Band-in-a-Box for Windows
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
If so, how does it work?

Is it bar by bar?

Do I just select bars and then generate multiriffs? How do I indicate which track to generate them for?

How is the time? Does it generate a small set of bars, say 4 bars, really quickly?

Do you have to freeze everything else to get this to work?

Just very curious as to how this has been implemented. I'll be upgrading before the sale ends but kinda curious now.

Veteran
Veteran
JJJ, there is a Link here that describes how to use the new feature.

You can select a range of bars or the entire song. You can also select which RealTrack to take the riffs from. You can then solo each of the generations (or even play multiple ones simultaneously).

I understand that the output is designed to go to a DAW, but there may be ways to direct the output to BiaB, (maybe an enhancement is required to deliver this).

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
<< there may be ways to direct the output to BiaB >>

Yes there is.

It saves 7 WAV files and these can be comped or you can choose to use one or any combination and import these snippets back into the BIAB project onto the Audio Channel.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
JJJ, there is a Link here that describes how to use the new feature.

You can select a range of bars or the entire song. You can also select which RealTrack to take the riffs from. You can then solo each of the generations (or even play multiple ones simultaneously).

I understand that the output is designed to go to a DAW, but there may be ways to direct the output to BiaB, (maybe an enhancement is required to deliver this).

Thanks VT!

I just read that and I am already concerned that they (apparently) didn't fully integrate this into BIAB but instead output the multiriffs as WAV files that are no longer integrated with your BIAB song!

So what happens when I have generated 10 different sections? Do I now have to export my main song as WAV and piece together all of those 10 sections? Or does BIAB automatically piece it all together for me into a single coherent track?

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I posted this elsewhere:

EDIT: I asked for a padding option for the multiriifs so it will add blank audio from bar -1 to the start of the riff,
so for now when you import the riff set it to start on the bar where the riff starts.
And also I noticed the drag n drop Audio Import is working BUT it only shows up to bar 6 in the Audio Edit window so that is useless at the moment, and the floating Audio Edit doesn't support drag n drop at the moment.

PG will most likely make a video for this.
But I will just let you know that if you need a riff for a song,
you first drag your master of the current song to WAV
then out to a folder.
Now select the bars where you want the MultiRiff,
Right click a track up the top > Select RealTracks > Generate MultiRiffs,
choose instrument,
File > Import > Import Audio > select the song master.wav
In the Mixer bottom right click AUDIO to show Audio track,
click it's solo
now right click track 1 solo
Play
now right click track 1 solo
now right click track 2 solo
and so on until you find a riff that fits.
You can Import that Riff from C:\bb\DragDrop into the Audio track of the original song.

Last edited by Pipeline; 12/01/19 07:05 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Yes there is.

It saves 7 WAV files and these can be comped or you can choose to use one or any combination and import these snippets back into the BIAB project onto the Audio Channel.

Thanks Charlie, yes, that is correct. But it uses another track as the destination (Audio). I'm not sure then that you could multi-riff more than one track once the Audio track had already been used for a previous track's multi-riff. This is only a guess, I don't profess to really know.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle

Yes there is.

Charlie, thanks for the feedback.

When you say they can be comped and imported back into the audio channel, does it know where to put them? Or maybe it saves blank space before the multiriff begins?

And what happens when I have a bunch of multiriffs generated? For example, maybe I generate multiriffs for piano bars 2, 17, 21-29 and 30. Then I generate multiriffs for guitar bars 10-13, 22-24 and 45. Is that a total of 49 WAV files (7 x 7) that are stored? And how in the world would BIAB reassemble those on the audio channel?

I suspect you (or someone) is going to explain some limitation as to how many sets of multiriffs can be generated for a single BIAB song because otherwise this gets incredibly messy very quickly.

Seems like just replacing the selected bars with new RealTrack references would have made for a much cleaner implementation. If I freeze my tracks and save my BIAB song, next time I open it BIAB is capable of retrieving the proper set of RealTrack riffs and reassemble the song for me. I'd love if it did the multiriffs that way as well.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
just remember this is not RB or the plugin it is not a typical DAW. true comping is best done in a typical DAW.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Rob Helms
just remember this is not RB or the plugin it is not a typical DAW. true comping is best done in a typical DAW.

Yeah I get that but while working in BIAB I am NOT comping yet! I am still building the song. Maybe I'll add a prechorus or another verse or an outro, etc.

