Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#758261 03/17/23 08:39 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Boots49 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I am going crazy with the drum fills on my song.
I have set up part markers, and right clicked on the bar and chose Allow drum fill for the bar before the part marker.
This occurs a number of times in the song.
For some sections it works, and for others there is no drum fill.
I made sure the drum track is not frozen, and I click on Generate and Play.
Then I get a fill where it was missing, but then some of the ones I liked before are gone now!
I know BIAB has no current feature to re-generate parts/bars of RealDrum tracks (which would be great!), so I can see that if I Re-generate the whole song it might change some fills to ones i might not like as much, but removing them is a bit much.
I keep thinking there is some setting I'm missing.
Any thoughts or suggestions (other than trying the Copy & Paste of drum parts in RealBand) I would appreciate them.
Thanks all!

2023 BIAB Ultrapak, Reaper, EZDrummer 2 & 3, Roland VS-2480, Tascam 38 Reel to Reel 8-Track
Veteran
Veteran
Are your part markers a different color then the prior section color? They have to be for a drum fill.

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I'm new and probably should keep my mouth shut but . . . In the songs I have done so far in BiaB I get a drum fill the measure prior to every part marker. Doesn't matter if it's the same or different part

Don't ever try and be like anybody else and don't be afraid to take risks. -Waylon Jennings

PC-Win 10 Pro-Intel i9 9900 3.6 GHz-32 gig ram-SSD (X3)-AMD RX 550
AUDIO INTERFACE-Presonus FP10/Firepods
SOFTWARE-Cakewalk by Bandlab / BiaB 2023 UltraPAK
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MusicStudent
Are your part markers a different color then the prior section color? They have to be for a drum fill.

I didn't know that.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack

I didn't know that.
And I don’t think it’s true. Fills are more exaggerated between changes, particularly green to blue. But my experience is almost exclusively in the jazz and Latin styles, and occasional gentle drum fills are playable within the same part marker type. Plus, as of BIAB 2022, you have control whether a part marker triggers a fill.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran

I have done songs mostly in MIDI but also with RTs and the color of the drum fill doesn't matter. You will get a drum fill regardless of the drum fill color.

Now having said that some styles, mostly new age and train drumming, the drum fill may only be a cymbal hit or an extra drum hit.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack

I didn't know that.
And I don’t think it’s true. Fills are more exaggerated between changes, particularly green to blue. But my experience is almost exclusively in the jazz and Latin styles, and occasional gentle drum fills are playable within the same part marker type. Plus, as of BIAB 2022, you have control whether a part marker triggers a fill.

Maybe, I got something mixed up there. But a blue to blue will move the next measure to a new line (if configure to) but will not add a drum fill, while a blue to green will move the next measure to a new line and will add a fill. I just tryed it, and it was as I remember. You guys must know that? cry

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

Veteran
Veteran
Time to experiment.

And the OP has 2022. EDIT: updated to 2023, it says

Last edited by Matt Finley; 03/19/23 08:16 AM.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Boots.

Re Drum Fills.

there is a trick i use you might try sometime.

1..create a new bb project separate from your song….lets call it Gonzo Drum Fills.GDF.
2..set GDF to same tempo as your song…and drum style(s) you want in song.
3..populate the bb chord sheet all over with x.d
(x = song key it dont matter c or d or whatever). eg c.d means only play drums.
4..put markers everywhere you want…n' any pushes/stops you want etc.etc.
5..generate GDF to hear drum fills play back…
then you can place the fills anywhere you want mate n' move em around.to see where the fills work best in the song against the song arrange bed traks.

between bb n' realband …you can do the following…

..gen loads of midi n' audio drum traks.
(on the midi drum traks you can load in drum plug ins if you wish)
..as above re fills etc .
..as above to do FANCY SHORT n' LOOONG DRUM SOLOS !
..using above ideas you could get rhythms that sync with the real drums.
eg lets say you want a synth rhythm that follows the drums or whatever,as realband has 48 traks you can get very very fancy with genning loads of drum traks n' fills etc etc…
eg rb has a drum pattern generator also that can
be used for instrument rhythms. …the skys the limit.

lots of triks to discover in rb eg sometime check out rb BARS VIEW for moving chunks of drum riffs around not only within a trak but also comping new final drum trak from various drum generations.

for EXAMPLE in rb you could end up with the following..

