Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#591099 04/10/20 08:52 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
OP Offline
S
I'm new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice from those who know a lot more about this than me. I play guitar through an Atomic AmpliFire and at the moment I play in a band but once this Covid-19 scare clears up I'll be moving to China to work for a couple of years. At my age I doubt I'll ever play in a band again so I'd like something to play along with and something to possibly record with as I develop my own ideas. Band-in-a-Box seems like a great option but I do have a number of questions:

1) Can I do all of this with BIAB?
2) Will I need a separate DAW?
3) I will need some sort of interface and an iRig HD2 comes with AmpliTube 4 so would I be better using my Atomic for my guitar tones or would it be easier/better using AmpliTube?
4) If I do need a separate DAW, I've already tried Studio One and found it so complicated that I ended up recording nothing at all. Which is the easiest DAW for a bone-head like me to use with BIAB?
5) Of all the options for BIAB, which one would be best suited to what I'm looking for?

If you need any further information, please just ask as I really am feeling a bit lost with this.

Many thanks.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
BiaB is a great resource to create backing tracks to play along with. It comes with a free DAW called Realband. Many will tell you it not good but that is a subjective opinion. The combo of BiaB and RB can be very effective to accomplish what you want to do. If you want to practice or want to capture ideas and such there is enough to keep you busy.

I have studio one and find it easy but I have been doing this since well forever. The advantage to RB is it opens BiaB files and you can add to them.

Last edited by Rob Helms; 04/10/20 09:50 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Journeyman
Journeyman
A friend just left China after 5-6 years teaching American (culture, language, etc.) to children. She is now in Poland - teaching adults this time.

You are going to have the time of your life.

As for BIAB and RB, it will accomplish everything you want.

...Deb

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Slartibartfarst4
... Band-in-a-Box seems like a great option but I do have a number of questions:

1) Can I do all of this with BIAB?
2) Will I need a separate DAW?
3) I will need some sort of interface and an iRig HD2 comes with AmpliTube 4 so would I be better using my Atomic for my guitar tones or would it be easier/better using AmpliTube?
4) If I do need a separate DAW, I've already tried Studio One and found it so complicated that I ended up recording nothing at all. Which is the easiest DAW for a bone-head like me to use with BIAB?
5) Of all the options for BIAB, which one would be best suited to what I'm looking for?

If you need any further information, please just ask as I really am feeling a bit lost with this.

Many thanks.

My suggestions for 1, 2, 4 and 5 :
1,2: You should be able to deliver just about everything with BiaB and probably not need a separate DAW.
4: BiaB includes a mixer which can be used to manipulate data on each of its tracks (levels, pan, choice of instruments, genres, etc). It's not a DAW, but if you want a band to play along with, this will certainly work straight out of the box.
5: Go for the highest package that your budget allows.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Most of your questions have been answered but I will add that RealBand only comes with the PC version of BiaB. Since you do not have a DAW now just learn RealBand. Most all of the commands are similar between DAWs, there is usually just terminology and GUI differences. Note that I found Studio One Pro very easy, but I have been recording since the late 1970 using sequencers back then.

I suggest that you get the Ultra pak. This includes everything and most people end up upgrading to it. The BiaB engine is the same in all purchasing options, it is just the number of add ons that increase. That is your will get more MIDI styles, RealTracks, RealDums, and those accompanying styles.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks guys, this is awesome! It's particularly encouraging to find a friendly and active forum for support and advice as I'm sure I'll need it. I think I had two problems with Studio One, the main one being that I'm 55 years old and never tried recording a single thing in my life so I have absolutely zero knowledge of the technology. The other issue was that I'm currently in the Falklands where the internet is very limited, very expensive and VERY slow so when I downloaded Studio One it took a long time and perhaps some features didn't download properly. That said, I'm sure it was more down to my total incompetence with the technology!

The UltraPak is a lot of money so I was hoping to get away with buying a cheaper option but if most people end up moving up to that anyway, I guess it's more cost effective in the long run. Now I just need to decide if I'm going to ship my entire pedalboard to China and play through my Atomic or just use AmpliTube. Covid-19 permitting, I should be back in the UK for 5 or 6 weeks before flying out to China so I can always give AmpliTube a try and if I don't like it, I'll ship the pedalboard. I'll be teaching English language to Chinese students in an international school so I'm looking forward to the adventure. I've been on holiday to China before and absolutely loved the experience so working there for two years should be an incredible experience.