I was really hoping they would do something like this,

1) let me select bars to regenerate
2) bring in 7 riffs
3) let me pick one
4) replace what was previously on those bars with the new RealTrack riffs

This would keep the song intact in native BIAB format with references to the RealTracks. And I could just repeat the process as many times as I want on multiple tracks until I get everything just right before exporting WAVs. Then, when I am ready, I'd move to my DAW.

Alas, it sounds like it will be more complicated that that.

C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

Charlie, thanks for the feedback.

When you say they can be comped and imported back into the audio channel, does it know where to put them? Or maybe it saves blank space before the multiriff begins?

And what happens when I have a bunch of multiriffs generated? For example, maybe I generate multiriffs for piano bars 2, 17, 21-29 and 30. Then I generate multiriffs for guitar bars 10-13, 22-24 and 45. Is that a total of 49 WAV files (7 x 7) that are stored? And how in the world would BIAB reassemble those on the audio channel?

I suspect you (or someone) is going to explain some limitation as to how many sets of multiriffs can be generated for a single BIAB song because otherwise this gets incredibly messy very quickly.

Seems like just replacing the selected bars with new RealTrack references would have made for a much cleaner implementation. If I freeze my tracks and save my BIAB song, next time I open it BIAB is capable of retrieving the proper set of RealTrack riffs and reassemble the song for me. I'd love if it did the multiriffs that way as well.

Each multi riff is saved as an individual WAV file in the DAW Dropbox folder. Each multi Riff can be the whole track or just a portion of bars. What can be comped in BIAB so far as I can tell from the time I've experimented with it are the portions. Multiple clips can be combined into a single track. Usually a riff of just a few bars. Using a riff, if they are repeating throughout the song, all seven riffs could be placed onto the Audio Track at various bars so that though the riff repeats, every repeat will be a slightly different regeneration. In your example of generating multiple files from multiple instruments, you will choose from the various snippets of audio and can mix between the various instruments and insert them all onto a single audio track. Assembly of the track is done manually from the insert audio menu window. This audio track can be converted to a Performance Track and the process repeated with again from the multi riffs in the drop box folder. This has been possible for some time except in the past, entire tracks had to be generated and the Audio track opened in a DAW to extract the individual riffs.

Comments by Dr. Gannon in another thread discussing multi riffs indicate there may be enhancements to streamline multi riff use within the BIAB project but initially, it was thought the multi riffs would primarily be moved to a DAW and used there.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
I updated my Multiriff how to post above:

EDIT: I asked for a padding option for the multiriifs so it will add blank audio from bar -1 to the start of the riff,
so for now when you import the riff set it to start on the bar where the riff starts.
And also I noticed the drag n drop Audio Import is working BUT it only shows up to bar 6 in the Audio Edit window so that is useless at the moment, and the floating Audio Edit doesn't support drag n drop at the moment.
And the midi drag n drop is not working in the piano roll yet:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB-Midi-Drop.png (21.03 KB, 315 downloads)
BB-Audio-Edit-Drop.gif (322.99 KB, 310 downloads)
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Thanks Charlie, yes, that is correct. But it uses another track as the destination (Audio). I'm not sure then that you could multi-riff more than one track once the Audio track had already been used for a previous track's multi-riff. This is only a guess, I don't profess to really know.

The Audio Track can be converted to a Performance Track and moved to another channel so although there's only a single Audio Channel, it can be used over and over.

This process will work exceptionally well with bouncing various styles, combinations of Performance Tracks and using multiple instruments on the individual channels to create quite complex arrangements.

Because the BIAB generation engine reads ahead, BIAB does really good and accurate cross fades between the changes throughout a track.

Also, because this editing is being done digitally until rendered, there's no drops in quality of the bounces.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Thanks again Charlie!

This sounds quite complicated so far. Maybe it will make more sense to me once I try it myself.

As another example, let's say I use the multiriff feature on bars 5-8 of the piano and also on 5-8 of the guitar. To bring this back into BIAB on the audio channel does it combine those into a single track? If so I have lost the ability to later handle them separately in the DAW.

Also, what happens to the bars I am replacing in my song? Do they get erased? If not, how can I ever hear the new multiriffs in context inside BIAB?

