Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I'm very new at the game so keep from laughing long enough to post an answer for me. I use Band In A Box 2010. Thank you in advance ...

Computer: I have a high-end quad-core Win7/64-bit PC with built-in 7.1 sound (includes S/PDIF output jack).

Audio System: I have a very high-end Sony audio receiver (rated at 1000 watts) that has 7.1 home theater features (including S/PDIF and RCA) along with a Yamaha 7.1 surround speaker system.

Question 1: This is a multi-question ... Is there any way that I could use these components together as a music performance PA system ? The sound from my Sony audio system is just amazing and I'm wondering why I can't use this instead of buying a new PA system. I was also considering the Bose L1 but it's pricey. Why wouldn't my high-end Sony system compete with the output of the Bose L1 ?

Question 2: Shouldn't I be able to use my home audio system to also digitally record from my PC (onto CD) ?

Ike
Veteran
Veteran
Question 1-
What will the 'PA' be used for? Performances in venues, or just home listening?

Question 2-
You said the computer has s/pdif out. So you can send the signal from the computer.
Does the Sony system have s/pdif in? And a way to burn CD's from there? I'm wondering if you were actually asking about going the other way and record from the Sony system into the PC (?) ..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
I'm confused about question #2 as well.
As far as using the Sony for a PA I say why not. There was a time when there was a big toss off between power and quality. Sound reinforcement stuff had lots of power but the quality wasn't there. Home stuff had quality but no power. This issue is not so much an issue any longer. It still all depends on what size venue. Also that 1000watts may be one of the inflated claims. The speakers in home systems are not as efficient also. There are many factors. Take the system some where and try it is what I would do. Personally I hate most of the PA speakers in the lower price range. A single 15" with a 2" horn will get the sound out there but boy do I hate that 2" horn.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Why not?

Because the AV Receiver was *NOT* designed to withstand the rigors of a lot of moving about.

It should also not be subjected to the vibrations of the road until all internal components have cooled down completely.

The connections on the AV receiver were not designed for constant connect/disconnect cycles.

Power Amplifiers designed for the job at hand are very inexpensive these days, I'd say this needs a rethink.

--Mac

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Mac,

I'm in agreement here. I can see where you're coming from. No way I want to mess up that Sony audio system -- too new and expensive for trial and error method.

Got question #2 figured out guys -- Thank you!

Ike
J
J
Quote:

Personally I hate most of the PA speakers in the lower price range. A single 15" with a 2" horn will get the sound out there but boy do I hate that 2" horn.

Champagne taste with a beer budget?
Check out DIY...
Voight pipes, Zigmahornets, and Fitzmaurice plans.
Voight pipe speaker cabinets
Zigmahornet review
Bill Fitzmaurice Designs

The most inexpensive is the single speaker Zigmahornet.
The most efficient is the DR200 / DR250 by Bill Fitzmaurice designs.
(Will cause cognitive dissonance, when you see melded crossfired piezo arrays and double reverse folded horns)

Veteran
Veteran
Well he didn't say he was going to drag it around 7 nights a week. Of course it would be crazy to think it would hold up. He just asked if there was a way to use it and yes there is. Maybe he just wants to go out and test drive the whole idea at some small little venue and doesn't want to go out and buy a legitimate PA before it's even determined that he'll like doing this. That was my approach here. His home system will not disintegrate the minute it goes out the door.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The past year I've been working two days a week, parttime bench repairing AV receivers and systems at a local warranty and high end audio house. Times being what they are, I'm grateful for the work.

it ain't worth the risk in $$ IMHO to press one of these AV receivers into road duty service as a live performance for music in local venues.

For one thing, the specs are rather tight, typical idle currents for the 7 power amps inside these things being as low as 1.5mV.

Plenty of other reasons not to try this one, some would include subjecting the typical internal CPU to the stresses of "onlocation" power and the like, speaker hookup to typical twiston or banana jack config, which in the heat of live performance setup can easily result in a frayed wire short that will take out an expensive power amp or two, those typical plastic RCA inputs that are not securely fastened to the panel but merely soldered to the PC board, they are not designed for that type of duty, sometimes I wonder if they were designed for the duty intended at home from the number of failures encountered, then there is the complexity of the system and setup itself -- quite often we end up declaring an NPF or No Problem Found after an hour or more of testing every function and then there's the fault that is very common -- CPU/DSP gets in a confused state or the consumer gets confused when programming or using it and the thing appears to be broken. Sometimes a Reset involves more than just performing the Secret Button Code, meaning going inside and knowing what to power down and how and when.

Myself, if faced between the choice between using a typical >$1000.00 7.1 ch AV Receiver or a ~$300-400.00 Power Amp designed for PA use, its a no-brainer.

My bench charges are at $85.00/HR and frankly we are workin' cheap as it is.

