Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I'm wondering if there's a way to force BiaB to spell things correctly in the notation window. Obviously, the sounds are not affected, it's just that, with a couple of chords in a piece I'm writing, BiaB insists on spelling the chords for the rhythm instruments and the melody associated with them incorrectly.

The piece is in the key of A. I have a D#m7b5 chord and the melody has an F#, which is the minor third in a D# minor chord. But BiaB insists on spelling the note in the chords and the melody as a Gb, even though the key signature has an F#. When I right click on the note in the melody and specify "sharp.' It will show the F# after I've done this, but as soon as I start the playback again, the notation changes to a Gb. Also, with an Fm7b5 chord, the b5 is a Cb, not a B. Once again, when I right click on the B and indicate a "flat," the notation changes to a Cb, but as soon as I click on the playback, it reverts to a B. Same goes for the rhythm instruments with this chord -- they're playing B's and not Cb's.

I have discovered that if I correct the misspellings in the melody and then go to print the chart that these corrections are preserved. So, there's that at least because I print out my charts. But when I save the file, the corrections aren't preserved. I'm sure these two examples aren't the only ones where BiaB misspells things, I just wish it wouldn't. Call it a pet peeve if you want. But I prefer accuracy.

PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Yes, you can change this by clicking | Options | Preferences | Notation | and toggling the | Use chord scale for enharmonics | option in this window. As it explains when hovering over the option, "If enabled, not accidentals will be based on chord scales rather than the key of the song. For example, in the key of Eb, an Eb note will appear as D# over a B7 chord. This is because B7 implies the E major scale which uses D# instead of Eb."

Hope this helps!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2022-06-27 144621.png (27.29 KB, 243 downloads)

Best,

Jerry
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks, Jerry -- I was looking at that window just yesterday and wondering what that box did. It wasn't clicking when I read it. But then I was looking for something else.

So I tried it out just now, and I'm getting mixed results. Some notes in the melody automatically get fixed, while others aren't. So it doesn't seem to pay attention to enharmonic spelling in all cases.

Like the Cb instead of B, for instance with the Fm7b5 chord. At another location, with this same chord, it's spelling an Ab (minor 3rd of an Fm chord) as a G# and won't accept my manual input. If it insists on G# because of the key signature, it seems to me that it must first look at the chord to determine the correct spelling of the melody. But guess what? It misspells the chord too. In the piano track, that Fm7b5 is spelled using G#'s and B's (Ab is the minor 3rd and Cb is the b5), so it's become some nonsense chord if you're trying to figure out the harmony by just analyzing the piano track.

With that D#m7b5, it automatically corrected that Gb to a F#, plus there was also a Db that got corrected to a C#, but in that same melodic run there's another Gb an octave below that didn't auto correct and it wouldn't accept my manual correction to an F#.

So, things are a little better now, but not yet fixed.

Last edited by cooltouch; 06/27/22 04:25 PM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
You can also use the Force Accidental feature in Editable Notation mode to force an enharmonic spelling of the note. To do this, enter Editable Notation mode and right-click on the note, then select ForcedAccidental and select whether you want to force it to the natural, flat, or sharp enharmonic.

Hope this helps!

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Screenshot 2022-06-28 105415.png (27.78 KB, 207 downloads)

Best,

Jerry
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yeah, that's the only way I know how to try, at least, to change a note's spelling. Whenever I mention trying to change a note's spelling above, that was the feature I was using.

Apprentice
Apprentice
It still happens:
The problem isn't resolved.

At first, force accidentals and unchecking the box (in Notation options) "use chord scale for enharmonics" seems to work.
As long as you don't press Play: then your leadsheet goes back to the wrong notation.
Just as Cooltouch notices it gets it wrong on printing...
Have tried saving the song after every "force", but it doesn't help.

It's certainly not wrong to complain. This should be corrected.
I believe what sets Band in a Box apart from other accompaniment software is the ability to have a lead sheet. It's reasonable to expect it works properly.

ForceAccidental.jpg (94.1 KB, 154 downloads)
Editing the note in notation. Looks like it's working
biabNotationoptions.png (70.35 KB, 153 downloads)
Just to make sure: not using chord scales...
BIABEditNote.jpg (82.69 KB, 153 downloads)
All looks fine, till you press "play". Then all goes back to the same situation as before forcing the accidental.

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Check out these great contemporary Jazz Styles: www.jazzstylezz.com
Apprentice
Apprentice
Want to see an absurd example?

No? Well... here it is anyway.