Veteran
Veteran
PG Music have a 30-day money back guarantee. It's possible to use this to an advantage when making decisions.

What I suggest is...

1. Buy the entry level BIAB (the ProPAK). This is able to be downloaded relatively easily and wouldn't incur the cost of a separate hard drive (this or the freight associated with it might not be refundable, I don't know).

The entry level of the program has a limited number of styles Realtracks, Realdrums and MIDI Supertracks. It has sufficient instruments and styles, though, for playing around with and for making an informed judgement as to whether or not BIAB is for you.

2. If you don't like it, ask for your money back (if it's within 30 days, that is).

3. If you do like the program, consider upgrading to the UltraPAK. This gives the user everything that is available (except for Realtracks, Realdrums and MIDI Supertracks that are only available as Bonus material).

If this interests you, BIAB will refund the ProPAK purchase towards the cost of the UltraPAK.

The above is something that you should discuss with PG Music sales staff just to confirm that it's possible.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Slartibartfarst4
...being that I'm 55 years old and never tried recording a single thing in my life so I have absolutely zero knowledge of the technology.

Oh, just a youngster around these parts. grin

Welcome to the forum.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< "I'm 55 years old and never tried recording a single thing in my life so I have absolutely zero knowledge of the technology." >>>

You are a perfect candidate for a stand alone digital multi track recorder. They are easy to learn. Easy to navigate and you can be up and running in minutes. If you can record a song on a cassette deck, you can record a song on a multi track recorder. These folks are not kidding when they tell you it's taken them years to be comfortable recording with a computer and DAW and most will tell you they are still learning.

I recommend you purchase the Ultra Pak version of BIAB from the start. If you like it you're done. If you don't like it and return it for a refund, the 30 day return policy applies to every version, not just the cheapest entry version.

If you like it, you have everything you will need to produce quality backing tracks and will not have to deal with the frustration of not having all the Styles and RealTracks or dealing with international shipping and waiting to have all the fun BIAB offers.

It is quite easy to get BIAB backing tracks into a digital Multi Track song project and then add any additional instrument parts you play and vocals. You can mix and master a project to completion using a multi track recorder. Some models will operate for hours from battery power allowing you to record anywhere and in areas where mains power may not be reliable or you may reside in an area where the view is beautiful and musically inspiring. Modern units use SD cards and have USB so they can also be used in conjunction with computers and DAW's for advanced editing if it's necessary.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Expert
Online Content
Expert
just a quick plug for the BIAB download manager. once you've installed the basic package you can let the program download the larger files that make up RealTracks.

i live in the mainland UK so maybe our broadband is better than yours but for downloads you can just let BIAB look after itself.

Apprentice
Online Content
Apprentice
For recording, I agree with Charlie Fogle.
I bought a portable 8 track about 3 years ago and life suddenly was simpler.
As hobbyist I was being put off with ensuring correct compatibility, connections etc when recording to PC. Also being tied to the PC wasn't always convenient, with the portable I can set up anywhere in a few minutes.
Mixing is possible on the portable but you'll have more options by transferring files to a DAW, RealBand is a good starting point since it is compatible with BIAB.

Good Luck
Vintage

S
OP Offline
S
This all sounds like good advice and it's good to know that I'm not the only old fart here!

It seems to me that I will be able to do pretty much all that I want with BIAB, even if the recorder that comes with it is more limited than a DAW like Studio One. Basically, as long as I can create a track and then record my own guitar tones on top of that, I should be good to go. If BIAB is compatible with a digital multi track recorder and it's as easy to work as an old cassette player, I can always go that route if I need more. That, however, is for another day.

I should be flying back to the UK on June 16th so I think I'll either get the BIAB program sent there or download it when I get back to the UK. I'm not sure if one is a better option than the other. I certainly won't download it here as my entire monthly (and costly) allowance is only 9GB. I can download for free between midnight and 6.00am but it's only a download speed of 3mbps at best and if I try to mdownload the Ultrpak it could take most of the rest of the year!!!

