Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#505758 12/01/18 06:54 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
R
OP Offline
R
I just installed BIAB 2019. When I try to drag a MIDI or audio file from BIAB to my DAW I get this error message:

Windows Audio Session error: Could not select the default input device. The error number is -9985

I did not get this with latest installation of my BIAB 2018 (though perhaps I did when I first installed it).

So is there some setting I need to change or what?

RLWilson #505759 12/01/18 07:07 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Windows Audio Session = WAS driver.

The WAS driver sometimes creates issues if soundcard settings are mismatched.

Try this and see if it helps...

1. Under the "Audio" menu, select "Audio Drivers/Settings".

2. Change the audio driver to MME rather than WAS.

3. OK your way out of the settings window.

Does this bring better success?

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #505772 12/01/18 08:40 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I tried that but it didn't seem to work.

Thanks though for the tip.

Looks like I will have to leave a message on live help.

RLWilson #505924 12/02/18 09:22 AM
R
OP Offline
R
BTW, I can sort of work around this problem using the VST version of Band in a Box.

That is a cool feature and it seems to be a way to import sounds from BIAB to my DAW in spite of the problems I am having doing that by dragging tracks over to my DAW.

RLWilson #505933 12/02/18 10:31 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Check your (MME, ASIO if you have it and WAS)driver settings to make sure everything is a 44.1K Hz. Some audio devices default to a 48K Hz setting.

Mismatched settings between program versus Windows settings can also cause the error code you're experiencing.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
RLWilson #505990 12/02/18 02:30 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I set my DAW to 44.1 Khz and 16 bits. Should it be 16 or 24 bits or 432?

It seems my BIAB audio is 48K and I am nor seeing how to change that.

RLWilson #505998 12/02/18 03:51 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Your audio should be set to 44.1, 16-bit.

The way to adjust this differs depending on your soundcard. One way that should work:

find the little volume control speaker icon in the taskbar on the lower right of your screen

left-click and open volume mixer

double-click on the device that is your main soundcard for audio

go to the Advanced tab

the pull-down options should include 2-channel, 16 bit 44100 Hz, CD Quality

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
RLWilson #506073 12/03/18 01:15 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Both my computers bulked at MME but was fine with ASIO. Little playing around and I found something they liked.

...Deb

Matt Finley #506252 12/03/18 11:03 AM
R
OP Offline
R
That looks promising!

However, when I left click on my speaker volume control icon nothing happens.

RLWilson #506280 12/03/18 12:33 PM
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi,

This error just means you didn't have a microphone plugged in, usually nothing to worry about. smile

If you don't plug a mic into your mic input, Windows turns the input off. Band-in-a-Box is just telling you that you won't be able to record audio (which I'm assuming you weren't trying to do without a microphone).

Is playback still working? Also, are you able to drag and drop? The inability to record audio shouldn't affect that process.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

RLWilson #506350 12/03/18 05:09 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I am not able to drag and drop (either MIDI or audio) and was thinking this error was the reason why?

Apparently from what you are saying that is not the case.

I was able to drag and drop with my BIAB 2018 installment but perhaps it may not be a BIAB 2019 problem I am having but just a settings got messed up when I upgraded to BIAB 2019.

RLWilson #506355 12/03/18 05:51 PM
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: RLWilson
I set my DAW to 44.1 Khz and 16 bits.

Usually i work with 44.1, but at least 24bits. That is specific for audio projects. Cubase automatically converts imported 16bit BIAB files to 24bits, even up to 32bits floating if needed. You''l have more headroom to mess with plugins etc. Never worked with 88.2 or 96 kHz. My RME interface can, but it uses a lot of xtra disk space. Would choose that if recording live classical stuff.

