Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#168676 08/03/12 03:36 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Simply, love it! I have not used them yet, but like the idea and the jazz piano from Garritan (which I have used in some of my songs) sounds fantastic on these midi piano styles. I'm not sure if the acoustic base used for the demos is also from the Garritan library, but is sounds terrific, I would like to know though. To be frank, I think that the piano midi tracks sounds a lot better to me than some of the piano real tracks. Also, being a Cuban, I'm pleased to see the new Cuban real tracks. I appreciate that. Thanks PG Music.

Music should be part of your life
http://www.soundclick.com/blackcatjazzcafeband
Veteran
Veteran
Pete, I use a lot of Cuban / Puerto Rican beats with my compositions, and often blend the Brazilian styles with them. My Latin percussionist was with me during beta testing, and he lit up when I played the Son Montuno and Bolero RealTracks. He said they were authentic, which is no surprise with Rebeca Mauleon playing piano. They sure sound great to me!

I wrote a whole CD worth of tunes for him a few years ago and I wish we had these sounds then.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
The reason the midi piano Supertracks sound better than some of the piano RT's is the sustain pedal especially on slower songs. A pianist spends years learning proper use of the pedal, it's not just all the way down or all the way up. They "ride" the pedal a lot, using a lot of partial or half pedaling techniques. The pedal is specifically used to smooth out transitions between chord changes and phrases. With an audio RT, the player has no idea what chords you're going to use so when a RT goes from a Cmaj7 to a Em unless that change was prerecorded you're going to hear the Cmaj7 chopped off as soon as the Em is played. Afaik there is no post processing envelope or something that can emulate partial sustain in an audio file. That makes for a very unnatural sounding RT piano part on slow stuff. Faster tempo's it's not so noticeable.

Midi can use as much pedaling as you want because it's not audio, it's midi. There's lots of midi pianos now that use partial pedaling and those CC sustains are written into the midi part as the pianist is playing it. Makes all the difference in the world as long as you're using a good quality synth. And since it's midi, you can take a Supertrack and have it play as a string section, flutes, another keyboard, whatever.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Not just the pedaling, Bob, but the FINGERS as well here, the Supertracks capture the subtle Velocity data of the Pianoforte when played by the skilled pianist like this and captured as Phrase data ala the RealTracks engine. And it all goes together to make for dynamite performances.

Rumors of MIDI's death appear to have been greatly exaggerated...

--Mac

Mac #168680 08/03/12 05:22 PM
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I hear you Matt, yes, they sound pretty good. When it comes to son montuno, bolero, and the so called "salsa" rhythms, altough being these all born in Cuba, the Puerto Rican musicians stay true to them. Also, the previously released latin rhythms sounds pretty good too. Yes I have a couple of Bossa tunes in which I switch from bossa to latin jazz usually at the "B" section or at the middle chorus a la Poncho Sanchez. Comes out pretty darn good.
On the note of Midi super tracks; I would also like to see some wind instruments like sax and trumpet at some point, that would be great.

Later

Veteran
Veteran
The problem with sax's and horns is midi synths. They along with guitars is the primary reason for Real Tracks being developed in the first place. Unlike the finger velocity on a keyboard that can be captured and played back via midi like Mac said, all the tonguing, slurs and such that horns players do cannot be captured by midi because I don't know if there's a controller that does all that so it can be captured. Even the best mega thousand dollar keyboards have mediocre sax's at best and that's using mod wheels and ribbon controllers to try to get a realistic sound out of the patch. I doubt a midi Supertrack sax would be very impressive. Straight trumpets and bones yeah, maybe but still no falls, slurs, blats, overtone screams, doights and all that cool stuff brass players can do.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ok Bob, you just killed my dream, but although not an expert, I understand the limitations you're talking about when it comes to brass instruments.

Later

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I think that use of MIDI wind controllers such as the EWI, in the hands of great musicians, just may be able to roll some horn MIDI Supertracks in future.

--Mac

Mac #168684 08/06/12 02:08 AM
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
Bob you are correct. I use a free Stylizer program from Ntonyx.com which applies algorithms to the Midi data using the GM instrument number as the base together with a small number of variable parameters which has a good stab at improving the musicality of the Midi data.

