Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#63309 03/03/10 08:18 PM
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Larry's Tune is my latest in my “Leisure Suit Larry” series. Of course this means this is a practice piece for my wind controller, an instrument that I hope to live long enough to learn without having to resort to midi editing!

Anyway this song started out in BiaB using the JAZ_60 style. I brought it into Sonar and reworked everything.

Let me know what you think.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #63310 03/04/10 01:31 PM
Off-Topic
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
You mention a wind controller and I see guitars on your avatar. Could you share how hard it was for you to learn the wind controller? I am a guitarist that is considering one day purchasing one and trying to see if it is as difficult as the saxophone was for me. The biggest problem I had with the sax was the reed squeeks. Do you experience any problems liek that or is it more forgiving?

As for the song, I love the mood and the passing chords you chose. And I enjoyed the guitar fills in between the sax parts. The tone of the guitar is nice and clean that favorably fits the nostalgic feel of the song's genre.

NIce job!

RickeG

RickeG #63311 03/05/10 04:50 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mario,

Am I correct in understanding you played the sax on the wind controller and added guitar too? If so, I'm impressed. I like to hear concrete examples of people using BIAB as a learning tool. I also like to hear songs that are not entirely generated by the software, but which also incorporate tracks played by the person recording the song. (keeps it interesting)

Your song inspires me to dig deeper into BIAB as a learning tool. So far I've mostly used it as an aid to songwriting or a backup band to jam along with. But there are clearly many ways this software can be used to grow as a musician. We are all life-long learners, whether we choose to embrace that idea or not. Heaven forbid that any of us should learn to stop learning... at any age.

Thanks for posting.

RickeG #63312 03/05/10 06:58 AM
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi RickeG, Thanx for the kind words, I appreciate them.

Yes I am a guitarist TRYING to learn the EWI-ISB wind controller.

I used to play trumpet and French horn many years ago. I purchased the EWI-USB because there is a brass fingering mode. However it is a slightly different fingering than a trumpet. Plus there are octave rollers for controlling your octaves. All which take time to learn, time unfortunately I have little of at the moment. I look at the EWI-USB as a totally different instrument that I must learn. Thus all of my songs that contain the wind controller are slow songs, I’m not ready for any kind of speed yet, and I have to do some midi editing to get it to sound better, i.e thank God for that

Now my brother used to play clarinet and he picked it up and was playing in a few minutes. Apparently it is much easier to play if you play a reed instrument so you may be up and running fairly fast. However remember there is a learning curve here, i.e. no valves, pads, reeds etc.

You will get no reed squeaks using this wind controller. Also remember that with any wind controller you not limited to one sound. You use it to sound like any instrument you have in your sound arsenal. For instance if you only use the EWI-USB and the VSC-GM that comes with BiaB you can access any of the 128+ sounds are available.

Have fun - MarioD

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Pat Marr #63313 03/05/10 07:14 AM
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi PatMarr, yes you are correct. I did play the guitar and the sax on a wind controller here. Actually I trying to learn a number of instruments and BiaB is a tremendous help. My process for this one is as follows:

1 - I figured out the chord progression and tempo on my guitar.
2- I inputed the chord progression into BiaB and selected a style (JAZ_60)
3- I brought the Biab midi tracks into Sonar, deleted the midi guitar and added mine
4 – Using the BiaB generated parts as guides I then replaced the bass and keyboard parts using my P-Bass and midi controller keyboard
5 – I replaced the BiaB midi drums with some Groove Monkey midi drum parts
6 – I added the sax part

Note that I did some slight adjustments to the Groove Monkey drum parts and that I had to edit the midi keyboard and sax parts. I am NOT a real keyboard and/or wind controller by any stretch of the imagination. But I’m having fun trying and learning.

Thanx for the kind words.

MarioD #63314 03/05/10 09:27 PM
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Hi Mario,

Enjoyed it very much. Looks like you are being quite successful in your search for new horizons.

Don S.

Curmudgeon #63315 03/06/10 06:54 AM
Off-Topic
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Mario,

Enjoyed it - you made us wait a little bit for that great guitar work of yours - but it was a pleasant trip getting there.

Well done.

The Powderman
Learning something new everyday
Powderman #63316 03/06/10 08:09 AM
Off-Topic
E
Expert
Expert
E
Good tune! Well done and musical to boot....

