Band-in-a-Box for Windows
G
Ginna Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Hello,
I want to use my set of favorite VSTi synths in Band in a Box 2010. I tried it in 'VST/DirectX Instruments/Plugins' window. There I can set the first synth in the first 'Plugin'slot without problem, but when I try to select any other VSTi in next slots, I can't do it, because only effect pluggins are listed in the rest of slot, not synths. That is normal or I am doing something wrong?.
While Edirol VCS is just fine, it is somewhat limited in the sound quality area. I just dream about to have sampler synths like Akoustik Piano, Trilogy, EZDrummer, Atmosphere and others loaded in Band in a Box. I heard about of some "virtual rack" software or plugins able to act as VSTi/DXi host, I don't know if that is possible or if even would work in BIAB. There are tons of great midi styles bundled in biab which I would love to combine with RealTRacks. I want not to use RealBand for this, RB always will have its chance in due time for more complicated edit task, in the meantime I want to stay and go easy in song writing with BIAB.
I would love to listen any advice about this. Thanks

* - Ginna - *

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
If you'd like to use more than one synth on your project, I'm afraid you're going to have to bite the bullet and use RealBand. Band-in-a-Box can only use one synth at a time, and the synth will have to be able to do every instrument, like guitar, bass, drums etc.

You can always use a General MIDI synth (like the VSC DXi) when putting together the tune in Band-in-a-Box, and then open the tune in RealBand, where you would apply your more specialized VST instruments to different tracks and add finishing touches...

If you don't like the sounds in the VSC, the Cakewalk TTS-1 sounds a lot better, in my opinion. You can get it by purchasing the Music Creator 5 package. www.pgmusic.com/musiccreator.htm. Only $39.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

G
Ginna Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Cita:

If you don't like the sounds in the VSC, the Cakewalk TTS-1 sounds a lot better, in my opinion. You can get it by purchasing the Music Creator 5 package. www.pgmusic.com/musiccreator.htm. Only $39.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

Thanks Kent. But the link doesn't work, a msg up instead "The page you are looking for no longer exists. You will be automatically redirected to the PG Music Homepage in 5 seconds."

*- Ginna -*

G
Ginna Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
Thanks johntru9j, I got it, the link need "html" prefix to open. http://www.pgmusic.com/musiccreator.htm

K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Oops, silly me. Glad you figured it out.

Thanks John.

Kent
PG Music

J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Quote:

.........I would love to listen any advice about this. Thanks * - Ginna - *

Hi Ginna,
I've tried four or five different synths in BIAB and at the moment I'm using SampleTank with Omni synth 2. However, I really don't recommend it for most things as it's more hassle that it's worth. What I do recommend is just sticking with the vsc for general auditioning, juke box, etc. Then when you get something special and deserving of more attention, take it to RB and start working on it there. RB has a learning curve, but it's not bad at all, and the really great thing is--you have the good folks on these forums to help with any problems you may have.

I know you stated very clearly that you wanted to stick with BIAB, and if you have any multi-timbral synth, such as Kontakt or SampleTank, I can probably help you get it going. Just post back and let me know. But I do hope you'll consider getting RB under your thumb. Mixing midi and realtracks is much easier there. Hope this helps.

Later,
Jim

I'd be completely happy if I had just one more guitar.
Veteran
Veteran
Thumbs up to Jim111's suggestion.

Realband is the sister to BiaB and is great for finishing projects like you want to do.

Freeze your tracks, and open the BiaB file in RB.
Then you can assign any synth to any track (up to 16 different synths)

You can also do a lot of other touch-ups there, like regenerating just a certain small section you aren't totally satisfied with, and adding FX to all the tracks and, and, well too much more to go into right now

For a lot of users BiaB is the creation tool, and RB is the finishing tool. Like having a saw and a sander. BiaB is great for getting the rough shape and RB is great for smoothing the edges.

Last edited by rharv; 08/08/10 03:14 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E
You might want to check out this site and download the free VSTSynthFont which allows you to load a different soundfount for each midi channel. I don't have much experience with it but have used it in the past to load different drum kits and it works for that.

http://www.synthfont.com/

From their tutorial page http://www.synthfont.com/Tutorial1.html:
"SynthFont is a free tool for playing MIDI files making use of SoundFonts ("SF2" files) or other sound files in formats like DLS, GIGA, 404, GUS. With SynthFont you do not need any particular sound card. In fact, if you only want to render audio files (".WAV" files) you don't even need a sound card. SynthFont makes it easy to assign different SoundFonts to difference MIDI channels."