This is not perfect and some editing using the Piano Roll is usually necessary. Even then much of the clever stuff is difficult to produce authentically. I have also banks of soundfonts which include falls, doiks, stabs, growls etc. which can help. However, the end results do not fool a musician.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

The problem with sax's and horns is midi synths. They along with guitars is the primary reason for Real Tracks being developed in the first place. Unlike the finger velocity on a keyboard that can be captured and played back via midi like Mac said, all the tonguing, slurs and such that horns players do cannot be captured by midi because I don't know if there's a controller that does all that so it can be captured. Even the best mega thousand dollar keyboards have mediocre sax's at best and that's using mod wheels and ribbon controllers to try to get a realistic sound out of the patch. I doubt a midi Supertrack sax would be very impressive. Straight trumpets and bones yeah, maybe but still no falls, slurs, blats, overtone screams, doights and all that cool stuff brass players can do.

Bob

Sorry Bob, I must strongly disagree.

There is nothing wrong with MIDI, only some synths and synth players. I use a physical modeling synth (Yamaha VL70-m) with a Yamaha WX5 controller and I can get the nuances of sax (scoops etc.), trumpet (including lip slurs), guitar (including hammer-ons & pull-offs) and a number of other instruments.

I have fooled professional trumpet players and guitar players into thinking I was playing trumpet and guitar when in reality I was playing synth.

It's about (1) having the right controller (2) having the right synthesizer (3) learning how to coax the proper nuances out of the synth with your controller.

My physical tenor sax is set up with a huge chambered/tip opening metal mouthpiece to play a big "Texas Tenor" sound (think Clarence Clemmons) and in order to have a nice mellow ballad sound, I would need to put my #6 Otto Link hard rubber mouthpiece on it, which will then have a dry reed, and require re-tuning the sax. Impractical to do in a live setting. So I play the wind synth with more mellow sax patches.

Check out This Link and This Link for some mellower sax sounds and for guitar sounds check out This Link and This one - Note: they were ripped at a low bit-rate so the tone is thin, but you can hear the nuances quite well.

These were done on a synth module that I paid $500 for.

Now tell me in all honesty that you can't do MIDI sax or guitar. You just need the skill and the right equipment.

Notes

Brand new 2012.5 updates from Norton Music:
  • 2 new style disks for Band-in-a-Box
  • 2 new free (with a purchase) fancy intro/ending disks for Real Band and other DAW's
  • The Ultimate Gospel Fake Disk
  • The Real Rock Fake Disk (plenty of classic rock in this one)
  • The Beatles Fake Disk
  • And an updated Christmas Fake Disk

Hundreds of Free .sgu and .mp3 demos for the above at: http://www.nortonmusic.com

W
Expert
Expert
W
Notes. kinda curious how Midi Super tracks play into your current and future style sets.
I'm waiting on my upgrade so all I know is what's posted so far.
Wyndham

Veteran
Veteran
Notes, you're correct but we're referring to Biab. You are the resident expert with Biab styles. Are you saying you can program a style in Biab using one of the basic GM synths to do what you're describing because what you're describing is what a lot of us have been saying you can't do with Biab.

Yes, you can do great things with midi using custom CC's with a good controller using a specfic synth but you can't program what you're doing with a customized controller setup linked to that synth into a Biab style using any synth. Am I wrong here?

Bob

Expert
Expert
Quote:

There is nothing wrong with MIDI, only some synths and synth players. I use a physical modeling synth (Yamaha VL70-m) with a Yamaha WX5 controller and I can get the nuances of sax (scoops etc.), trumpet (including lip slurs), guitar (including hammer-ons & pull-offs) and a number of other instruments.

By the way, did you tryied the Ketron SD2 with the wind controller?
Thinking to buy one to use with my EWI4000S. Or would I prefer the VL70-m? At a first glance, I would preferr the SD2 because it appears to be "general purpose"... What is your oppinion?

Last edited by Luiz Dias; 08/07/12 08:38 AM.

regards, from Brazil
Luiz Dias
Watch the videos of me playing the percussion/conga drums with a great band!
--> http://uk.youtube.com/user/footkeys
Expert
Expert
Wow Notes, those are some great sounds! I had watched some youtubes of what wind conrollers can do. Fascinating! I'm very tempted to get one and learn how to play it since I'm selling one of my trumpets. Oops, got off the midi super tracks a little here.

