RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi,

Update: I think I figured it out. I went over to the "Metronome" button, clicked on it and unchecked the check-mark beside recording and now it gets rid of the annoying metronome while I am recording.

I have a recording of a song with some others players and myself that dragged from .wav files into in real band (4 tracks in total with each player on a different track). I am not satisfied with the track where I recorded my part. I want to mute it while playing back our recording with real band and re-record my part on another brand new track to make it better then later remove my bad track. On the new track I may need to make a few attempts so I want to keep redoing it until I am satisfied. I am trying to find a video that teaches this but YouTube search "PGmusic real band overdubbing finds nothing" from what I can see. In fact all the video that show up are BIAB videos. Does anyone know where I can find a tutorial video or whatever on doing what I want to do?

One thing I tried was to highlight a new empty track and click the record button at the bottom just right of the transport keys (I am using real band 2016). I get this annoying metronome that is both really loud and completely out of sync with the other tracks we recorded. Assuming I am on the correct path toward doing what I want to do how do does one get rid of that unwanted count down and metronome?

I found something by searching "PGmusic real band recording".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfqCxQ0ZzsA
Not sure if it is what I am looking for but I am watching if for now.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/26/18 08:28 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Disable metronome altogether if you haven't tempo sync'd the song yet.
You may not need to tempo-sync it for your described use, but if you ever want to 'Generate' Realtracks to your song you'll need to do that.
To do this run it through the ACW (plenty of videos on that feature).

Then you'll have the tempo and chords so you can generate tracks, with a side benefit of having the metronome now line up with your song <grin>

But if all you want to do is record other audio tracks, you can turn off the metronome and select a blank audio track, click record and away you go.
There is also a 'Count - in' option in the metronome to disable the count-in so you don't get the annoying metronome pop up before recording if that is occurring.

Do a take, record over it until you have a 'maybe' keeper track.
Mute that tack and select another blank track and record .. eventually you may have enough tracks to cut/paste what you want to one final track, taking a piece from one and a different piece from another track. (Comping a track).
Or you can erase them and have more tries.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks Rharv, sounds like some useful features. John.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
Del Offline
Apprentice
Apprentice
John,
Rharv gave some good advice and I'm glad you figured out the metronome feature. Like Rharv said, you can keep recording new tracks and just mute the ones you aren't happy with. You may be able to cut pieces of those other tracks later and paste them into another track to make a final track. I do this mostly with my vocals but have also used it with guitar tracks. When you are satisfied with everything, you can go back and delete the other tracks if you need to save space on your hard drive. I like to use Realband when laying down tracks and mixing for the final master.

Del
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks for posting John. I was in a rush the first time I read Rharv's post and I couldn't absorb it. The next day I read your post after a nap with nothing on my rush list :-) So I went back and reread his post. This time it sunk in. Yeah I think I might have reason to use it since we are now shooting for jams every 2 weeks and bit by bit I am starting to get more interested in trying new things in real band.

I think I might like to live record a better track and maybe go back and fix up some things. I gather syncing up the metronome with the recording we did is what ACW means. Actually I just used this google search "what does pgmusic realband acw mean" to find out ACW means "Audio Chord Wizard". So maybe not. I gather syncing the metronome to the existing music our group live recorded might be useful for going back and re-recording parts of my fix. For example re-recording my improvised solo and leaving my melody-1 and melody-2 in place. I don't have time at the moment but I found this YouTube search string "pgmusic RealBand: Getting Started" might have the overdubbing features I am interested in. I will have to watch these some time. With me as always it is a matter of trying scramble against a to-do list and trying to fit new learning in.

Something for PGmusic to think about:
It is too bad the string searches within realband and band in a box were not as good as google and youtube. I did a search for overdub and overdugging in google and found the proper answers (based upon my recording experience in my 20s). I did it in realband and I get a no find with both of these very well known key words. I did these searches in youtube "pgmusic realband overdub" and "pgmusic realband overdubbing" then went into the notes on the videos to try and find these keywords to decide which one to watch. The keywords seem to be none existent even though they are well known terms in recording. I would be interested in knowing what terms the people who use RealBand use replace the meaning for overdubbing we find in google which I copied below.

Quote:
Overdubbing (the process of making an overdub, or overdubs) is a technique used in audio recording, whereby a musical passage is recorded two or more times. ... Today, overdubbing can be accomplished even on basic recording equipment, or a typical PC equipped with a sound card, using digital audio workstation software.

So I tried the google string search "pgmusic realband overdub" and found this link.
https://www.pgmusic.com/manuals/rb2018full/chapter6.htm
It is loaded with the term "overdub". So the fact that I found this page is the manual with Google yet the RealBand software search gives me a no find is the issue here. I just noticed this page is midi. Not sure if I am interested in midi related overdubs at this point. Maybe it is not the page I want.

