Print Thread
Go To
#650254 04/05/21 09:41 PM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi to all,
I am in the process of overhauling my home music studio and am facing some software choices.
I know that many of you use alternative software to Power Tracks Pro Audio(PTPA).
I am in the process of evaluating Reaper in this regard.
My questions are as follows:
- what can these suites do that PTPA can't?
- how long has it taken you to gain enough proficiency in Reaper (or StudioOne etc) to be able to produce music with it?
- I am finding Reaper to be a huge step backwards in its capcity to manage MIDI (or at least in the ease of use of the programme). DId you have a similar experience?
Thanks,
Marc

Last edited by mglinert; 04/05/21 09:41 PM.
mglinert #650450 04/07/21 01:30 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Others can use VST3, for one.
Then again they don't have Realdrums.

As far as MIDI in Reaper; it doesn't have some of the features PT has due to PT starting back when MIDI was all it did.
I do kind of like how you can create a 4 bar MIDI and just drag the end of it to cause it to loop for as many bars as you want in Reaper. Faster than Copy/Paste sometimes.
But you'll miss things like the Data Filter, dedicated MIDI track functions, etc.

They are all different, otherwise there would only need to be just one <grin>

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #650463 04/07/21 02:52 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
To the OP(mglinert) and rharv.
although i started on Powertraks in days of yore, and yes the midi features were/are extensive; i must be fair.
reapers midi features are now extensive.
it would take a couple of days just to view all the midi vids at reaper.fm

sorry to the op , but it would take a looong time for me to list all the features.
thus just go to the vids labelled "midi & virtual instruments" at reaper.fm , and clik on it. a slew of midi vids will appear.
it will take you a couple of days to view all the extensive features and tips by kenny who is a grammy winner.
he really knows his stuff.

heres just one of many relating to just midi data filter. <<note rharv.
(also look at the reaps stash and js midi util plug ins sometime.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GId0W5402BI

there is just a slew of grrreat vids on reaper on you tube, as there are on pg's grrreat products.
in fact in my own song projects i often mix both pg plug ins,
and reaper plug ins.
my main programs i use are biab/rb/reaper all the way.

ps. go carefully through the reaper stash sometime, there are little utility nuggets to be found and features; just like one would find cool features deep down in biab and rb and powertraks. frankly mglinert i dont think its one daw versus another all are usefull.

best
oldmuso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 04/07/21 02:58 AM.

New Song "PRETTY GIRL" for my wife...Dec 2023
(my vocs....mixed for good earbuds.)
https://soundcloud.com/alfsongs/prettygirlrbfinalcalfsongsdec2023mp3
(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
mglinert #650679 04/08/21 10:25 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Many thanks for these responses.
On the particular Copy/Paste comment Rharv you can tell PTPA to copy a selection of MIDI bars as many times as you like in the 'Paste' window, but I'm sure you knew that!
I've got a lot of catching up to do...stayed too long with the same setup.
I don't know what VST1 and 2 are, never mind 3!
I'm making (slow) progress with Reaper. Very friendly and helpful forum there too.
I take the point about all the DAWS being different - so far I've looked at StudioOne and Reaper.
Marc

mglinert #650691 04/08/21 01:14 PM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, Reaper has a learning curve, but as you noticed their support/forum is very helpful, much like here.

As someone else mentioned; watch some videos; Reaper can do most things, but it is a different approach.
And there are lots of videos.

I usually use RB/PT as long as I can because of familiarity/comfort, but I will move to Reaper when needed.
I also discovered you can open a RB/PT project, and then open a Reaper project and simply drag the desired tracks from one to the other (as long as Tempo/Key match) and keep moving.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB-ReaperDrag7-4.jpg (178.4 KB, 145 downloads)

rharv #650885 04/10/21 03:13 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
yep.
rharv , in days of yore after i had paid peanuts for powertraks
i used to enjoy showing some "high falutin big studio" friends who had spent small fortunes on software what powertraks could do for little money.
it blew them away. and still today its a bargoon price imho,
considering all the features.
but of course then ages ago i used to get the "snooty types" lol
say to me , "well old chap if you want to get a hit , you need
to get XYZ and spend thousands" lol.
what a load of rubbish ! they just couldnt accept what powertraks could do. i mean 48 traks years ago , it was heaven to me at that time. in summary my love for powertraks is because it let me do so
much all those years ago.
i believe the emerick/martin/beatles combo would still produce grrreat hits if all they had was powertraks.
crikey they used to produce hits on studer b67's with only 3 traks,, think what they would have done with 48 lol !

powertraks 1st time purchase 49 buks or upgrade 29 buks.
WHAT A STEAL OF A DEAL IMHO !!!.
(imagine on a raspberry pi ! yeh simon i know win api's .
sorry couldnt resist lol, and respect to the pg team still offering the nice powertraks product !)

best
still-respect-powertraks-old-muso

Last edited by justanoldmuso; 04/10/21 03:17 AM.