Cornet Curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Wow Notes, those are some great sounds! I had watched some youtubes of what wind conrollers can do. Fascinating! I'm very tempted to get one and learn how to play it since I'm selling one of my trumpets. Oops, got off the midi super tracks a little here.

You have a PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

By the way, did you tryied the Ketron SD2 with the wind controller?
Thinking to buy one to use with my EWI4000S. Or would I prefer the VL70-m? At a first glance, I would preferr the SD2 because it appears to be "general purpose"... What is your oppinion?

I haven't tried the Ketron with my wind controller, but I have tried plenty of other sample-based synths. None of them can hold a candle to physical modeling.

In my opinion, if you want to emulate other instruments you really want the VL70-m.

Why?

Playing with a sampler or a sample based synth feels like you are triggering samples. Playing with a physical modeling synth feels like you are playing an instrument. The subtle gestures you make with your lip and thumb controllers allow you to play subtle nuances and more.

When you scoop up on a sax patch with my VL, not only does the pitch change, but the tone also subtly changes making the scoop sound like a scoop instead of just a pitch bend. When I bend down on the blues harp patch, the tone changes drastically muting the high frequencies as if the harmonica player was cupping the harp with his/her hand. When I wiggle the reed on a brass patch, the note jumps up and down to the next harmonic just like a trumpet or trombone player does when he/she does a lip slur.

For emulating saxes, guitars, trumpets, trombones, harmonicas and quite a few other instruments, using the right MIDI controller in the hands of a talented musician and a physical modeling synth can provide the very best emulation of those instruments.

Admittedly the tone is better on a sample based synth. But the ability to create nuances on physical modeling far exceed any lacking in tone. When you hear an impressionist/comedian 'doing' a famous person (like the president or an actor) you hear the president or the actor. Why? Not because the impressionist/comedian has an identical voice, it is because the impressionist/comedian can recreate the nuances of the president or the actor's speech.

IMHO most musicians get too hung up on tone anyway. The real secret to playing a convincing sax synth or guitar synth is not tone, it's the ability to be an impressionist.

And each form of synthesis has it's strong and weak points. Remember FM and the old DX7? I don't think another method of synthesis does a better job at many melodic percussion instruments like vibes, Rhodes, Wurli, and dozens of others. But it doesn't do saxophones very well because it cannot recreate many of the sax nuances. Using the right method of synthesis for the job is important.

Quote:

Thanks. If you listen, the sounds aren't all that great - they sound much better 'live' but they were ripped at a very low bit-rate for fast streaming. All but the last guitar clip were ripped at 56kbps. IMHO to get a decent sounding mp3 you need to go 196kbps minimum. The reason they sound as realistic as they do is not because the tone is right, it is because the player and the synth module were able to recreate the nuances of sax and guitar.

If I played the guitar patch using the same technique as I did the sax patch, the guitar patch would have sounded lame.

Music is more than note on/velocity/note off. This is what too many MIDI people do, and is why MIDI gets a bum rap. There are a number of continuous controllers that let you manipulate the sound during the entire duration of each note, from attack to release. They govern more than tone but emulate what a wind player does with his/her lips or a guitarist with his/her fingers/feet and so on. I have a complete list published here http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html

I have MIDI continuous controllers assigned to my WX5s breath sensor, reed sensor, thumb up rocker, thumb down rocker, two different toggle (on/off) keys and one foot rocker pedal. Depending on the patch and synth I can get wah wah sounds on trumpet or guitar, breath noise that varies with my breath support (like sax subtones or a flute), flutter tongue, throat distortion, I can even use one to emulate the tonal changes that a sax player does by changing the shape of his/her mouth while playing.

Quote:

You have a PM.

Sorry Mario, I didn't get the PM. Try again.

Back to super MIDI tracks and their ability to emulate other instruments.

Like all MIDI, in order to emulate other instruments you need the skill of the person playing the MIDI controller, the MIDI controller used, and the playback module. The weakest link with be the limiting factor.

MIDI doesn't sound 100% like the acoustic instrument and perhaps never will. But it can sound 100% like a recording of the acoustic instrument. But then, audio files also sound like a recording of the instrument.

