Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#12809 02/01/09 07:12 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
E
OP Offline
E
I am trying to find someone that has a knowledge of some basic things in BB. I jsut want to do a basic recording of my piano playing and have spent to many hours trying to navigate the program and FAQ's but none to address the specefic thing I want to do. I know it can do a lot of amazing things but I am not in need of that yet. I just am trying to do some recording from keyboard to bb to populate the sheet music and change chords etc for my band etc. and convert to MP3 or wav.

I was not sure if there are teachers out there for BB in the Central Illinois area. Tech support is helpful but I seem to still hit a brick wall when I get to a certain point and then there are just more questions that just get sent to another chase for FAQ's. I'm not even sure if this post is going to make it. I posted a few minutes ago and it never showed up on the board so not sure if it goes to be approved first or what.

Thanks so much.

Ed

Veteran
Veteran
Ed,
A lot of it has to do with exactly what you want to do. I guess the first question is do you know and understand what Band In A Box is designed to do?
Understanding the concept of what BIAB does is important.

Once you know what it does, then of course you have to know if it will do what you want it to do.

If you are looking to input a chord progression from your computer, and then play along with that from your keyboard and transcribe MIDI information, BIAB can do that. If you're looking to input a chord progression from your computer, and then play your keyboard and record the audio from the keyboard, you can do that, too.

If you're looking to play your keyboard and have BIAB figure out the chords and melody and transcribe them, you're going to have some problems, since that isn't what it does.

Specifically, can you give us more details on exactly what you want. This forum is a wealth of knowledge, and a lot of people will be willing to help you, and answer your questions. Patience runs deep here, if the person posing the questions is willing to listen to the answers. Also, we appreciate the comment 'I know you've just explained a whole lot to me, and 95% of it just went over my head!'

What experience do you have with computer music? What about MIDI and Sequencers? We'll ask you about your computer, and detailed answers about your computer are very helpful, such as what Processor you have, i.e., an Athlon 64X2 3800+, two separate hard drives, not one partitioned into two drives, what kind of sound card, i.e., a Creative Labs Audigy 2, or a RealTec onboard sound chip, how much RAM, like 2 gigs or 512 megs. That sort of information is always useful to the person who is trying to help you. We can get you through this, although it might take a while, but you can learn this here, on this forum.

We'll be looking for questions, we have the answers.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Ed. Welcome to the forum!

FYI, there is no review of posts when posted. Of course, like any forum, some are removed for cause, but that does not happen often.

There are several here who know all about connecting and recording keyboards. I'm sure you can get the help you need from right here.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Hi Ed,

First, more info about your setup would be in order.

What *kind* and type of piano? MIDI keyboard or acoustic piano? This is important as only the MIDI-fied piano keyboard can create the notes on the staff for you.

Second, what type of piano playing do you want to notate?

Third, what type of music sheet are you after? A fake chart, which is melody line plus chords, is likely the easiest thing to create in BIAB. More complex charting is possible, but can get rather clunky to accomplish, depending upon what kind of charts and for what kind of instruments.

Finally, the task will go a lot easier if you record to the metronome inside BIAB rather than trying to do it while counting on your own. Playing to the metronome will guarantee that the notes get printed in the right places in the right bars from beginning to end.

--Mac

E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do understand what Band in a Box is and does. I had it years ago and never really got off the ground with it because It was so complicated and I spent more time trying to figure it out. However, I just upgraded to the latest and greatest so at least I should be up to speed on the software itself.
As far as the computer....yes it is big enough to do what it nees. I have an AMD 3500 2.21 GHZ with 1 gig of ram and 1 terra byte of space so the computer is not the issue at all. Being a photographer I have machines that can handle tasks especially with photoshop etc.

The first two things you mentioned are exactly what I am trying to do. I am not trying to have it transcribe etc. Just play into it and do it to the metranome and have a melody line and chords.

Lagacy sound card is what I have. As far as midi and Computer music I have a basic understanding of what Midi is and the tracks and channels etc. I have Audition and had other programs in the past of the like. I know Audition is a powerful program and have not mastered that at all but someday. I had cakewalk before too and did sequencing with external devices.

