Page 1 of 2 1 2
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
.....You should remember, there are thousands of people using all of this already. Some comments that you see are people wanting the plugin to work in a different way with their DAW or have additional features. Most, including me, are happy with how everything works now.....

Q. Are you one of the thousands of people that are happy with how everything works now ?

I spend most of my time finding workarounds for Biab to do things it should just do, this is an example getting a generated track to playback in sync with the current tracks in the DAW to see what track or multiriff fits best, a simple thing the VST should do but don't, yet apparently thousands of people are happy with this.
How to Sync Play BiabVST Tracks
Watch Video Demo

Journeyman
Journeyman
I upgraded from BiaB 2017 to BiaB 2019 specifically for the plugin. It will be a great thing when it is working correctly. Until then 2017 would be just as good for me.

"The desire for fame is the last infirmity cast off even by the wise."
Cornelius Tacitus
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Q. Are you one of the thousands of people that are happy with how everything works now ?

Yes.

I often see things discussed here on the forum where a technique is called a work around or deficiency in BIAB because it's done differently in BIAB than in Reaper, Sonar or Studio one DAW's. I interpret the technique to simply be the way it's done in BIAB rather than how the same process is handled in a DAW. I have never viewed BIAB to be a DAW. I see the same issue between Audacity and DAW's. Audacity is an Audio Editor and does not always function exactly like a DAW. That's not a deficiency but a difference. I'm happy with my car even though I know it would sink if I used it as a boat. Same concept in BIAB versus DAW with me.

I'm completely happy with BIAB because I use it to create audio/midi/chords and such and export to DAW or Stand alone Multitrack to do further processing.

I'm one of the thousands of people that are happy with how everything works in BiAB because I view the process of using BIAB to create tracks and the resulting output to be the same as if I hired session musicians to come into my studio and work on my projects. Once the session musicians have completed their workday, been paid and gone, you work with the tracks recorded or rehire them to come back and rerecord if necessary.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Veteran
Veteran
I am very happy to see that the progress have been made into adapting BIAB to modern software standards as we getting closer to the third decade of twenty first century. But I feel that VST is still far from where it has to be. It is a big step in the right direction, but only a step. I will wait until it matures, or at least fixed properly before using it.

Last edited by Rustyspoon#; 12/13/18 04:18 AM.
A
A_R Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
I mainly upgraded for the 64 bit version and the VST but after playing around with them for a couple days I'm back to using the 32 bit version, they look very promising but at this stage they're an early beta release at best, not something that should have been released as a retail product

Also the quantity of real tracks and styles continues to increase, 202 real tracks with this release, but There are only a few of them that I see myself actually using.

At this point it would make no difference to me if I was using version 2019 or an earlier version.

So I guess I'm excited about the prospects of a VST that actually functions like a VST, but I'm a little concerned that rather than a real VST all we'll get is a new name for the DAW plugin mode of Band in a Box that only allows us to drag and drop wav files into a DAW with a few new features added.

C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
Yes... and no.

New contents (realtracks, etc) are just great, as usual.

On the other hand, the program itself, to be honest, seems to be a little bit out of control, there are just too many bugs and things not working as they should everywhere, specially (but not only) on new features.

I bought BIAB to have a great time exploring new features and content, but I'm spending way more time fixing problems than actually using the program. This happens, more or less, every year, it's only that this year was worst than usually.

It's obvious that BIAB needs a complete rewrite from the scratch, its core code is more than 20 years old (255 bar limit, 8 character filenames, etc) and this is just too much for any piece of software. I suspect they are never going do that, so I hope they seriously concentrate on fixing bugs (there are MANY of them reported for years) instead of simply ignoring the bug reports and keep adding more and more buggy new features for 2020.

Last edited by Cerio; 12/13/18 05:30 AM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
No. I purchased the upgrade and I will love using the new RealTracks. But the excitement I felt learning about 64-bit and VST has mostly faded now that I see what they have delivered. It reminds me of the new GUI feature that I quickly turned off. And of the track renaming feature which I stopped using because it is not used consistently throughout the software. And of UserTracks which never seemed to reach their potential. And VideoTracks which should never have been added.

I think PGM have become too used to their easy-to-please-never-critical senior market. They have had little serious competition. The result is...a VST that appears to be little more than drag/drop wrapped in a VST. And the boss assures everyone that this is plenty. But pretty much every time a new user drops into the forum, especially younger pros, their first impression of BIAB is "what a mess"!

At this point I wish they would just stop adding weight and complexity and just do what they do best...RealTracks! I'll keep upgrading for RealTracks. They are truly AMAZING!

W
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
W
Yes and a little NO.
No: Lots of bugs. I think PG already knows most of them. 64-bit is a very good start, but there is a lot to do. VST, actually not a real progress compared to render the files and import it.
YES: I'm one of these old easy-to-please users. Since ATARI ST days. I saw a lot of progress in these years and yes, I trust PG that this will last. And I know even software engineers have to pay their rent. And I want the company to remain alive. And I have more money than in the old ATARI days.
And I like 64bit, maybe someday I like VST. And who knows someday it will be possible to work with real 6/8 bars. Hope I'm still alive

BIAB 2023 UltraPlusPAK, Cubase 12, Ethno , SC8850, MU80, QUASAR, Win 10 (64), U-PHORIA UMC 1820, Halion 7, Wavelab 11 Elements, Dorico 5 Elements,
Expert
Expert
Yes, I am relatively happy with the BiaB 2019...
I'm very happy with PG Music and their support efforts...
Love the Forum, in spite of some frustrated negativity.
The positive vibe & helpful nature of some here, far exceed the negative...