I am also a trumpet player who struggles with the EWI USB! Yes, the fingering system is not the best. Actually, the EVI was WAY more effecient as a midi controller, Nyle Steiner designed it for Akai, and then when they pulled the plug, he marketed them himself, however his version looks like something a plumber put together, a giant oreo cookie!!!

The biggest issues for me on the EWI are>

Rollers don't work well, almost impossible to play the lowest octave. Some say hand cream works, but doesn't work for me.

You have to really spend a LOT of time on the bite and note sensitivity to get accurate note output.

Many users don't realize you have to have both midi IN & midi OUT checked in Aria player for it to work correctly. This doesn't make any sense, as the EWI doesn't "Output" any sound at all.

The whole "Bite to get Vibrato" concept doesn't work well and was much better on the EVI

Also, I haven't been able to get the EWI to work in BIAB. I get midi input in Reason, Pro Tools, Sibelius, etc. But not BIAB.....still trying to resolve it. Other users are having issues also. If anybody is getting it to work, PLEASE let us know how you are doing it.

Ed

Powderman #63317 03/06/10 02:27 PM
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Don and Powderman, thanx for the very kind comments.

Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Ed, I feel your EWI-USB pain! I did look at this trumpet controller but $2K USD is way out of my price range right now!

Although I do all of my recordings in Sonar I did manage to get the EWI-USB to work in Biab. This is the setup I used:
1-in the MIDI/Audio Drivers setup window I choose the following
a-Midi Input Driver = USB Audio Device – this is the USB port where my EWI-USB is plugged in
b-MIDI Output Driver = SBX-Fi Synth A – my sound card
c—check both Use VST/Sxi Synth and Route Midi Thru MIDI Driver
d-I’m using Cakewalk’s TTS-1 for my GM synth
e- I’m also using MME audio drivers NOT AISO

2-in the BiaB’s main window click on Thru, select your sound and play

Good luck and let me know if this works for you.

Last edited by MarioD; 03/06/10 03:19 PM.
MarioD #63319 03/07/10 07:05 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Nice job on the song, Mario.
You're coming along quite well on the EWI.
The sax sound was much more realistic than many other softsynths I've heard from EWI.
Was that an Aria sax?

Keep up the good work.
Mick

Mick Emery #63320 03/07/10 07:23 AM
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanx Mick for the kind words. I’m still not comfortable with the EWI yet. I want to play without editing or thinking about what I’m doing. That only comes with practice and time.

Yes that is the Aria Tenor Sax-Jazz that was used here.

MarioD #63321 03/07/10 07:59 AM
Off-Topic
E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E
Hi Mario,
Enjoyed your song and thought your playing with EWI good and really loved your guitar.
Jim

enjfb #63322 03/07/10 08:41 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

I haven't heard anyone on the wind-controller forums that could make it that realistic.
Nice job!

Mick Emery #63323 03/07/10 10:03 AM
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Jim, thanx for the very kind words.

Mick Emery #63324 03/07/10 10:07 AM
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

I haven't heard anyone on the wind-controller forums that could make it that realistic.
Nice job!

WOW, thank you very much Mick

I’ve been reading the messages on Patchman’s forum. There are some very talented wind controller players over there aren’t there. I’m nowhere near those guys for sure.

MarioD #63325 03/07/10 02:09 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Mario!
I've left it way to late to reply. Arrrggh!! I can't think of anything original to say. I guess that I'll just have to +1 everything above. It's a great tune and creates a really terrific mood. There's no doubt about it, you're a sensational musician. I'd buy your CD

All the best with the next opus!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #63326 03/07/10 03:49 PM
Off-Topic
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
WOW! Thanx Noel!

I’ll guess I’ll have to make a CD!

MarioD #63327 03/08/10 03:36 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
f a n t a s t i c!
Both sax and axe sound really great.

MarioD #63328 03/08/10 07:59 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Being a guitarist I, naturally, appreciate the guitar part more. Liked the song. Nice and bluesy feel. You always come up with the finest tunes.

Isn't the wind controller capable of vibrato like you can do with a real sax by using your mouth the same way? It would give it a better sound and feel if you could up the vibrato on it.

Man I love those guitar riffs while the controller is playing. Good on ya Mate. Liked it.

Russ
Anyday above ground is a good day

Computer is Hp Pavillion Vision
6 Ghz quad core AMD processor
8 Gig memory
1 TB hard drive
6 GB hard drive
Windows 7 Premium
Loose nut behind the keyboard laugh

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,510
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195