..end up with a trak with a final comped drum trak (from several gens.)
..have a separate trak for FILLS.
..have a third trak for drum SOLOS.

bars view is very useful in rb.

anyhoo i hope this gives you enough info to start.
lots of drum triks to discover tween bb n' realband.

happiness.

om

ps MATT is spot on with his comment EXPERIMENT.
(in both bb n' rb)

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 03/17/23 01:43 PM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
BiaB 2023 UltraPAK - I have a song up right now on the other screen with Blue (a) to Blue (a) and green b to green b several places and I get a drum fill at all of them. I did it that way just to get the drum fills before I knew about the "Allow Drum Fill" check box.

Last edited by Sawmill Music; 03/17/23 01:49 PM.

Don't ever try and be like anybody else and don't be afraid to take risks. -Waylon Jennings

PC-Win 10 Pro-Intel i9 9900 3.6 GHz-32 gig ram-SSD (X3)-AMD RX 550
AUDIO INTERFACE-Presonus FP10/Firepods
SOFTWARE-Cakewalk by Bandlab / BiaB 2023 UltraPAK
Veteran
Veteran
I just ran about 40 styles where I changed every 4 measures, A-A-B-B. I used about 20 MIDI styles and 20 RT styles. In every case there was a drum fill at each A and B.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Quote:
I know BIAB has no current feature to re-generate parts/bars of RealDrum tracks (which would be great!)

Yes that would be great. In the mean-time there are various solutions that would involve copying audio here and there, but here is a trick you could use. This isn't something that's normally done but it will work...

But first, a fill SHOULD actually occur in every bar preceding a part marker, unless you disable fills at that bar. Perhaps you are hearing a fill but it's just not as intense as the other fills in the style. If on the other hand there really is no fill at all, that could be a bug in the style.

Here is the trick you could use to select certain fills to play in your song.

1. First you need to find the "definition" file for the RealDrums being used in your song. This is one of the text file in your bb/Drums folder. If the RD has variations (^01, ^02... ) then you need to locate the text file for the same variation. Additionally, it has to be for the same tempo. If your RD has a ~ symbol in the mixer you need to pay attention to that, since that indicates the RD is automatically being substituted for one with a closer tempo. E.G. BluesShuffleHard^4-HHDb,RideDb_120_style.txt ---> this is BluesChuffleHard variation 4, tempo 120.

2. Make a copy of this file so you can restore it later. E.G. BluesShuffleHard^4-HHDb,RideDb_120_style copy.txt

3. Open the file (not the copy, but the original) with a text editor (e.g. notepad) and search for the fill patterns . e.g. pattern,Fill,A,1,0,1,106 --> this is a fill that occurs in the A section (leading to either an A or B section). They are normally grouped together but there might be a few groups in the same text file.

4. Comment out all but one line of the fills by putting a semicolon at the start of the line, then save. Re-generate in BIAB and listen to the fill. Repeat for other fills as desired until you find the one(s) you don't like.

5. Comment only the ones you don't like, generate, and FREEZE the Drums track.

6. Restore the original text file (if you want, or alternatively continue using yours, but make a backup of it as it might get overwritten in an update.)

This would address the Fill bars but not necessarily the Postfill bars (the bar that the partmarker is on). Postfill tweaking would be much more complicated and you might end up with silent bars.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Well if there is a A-A drum fill or a B-B drum fill, then it must be subtle casue I can't hear it. I do hear A-B or B-A.

But nevertheless, if you have to jump through the hoops discribed here, you may want to check out EZDrummer3 and get the job done right the first time.

Veteran
Veteran
Well if there is a A-A drum fill or a B-B drum fill, then it must be subtle casue I can't hear it. I do hear A-B or B-A.

But nevertheless, if you have to jump through the hoops discribed here, you may want to check out EZDrummer3 and get the job done right the first time.

Would you post what style(s) you are using? I for one would like to check it/them out.

Boots49 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
First off, Wow! Thanks so much for all this great feedback.
It's going to take me a bit to digest all these replies and respond.
I will say that I have to disagree with the one suggestion/assertion that fills only occur when choosing a green part marker.
I have written 15 or so songs in BIAB and found I get drum fills (as long as I allow them by right clicking the part marker) with either Blue-A or Green-B, but I agree that the change/fill is more pronounced when it's before a Green-B part marker, but still there for the Blue-A part.
On this song I get them on either type of part marker, just not all of them, and when I re-generate and play, some appear where there were none, and others that were there before disappear.
One new question: can a drum fill (which is supposed to be in the bar before the part marker) show up as JUST a single cymbal crash on the first beat of the bar with the part marker?? If so, then it is working, but certainly not what I'd call a fill/pick-up setting up the next bar.