Apprentice
Online Content
Apprentice
If you can download when in UK do so, otherwise you could be stung with customs and processing fees.

Vintage

Veteran
Veteran
Since it has been raised, I'd just like to say that I have never used a digital multitrack recorder.

What I use to create my tracks are BIAB, Realband and Reaper (a DAW). I suspect that this is true of the large majority of people on these forums.

I suggest that before racing out and buying a multitrack recorder, try working without it and see if you need it.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: Noel96
Since it has been raised, I'd just like to say that I have never used a digital multi track recorder.

What I use to create my tracks are BIAB, RealBand and Reaper (a DAW). I suspect that this is true of the large majority of people on these forums.

I suggest that before racing out and buying a multi track recorder, try working without it and see if you need it.

Noel, the first DAW was introduced in 1977. Even into the 1990's when DAW's were becoming commonplace, they were not the industry standard, either in professional studios or the home recording market. Multi track recorders were the standard. Tascam introduced the first Porta Studio cassette multi track recorder in 1979. Bruce Springsteen famously made his first album release, "Nebraska" on a Porta Studio. By the 1990's, most major artists were bringing tracks to their major studio recording sessions that they made using their 'home' studios. Alesis and Tascam and other manufacturers had digital recorders that were equally at home in home studios and commercial studios. For instance, Tascam's Da-88 digital 8 Track Recorder.

There are various configurations of multi track recorders that focus on different types of recording environments. There are field recorders that place emphasis on capturing audio for film and to replace the poor audio of video cameras. Others have recording and editing features that work best for interviews and live venue recordings. Then, there's the multi track configuration with recording and editing best suited for a music studio audio recording. While it's best results will be obtained by using a recorder in the environment its designed for, any multi track recorder can be adapted and give adequate results in any environment.

Multi tracks are nowhere near being obsolete or out of date and out of fashion. Today, in major commercial studios that have the latest DAW but still have Mixing consoles function as a multi track recorder during tracking when they input into the mixer and out to the multi tracks of their DAW. Presonus's Studio Live Mixers are examples of digital mixers with a DAW mode that allows the Studio Live to function not only as a mixer, but also a DAW controller. The Zoom R8, R16 and R24 do the same. Zoom's line of l-8,l12, l20 as well as their line of digital table control mixers all create multi track recorders. Behringer's X 18 and X 32 the same. Other major brands like Yamaha, Peavey and Mackie all have models that combine mixers with recorders or DAWs to create multi track recorders. Tascam's new mixers, the Model 24 and 16 have multi track SD recorders for multi track recording without use of a computer. BIAB can operate marvelously as a multi track recorder. The biggest difference being it generates tracks rather than have artists perform tracks.

Multi track recorders designed for the music studio environment are mixer/ recorder combinations that contain proprietary OS systems that include DAW editing and mastering functions, built in digital effects, routing options, external input/outputs, phantom power, MIDI Control, monitoring and in some models, hundreds of virtual tracks. The latest models use SD cards for storage and can connect to computers with USB connections. So while they can operate as a stand alone mixer/recorder, they can also easily communicate and transfer files to and from a computer's DAW and utilize any VST's and plug ins you may already have or purchase.

For someone like the original poster, advanced in age and having no background or experience with DAW and computer technology, who would rather spend their time making music over having to learn computer set ups, specs, deal with crashes, latency, drivers, ASIO, MME, WAS, interfaces, USB2, USB3, firewire, virtual routing, porting, mixing with a mouse rather than real buttons, knobs and faders, a multi track recorder is a smart choice to consider. Folks go to four year colleges to learn the ins and outs of digital work stations and still have to work internships when they enter the job market. It would not be a bit unusual for the this original poster or a hundred other people to purchase a DAW and it take a week to get everything set up, hearing sound and recording tracks. With a stand alone digital multi track recorder with music studio features, they will have completed multiple recordings in that week.

Today's digital multi track recorders are not inferior to computer DAWs. Even the cheapest models can record commercial grade quality audio using external preamps, DAW's and other external gear.