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/27/18 05:24 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Strange, if I search RealBand's user guide for "overdub", I do find information. That being said, I would never overdub in RealBand. There are 48 tracks to work with, I would just keep recording on new tracks, and keep the parts that I like from each one.

Overdubbing does make sense in Band-in-a-Box, since Band-in-a-Box only has one track to work with. In a DAW like RealBand, it isn't commonly done, or necessary, IMHO.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks Kent. I just went back to realband and double checked my search of both "overdub" and "overdubbing" in the help. I get the little popup "No Topics Found".

My understanding of this term is my re-recording my whole track again is in fact overdubbing. It is just not doing it in multiple tries but a single pass (a second chance at getting the whole performance at an acceptable level). So overdubbing is a bit of a generic term I suppose.

I reread you post. What you suggest makes sense. So my understanding is if I was to do that with say 5 tries at playing my whole part I should go back and use the cut command to remove whatever I do not want from each one rather than use cut and paste to try to patch the good stuff into a final track. I would assume that in doing this there is no need to use the metronome sync feature.

Sometimes I think it is just better to go directly to the product and look at the buttons, click on them and read all the stuff and take some guesses or even use these terms in the youtube/google searches hoping to find stuff. I just did that and found the button "Punch in" which is a term I am use to from many years ago with tape overdubs.

Anyway, for now I am happy :-) Maybe after the next jam when I am mixing the recording to put on soundcloud I will push my skills with RealBand a bit farther. My preference is to watch videos if I know they have the pay dirt of what I am looking for :-) Putting all the possible keywords into the video notes might be worth considering as a way to get the best videos to watch to show up first. As an example the youtube "PGmusic RealBand metronome sync" brought up nothing where as in google it does. At this point I can't visualize how I would use such a feature. I was just curious if a video would give me that answer. All our recordings from the jam have the BIAB count in so I don't really need a metronome. I am not out to get a record contact with perfect recordings :-) Market trading is a much better bet for making money and I know all I need to know there :-)

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/27/18 06:00 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
<<< My understanding of this term is my re-recording my whole track again is in fact overdubbing.>>>

You are correct. Overdubbing is the process of performing additional tracks to a recording. It can be a portion of a track or complete tracks and can be different instruments from the original track. It is a very common recording technique and has some unusual results sometimes. For instance, a solo part of a song may have several overdubs and after the recording, the producers comp a new solo from the various tracks the artist recorded the overdubs resulting the the soloist artist having to 'learn' the commercial released version of the song solo performance due to it being a merger of parts from the different tracks and the artist never played or sometimes heard what the final solo performance is until after its been completed by the producer. The artist played the parts during the recording process but may not be part of the comping arrangement and is not familiar with the arrangement.

The process of repairing mistakes on a track is called punching. It can either overwrite the actual mistake on the original track or be recorded on another track and mixed with the original recorded audio muting the mistake and playing the punch in. Punching in and out can be very precise and be a single note, word or riff and complete phrases, verses or more.

Overdubbing is also common on commercial live recording releases. They are mixed in to replace mistakes and tracks where extraneous noise may mask a performance. Vocals done live are meticulously edited with overdubs and punch ins.

Regarding the ACW in RealBand and Band in a Box, The ACW not only analyzes the chords but also determines the correct Key and creates a tempo map. It is a very useful and powerful tool to work with live recordings.

But, RB also has another method to create a tempo map in which you can manually set the beats or bars that is a fairly simple operation. It's called Click Track and you access it by right clicking on a track and selecting Click Track. The new ACW in Band in a Box is my favorite method and is very accurate and visual. Access it in BIAB by importing the audio file, selecting the Audio Edit and Marker MOde - Audio Chord Wizard.

If you don't already do so, learn to play with a click track. It is a wonderful thing. It does not kill the groove of a song as some will try to tell you and it is a learned skill that anyone can develop. It will make your performance better and your life in music so much easier...

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 11/27/18 07:43 PM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks Charlie, your posts area great! I put a link to this last post of your in my "after jam mix down notes." so I can remember to come back to it at exactly the time I need to read it again.

This is what I didn't know that explains how I got lost regarding Rharv's ACW comments.
Quote:
Regarding the ACW in RealBand and Band in a Box, The ACW not only analyzes the chords but also determines the correct Key and creates a tempo map. It is a very useful and powerful tool to work with live recordings.

Its one of those things where I sense there is something I might be able to use but I can't quite figure it out yet. Others might find what you wrote here useful to of course.