Veteran
Veteran
If you want to use BIAB what you can do is download Midi Ox. It's a virtual midi cable then you use another program like Sonar or even RB as a host. The out would be MidiOx 1 in Biab and the in would be MidiOx 1 on as many tracks as you want. Then assign a different DXi/VSTi to each track. Works fine in my use in the olden days

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
G
Ginna Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
G
I am thankful for all suggestions and advice here. This is a fantastic and eager to help community. I love that!
However I should clarify already I know Real Band usefulness, excellent program, I don't have problem with RB since I am learning to use it, besides my brother has know-how of audio recording and computer stuff and assist me in edition and mixing of my songs. We use RB and Sonar for all the details of my done songs in BIAB. I just want to stay in BIAB while I input/change and test chords, different styles and rhythms without losing a single one of the advantages, RB seem not to implement all the BIAB song features since it is more focussed in edition. I think Jim111's suggestion of to use Kontakt or any other multi-timbral sampler is more viable to me. Also John advice on MIDI Ox virtual cable look so interesting. I still waiting for something, a software or universal virtual rack for set my virtual instruments in a simple way.

Thanks to you all wonderful people

*- Ginna -*

Productor Musical
Productor Musical
Hola Ginna! nice to see you here. About your question, as Kent and our forum pals exposed, Band-in-a-Box can only use one synth at a time by itself. It can be a GM synth like VCS you already know and use. But sometimes I also want to remain in the realm of Band-in-a-Box, leaving RealBand for final touch-ups, mixing and other task where it shines with own light. As the most of us already know there are plenty of great MIDI Styles in BiaB, and myself enjoy a lot by combining them with RealTracks! However there is a alternate way for the multi-instrument matter. But before I talk about it, I want to warn you, nothing will substitute or replace RealBand or any other DAW you use, RB is a amazing PGMusic devoted program designed as a multi-timbral big tool able of make near of every audio/MIDI from simple to surgical task you want to do, plus many of the BiaB song construction features. Also, is not my intention to advertise third parties neither I have commercial relationship with them in any form, just I think if out there exist something able of to enhance our BiaB experience in some way, it deserve a mention, and the decision to use it is everyone's free will. Ok, after this remark, the fact is that you are right Ginna, there is a way to make that magic you wish happen! if there is a tool named Chainer XLUtop , a little piece of software that let you load in BiaB all the synths and VST/DX efx plugins you want and your PC system power and speed allow. I bought it with the intention of convert my Laptop in an portable instrument/efx rack since Chainer is a standalone program, but it also load as a VSTi or VST plugin in BiaB VSX/DXi synth slot! and in my case at least, working like a dream. Once loaded, you can set any separate or combinations of VSTi/DXi instruments you want. For example, you can have Kontakt Player with an sampled acoustic piano and strings, Trilogy with bass and EzDrummer, in three separate Chainer slots while there also are VCS, Coyote and Edirol Hyper Canvas sharing another slot, all three playing MIDI instruments data from BIAB at the same time and each with its own MIDI channel and independent control.

Furtherly you can route any instrument you want to any other free Chainer slot and process them with efx plugins like compressors, EQ, Chorus, reverb, etc, including all the PG VST/dx effects bundled with BiaB. There are Mute, Pan, Transpose, CC, automatization and a random patch creator for loaded synths and many more features. 100 slots in ten internal mini-racks are available, plus Chainer is able to load into itself for crazy infinite number of slots. As an idea , I use to load 3 (or more) GM synths for the sake of compare each one to other, but since you can use all at same time, you could to obtain impressive rich sound and layered textures result of the sum of each module audio outputs. I know there are some others “virtual racks” like Steinberg one, but I think it is discontinued.
As sample I included two screen captures and a demo BiaB song I rendered using at least 5 different high quality VSTi instruments + effects loaded in Chainer and one RealTrack sax.

First screen-capture show BiaB and three different GM VST modules, included VSC, you can play them separate, all three at same time or selected MIDI tracks in each one. Note there is PG Five Bands EQ in the next efx slot.
Second screen-capture show an advanced multitimbral setup with some high end synths and sampler based instruments ALL loaded in Chainer and playing in BIAB. VCS still there as visual and audio reference and even you can add its sound palette to midi instrumentation if you want.

I hope this help you Ginna

Saludos

Carlos

PS: are you in town this week Ginna? if yes, let me know or phone me. We miss you last month in M-Audio clinic, I introduced Band-in-Box there, we exposed to audience how Band-in-a-Box in plug-in mode can “drop” RealTracks and MIDI instruments to Pro-Tools. The wow factor flooded the room, hehe .

Gabriel Arellano,
Nucleox Music
Veteran
Veteran
Yes forgot about Chainer. Virtual driver to a virtual Rack.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Going back up the the start, i also suggest getting TTS from Roland thru MC5 from cakewalk. I understand wanting decent sounding samples, but you mentioned this is to work out the song and chord structures prior to finishing in Sonar or RB. Under these conditions is it really neccessary to have the very best samples? I used to think so, but recently i find it is far easier to work through a song with a solid GM set and polish the heck out of it in the DAW.

Sure you can link up to chainer, and midi ox, but why do all that in BiaB when the song will eventually head to Sonar anyway and there you can refine the tracks far easier.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Productor Musical
Productor Musical
Yes, good point Robh, wise moreover. I agree with you, Kent and countless users, TTS-1 is a excellent GM module, with genuine Roland sounds, and if not enuff, at a bargain price. The experience of listening BiaB MIDI side with a great sonic source is simply priceless!.