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
This is the easiest way of all to do it, you can have as many Plugins as you like in BB all with 21 tracks, the plugin will also let you load an Audio track in to sync playback to. But there is a sync issue at the moment:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ys5cguc2uxbr9xc/BB-BB-VST-Multiriffs2.mp4?dl=0

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB-BB-VST.png (275.95 KB, 295 downloads)
J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
This is the easiest way of all to do it, you can have as many Plugins as you like in BB all with 21 tracks, the plugin will also let you load an Audio track in to sync playback to. But there is a sync issue at the moment:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ys5cguc2uxbr9xc/BB-BB-VST-Multiriffs2.mp4?dl=0

But now you're back to complete tracks and not bar by bar, right? Plus, as you noted, there is a synch issue.

To me this all sounds too complex for the typical BIAB user.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You might be looking for bar by bar regeneration but you can't do that with Biab MultiRiffs as you loose your current tracks when it starts a new session with 7 new tracks.
You then choose one of those tracks and import it back into the Audio track of you original song as I described in an earlier post.
What I described with using the BB Plugin allows you to have all the separate tracks within the one instance of Biab until you are ready to transfer to the DAW by simple drag n drop.
When the Audio Edit drag n drop is fixed you can drag sections out of the BB Plugin directly into the Audio Edit track at any bar.
I'm sure the sync issue will be fixed very soon.

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Originally Posted By: Pipeline
You might be looking for bar by bar regeneration but you can't do that with Biab MultiRiffs as you loose your current tracks when it starts a new session with 7 new tracks.
You then choose one of those tracks and import it back into the Audio track of you original song as I described in an earlier post.
What I described with using the BB Plugin allows you to have all the separate tracks within the one instance of Biab until you are ready to transfer to the DAW by simple drag n drop.
When the Audio Edit drag n drop is fixed you can drag sections out of the BB Plugin directly into the Audio Edit track at any bar.
I'm sure the sync issue will be fixed very soon.

Thanks Pipeline but I am really not following you! smile

What tracks do I lose?

What is a new session?

And what do you mean that BIAB can't do "bar by bar" regeneration?

Finally, if I understand your suggestion you are saying it is better to use the VST plugin on tracks instead of the new built-in multiriff feature?

I really appreciate your help and apologize in advance for my not understanding; I suspect you are giving me some good info!!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 12/02/19 10:19 AM.
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn

What tracks do I lose?

When you > Select RealTracks > Generate MultiRiffs..
if you are still in your current song (session)
it will DELETE your current tracks and replace them with
7 tracks with the same selected instrument
(This still needs to be fixed and implemented by PG,
a "Do you want to Save Current Song" is needed when
MultiRiff is selected and the new MultiRiff Song (session)
will be Saved as Current Song - MultiRiffs.SGU if you hit Save/As)

What is a new session? new Song

And what do you mean that BIAB can't do "bar by bar" regeneration?
You are not generating MultiRiffs over the selected bars of a current instrument.

Finally, if I understand your suggestion you are saying it is better to use the VST plugin on tracks instead of the new built-in multiriff feature?
Using the BB MultiRiffs feature the MultiRiffs would be in one Song session.SGU and your actual Song will be in another .SGU
where as if you use the BB Plugin in BB you can have all the song tracks as well as all the MultiRiffs for all instruments in the one Song session.SGU that you can play back in sync with with the existing BB tracks and this allows for so many options like dragging sections out of the BB Plugin directly into the Audio Edit track to create the exact track you need.
As I mentioned above in the How To MultiRiffs Biab Guide
you load a downmix master of your current song you want the riffs for into the Audio track, so you will have 7 riffs and the Audio track, you solo the Audio track and solo one of the MultiRiff tracks and hit Play, repeat this soloing each riff until you find one that fits best. Then you import that track into the actual Song.SGU Audio track.
So that's the 2 ways to do MultiRiffs (unless you want to RealBand).

J
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
J
Pipeline, thank you so much for 1) understanding this and 2) sharing that understanding with the rest of us!

The new multiriff feature seems too complicated for me to use effectively. I will try your plugin multiriff technique and if that does not work for me I'll just keep doing what someone here suggested a long time ago...

1) Save final song with all tracks frozen.
2) Unfreeze and regenerate any tracks I need. Freeze and save again as a new song.
3) Repeat #2 until I get enough options and then comp it all in the DAW

I was so hopeful for bar by bar, in-place RealTrack regeneration. Oh well.

P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You will need to wait until they fix the sync issue with the current Plugin version in Biab. Once that's done I think you will find it easy.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,562
Posts734,430
Members38,492
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
VIPBET사설토토, GlebeGreg, michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE
38,491 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185