The interesting thing about what I am doing is I don't want my uploads of the jams to sound cloud to be too perfect. It is a "rusty relaxed social jazz Karaoke jams" group and if my recording is too perfect it might scare the rusty members away from coming out (a theory at this point). Our members are for the most part former players who went to school to study music and tried but decided it was not the best place to be financially and have become rusty but do not want to totally give it up so they keep the skill at a rusty level for fun and social purposes. I encourage people in the group to buy BIAB to practice and we use it to fill in when musicians are missing. This is why I love your statement below.

Quote:
If you don't already do so, learn to play with a click track. It is a wonderful thing. It does not kill the groove of a song as some will try to tell you and it is a learned skill that anyone can develop. It will make your performance better and your life in music so much easier...

Ever since age 13 when I started I only play without some sort of a clicker (metronome, recorded rhythm guitar, cakewalk, now BIAB). I only practice without a clicker when I am learning something totally new and am so poor at it I can't maintain speed. So I know the benefits well. For our jams when a drummer comes out which has finally started happening I use something called the BIAB game where I use BIAB to count in our group and turn off the instruments and I see how we kept time relative to BIAB. I am pushing our drummer to use this for himself and his students. It is a lot of fun playing this game. Maybe I will copy your quote and figure out how to get our group members to be more enthusiastic with playing along with BIAB.

So as much as I don't want my playing to be perfect on the jam recordings I put on Soundcloud for the members to listen to I also don't want to let any really bad playing get up there to make the experience a bad one for them. So I made a recent change to my picking technique and it has a short term draw down and some bad notes came out. I did one overdub and a 2nd try at home was much better. I am thinking some of the techniques you mention might make it a bit faster.

So thanks again,
John

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/27/18 08:28 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
K
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
K
Originally Posted By: bowlesj
Thanks Kent. I just went back to realband and double checked my search of both "overdub" and "overdubbing" in the help. I get the little popup "No Topics Found".

Hi John,

You can sometimes find info in the User Guide (not the Help file) that didn't have its own Help topic. Clicking User Guide in the Help menu will bring it up, and you can search using Ctrl+F. smile

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
John,

Maybe this will help with learning how the ACW works quick

http://www.masteringmatters.com/stuff/ACW_Tempo_Map_creation.avi

It is a little rough as I did it on the laptop while on the road (and not feeling well) but it covers the basic steps.
It is from a previous version of RB (back when ACW first came out) but is still pretty much applicable.

I imported an audio track in the example, but you can also use a seq file with same methods.
May be worth the 5 minutes.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music

Hi John,

You can sometimes find info in the User Guide (not the Help file) that didn't have its own Help topic. Clicking User Guide in the Help menu will bring it up, and you can search using Ctrl+F. smile

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

Thanks Kent. I just tried it and it worked. I left myself a reminder in my MS-Access database of currently 2060 reminders :-) That will get me changing my old habits and help out I am sure. I have a lot of BIAB reminders in there but sometimes I come back to my old posts to look stuff up I have forgotten :-) It all helps. John

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Originally Posted By: rharv
John,

Maybe this will help with learning how the ACW works quick

http://www.masteringmatters.com/stuff/ACW_Tempo_Map_creation.avi

It is a little rough as I did it on the laptop while on the road (and not feeling well) but it covers the basic steps.
It is from a previous version of RB (back when ACW first came out) but is still pretty much applicable.

I imported an audio track in the example, but you can also use a seq file with same methods.
May be worth the 5 minutes.

Thanks Rharv. I downloaded it, had a watch then created a link in my MS-access database reminder system to the video so I can always remember I have it and go back to it with a simple left mouse click. I was curious about this process and I saw one earlier today but it was missing some of the things you point out such as tapping and also dividing the tempo in 1/2.

Right now it is not of much use to me as I am mostly a player. However I often have in the back of my head to capture some of the better improvisations I do against jazz standards and use them as building blocks to create brand new songs. My idea is to use triple play midi to get the actual notes. I could use this ACW tool in creating these songs and making them sound better by adding in real tracks. With me as always it is just a matter of finding the time to keep up with my ideas :-) Lately when a jam is coming I end up practicing for it a solid 5 hours a day for 2 to 6 weeks. The pattern is (arpeggios and scales to help me know where to get the notes for the improvising and for technique , then using BIAB to run through the song's melody, chords, solo, comping, melody) for each of 12 to 15 songs. It clearly improves one's playing but is very time consuming. At the same time when I hear a good motif in a solo in my recordings I really should start trying to cut and past them somewhere to start those new songs. Maybe that is what is driving my curiously about this. I sense I might have a use for it. The time to do this is probably as I am mixing down the jam songs to put on sound cloud and now google drive.

Form a PGmusic perspective it is better I just keep increasing my jam group size since I think some may have bought BIAB since I started it.

Lots of fun. Great retirement activity :-)

John

Last edited by bowlesj; 11/28/18 02:53 PM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,630
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234
38,498 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193