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Win-11; BiaB-2024-latest Beta;
Cakewalk; Melodyne-5; Scaler 2; NI Komplete:
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20

Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: bloc-head
Yes, I am relatively happy with the BiaB 2019...
I'm very happy with PG Music and their support efforts...
Love the Forum, in spite of some frustrated negativity.
The positive vibe & helpful nature of some here, far exceed the negative...

That's for sure ...

Originally Posted By: Pipeline
.... a simple thing the VST should do but don't, yet apparently thousands of people are happy with this ...

Ain't no VST (just yet?) .... and feel kind of 'cheated'. Still need all them quite time consuming ole hat-tricks to get what i want properly exported. Current thing i am working on is now at version 5 reworked in, and exported from BIAB.

A few more editable audiotracks there could help out. BIAB slaving to MTC or Midiclock is STILL NOT POSSIBLE ! Asked for that already 20 years ago, them Ataridays.

Tried realband as DAW few times, but it ain't flexible enough regarding midi data (grooving, selection of particular notes and special edits) and controller editing, and plugin handling IMO. But a lot of BIAB is great, like the RTs, the styles, printing leadsheets etc.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Yes, no, maybe. I upgrade every year just because. Primarily the real tracks. Every year I plan on digging into the program and actually learning how to use it. Last year I never even go around to registering it. This year is THE YEAR!

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Don't forget we are asking about "& BiabVST"
@Charlie Fogle is the VST working correctly for you ?

R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
From my reading, I'll register a "no" to the OP. Here's the Steinberg description of VST specs (2.0, not 3.0):

http://jvstwrapper.sourceforge.net/vst20spec.pdf

A key quote: "In the widest possible sense a VST-Plug-in is an audio process. A VST Plug-in is not an application. It needs a host application that handles the audio streams and makes use of the process the VST plug-in supplies. Generally speaking, it [a VST plugin] can take a stream of audio data, apply a process to the audio and send the result back to the host application."

From reports so far, sounds to me like the BB-VST is NOT receiving an audio stream from the host. Or just about any other data either except tempo. At any rate, if I gotta drag generated tracks manually from plugin to host track, how is this much different from what we can do already?

What saddens me the most is that the head of company says he's satisfied with it, which implies there'll be no further development. Say it aint so Peter.

-Ron

Last edited by rkl122; 12/13/18 12:10 PM.
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G

Q. Are you one of the thousands of people that are happy with how everything works now?

On the VSTi happiness, not so much... but I think it's a good start.

Last edited by gwp99; 12/13/18 12:35 PM.
Expert
Expert
I wrote somewhere else “look for a standard of excellence not perfection” I’m sure if you seek perfection you will be surely disappointed. There is always room for improvement.

I read somewhere else on the Forums a wish that BB did this or that. I thought to myself thank heavens it does not. We all have differing views on what constitutes perfection. It is impossible to cover for everyone’s views.

My thoughts

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Teunis
I wrote somewhere else “look for a standard of excellence not perfection” I’m sure if you seek perfection you will be surely disappointed. There is always room for improvement.

I read somewhere else on the Forums a wish that BB did this or that. I thought to myself thank heavens it does not. We all have differing views on what constitutes perfection. It is impossible to cover for everyone’s views.

My thoughts

Tony

While I generally agree, literally anything can be excused by this philosophy. I ordered a car and it came without wheels. Yes, I can purchase wheels and rig it up but when a common definition/expectation exists, receiving something less than that and complaining is not "seeking perfection". And as a previous poster pointed out, there is a clear definition of what a VST does and this, this ain't that! Also, I paid in actual currency and was not allowed to pay in shells or chickens even though those might have value!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 12/13/18 01:18 PM.
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Don't forget we are asking about "& BiabVST"
@Charlie Fogle is the VST working correctly for you ?

Yes it is now but didn't at first. I currently use Presonus Studio One 3.5 Professional and after the last BIAB update it began working. Before the last update, it was crashing S1 if I tried to load it.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 12/14/18 03:14 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
C
Expert
Online Content
Expert
C
Originally Posted By: Teunis

Many of the bug reports are referring to standard or very basic features: VST not being recognised or not following the tempo of the host, importing audio not working, songpicker not launching, transposing recorded audio not working, realtracks making aleatory noises... things like that.

Asking these features to get fixed shouldn't be wrong in a mature community. We all want the best for BIAB.

Last edited by Cerio; 12/13/18 03:49 PM.

BIAB 2024, latest build.
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
These are not weird and wonderful new features we are asking for here, they are the bleeding obvious:

Here's bleeding obvious that took 10 years to do
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=509231#Post509231

So here is the way to use BiabVST now as there is no purpose of it being "in" the DAW:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=509307#Post509307

B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
I'd have to say NO about the BiaB-VST.

I mainly upgraded to 2019 to move to the Audiophile version.

My workflow has been, Create in BiaB, Load into RB, Add more tracks, Export to DAW.
I thought the VST might make that faster & easier, but that's not happening yet.

I thought 64-bit would enable the use of better VSTi's. IDK yet, but we'll see.

I hope & expect to see improvements to the VST and to the program itself.
All that said, there really isn't anything else like BiaB.

Boyd
Win10 - 16GB-RAM - BiaB 2019 - Mixbus 4 - Slate Bundle - Komplete 10 - Ozone 8 - Neutron 2 - Waves Gold
Ample Sound Guitars & Basses - Pianoteq 6 - SSD5 - SD3 - JamStix 4 - Omnisphere - UVI Falcon - EastWest Play
Sonarworks Reference 4 -
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199