Before addressing some of the other thoughts, suggestions and questions, let me give you some information on the song I'm working on with the issue:
Style: CTRWZPS.STY Slow Country Waltz with Pedal Steel. It's in 3/4 time, and although the style tempo is 85, I upped it to 114 for my tune.
Is that a possible problem?
The RealDrums used are NashClassicWaltzSW^

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to send you the .SGU file.

Again, many thanks to all who responded. I will reply in greater detail tomorrow, as well as report on my further experimenting. (Yes, I do keep looking for other ways to work around as I am still pretty much a novice)
Thanks again!

2023 BIAB Ultrapak, Reaper, EZDrummer 2 & 3, Roland VS-2480, Tascam 38 Reel to Reel 8-Track
Veteran
Veteran
Testing a jazz style, I do hear fills for each part marker, including several in a row. I can turn off the fills before a part marker, and I can also force a fill where there is no part marker.

I think the subtlety in what you may be hearing is caused by where in the phrase you put the fill, or don't put the fill. I think, with no evidence other than my ears, that the drummer who recorded the RealDrum part just naturally is more likely to put some fill-like pattern every fourth bar, for example. You can ask for a fill in the first measure of a phrase leading to measure two, but it's not as musical and the drummer won't emphasize it.

It is worth more testing.

Veteran
Veteran
At the moment you can't cop/cut/paste RealDrum sections like you can RealTracks.
You can load the original RealDrum source file into a Utility track and set it's tempo if different to the project tempo, you can then cut/copy/paste sections, but it will be an attached wav file.
Once non destructive editing is added all this will be just so easy to get what you want:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
BB23-Drums-Copy-Audio-Edit.gif (214.91 KB, 125 downloads)
BB23-NDE-Audio-Edit.gif (421.95 KB, 125 downloads)
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Boots49
One new question: can a drum fill (which is supposed to be in the bar before the part marker) show up as JUST a single cymbal crash on the first beat of the bar with the part marker?? If so, then it is working, but certainly not what I'd call a fill/pick-up setting up the next bar.

Yes it can be just a cymbal crash or an extra drum hit depending on what style you are using. That is what I was referring to when I said "Now having said that some styles, mostly new age and train drumming, the drum fill may only be a cymbal hit or an extra drum hit" in a previous post. In other words not all drum fills are flashy.

PS - The best way to hear is to crank up the drum volume so it is the loudest track. It makes it easier to hear those subtle so called drum fills. That is what I did in all of my testing.

Last edited by MarioD; 03/18/23 03:09 AM.

Boots49 Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
[quote=justanoldmuso]Boots.

Re Drum Fills.

there is a trick i use you might try sometime.

1..create a new bb project separate from your song….lets call it Gonzo Drum Fills.GDF.
2..set GDF to same tempo as your song…and drum style(s) you want in song.
3..populate the bb chord sheet all over with x.d
(x = song key it dont matter c or d or whatever). eg c.d means only play drums.
4..put markers everywhere you want…n' any pushes/stops you want etc.etc.
5..generate GDF to hear drum fills play back…
then you can place the fills anywhere you want mate n' move em around.to see where the fills work best in the song against the song arrange bed traks.

Lots of great info there! Thanks!
Regarding your first suggestion in BIAB, if I understand correctly, I should create a new project, i.e GonzoDrumFills.SGU, setting the time sig and tempo as with my original project.
Then create a whole bunch of bars, populating each bar with something like "G.d".
Then create numerous part markers wherever I want, and allow drum fills for them.
Then use Generate and Play to hear the drums and fills play back.
Do I have that so far?
What I'm not sure I'm getting is how to move around the fills, and place them anywhere I want, and then how to get them into my song.
I'm sure it's due to my inexperience but let me know if you can.
Thanks again.
Boots

Veteran
Veteran
I tried making a test song using your choice of style, CTRWZPS.STY, at tempo 114.

First off, altering the tempo from expected doesn't seem to matter. RealDrums don't seem to have the same rules for stretching tempos, and they seem to seamlessly substitute something that works when you alter a tempo much from the expected base tempo.

My test song had all kinds of fills for A and B part markers, musically right and wrong, and they rarely made a difference. It's as if I'm the bandleader and I told the drummer what to play, he or she says OK, then plays whatever they were going to play anyway. Now, I'm not entirely kidding. It would really stand out in this simple drumming if any frills were added. At best, I hear an occasional light cymbal hit either on beat 3 before a measure with a part marker, or a slightly heavier cymbal crash on beat one of the measure with the part marker.

But I think I would have heard pretty much that same thing from this drummer no matter whether I inserted fills or not.

Bottom line, either this style just doesn't have fills to play, or less likely, there is something wrong with the programming of the style. As a jazz player, I'm not the one to judge.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,579
Posts734,675
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200