Go To
RealBand Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Hi, I am starting to use RealBand once a month it seems. Not only that Realband has become a lot more important because I am now using our jam recordings as filler music between songs during live jams and I want the balance to be pretty good. So I guess it is time to wish upon a star :-) I am using 2016 at the moment.

The first thing is it bombs a lot. I wish it did not. I guess I will start sending in the dump info.

The node feature to adjust volume at various points is great. However it does not send these adjustments to "save as .wav". I did an extreme experiment and it is confirmed. I end up having to run realband and send the signal out to another computer. Not only is this a lot of time and extra work that I gather should not be necessary but it also produces a reduced volume recording. This one has me thinking I might look for a replacement.

The whole selection view button for the track window does not seem to consistently work. It could also have some enhancements to allow more options.
---All but it needs to work always.
---just the area that has sound
---selection which is has now
---view enough to see all the markers
---Grab the bar scale and drag it in to whatever you want.
This could be handy both when expanded to big and you want to reduce the expansion
It would also be handy when viewing whole and you want to reduce the compression.
---maybe by percentages (100% 50% 25% etc whatever)

It aborted once when I tried to put on some reverb so I never tried again.

After I was getting a lot of aborts I started saving my work. So I got an abort that made me decided to go back to my saved work. The saved work still aborted in that spot so it was a waste of time saving the work. So it would be a great idea to have a time stamp save of work (date/time stamp that is). Actually a better idea would be to have it rotate. Here is what I mean. The song name would be at the front of the file and there would be a max number and it would save until that number was reached and after that it would loop back to the beginning. Users would find the most recent by sorting by date/time of the last update. It should auto start sorting that way so the latest one is at the top. Lastly the user should be able to adjust the max number. For my website they have this feature and I have the max number set to 100. I would probably select 10 for RealBand since the file is very large and I do not use it as much.

The markers probably should have a jump to in the list of markers. When jumped to it should be centered in the tracks window.

That is all I can think of. Not a heavy user yet. In a way this makes these concerns more noticeable. Aborting is always the biggest concern. I think that one is the one that makes me think of getting a replacement the most. BIAB rarely bombs. RealBand bombs on about every 3rd or 2nd song I work on. I might ask the jam group for suggestions but the node volume adjust idea is a must for any replacement. Any replacement will immediately get a test to see if it holds it during writes to a .wav file before the trial period is over.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by bowlesj; 04/09/19 03:31 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
https://www.reverbnation.com/johnbowles
RealBand Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
You probably are, but thought I would mention it anyway. Make sure you are running the latest version of RealBand 2016 (Build 10). Not so much in build 10, but a whole lot of fixes occurred in build 9.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks John.

Assuming that "Version 2016 (7)" means build 7, I guess I have to apply some fixes. I guess when I did all the fix downloads it was just BIAB I was upgrading. Either that or maybe it is because I had to replace my disk drive and I never got the fixes after I did that. I will pock around and try to figure out where to get these fixes. I think I took note of a page that has all the release notes. Maybe it is there.

I won't know the result until a few days after April 28th when we have our next jam.

John

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
John - The BIAB and RealBand updates are posted separately. The RealBand updates are less frequent, but like the BIAB updates, they are all-inclusive of the previous updates. So if you are on Build 7 (as indicated), then you are 3 builds behind, and as you can see from the description on the update page, you won't have the following updates if you are still on build 7:

Quote:
Summary of Changes for 2016 Build 10 (Sept 9, 2016)
Added: Improved support for time-based VST plugin features. Synchronization / tempo lock now works for plugins such as JamStix, Addictive Drums, EZ Drummer, and RapidComposer. This allows, for example, plugins like JamStix Virtual Drummer to generate and play drum arrangements in real-time.