MIDI allows you editing functions that pure audio does not (yet). For example: I have a number of clean guitars in my SD90. Say I'm working on a MIDI file that has a clean guitar. I can make it sound like a Tele rear pickup, Tele neck pickup, Les Paul, Strat, ES-335 and quite a few other guitars. Or getting farther away from clean guitars I can take that clean guitar and use a patch called AttackClav, turn it into one of many distorted guitars, or one of may acoustic ones. All this with a patch change.

Second example. I really like that drum part, but the cymbal would sound better as a cowbell. No problem, click and drag in my sequencer and the ride cymbal is now a cowbell. Bass drum too boomy? Not boomy enough? I've got plenty to choose from. Take the reverb off the kick drum? No problem, move it to another synth and take off the reverb while leaving the snare on the synth with reverb.

At the advice from Peter Gannon and others on this forum, I have done a bit of editing with Audio files and found I can do a lot of things with them that I didn't know I could (thank you all). But there are still a lot of editing I can do with MIDI files that I cannot do with Audio files, so I for one welcome new MIDI tracks.

• 2 new free (with a purchase) fancy intro/ending disks for Real Band and other DAW's
  • The Beatles Fake Disk

Hundreds of Free .sgu and .mp3 demos for the above at: http://www.nortonmusic.com

Veteran
Veteran
The physical modeling synth Notes is using is based on something called waveguide synthesis, which turns out to be pretty easy to implement. The main difficulty lies in changing the length of the waveguide without getting glitches, which can be done by crossfading to a second waveguide.

In comparison to sample-based technology, the sound isn't as accurate, but in terms of performance, just about nothing comes close.

Did I mention it's also computationally inexpensive?

There have been two issues with it catching on. The first is the patents, which I believe are due to expire this year. So there's hope that some VSTis may be developed.

The second issue is a lack of inexpensive breath controllers. Wind controllers aren't cheap, and at this point, I don't think anyone is still manufacturing breath controllers (although someone has been promising come out with one for the last couple of years).

And it's the performance that sells physical modeling. Without that, it sounds like cheap synthesis.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Veteran
Veteran
Notes, that PM was for Shastastan.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Expert
Expert
Mr. Sax and his "brothers", from Samplemodeling? I would prefer the hardware for playing live (because I don´t trust computers there, a glitch can be a disaster there), but the VL70-m is expensive for my budget, and is out of the market now.
The internal sounds of the EWI4000S are not good, not to say bad.

Sorry this may look offtopic but, in fact, it is about rendering midi horn/wind instruments into BIAB (or any other "midi player")...

Last edited by Luiz Dias; 08/08/12 10:32 AM.

regards, from Brazil
Luiz Dias
Watch the videos of me playing the percussion/conga drums with a great band!
--> http://uk.youtube.com/user/footkeys
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Notes, that PM was for Shastastan.

No wonder I didn't get it I'm reading the post, so it must be for me - right???

dcuny

Yamaha makes the WX5 and Akai makes a couple of EWI models.

Expensive? Not really, but not cheap either. I've seen the WX5 street price under $550. The EWI for slightly under $500 and the USB version of the EWI for under $250 - but I really prefer the WX5.

Considering what they do and the fact that there are many more keyboard controllers sold, I think the price is fair.

Every MIDI controller has the things it's good at and the thing it doesn't do as well as the others. For solo monophonic voices, the wind MIDI controller works much better than the keyboard - especially paired with the right sound module.

The Yamaha VL70-m was just recently discontinued after a 15 year run, which is a pretty long run for a synth. A few pop up here and there on eBay and/or Craigslist. It's a worthy score if you get one in good condition. I've had 2 for 15 years (one and a backup). I always use them with a power conditioner to minimize spikes and dips in the AC line, and they have both performed flawlessly - and I gig one-nighters, which is hard on gear.

And that's a big plus for hardware synths. Computers evolve and the stuff you use today has a very limited shelf life. How many pre Intel Mac apps still work? Or older Windows programs. I have a Roland MT-32 that i bought in the 1980s and used with my Atari/ST computer. It still works and works with any computer. MIDI is MIDI and so far it hasn't even reached it's full potential.

How many 1980s computer programs still work - and those that do - just how many updates have you purchased? All the MIDI gear I've ever bought still work as good as the day I bought them home.

Notes ♫

• The Beatles Fake Disk

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199