Typical parts and labor charge to rebuild just one of the internal power amps inside the typical mid to highend AV receiver can come to quite a bit of money, often MORE than the cost of said PA Power Amp in entirety.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Mac,
I certainly can't argue with any of that. In fact I'm really on the wrong side of that argument as a don't want to give the wrong impression. Is an AV system a substitute for a PA? NO. Would I buy an AV system for a PA? NO. If I presently had an AV system and wanted to test drive my BIAB Band before spending $1000 or more on a system would I use it? Yes

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
J
J
Is there any way that I could use these components together as a music performance PA system ? The sound from my Sony audio system is just amazing and I'm wondering why I can't use this instead of buying a new PA system. I was also considering the Bose L1 but it's pricey. Why wouldn't my high-end Sony system compete with the output of the Bose L1 ?

[] Prerecorded music is usually modified and its dynamic range limited; a live performer often "hits the ceiling" with output spikes in dynamic content (unless there's a compressor / limiter on the instrument and/or singer)
[] Live performance audio systems are designed for playing loud (and dealing with the waste heat generated - heavy duty wiring, cooling fans, circuit breakers, output limiters, etc)
[] Live performance audio systems are not necessarily "high fidelity", trading accuracy for efficiency (SPL per Watt consumed)
[] Performance grade systems are more durable and idiot tolerant (not idiot proof)

Home audio systems are designed for a different set of conditions and would not fare well in "live" use.

Veteran
Veteran
FYI, if you are not taking it out of the house it's ok. I did that for years..

I have kept the last 3 versions of band in a box on external hard drives, and beside the acoustic piano upstairs is a bose titanium cd thing. I use the external hard drive, an acer asipire and the bose and jam on the acoustic piano. You can hear it a block away with the windows open.

I have taken it to band rehearsal too. And I have the L1 model 2. Mac sold me on that and should have got the commission.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Yes John at home I'm also using my stereo system. An old Pioneer SX-990 and a couple of Realistic Nova 6's with new 100watt woofers. When the wife's out I crank the hell out of it and I'm also playing bass.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Veteran
Veteran
We are in renovation hell. The government started it, my wife watches too many reno programs. We could get back 1300 bucks. So the 'music' room needs the baseboards done, and a few finishing touches. I got a new door put in yesterday, and a fancy eco toilet with the button for #1 or #2. Wow.

So my L1 is in a basement room along with clutter. I hate clutter. There's boxes of games we will never play the kids left, old gear, spools of wire, a million pieces of lego waiting for a grandchild to be big enough to use, a mattress 6 horns and cases, a bone, a guitar my son got for Christmas and never used, my accordion, 2 computers, a printer an office desk and my keyboard and stand. And an old dresser stuffed with stuff the wife won't throw out.

I can get punched hard when I suggest the tv show hoarders come and look. The public rooms are almost perfect, except I hoard stuff from relatives, my grandmothers tables, stuff like that. So upstairs, in the room I love to sit in is the accoustic piano and the little bose radio/cd player that is my sound source along with the netbook.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

Well he didn't say he was going to drag it around 7 nights a week. Of course it would be crazy to think it would hold up. He just asked if there was a way to use it and yes there is. Maybe he just wants to go out and test drive the whole idea at some small little venue and doesn't want to go out and buy a legitimate PA before it's even determined that he'll like doing this. That was my approach here. His home system will not disintegrate the minute it goes out the door.

Hello Everyone,

Seems I've left lots of factors out. John is right here though. I just wanted a way that I could perform my horn against some backing tracks -- My nephew asked if I'd play a few jazz swing tunes at his wedding reception and I have no way to find out what if any kind of PA there will be (although there was talk of hiring a DJ so I might be able to plug my MP3 player into one of his boxes).

Right now, I just way to figure out a way to do this since I don't already have a PA system and I don't want to rely on someone else's system (as in the case of a DJ). This way too, if it were possible to do, I have some time to practice here at home using my own equipment.

Thanks all. Great feedback!

Ike
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, if you treat it very carefully in transport and setup -- paying critical attention that there are no frayed speaker wires at the terminals, certainly -- and then let the thing cool down entirely before attempting to move it after the one-shot performance, you might give it a go with what you've got.

Or -- you might call up the local music emporium and investigate the cost of a one-night PA rental.

--Mac

Veteran
Veteran
Here you can get a decent system cheap for a night or weekend. If you do it enough then bring up the bose again. Mac has one perspective.

I'm not short of cash, so went big. If I want more bass I can really make it shake by putting my old Roland keyboard amp into the bass output of the bose and trim off the treble.

The smaller Bose without bass and the tonematch thing is a good price. I hear good reviews. I think Mac wrote one, someone else can fish for the thread..the wife wants to get outta the house.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
If the reception is down this way I know a great spot to rent a PA for a weekend..

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,745
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191