Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPZztrRWjZ8

this is part 1 of 13, available on youtube
It's a documentary of the music industry, where it's been and where its going.

Please watch and comment if you have time.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
So far just watched this part... a bit 'off topic', but what a cool jazz theme 3 mins in!. Makes me wish there was a BIAB style with harmonies like that.. minor 2nds and everything! .. Further reaction later.

Alan

Off-Topic
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
It starts out slow, but gets pretty interesting after the 3rd or 4th part.

Jim
†=☮&♥
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

Great find! This is definitely worth watching.

The first 2 clips are kind of slow, but it gets it’s legs by the third one. Don’t let the 13 clips throw you off. It’s only about an hour.

It harkens back to a comment I made I made on one of your threads a week or two ago about being “true to yourself” as a musician. It depends on whether you’re playing to make money,(which is fine to do), or whether you’re playing what you like and you don’t care what people “want to hear”.

I would rather play what I like, and if anyone wants to listen, they can. No requests please! (Unless of course you already know it’s something I like to play. )

You may not, (probably won’t), make any money with this approach. But you may find a small niche of people who want to hear what you play, instead of what a “focus group” or pop culture says they should listen to.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Interesting. During part 8, one of the interviewees stated that "today's fans are not buying music, they are buying pop-culture."

I had never really thought of it that way, but he is correct.

Off-Topic
A
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
A
This video in available on Hulu for free, with only a few commercials. I found it more convenient to watch, and the resolution looked better also.

Sadly, the message was right on the mark.

When the history of important American musical influences is written, Louis Armstrong and Woody Guthrie will get chapters, while Lady Gaga will have a couple of sentences and a footnote.

Fire, the wheel, and the I IV V -- foundations of civilization.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here is old school combined with one of the new breed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OFMkCeP6ok&feature=topvideos_music

I've drawn my conclusions, but I'll let you judge on your own.

Off-Topic
T
T
Hey guys!

That was quite interesting to watch, thanks for sharing the link here I appreciate it!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I found this interesting on a couple of levels:

1) the OLD paradigm in which music companies and radio stations have a virtual monopoly on who gets air play (and therefore, has a chance at fame and fortune) is what most of the negative comments were about... but its worth noting that the ability of common musicians to record, produce, master advertise and distribute their own music online has bypassed the weasels and put music's destiny back in the hands of the music CREATORS (in large part, thanks to companies like PGMusic who empower the musical masses)

2) The NEW paradigm of "only the beautiful are marketable" actually creates opportunities for people like us, because the beautiful-but-not-talented performers need to buy their songs from people like us.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Aww, ... come on now Pat,

Quote:

put music's destiny back in the hands of the music CREATORS (in large part, thanks to companies like PGMusic who empower the musical masses)

You really don't have to keep that SUCK-UP-O-METER pegged at 100%!!!!!!!

Maybe I should add a few more of these! (It's the "confused" symbol.)

It's like every other post of yours has to be WAY OVER THE TOP praise for PG!

"Put music's destiny back in the hands of the CREATORS???????"

"Empowering the musical masses"???????????????????????????????

There's no PR firm on the planet that would write this stuff!!!

Shucks, I don't think there's a musical version of a snake oil salesman who would makes those kinds of claims! LOL.

In case you missed the point of the clip you posted, it's about PEOPLE playing the music that's in their hearts. Not a computer generated mix! Not something some music "company" says they should play.

Mercy me!

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well Bob, its like this... (true story)

As a younger man I took pleasure in jerking people's chains, withholding praise even when it was due, basically messing with good people who didn't deserve to be messed with. I did it because a lot of other people did it, and at the time it seemed like fun. In short, I was not a pleasant person to be around.

But I noticed one day that nothing good ever happened around me anymore. All the positive people left my side and the only people around me were those who enjoyed the kind of behavioral crap I dished out. All of the remaining people were black holes of negativity, value subtractors, users and losers.

The value adders were somewhere else, surrounded by the positive people who were like them. And being surrounded by value adders, they all flourished like plants that have exactly the right amount of nourishment.

It occurred to me that positivity is something that needs to be fed and watered or it dies on the vine. I imagined a world where all the positive people gave up because of those who consistently withheld the encouragement and praise they had worked for and rightfully deserved. It wasn't a pretty thing to imagine.

So, I made a conscious decision to positively reinforce anyone who seemed to be doing something worthy of praise; and, by default, a conscious decision to resist the temptation to say anything that might discourage, insult, wear down, deflate or subract value in any way.

Yes, you're right... at times it comes across as disingenuous... but all idealism appears disingenuous to those who don't share the ideology.

The difference between what I do and what a snake oil salesman does is that the snake oil salesman profits by cheating people out of their hard earned money and gives them something worthless in exchange.

I don't profit in any way by praising others... in fact I try to avoid cheating them out of the reward they've earned. It is enough to me that people who are doing a good thing don't give up. If I accomplish one thing in this life, I want to die knowing I took every step possible to reward goodness wherever I saw it. And I definitely see goodness coming out of PGMusic. Read the forums, people's lives are literally jump-started by the fun they're having and the musical successes that wouldn't have happened without it.

End of story, its nothing more complicated than that.

Regarding the terminology you find so amusing, I can only say that I have always taken pleasure in the sound of a well-crafted phrase. Words can be powerful in both directions...They can tear down as easily as they can build up.