It's my personal belief someone can make better recordings with equipment they understand and can use over more expensive, complex tools they don't understand the software nor many times the audio principles necessary to properly use all of the tools of the DAW. A stand alone may not come with 2,200 compressors, eq's, and reverb/delays but they will have quality stock plug ins that will get the job done adequately and always have access to export tracks easily to a DAW or to an mix engineer for advanced processing.

I agree that using a computer and DAW is the norm. That does not equate to a DAW being the best choice for every one. Only the original poster is in a position to make the choice to what best suits his needs, but I suggest he review all the options and not simply follow the crowd for the sake of being part of the crowd.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Apprentice
Online Content
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

For someone like the original poster, advanced in age and having no background or experience with DAW and computer technology, who would rather spend their time making music over having to learn computer set ups, specs, deal with crashes, latency, drivers, ASIO, MME, WAS, interfaces, USB2, USB3, firewire, virtual routing, porting, mixing with a mouse rather than real buttons, knobs and faders, a multi track recorder is a smart choice to consider. Folks go to four year colleges to learn the ins and outs of digital work stations and still have to work internships when they enter the job market. It would not be a bit unusual for the this original poster or a hundred other people to purchase a DAW and it take a week to get everything set up, hearing sound and recording tracks. With a stand alone digital multi track recorder with music studio features, they will have completed multiple recordings in that week.

Wot Charlie said.
For an "occasional" recorder like myself this is a simpler method, I can copy a guide track into the recorder, attach a decent mic or D.I. and I'm ready to rock.
However, I can see that those who record regularly would have a more dedicated system than us lowly dabblers smile , and would consider a recorder to be an unnecessary extra step.

Vintage

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Charlie,

Thank you for all that information. I knew none of it and I appreciate the time it took for you to put it together! I now feel a little more knowledgeable.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I do like the idea of a digital multi track recorder, first and only multitrack I ever bought in 1995 was a Yamaha cassette based the MT4X a 4 track, hasn't seen the light of day in years but probably just keeping it for old times sake. Digital recorders were just about becoming popular at that time, the cassette as far as I remember on its last legs.

If I was going to buy another digital one, I would look for one with lots of built in effects and with as large as possible LCD display, to help my poor old eyes.

But with modern technology even in a simple digital recorder there are lots of menu to navigate and my personal opinion its probably just as easy to try to get to grips with a software DAW, most of the basics anwyays.

Still there is something nice in owning a nice digital recorder and having real hardware to record and touch those faders etc.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
MT4X.jpg (56.47 KB, 110 downloads)
Last edited by musiclover; 04/12/20 08:29 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
Apprentice
Online Content
Apprentice
I had a Yamaha like that, bought around '89 or '90, think it was the MT3X.
It could be synched to a midi sequencer by recording the midi code, via the appropriate cables, onto track 1. It was pretty good for the time but suffered from hiss and the associated noise issues of 1/4 inch tape.
Interestingly, at the time it was about £400 (According to Google About £900 today) whereas my digital 8 track, with considerably less noise and much better spec was about £170 three years ago.

Vintage

S
OP Offline
S
Lots of wise words here!

Despite the cost, BIAB looks like the way to go so I will be making that investment. I'll still need some sort of interface, even if I take my Atomic to China. The iRig HD2 and Focusrite Scarlett Solo both look like solid options. The iRig obviously comes with AmpliTube 4 so that's possible guitar tones in case I don't take the Atomic so that could be very handy. The Focusrite, which I suspect is better quality, also comes with free downloads of 'Ableton Live Lite, Pro Tools First, Focusrite Red 2 & Red 3 Plug-in Suite, Softube Time & Tone Bundle and a software tool of 4 XLN Audio Addictive Keys of your choice.' Unfortunately, I have no idea what any of that means other than knowing Ableton and Pro Tools are DAWs. Is any of the rest of it guitar tones like AmpliTube?

I'm certainly going to initially just use BIAB for recording and if I feel I need more, I'll explore that problem then. If I do get something, it will certainly be something that is as simple as possible, works with BIAB and allows me to focus on playing rather than learning computer software. Charlie's comments were VERY interesting and useful, though it's the first time somebody has gone as far as describing me as 'advanced in age'!!! I know I'm old but I'd never thought of 55 as being 'advanced in age' before smile

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,098
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon
38,515 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185