Summary of Changes for 2016 Build 9 (Aug 3, 2016)
Added: Support for Xtra Styles. These are 150+ additional RealStyles that use existing RealTracks from a 2016 Ultra/EverythingPAK. More information about Xtra Styles.
Improved: Faster generation of Loops or UserTracks in some cases.
Fixed: Song Title now uses a text edit control that pops up on top of the Song Title field, so that the editing it will work like a normal edit control.
Fixed: Pressing the Chorus Begin button didn't usually update the text of the button.
Fixed: loading in an BB song with an early ending wasn't generating the early ending correctly.
Fixed: TGS files were not loading at all for RB 2016 when loading in a BB song.
Fixed: after getting TGS files to load, drums and piano TGS files were swapped.
Fixed: if a BB track was excluded from a rest, shot, or held chord, and the track were regenerated, the track wasn't excluded.
Fixed: if measure offset wasn't the default, the music may have been offset incorrectly compared to the chords entered in the chords window.
Fixed: some newer styles that realtracks with loops in it would generate every realtrack in the style, when attempting to generate an individual track.
Fixed: regeneration of a loop didn't work.
Fixed: Clicking snap button in Tracks Window visually released the long button.
Fixed: nodes sometimes showing to the left of the overview section in the Tracks Window.
Fixed: track volume, chorus, reverb, modulation not set to default values.
Fixed: track categories not reset to defaults in a new song.
Fixed: Undo of generating a RT didn't always work.
Fixed: recording of mixer moves didn't usually create the corresponding volume nodes.
Fixed: issue of RB freezing when loading demo with DRMNBAS.STY.
Fixed: Importing a WAV file removed all track categories.
Fixed: Selecting "DRMNBAS.STY" in the StylePicker and hitting the Load Song Demo caused RB to crash with an Access Violation.
Fixed: Selecting Note Names: Channel Numbers in Notation Window Options shows numbers on the notes heads, but they don't correspond to MIDI channels at all.
Fixed: Triplets not written to XML file correctly if a triplet began with a rest.
Fixed: Some XML files, saved by certain programs, were getting access violations when loaded into RB.
Fixed: Generated music might be generated in wrong bar locations (out of sync with the chords shown in the bars) if there was a bar offset of zero.
Fixed: Band menu would always show styles that weren't installed on the user's hard drive.
Fixed: Loading in a BB song, such as SGU or MGU, might result in an access violation due to an inconsistency in the type/size of strings stored in the song structure.
Fixed: When entering chords in the chords window, and it scrolls to new row during entering, the screen redraw/entering may not work correctly (current bar may jump to top row and redrawing temporarily messed up).
Fixed: Changing a part marker in a song when the song is scrolled to the 2nd page of the chords window might result in the window jumping back to the beginning of the song.
Fixed: Duration and snap-to settings in the Piano Roll Window weren't always (or usually) sticking, if you closed and reopened the window.
Fixed: Access violation for paste with data filter and ctrl-7.
Fixed: In Chords Window, entering a chord on beat 3 of a 3/4 bar caused the 1st beat of next bar to be erased.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks John. I just applied the patches, checked the build to be sure it is now build 10 which it is and tried the node volume test which still fails. I originally reported that on a separate thread. I will send a link to support with that thread link. It now has a picture to make sure it is clear.

Last edited by bowlesj; 04/09/19 06:02 AM.

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
After I was getting a lot of aborts I started saving my work. So I got an abort that made me decided to go back to my saved work. The saved work still aborted in that spot so it was a waste of time saving the work. So it would be a great idea to have a time stamp save of work (date/time stamp that is). Actually a better idea would be to have it rotate. Here is what I mean. The song name would be at the front of the file and there would be a max number and it would save until that number was reached and after that it would loop back to the beginning. Users would find the most recent by sorting by date/time of the last update. It should auto start sorting that way so the latest one is at the top. Lastly the user should be able to adjust the max number. For my website they have this feature and I have the max number set to 100. I would probably select 10 for RealBand since the file is very large and I do not use it as much.

The markers probably should have a jump to in the list of markers. When jumped to it should be centered in the tracks window.

FWIW when you save a file in RB it does make a backup of the previous version. You can find the location in Options-Prefs.

These backups are time stamped, and can be great for tracking down issues. For exmample;
Maybe you added a new plugin that isn't playing nice with RB now.
You open the previous saved file and it may contain the same plugin.

Open a backup from 2 weks ago and it may not .. this can help find problems as well as get you back to a last known working copy.

Use File-Open Special - Open Backup (may be different in previous versions).
Look for the BKS files (backups) that RB created in the folder specified in the Prefs section mentioned above.
These backups can be well worth investigating.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand Wishlist
B
bowlesj Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
B
Thanks Rharv. I found it and attached an image. My external hard drive is unplugged at the moment. I left myself a note for my next mix down session a month from now.
John

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
New Bitmap Image.png (81.03 KB, 38 downloads)

John Bowles
My playing in my 20s:
RealBand Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
They are normally in the Backup folder in your Realband folder as far as location (from memory).
I think there is a way to change this to your 'Temp Audio Directory' (which is another storage trick available) but I don't recall the details now.

Looks like you should have the last 5 versions, as long as you worked on it fairly recently.
As your image suggests, if you need the 6th or 7th you may be able to find them in your Recycle Bin. That's where the expiring ones get moved according to your settings,
smile

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,588
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193