I guess there are just so many things that I never took advantage of before and I want to use it to the fullest. I have a band and often times just want to take some charts and change Chords where needed and even learn how to place note for a lead sheet etc. I'm sure it can do all of that but with all of the menu options and sub menu drop downs you just get lost as well as the icons and what they do.

I also wanted to get a resource of MGU songs where I can browse and open Standards charts like Misty, Satin Doll and the miriad of other Jazz standards. I was told that there are people who have a ton of not just Midi files but also BB songs that have the melody etc.

So, that is the latest to your questions back to me. Does that help? I appreciate the input and hope to get off the ground and start recording. I know that the midi set up and clicking the right boxes is a challenge because there are so many options. I also have a keyboard that does not have midi anymore but does have usb....does that work with this program or just midi keyboards?

Thanks Gary...They tell me you are the best. :-) I just wish there was someway to go to a workshop and get the hands on and learn. I am definately more of a visual learner rather than flipping through manuals and the like. Some people can do well with ready volumes of directions and figure it out.

Are any of the video tutorials decent and really show you or are they all over the place?

Thanks!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi Ed, I'm a beginner too and I would recommend watching the videos - in particular video tutorial pak volume 1 and video tutorial pak volume 2. They'll give you a basic understanding of where the important stuff is and help to start you off.

If you want to be able to play your keyboard and record it into biab, you'll need to use a midi interface - midi out on the keyboard - midi in on your soundcard. Check your keyboard instructions to see if there's a midi out. Check the inputs on your soundcard to see if there's a midi in.

If you haven't got midi, you could still input melody and chords - but you'll have to do it by using the mouse for the melody - drawing the notes in via the notation window. The chords - you type in chord symbols into chord window. Both of these things are shown in the video tutorials. To print out leadsheets with chord symbols etc just go to the leadsheet window and click on print. Again the videos show you where this is.

To listen to the vast array of files, simply go to File/open and rootle through the bb directory - load them in and take a listen.

I know it looks daunting and initially seems like a festoonment of buttons, but I think it's well worth the effort at the beginning to sit and watch the vids. Especially if you're a visual learner!

Good luck!

Veteran
Veteran
I have an old Roland keyboard and the Ultra Pak on an external usb drive. I also have the Ketron sd2. On my main computer which is a new big monster hp running 10 gigs of memory and two 500 gig harddrives I have a mini usb from Edirol 1 in and 1 out. Works on xp and vista no problems I did not even have to download a driver for Vista which surprised me. Plug and play.

I run the left and right out of the Roland to my powered mixer. I route the midi into band in a box and use the Thru connection to use the Ketron as part of the mix, running the other end of the usb midi to the ketron and it has left and right to another channel on the powered mixer.

I have a second setup now using either my Sony Laptop and a non powered mixer and a keyboard amp, and use that upstairs with the accousitc piano. I also use that setup with my our Acer Asipre running on an Intel Atom. All of them work, once you get comfortable with the configurations. I eventually decided I did not need to see the notes I play, they are seldom the same. I make leadsheets for Brass Quintets and Quartets, and ususally export them to a music score software, for although Band in A Box will make me a 4 part harmony I often want to change notes, especially passing notes etc....

I am probably best known for a statement that the easier it is to learn a piece of software,the sooner you will tire of it and the simplicity inherent therein, and the software becomes quickly redundant.

Good Luck, tackle one piece of the problem at a time, watch the videos, then post your questions...help is available.....

John Conley
Musica est vita
Expert
Expert
I think a "BiaB University" would be a great idea.

Though I'd hate to have to fly across the continent to BC to attend it.

Or a local BiaB teacher.

Anyone available in Northern Virginia?

A
A
okay

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AlfieEdwards
okay

Alfie, Welcome to the forums.

You revived an eleven year old thread - maybe a record!

Do let us know how we can help. Tell us a bit more about your setup, and ambitions. There are lots of people here to assist.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,741
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191