However 16bit can sound quite good, especially when you slave the hardware to a proper wordclock, either from an expensive Apogee, or internal word clock generator with the quality RME's hardware usually has. Found this out some 12 years ago recording a classical orchestra. All went 24bits via a brand new Allen&Heath digital mixing desk system on to a laptop, and for recording backup i brought my old Akai DR8 slaved to the clock from an Alesis Masterlink. Both composer and director choose the Akai's recordings for their CD when playing it back from both systems.

If you work on video projects 48 kHz might be a better option .....

And for show stopper: Analogue properly set up recording techniques still sound better. Stacking digital channels towards a stereo mix in a PC to me sounds always muddier, than the same with Analogue multichannel stuff. Pianos an cymbals suffer most from digital IMO. Why i like RME digital hardware, after buying that i sold my pro 1/2 inch Tascam 8-track recorder. -F

RLWilson #506535 12/04/18 10:41 AM
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Hi RLWilson,

If you go to Options - Preferences - Audio, and change the Audio Driver Type to MME, does drag and drop start working? If not, please describe what happens when you try, and we'll figure it out. smile

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

RLWilson #506537 12/04/18 10:55 AM
R
OP Offline
R
When I set Audio Driver type to MME and the try to drag and drop (for either a MIDI or an audio track) nothing much happens. I no longer get the error 9985 message as I did before and the little timer wheel spins for a few seconds but nothing else happens.

BTW, I have a hazy recollection that I had this problem originally with my BIAB 2018 as well but cannot now remember for sure if that indeed was the case nor how if it was I fixed it last year when I upgraded to BIAB 2018.

One other possible clue. Every time I upgrade *for example to build 603 , the first time I ruin band in the box it hangs up and I have to restart it. But on the second (or sometimes third try) it seems to start working properly as g=far as I can tell (other than this problem).

BTW, my DAW I am using is Mixcraft 8.

Last edited by RLWilson; 12/04/18 11:02 AM.
RLWilson #506540 12/04/18 11:06 AM
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Are you dragging tracks into the Drop station at the top-left of Band-in-a-Box, and from there to Mixcraft, or just directly into Mixcraft? If you are using the Drop station, which step isn't working, dragging to the Drop station, or from the Drop station to Mixcraft?

Is there a folder called "DragDrop" in the Band-in-a-Box folder (usually C:\BB)? If not, please create it now and see if it solves the problem.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

RLWilson #506775 12/05/18 06:07 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Yes, I do have the folder DragDrop.

When I try to directly drag and drop the file shows up in DragDrop but never makes it to my DAW. But (yeah!) when I go through the drop station is does work. Thanks! I can live with that quite fine.

Also, I have learned a bit more about BIAB from all this and thanks so thanks again for the help!

RLWilson #506832 12/05/18 09:39 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Wow! Even better, build 604 has fixed this problem altogether! Way to go!

RLWilson #506844 12/05/18 10:08 AM
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
For the benefit of people searching for this error code and finding this post. As Kent said this is more of a notification then an error, and will only affect you if you try to record audio using your current driver settings, using the WAS driver type. It may help you to see the reason for the error. The notification states "could not select the default input device".

#1, if you go into the Options | Driver Setup | Audio Settings | Audio driver, you will see that "use default device" will be checked under input drivers.

#2, if you go into the Windows recording settings (generally, you can right-click on the Sound icon in the task bar | Sound --> Recording devices.), you'll probably see that the default input device selected is not available. You can change/disable input devices and default devices in this area of the control panel.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
RLWilson #506864 12/05/18 11:15 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I might suggest that if Error 9985 is just a notification then in the next build you might add that to the error message.

In fact every error message ought to some documentation that further describes what the error is, what causes, it and how it can be resolved.

On a different note. I am finding with build 604 I am getting a drone tone when I hit play sometimes when I load a saved song. I was able to get rid of it after messing around a bit but am not sure just how I did that or how to do it again.

The drone tome did not turn off whether when I hit the F12 key. It did stop when I stopped the song, but resumed when I restarted it.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,622
Posts735,187
Members38,519
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01
38,518 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185