Bb note on a Bb chord. In the example the key is F (one flat) and the chord, I repeat myself is Bb. Changed the note repeatedly, forced accidental to flat, unchecked "use chord scale...". After pressing play or trying to print the lead sheet, it invariably goes back to A#.

This should be corrected. Thanks.

BIABBflatasAsharp.jpg (41.35 KB, 148 downloads)
Really, A# on a Bb chord.
Last edited by Dzjang; 08/24/22 02:09 AM. Reason: Had to add something

Biab, Kontakt, Sampletank and lots of nice libraries, from Fluffy audio to Abbey Road drums.
Apprentice
Apprentice

[/quote]
Originally Posted By: Jerry - PG Music
You can also use the Force Accidental feature in Editable Notation mode to force an enharmonic spelling of the note. To do this, enter Editable Notation mode and right-click on the note, then select ForcedAccidental and select whether you want to force it to the natural, flat, or sharp enharmonic.

Hope this helps!

It doesn’t, sadly. Thx for following up on this.

Veteran
Veteran
I agree, Dzjang.

Just today, in the key of E major, I forced an F natural on the Melody track to E#. It looked fine. The minute I double-clicked in Notation View to start playback, though, the E# reverted back to F natural.

I've reported it to the developers.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
I am dismayed by this but cannot remember the chain of events that got us here. What changed and when, and did it ever work correctly?

I don’t think Force Accidental has always been available, though it goes way back (decades, I think). Likewise enharmonic notation has been improved with E# and B#, Fb and Cb, but this was added not that many years ago.

It seems to me that the most important error here is in the inability for a manual change to ‘stick’. Then it would be nice to explain why in the Dzjang example the A# appears at all. As far as I can remember, BIAB has always done this on occasion (thus the need for the Force Accidental function to be added). But again, I’m not positive about the history of any of this. I think if anyone knows, it could be useful in tracking down what’s happening here.

Again: what changed and when, and did it ever work correctly?

Perhaps one of you could post an offending song, and someone from PG Music could test on earlier versions of BIAB. A few users can do this kind of testing also; I’m pretty sure John Ford can run versions from years ago.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Matt and Dzjang,

I don't usually pay attention to pop-ups. I guess I'm so used to seeing them appear that I treat them too casually. Tonight when I double-checked my E# issue, I notice that PG Music have included a pop-up with forcing accidentals that clearly states that it does not work with Cb and E#.

While this solves my issue, it doesn't doesn't explain the A# that Dzjang has encountered.

Regards,
Noel

924 E sharp issue popup.JPG (42.06 KB, 104 downloads)
Last edited by Noel96; 08/24/22 06:28 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Not at a computer now: can it display B# or Fb?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Apprentice
Apprentice
@Noel and Matt. Thanks for suggestions and looking into it.

The Cb and E# thing makes sense to me, too. Even if, for the sake of using chord scales, Cb or E# would make sense. I know really good readers, like those working professional classical orchestras have no trouble reading double flats or sharps on top of -say- a key signature of Ab, but, for the ordinary musician, reading is already hard. And an F is an F and E# is is F. So, I dig that feature. Professional classical players will turn to Finale and Sibelius anyway.

To look up the history of it is a clever idea. Since 2022 has a lot of issues with midi style making or editing, I still use 2018 a lot. So, to my surprise, the Bb was written as a Bb and not A#. The wrong note in the example above (C# instead of Db, since we’re in a F, a key with one flat) was still there.

When I corrected it in editable notation in BB2018, it survived hitting play AND even closing Biab2018 and reopening it.. BB2018 has other issues, so I am not using it for practice let alone performance, but it handles forcing accidentals just fine.

So, there must be a mistake in saving forced accidentals that crept in after version 2018.

Veteran
Veteran
Excellent. There you go. Now the developers need to compare the 2018 code for this function to the 2022 code.

Force accidental persists on my old windows machine running BIAB 2016 (438). It does not persist on my new windows machine running BIAB Version 2022 (927). It's embarrassing to give horn players a chart with a Db on beat 4 of measure 1, and a C# on beat 1 of measure 2. They yell at me!

I chatted with service about this today to no avail.

By the way, I was enjoying Brazilian Wish in my car today! You're THAT Matt Finley, right?

Veteran
Veteran
Well, yes. Thanks, pjred. You can't live all that far from me if you're 80 miles north of the city. I'm about 95.

Just checking, in that example you just gave, did you set the correct key signature of the song first? It often makes a difference in what accidental BIAB chooses for enharmonic notes.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,741
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191