Knowing that, I use them with surgical precision, not randomly nor disingenuously.

Thanks for asking. It was time to get the lid off that molasses jar.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
allegory:

a man walks up to another man for conversation. As he walks away after the conversation, he finds himself thinking "wow, that man is really interesting and smart"

Later he walks up to a different man for conversation. When he walks away from that one, he finds himself thinking "Wow, I must be interesting and smart"

the difference in the first person's response to each conversation is directly related to the way the other two men directed the flow of ideas. Each man accomplished his intent.

There is a lesson in this story; but depending on which man in the story most resembles the reader, the interpretation tends to be different.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,

Quote:

Thanks for asking. It was time to get the lid off that molasses jar.

Thanks for letting me know what’s going on Pat. I had begun to wonder “what’s happened to my friend Pat and when will the body snatchers release him!”

For me, the comments about PG do come across as “disingenuous”. If I’d never heard of BIAB and I read those comments, I’d think you were someone who was being paid to push the product on the forum, and you were going way overboard in doing so. When you add in the SUCK-UP-O-METER and the BIAB-IS-COOL-O-METER, it just adds to it. For those on the forum, we don’t have to be “sold” on the product, we fell in love with it years ago, in most cases.

FWIW, I’ve never known you to be negative on here. You were always a voice of reason. That’s why I got concerned when I thought your comments appeared to be over the top regarding PG.

Take care my friend.

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Sounds like Pat awoke to the truth and beauty of a situation, if you ask me.

Keep it up, Pat, sometimes takes a thick skin in this age, as I'm sure you've found out on occasion.

Optimism is often mistaken by quite a few as having some sort of sinister lining to it, part and parcel of what passes for education in our era, too, classes purported to be on Critical Thiking these days have nothing to due with Thinking Critically but rather with being critical. Thank you, Alinsky, but no thanks.

And Pat stated the case admkrably well, IMO -- optimism is indeed a discipline -- but those of us who practice the art and science of becoming your own word wouldn't have it any other way.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat, you ought to bottle that attitude and sell it.

Heck, I'd send in a buck or two for a good healthly dose of "Pat's Magic Elixer for Positive Attitude Adjustment". Perhaps a discount to forum members would be appreciated by all.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

FWIW, I’ve never known you to be negative on here. You were always a voice of reason. That’s why I got concerned when I thought your comments appeared to be over the top regarding PG.

regarding the SUCKUP-O-METERs etc, that was an attempt at humor. (weak, true, but an attempt nonetheless)

Most of us don't see ourselves as others see us, so it is news to me that my comments came across as being "over the top", but there may be truth to that observation.

I'm currently butt-deep in alligators on the home front, and it may be that I'm overcompensating in an effort to keep a sane attitude. (Apparently It ain't sane yet if its weird in a whole new direction)

I find that stress is cumulative (much like stacking bricks on a 2x4 stretched between two saw horses). There is a point at which the 2x4 is not capable of holding one more brick, and it will break.

Positive thinking is one of several ways to get bricks off the 2x4 before it fails.

On the other hand, disagreements and arguments pile the bricks on at an alarming rate, and I see no point whatsoever in letting that happen if its possible to avoid. Therefore, I greatly appreciate your gracious response.

There may still be bricks on the 2x4, but it ain't because of anything going on here in the forum! You're a good man, Bob, and I appreciate the value you add to the forum. Please never stop adding that value.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

For me, the comments about PG do come across as “disingenuous”. If I’d never heard of BIAB and I read those comments, I’d think you were someone who was being paid to push the product on the forum, and you were going way overboard in doing so. When you add in the SUCK-UP-O-METER and the BIAB-IS-COOL-O-METER, it just adds to it. For those on the forum, we don’t have to be “sold” on the product, we fell in love with it years ago, in most cases.

I agree that the forum regulars don't need to be sold on the product... but as stated in other threads, I *DO* see the forum as a vehicle for evangelizing the product to visitors who are reading the forum trying to decide whether to buy or not.

I have gotten a lot of enjoyment out of these products. Making positive comments in the forum is a very small expression of my appreciation.

Following up on the previous post, using BIAB and RB to make music is one of the things that takes bricks off my 2x4. To me, that is not a small thing.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Optimism is often mistaken by quite a few as having some sort of sinister lining to it, part and parcel of what passes for education in our era, too, classes purported to be on Critical Thiking these days have nothing to due with Thinking Critically but rather with being critical. Thank you, Alinsky, but no thanks.

--Mac

well stated Mac! 100% agreement

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Pat, you ought to bottle that attitude and sell it.

Heck, I'd send in a buck or two for a good healthly dose of "Pat's Magic Elixer for Positive Attitude Adjustment". Perhaps a discount to forum members would be appreciated by all.

Dan,
thanks for the encouraging words! (feels like I'm "home home on the range")

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Thanks, Pat. I really needed to see your words. Our world is so filled with negativity especially from the news media. My wife and I often comment on it and wonder why it's so rare when something positive (not to mention heartfelt) is every reported. I'm no big fan of the media. At least ABC has some human interest stories via their "Person of the Week" sometimes, but not nearly often enough.

As to PG Music, both it and these forums have literally brought some happiness, not only to Pauline and I, but also to many folks in retirement homes and some hospitals. I don't mind being reminded of this at all.

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,608
Posts735,031
Members38,515
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose, BroDon, Xtian
38,514 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185