With the ability to automatically created block/drop voicings, it seems that BiaB is in an ideal position for creating brass arrangements.

One of the limiting factors has been getting good performance from MIDI instruments. Even with the improved set of MIDI instruments, there's a lot of room for improvement.

The addition of RealTracks gives the option for live performance, but has its own set of disadvantages.

PM (Physical Modeling) has shown to be a viable solution for replacing MIDI samples. Brass and woodwinds can efficiently be modeled via waveguide synthesis. But to get good results from PM requires more than simply sending MIDI On/Off instructions. Typically, PM needs to be driven by a physical controller, such as a wind or breath controller.

Using RealTracks, BiaB can capture both the MIDI and breath controller (in the audio track) of the performance.

So instead of a RealTrack being locked to a specific instrument, using PM to reconstruct the performance a user could change instruments and still get a compelling performance with the original nuances.

And because BiaB can automatically create block and drop voicings, full sections could be created, from duets to a block of brass.

I've been mulling this over for some time, but I recently noticed that Wallander Instruments (WI) had created an app for their great-sounding PM instruments, and was selling it for $10.

Their "pro" library is more expensive, but I think that shows they they may have some interest in expanding their market. And like waveguides, the WIVI PM approach isn't resource intensive, which means it should work well on older/slower machines.

I would imagine that a similar approach could be taken for creating string parts. WI also does a good job emulating string sections, but what I've heard of the solo strings is weak.

Going a bit further out of the box, there's no particular reason that the melody note couldn't be altered - something that's problematic when working with audio.

I believe this approach would give BiaB both great-sounding brass parts, and flexibility that currently isn't available in RealTracks.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?