(and rock song THE STALLION and bluegrass song... BANKER MAN....90 songs useing bb/rb.)
mglinert #652476 04/21/21 07:19 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Expert
Expert
i got PT free with my BIAB on floppy discs. it's so long ago now i can't remember how long it took me to get familiar with it but now working in RB the grounding i got in PT means its second nature - at least as soon as i got used to RTs when i upgraded from BIAB 2008 a few years ago.

mglinert #653929 05/01/21 12:14 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
May update,
Still assessing Reaper but I'm so far from being able to use it efficiently that I think I will hold off until I have the time to invest.
I have, however, upgraded to the latest version of PTPA which seems ideal - more advanced than my previous version (12) but instantly recognisable and usable.
Should I stick with COYOTEWT or install a different softsynth? If so, what are your recommendations?
Thanks,
Marc

mglinert #653934 05/01/21 01:24 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Marc,
It took me a long time to feel comfortable in Reaper also.
And PT does 98% of what Reaper can do, plus some things it can't, so I wouldn't worry about it until you find a need for it.
As for softsynth, lately I just use the CoyoteWT for the quick work, then turn to hardware synths for the heavy lifting.

If I were to recommend another softsynth for you it would likely be the TTS-1 (closest to the old SoundCanvas you were used to).

rharv #653938 05/01/21 02:00 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
Marc.
bonjour.
re coyote. its not an either OR an or decision you need to make.
even if you set coyote as default.
in either a reaps midi track OR a ptraks midi trak you should be able to load in a vst instrument plug in, if you wish.
there is a world of wonderfull free midi instrument plug ins out there.
from the zillions available , before i use in a song i make sure i look at the exe size as well as run a test on how well the plug in operates. i only use low cpu use plug ins. some can be real cpu hogs.
and some lean and sound great.

i would urge you to check out in particular 2 sources i like for plug ins.
1. computer music mag plug ins. (you must know this being from the uk.) once a year i buy the mag to get the 80 free plug ins which include some great instruments..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tj5gzacq_U
2. kvraudio plug ins.
https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/the-newest-plugins
plus you can do your own web searches. for example lets say you want a strad violin sound. just do a web search on free strad vsti plug in.

best
i'm plugged in old muso lol.

mglinert #654065 05/02/21 02:21 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks a lot Rharvey, Muso for these 2 very helpful posts.

mglinert #659088 06/05/21 07:53 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
I noticed that in reaper, a simple thing like increasing the gain on a small section of the song is a big pain - requiring, i think splitting the track at that point ...

MicWells #659091 06/05/21 08:06 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
J
Veteran
Veteran
J
simple in reaps hilite and split then adjust vol of
clip OR copy hilite new trak and adjust vol OR
use reaps automation. its a doddle.
i do it all the time.
best
oldmuso

mglinert #661383 06/21/21 05:37 PM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
Friends,

Wanted to add my two cents..

As far as I have experienced, if you are a guitar player, vocalist. PT will do anything as good as anything else. Beautiful, stable program.

If you are a keyboard player, some other considerations of where PT stands with Reaper, Studio One.

PT follows the standard one track one synth approach. So you can add a piano to a track and it works. What happens however if you want to layer the piano with some strings. Can't do it on the same track. Can open another track, copy midi files and honestly clutter up things badly if you want to layer more synths.

Reaper was a breath of fresh air when it added the ability to chain synths on a single track. Broke the industry limitation at the time but not entirely.

Reaper chain synths can't pan, can't entirely control individual effects on an individual synth, but still a blessing and all you need for most applications.

Studio One finally broke all limitations in this regard with a true native modular environment. Route anything anywhere series or parallel with complete control over where what is and what effects are applied. All on one track.

Wish PT could do this as well...

Workaround in PT is to load a third party software to take over the routing task. My favorite is the old Energy XT. Load XT and do the routing and effects so you can get all control parameters on a single track.

Not bashing PT because this is where the majority of DAWs are currently, just that Reaper and Studio One recognized and dealt with this limitation with elegance. Hope the devs are listening and can get us piano players up to speed with the leading edge.

Everyone stay safe in these crazy times.

John

mglinert #665666 07/25/21 11:15 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
P
Paj Offline
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
PTPA 2021: 48 Track maximum.

Paj
8^)

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,392
Posts732,471
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195