Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My trusty plastic egg filled with beans broke recently (something heavy was accidentally laid on it and it cracked into pieces) and I found out that L'eggs no longer makes those things to ship panty hose in. Apparently the cost was a factor as well as the environmental concern as a million of those things hitting a landfill would be impactful.

I got around it last week by putting some beans into an empty dog food can to get through one session but I need to address this without spending a bunch of money after $2030 worth of root canal surgery. So tomorrow I go on a mission to visit toy stores and craft stores to try and find 3 plastic eggs of different sizes so I can have shakers of different pitch.

But that brings me to the request. Does anybody have a good sampled loop of a shaker playing 16th notes with an accent on every downbeat? At any speed. I can manipulate to get it to the tempo I need. I have tambourines but the shaker is a little harder to find. Almost everything has other percussion instruments mixed in with it.

Please PM me if you have what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/26/18 03:41 PM.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I can't help with the samples but if you google/bing empty plastic eggs you will find a lot of them that are very cheap.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yeah tomorrow I hit the dollar stores and the craft stores and see what I can find. The biggest issue is that they sell them in 10 packs. I need 1. Actually I'd love to find 3 in different sizes for different pitches.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
As you well know you will get different sounds by using different components. You use beans but you also might want to try, in a different egg of course, things like salt, small pieces of plastic, etc.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: MarioD
As you well know you will get different sounds by using different components. You use beans but you also might want to try, in a different egg of course, things like salt, small pieces of plastic, etc.

Mario beat me to it, but I was going to say that if you can't get different pitches by using different sized eggs, the size of the particles inside might yield a difference in pitch.

Rice should sound higher pitched than beans, which should be higher pitched than gravel.

Or not. I don't have a plastic egg to test this theory. ;-)

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is going to be the fun part is testing different egg sizes and types of materials. I have a bag of small smooth pea gravel, I have dried veggies, I will try rice, rock salt (For your Southern people, rock salt is a material used to melt ice. Ice is something we have in the north when we have cold weather. Cold up here means single digits, sometimes below zero. Not 47!! Though as weather patterns change you now get ice and snow some too.) and beach sand.

Also for you Southerners, I am happy to announce that this is likely my LAST winter ever, as the plan is to be in the southwest by about October of this year. Writing songs in my mobile studio!

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/27/18 06:22 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
For your Southern people, rock salt is a material used to melt ice. Ice is something we have in the north when we have cold weather.

I got the impression that this year, many of the folk down south knew exactly what ice consisted of shocked

Anyway, for under $5 a pair, those LP Rhythmix Egg Shakers mentioned from Bob's link are probably cheaper than the panty hose job.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
for the record, S'uthnahs know about rock salt... we use it to:

1) make ice cream and

2) to load shotgun shells for trespassers and boys who want to date our daughters.

;-)

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
S'uthnahs who migrated to the south know it better than others!

I ended up going to Sweetwater and they had them 2 for 4 bucks with free shipping so I got them. I am STILL going to experiment with an egg so I can mute one side of the egg with a piece of sponge or foam. For beats other than 16th notes.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Eddie,

Look in the subdirectory: x:\bb\RealTracks\Loops\Percussion Loops where x = your BiaB location.

Here's a web link for shaker loops: +++ Sound.com +++

Here is another web link: +++ FreeSound.Org +++

Happy recording!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Jim. No idea those were there. About 8 years into this software and I never knew.

Edit: But now that I DO know.... that's like being allowed to carry an extra club in the golf bag!

Last edited by eddie1261; 01/27/18 01:29 PM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah you can go in real band. Under generate a loop and type in shakers and a bunch of stuff pops up.

Off-Topic
K
Journeyman
Journeyman
K
Just a wild thought here, but I wonder what it would sound like with BBs, either standard or those made of hardened plastic.

Jeaux........

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A (sadly) funny thing is that I am still so myopic with Real Band that after all these years of "generating", until today I have NEVER noticed "generate loops". I don't like virtual instruments so I rarely use MIDI tracks, thus I never generate them and THAT part of the generate menu was invisible to me.

If I can ever figure out how to create vocal harmonies I'll be golden. I see the menu option but I have no idea what that function works against to know what to harmonize to. I assume it has to be a MIDI track. Do I have to play in the vocal line as MIDI events to use it?

No idea! This comes under that heading of "I just don't spend the time on music anymore."

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
The one that just broke and caused all this had very smooth, small pea gravel in it. I don't even know what store bought, factory mass produced shaking devices have it them. I always assumed plastic beads of some kind. The one I made form a plastic heart (Valentine Candy) now has lentils in it and sounds okay. But now that I have been made aware of the percussion loops available in Real Band, this pretty much becomes moot.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199