Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
In the last few weeks, I discovered that the Bar Settings feature in RB doesn't seem to work the same as it does in BiaB. Though I've done some research on this feature by checking the manual and by searching the forums for the existence of any discussions about this feature, my research didn't produce the answers I was looking for. So, I decided to submit this post.

A new song I was working on recently unexpectedly ended up exceeding the 255 bar limit in BiaB. So, I decided to try opening my song in RB so that I wouldn't have to split it into two sections in order to continue working on it in BiaB. But when I opened my song in RB and then tried to apply the same Bar Settings that I had applied in BiaB, I wasn't able to do so because the names on each track didn't correspond to the instruments for each track that were in the style I had selected. So, I ended up splitting my song into two sections and going back to BiaB to finish the arrangement for my song in two stages. Has anyone else encountered this problem with RB's Bar Settings, or am I missing some steps in my attempt to use this feature?

Tom Levan (pronounced La-VAN)
BiaB 2024 Win UltraPAK Build 1109, Xtra Style PAKs 1-11, RB 2024, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Q9650 3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD, Tracktion 6 & 7 (freebies), Cakewalk, Audacity, MuseScore 2.1 & 3.4, Synthesizer V
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi

I think this may be due to Realband using the old legacy track names
Whereas BIAB now uses the actual instrument on the track names.

You can set biab to use legacy names but then you will have to remember which instrument is on the default say piano or guitar track.
But at least they don’t move around.
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Mike is correct. You can change those track names though to the instruments so that they make sense to you so that they are the same as in Man in the Box

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Haha. Band in a box

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi
Yes as said above, the track names in RB are only text labels, and as such you can call them what you like. They only belong to the track name slot (field) not the loaded instrument.
Mike

Last edited by Mike Head; 08/10/19 05:36 AM.

RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
Hi

I think this may be due to Realband using the old legacy track names
Whereas BIAB now uses the actual instrument on the track names.

You can set biab to use legacy names but then you will have to remember which instrument is on the default say piano or guitar track.
But at least they don’t move around.
Mike

That's what was confusing me. The actual instrument names weren't being displayed for each track, so I didn't think it would work the same and wasn't in the frame of mind to try to remember which instrument was in each track. Is there a way to make RB display the actual instrument names for each track? That's what I was expecting when I clicked on the Bar Settings button.

BiaB 2024 Win UltraPAK Build 1109, Xtra Style PAKs 1-11, RB 2024, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Q9650 3 GHz, 16 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD & 2 TB HDD, Tracktion 6 & 7 (freebies), Cakewalk, Audacity, MuseScore 2.1 & 3.4, Synthesizer V
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: silvertones
Mike is correct. You can change those track names though to the instruments so that they make sense to you so that they are the same as in Man in the Box

"Man in the Box." LOL! I like that! So, how do I change them? Also, if I change an instrument after changing them, will the name of that instrument change automatically, or will I have to change it manually?

RealBand
Expert
Expert
hi

See my last post
"Yes as said above, the track names in RB are only text labels, and as such you can call them what you like. They only belong to the track name slot (field) not the loaded instrument."

So they will not follow your instrument change.
Mike

RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Okay, Mike, I got that. So, is there a way to change those text labels in order to eliminate the confusion between them and the actual instrument names? I've searched everywhere but couldn't find any options to do that.

RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi

Yes and no
That is if they are designated as BIAB tracks as they would be by default if the came from a BIAB SONG (the first 8 tracks with blue names then they can not be changed.

If you reset the track to non BIAB right click on track see pic

You can then change the name by double clicking it.
If you then save as a Realband .SEQ FILE it should stick if that seq file is required again.
Mike

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
bb track.jpg (210.11 KB, 93 downloads)

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Try this before importing your XML file. Open real band, go to :
Edit/track/make all bb tracks regular tracks.Then file/import.
Import your xml file.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I tried that, Silvertones, but it didn't change any of the labels.

RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi again
If my last post above Sivertone reply does not hep.
You may like to read my much more detailed description of the Realband instrument names in tracks as opposed to track labels, and how I get then to show the correct info particularly on the play though voice. Its quite long but you need to read it all including the end notes.
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=63093&Number=421946#Post421946

Mike

RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Mike, after reading through your "Fine tuning" post, I realized that I didn't explain my issue clearly enough for either you or Silvertones to understand. Though I was able to figure out how to change the names of the tracks in the Tracks window in RB, the labels I really want to change are those in the Bars dialog box. Unfortunately, it appears that those labels are unchangeable. Below is an image of the Bars dialog box in RB and an image of the same thing in BiaB that should clarify this issue. As you can see, the labels in the BiaB Bars dialog box correspond to the labels on each channel in the chosen style, but the labels in the RB Bars dialog box are merely the default and don't correspond to any of the BB tracks in the chosen style.

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
RB Bars window.png (61.66 KB, 44 downloads)
BiaB Bars window.png (116.6 KB, 44 downloads)

RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi

Oh dear, I see it all now sorry to have gone off down the track display path.
Looks like yet another one for the wish list, It must be possible by pinching some code from BIABs bar options graphics routines I would have thought.

Just the sort of niggle that gripes with me is inconsistency between PGs companion programs and even in the same program in different parts using the same function.

You really should not have to work with fixed default screen labels and make your own notes with a pencil!

Mike

RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Originally Posted By: Mike Head
Oh dear, I see it all now sorry to have gone off down the track display path.
Looks like yet another one for the wish list, It must be possible by pinching some code from BIABs bar options graphics routines I would have thought.

Just the sort of niggle that gripes with me is inconsistency between PGs companion programs and even in the same program in different parts using the same function.

You really should not have to work with fixed default screen labels and make your own notes with a pencil!

Yeah, the inconsistency between RB and BiaB on this one function was an unpleasant surprise to me. And, of course, I didn't want to have to make a list of which instrument is in each track to constantly refer to as I was changing the settings for certain bars throughout the song. It's already enough of a challenge to remember where I wanted those settings to be changed for each instrument.

When I encountered this obstacle, I decided to try using two BiaB plugins in Tracktion (as Pipeline had suggested in another thread) with the intent of being able to use BiaB's Bar Settings feature there instead. But that didn't work out either because the plugins don't have that feature. So, that's when I decided to go back to BiaB with my song and finish working on it there in two sections. If I have another long song to arrange in the future that exceeds the 255 bar limit, I'll probably run two copies of BiaB (per Pipeline's more recent suggestion) so that I can use each copy of BiaB to work on a different section of my song simultaneously. That's about as close as I'll be able to get to an ideal setup for such songs for the time being until something's done about these default labels in RB. Thanks for trying to help!

RealBand
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I have a similar problem when using BiaB MIDI tracks in my DAW, Studio One Pro. BiaB's labels, I call them track names, only apply to certain parts of BiaB. The track names were a good idea but only had a half baked implementation. Luckily I can change the track names in Studio One Pro. Unfortunately I have to write down the BiaB track names so I can remember what they are supposed to be in my DAW.

One would think at least the track names would be consistent in all of BiaB and RB!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
RealBand
Expert
Expert
Hi Mario and Muzikluver

Mario
Yes the problem stems from the fact that there is no parameter or command to save track names / label in midi files in the midi spec. only patch names .
The track names you see belong to the applications way of displaying its information
And therefore have to be entered the applications way, in each different application as they cant be embed in the midi file, for export and import of that midi in different applications,

Muzikluver

To help with remembering with what you have done in bar settings you can print or view a summery as a text file. Print summery button bottom left of bar settings popup.
Great help. Not available in Realband wouldn’t you know so you have to do it before leaving BIAB !

Mike

RealBand
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for that info, Mike. At least there is a way to save the Bar settings info from BiaB. That would be harder to remember than it would be to remember which instrument is on which track, so being able to save it to a text file would be a time saver. Thanks again!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,516
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193