Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
RapidComposer beta is now in actual vst form in vst-32/64 & vst3-32/64
it will now take audio tracks as well as midi giving BB as many audio and midi tracks as you like.
It will fit any midi to the Biab chord track.
It will get the chords from Biab by saving BB Chord Output to midi.
This is a great tool to have with Biab but the sync still needs fixing in Biab for it to work correctly (it syncs playing from the start of the song but not from within the song, hopefully that will be fixed soon).
The Light Edition should take audio tracks and that is usually around $50 during in regular sales.
http://www.musicdevelopments.com/news.html
If you want to help with the development just click here
v3 Beta Feedback And Discussion (Bugs, Features, Suggestions)

New Melody Editor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwuSm3XLsQ

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Biab-RapidComposerVst.png (173.08 KB, 170 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Pipeline!

"as many audio tracks" - But they have to conform to the actual finished composition, they will not respond to new chord changes.

Interesting find / workaround regardless! Yep, sync part...
I was playing around yesterday sending chord track through loopmidi to another software midi arranger, similar idea to yours, to expand track count... to get the 7 BIAB tracks + more midi tracks, playing together in sync. Unfortunately it was not a successful journey. Still ended up with separate Midi tracks + Real tracks and piecing them together in DAW.

I believe the only right way to do this is to open up BIAB mixer for more RT or MIDI tracks, so it syncs everything in real time (tempos, etc.) to chord grid of BIAB.

If asked me today, probably #1 feature request for BIAB would be opening mixer to more channels (RT+MIDI). Maybe it will happen, who knows. If it does not happen with next year update, I will definitely look into RapidComposer VST, if devs fix the sync.

Thank you for sharing!

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#

If asked me today, probably #1 feature request for BIAB would be opening mixer to more channels (RT+MIDI). Maybe it will happen, who knows. If it does not happen with next year update, I will definitely look into RapidComposer VST, if devs fix the sync.

Thank you for sharing!

I have been asking for PGM to open up all 16 channels for years.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Mario,
I think 24 track (Midi or RT) is a better number smile
That way you can set 16 channels for MIDI and still have your 8 for RT's. Or any other combination...

If that is not on near future plans, Pipeline's find might be an answer for the midi part of track count. (If devs fix sync)

As pipeline wrote, the RapidComposer is "usually around $50 during in regular sales". I rather pay $50 more for BIAB if PG opens that mixer up smile

I find it a bit frustrating jumping from one program to another to glue / try things to sound together. I mean at the end of the game, it is still the DAW... but when making "bones" of the tune, I would like to stay in single software (BIAB).

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Mario,
I think 24 track (Midi or RT) is a better number smile
That way you can set 16 channels for MIDI and still have your 8 for RT's. Or any other combination...

One MIDI port handles 16 channels, thus 24 can't be accomplished. It has to be 32 channels, i.e. 2 ports. Each BiaB would be on a channel, either as MIDI or RTs. The user would be able to designate each track as audio or MIDI, very similar to a DAW.

I believe we are on the same wavelength, just using different numbers.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Year ago it was explained that Biab uses midi channels for much more than simple track count. Everything Biab does is controlled internally by midi. This was when Biab only had one midi port now of course, Biab has several. Does that make a difference, who knows. Again we're requesting things and speculating with no clue at all about the mysterious and proprietary "secret sauce" that makes Biab work.

And to keep beating that poor old dead horse, track count was a primary reason for the creation of Real Band. 48 tracks, just sayin.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Year ago it was explained that Biab uses midi channels for much more than simple track count. Everything Biab does is controlled internally by midi. This was when Biab only had one midi port now of course, Biab has several. Does that make a difference, who knows. Again we're requesting things and speculating with no clue at all about the mysterious and proprietary "secret sauce" that makes Biab work.

And to keep beating that poor old dead horse, track count was a primary reason for the creation of Real Band. 48 tracks, just sayin.

Bob

Bob, you are right that I don't know the "secret sauce"that makes BiaB work. Only the programmers know that.

Also BiaB and RB are two different programs and each one does somethings better than the other one.

You said "to keep beating that poor old dead horse". Who said it was dead? From this layman's point of view, right or wrong, it appears as BiaB is locked into old code that has had many band aids placed on it over the years. FWIW I think that it needs a complete rewrite. YMMV

P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
I too have been asking for 10 years for more tracks and trying to find workarounds but at the end of the day I think It's just meant to be a 5 piece band for auto accompaniment.
The new RapidComposer VST is about the best option so far as it will do way more things with midi than can be done in Biab.
When you change chords/scales in it that midi will just fit the new chord/scale.

Veteran
Veteran
Brrrr...

I am sure (and hopeful) more expanding mixer tracks can be accomplished...within BIAB. Programming acrobatics, probably, but it is not a rocket science.

Rewrite, yes sure that could be a fun project smile most likely not in near future. However, a cleanup, sorting menus and tuning things that are already in place might be very beneficial to future PGmusic followers.

PS. I would gladly sacrifice 40+ new program features for a Mixer that would have more tracks in BIAB (kindly note, I mention BIAB, not RB)

Veteran
Veteran
From a programmer's point of view, I think BIAB has to open up a second MIDI port. Mario and Bob gave some of the explanations. The existing port already can have all 16 channels in use, depending on whether you use harmony and whether you specify the guitar strings on separate channels. Then, as all song files for 30 years conform to this specification, there is compatibility to think about.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
With RapidComposerVST you can send midi out to the host or send it to a soundfont. I think they will do the same as VSTSynthFont let you set the midi to vsti as well as a soundfont.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RapidComposerVST-Send-Sfz.gif (163.1 KB, 86 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Playing devil's advocate here.

Is everyone aware both the Melody AND Soloist tracks can independently store user data for 16 midi channels? So Band-in-a-Box users have 32 independent midi channels available for their use in a song project beside whatever midi data already exists in the other tracks.

Envision both the Melody and Soloist tracks as user midi ports. PG Music calls this feature Melody/Soloist Sequencer Mode. Sequencer Mode even has an icon button.

To turn on, or enable Sequencer Mode, set either the Melody track type, Soloist track type or both track types to "Multi (16) Channel" or use the button. The Biab user manual covers the Melody/Soloist Sequencer Mode in chapter 10 starting on page 321.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
Thanks Jim, I tried them but it seems once you set the track to Multichannel via the Sequencer button they both send the multichannel midi to the Default Synth.
So I can't load something like MiniHost or KV Element on the Melody and Soloist track and route the midi channels out to individual VST Instruments as it only seems to send the one channel out to the track VST Instrument.
Maybe I'm too stressed out with it all to get my head around it crazy
I've spent too many years finding workarounds for old 90's software.
With the RapidComposer VST it just all works wonderfully (Back To The Future).
That's why I said about the small simple VST that sends transport controls from your DAW to the Biab app, it's so simple and Biab can stay how it is (but add the bar 2 bar regen) and this will hook it up to a modern DAW and you will have all the features of Biab that the BiabVST don't have like play from RAM and the other million features n functions.
The BiabVST will be for those that have never learnt Biab or never wanted to learn Biab and want a simple basic easy to use VST to generate up extra tracks for their DAW recorded session.
There are just so many old limitations in Biab like fake time signatures and 255 bar limit. Unless there is a profound million dollar redo you just need to accept it as it is.
With a simple transport sending VST, the BiabVST and RapidComposerVST that would go a long way.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,449
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195