Let us to wait for Ginna reply, but as I'm concerned I am very clear on my reasons to use instruments from different synths/samplers. As I mentioned before, I feel strongly interested toward what allow me to enhance the BiaB experience, further making things easier, but certain conditions must to be fulfilled: to me Tools and process involved must be user friendly. MIDIoX can't be compared or placed beside a virtual rack, Chainer is amazingly easy to use, and unlike Midi Ox, it hosts your VST/DX devices into itself without leaving the main application, Band-in-a-Box in this case. Not tangled virtual cables connections or ASIO conflicts with external synths since it share the same audio engine than BIAB. Beside, is not possible to render a song in BiaB from an external synth connected with a virtual cable. That leaves MIDI Ox for just auditioning, many users will be happy this way. Midi Ox still being a great and FREE solution for which was created, not hassle at all, an indispensable tool for connecting MIDI devices where, otherwise, that would be impossible.

Robh, you are right when you say that under these conditions, for you, and indeed for many users, it isn't really neccessary to have the very best samples. But although the choice between a GM synth and expanded sonic sources depends of user and his/her preferences, also it is a matter of time and priorities. Fortunately is not a mandatory rule for every user to stick to a single method of listening the music in BiaB. I often find myself in different situations, sometimes you can catch me using the simpleton directx Windows MIDI wave table, and it can be enough to get a sound clue in a chord progression or backing track practicing with alumnus in classroom. Others I use VCS or Coyote for checking demo songs, browsing interesting chord progressions, for song construction etc, where the sound quality is second to music. Also, finally and not infrequently, a good GM synth like TTS is all I need to finish a song in BiaB before export it to RealBand, like you do. Now with RealTracks and RealDrums the magic is with us! But I'm still enjoying many instruments parts from the myriad of MIDI Styles in BiaB, and by combining them with RT and RD. Is then where I like to try others sonic alternatives as more sophisticated virtual instruments. The key word for me is “Inspiration” … I love to record "on the fly" my ideas, solos, chords and grooves with my guitar in the BiaB available audio track, sometimes a song after another, without stop the creative flow and without worry about export processes too early, and in the same way I can't imagine all the RealTracks recorded by a unique musician multi-instrumentalist, sometimes I can not stand with a unique sound source GM synth for my songs while I stay in the realm of BIAB, despite all the good that a GM synth can sound, just is not sufficient for me, mainly knowing that superior and friendly alternatives are available.
The tools are out there, and some very good ones, like TTS, RealBand or Chainer. The user hold the last world, a matter of personal choices….and imagination!

cheers
Carlos

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Carlos you are so right about the creative thing, i totally agree. Most folks will have their personal way of doing things, and those who work like you "on the fly" that is so cool. For me I am not that great of a musician, so time is on my side i have to be more methodical. For the poster who mentioned they really take the songs to a Sequencer for finish it might be important, but it might not. I thought it was at one time, and spend a lot of time trying to get there and in the end it did not matter really. I never finish a song in Biab, not enough options as to recording audio tracks and effects.

I tried Sampletank Omnisynth, but it was a bit shakey. I may someday try Chainer, but for me a good solid GM set like TTS get me to the next stage. It is really fun to hear how other work it give me ideas and i learn from each. By the way i played a couple of your songs for a friend the other night when he came over he loved it. Your music was perfectly his style. You have a new fan.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Apprentice
Apprentice
Carlos,

You are a MONSTER! Perhaps better stated, a VSTi/BB Master Jedi Knight...wow.

I feel like such a maggot...much to learn.

I'm sending this page to myself for future reference.

I really, really like this chainer thing.

You have what seems to be some really cool plugins too...awesome.

It's no WONDER you sound phenomenal! (your demo song is incredible)...if you plugged all those jazz extended chords in and key modulations by yourself I'm going to scream.

Wish I had a handle on theory and reharmonization like you apparently do.

Sweet.

Keep up the extraordinary work...and keep in touch! You are a person I could learn from for SURE!

Blessings,
Eric

JOHN 10:10
Veteran
Veteran
Chainer looks really cool, Carlos. This is going to be a Christmas present to myself. Like you I've got a bunch of high quality soft synths/samplers and this is great for using them all in Biab.
Since it's a VST host can it allow me to use my Jamstix to it's full potential in Real Band? I'm sure you know about that problem concerning tempo lock with RB but if not, you can't use plugins that can create their own grooves. You can use them as sound modules only but for example Steinberg's Virtual Guitarist or any drum creation plugin won't create it's parts in RB, they play back as a jumbled mess because they can't sync up with the host. It's a problem with RB's VST implementation, PG has known about it for years and for whatever reason can't seem to fix it. It's the one glaring weakness in RB because Jamstix gives you really great precise control over every part of a drum pattern when you're creating a drum track and that element of it won't work in RB. Very frustrating but it still sounds great as a plug in sound module.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
That is a great question!!!

M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
This old-fashioned discussion, I take this opportunity to point out to those who will read it today that Biab can now play multiple VST at the same time by loading them directly and without the installation of another utility.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195