Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I also bought the optional 49-pack to go along with it. This ain't my first BiaB rodeo -- I've been using it since 1998. The last version I bought, though, was 2014, and it's been about that long since I've used it, plus I never really achieved any level of mastery with BiaB 2014 -- more of a passing acquaintance, really. Got busy with other things and it got set aside.

Well, I've decided it's time to get busy again and I'm wondering what the best way to reacquaint myself with BiaB, the everything pack in this case with the 49-pack addon, would be. I've been a member of these forums for about five years, but my last series of posts were about three years ago, so I've been absent for a while and my absence corresponds to my lack of use of 2014 as well. Oh well.

I've browsed through some of PG's tutorials and I'll probably start there. I've noticed some posts here about Youtube videos, so I'll probably take a look there too, see if any are worthwhile. I've been browsing through the forums here, but I haven't found much so far -- but I'll bet I'm just not looking in the right places.

Right now, my machine is still downloading the basic core files. I think I'll probably wait on all the others until I have BiaB 2017 up and running on this machine.

So, is there any sort of learning procedure you'd recommend? Just go through all the PG tutorials more or less sequentially? What about info sources here at the forums?

I guess it also bears mentioning that I've collected thousands of BiaB format song files over the years and I use a lot of them as ways to rehearse the music. As for my own work, I compose primarily instrumentals, and my styles can range from classical to zydeco and just about everything in between. One of the nice things about BiaB is it is flexible enough to handle just about anything I can throw at it. But I want to get acquainted with this new interface first before I start to put it through the paces I'll need.

Veteran
Veteran
If it was me, I would start by purchasing the Groove3.com ++2015 Band-in-a-Box for Windows Explained ++ video tutorials (or try the monthly all-access pass). Just read the list of videos and I think you will agree the series is presented in a clear, concise manner. I downloaded the videos and use them as a quick reference. Groove3 has numerous video series you may find interesting.

After that I would watch both of the new features video for BiaB & RealBand (RB). That will bring you up to date with what you are purchasing and act as an introduction to RB. Many Windows users overlook RB and how its features compliments BiaB.

Then I would use the collection of song files you have. Start loading songs into BiaB and figuring out how the chord sheet matches what you're hearing.

Finally, select a few of your favorite song files, save them under a new name (so you don't mess them up) and modify them. Experiment, go crazy, have fun!

By the way, welcome back. We missed you while you were gone. crazy

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the response, Jim. Well, I've started working my way through a couple of tutorials. I may try out the one you suggest too.

But right now I'm struggling with other things. You know, it's all coming back to me now. When I bought the 2014 version, I discovered that my laptop wasn't up to the task. I was getting pops and crackles and drop-outs. It was somewhat slow, with a 1.7 gig processor and only 2 gigs of RAM (with no possibility for increasing RAM capacity). So I bought the one I have now, which has a 2.8gig Core 2 Duo processor and 8 gigs of RAM, plus I'm running a 64 bit OS (still Win7) on this machine.

But shortly after I bought this machine, a couple of things happened. 1) we moved to a new house, and it was a major move that took a long time and a long time to recover from (we'd lived at our last house for 16 years), and somewhere in all the chaos, BiaB fell by the wayside. 2) My desktop DAW's hard drive crashed during the move (I dropped it, POS Seagate!) and I lost everything on that 2TB drive, including my BiaB setup and all the other music software I had installed. I still haven't given up hope of recovering something off that drive, but the desktop sits in a room piled high with boxes full of stuff that I don't know where is gonna go. I have a new 3TB drive for it, but I haven't bothered to reinstall the OS yet.

So anyway, I'm dependent on this current laptop, which, with a 5.9 ratng on the "Windows Experience Index," should be more than capable of handling anything BiaB can toss at it, especially since it handles Cakewalk's Sonar Platinum and Studio One v3 without so much as a hiccup.

But what do I get when I open up BiaB and set the screen to notation mode? Pops, crackles, and drop outs. Say what!? OK, so the song I was trying to play was pure MIDI, so I go and take a look in preferences at the MIDI settings. They all looked good to me. So, to reduce overhead, I closed all other programs. This helped a lot, but there was still the occasional pop, crackle, or drop out. They were most likely to occur when the music reel reloaded the screen with four more measures. A curious thing began to happen, though. The longer I let the tune play, the fewer glitches occurred. It was almost as if BiaB was healing itself. Well, fine, I think. As long as it stays healed. But there's the rub. It doesn't. When I load a new tune, I have to go through this mess all over again.

I can't afford another laptop --and I feel that this one should be able to handle BiaB anyway. I'm gonna find a tool that will help me clean out the registry of junk, which I'm sure there's a lot of. And I'm currently in the process of offloading a bunch of files just so I can continue with installing the rest of BiaB. Frankly, I'm stunned that I'm having to come up with another 170+ gigs of space (that's what the BiaB installer is telling me I need). I've never in my life dealt with another computer program of any sort that required that much disk space for a full install. Even the Win7 OS doesn't require that much space!

So anyway, if this problem continues, then I guess I'll have to get busy setting up and configuring the DAW again. And turn my back on the POS 2 TB Seagate. And hope I don't have the same problems with it!

Veteran
Veteran
Michael,

The EverythingPak is fantastic software. From the description of your current lap top, it should do the job.

If you are still having "pops and crackles" issues, try the following....

1. Right-click on the chord sheet.

2. Select "Song Settings".

3. Activate the option that says "This song has playback problems, disable fast generation" as shown on the image below.

Let us know if it helps.

Regards,
Noel.

P.S. Pops and crackles are sometimes due to antivirus software double-checking everything that BIAB does. Try entering into your AV software setup and then exclude the \bb folder from checking. This often helps.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
fast generation disable.JPG (75.77 KB, 57 downloads)

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Perhaps there is a clue in his comment:

"A curious thing began to happen, though. The longer I let the tune play, the fewer glitches occurred. It was almost as if BiaB was healing itself."

I seen this myself. Doesn't this have to do with the way that BIAB loads and buffers the song initially versus RB? Wouldn't disabling fast load in BIAB help?

Jeff

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,523
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197