Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#456698 02/09/18 04:02 PM
Off-Topic
raymb1 Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Lots of music here. Haven't tried any of the BIAB files, just downloaded some of sheet music.

http://bob.bmcadvies.com/

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
raymb1 #456939 02/11/18 04:54 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I just looked at this and noticed that some of the sheet music was scanned from music books. I doubt very much that this is a legal site so proceed knowing this and that you may be opening yourself up to a lawsuit.

Last edited by MarioD; 02/11/18 05:02 AM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
raymb1 #456988 02/11/18 08:32 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nobody's suing anybody Mario. No doubt most of this stuff is illegal to post but the worst that happens is the owner of the website gets a cease and desist letter threatening a suit if they don't take down the material.

But from the pov of a company like PGM, it's a different story. That's why the forum rules say you can't post links to copywritten material. The exception is if you post a YouTube link. Apparently being on YT provides some kind of legal cover.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
jazzmammal #456999 02/11/18 08:57 AM
Off-Topic
w Offline
Expert
Expert
That web site has been up for a long time and i use it for the ready made Band in a Box songs ( most of them have melodies and complete registrations ) and also use the " midi " page.

I don't know or fully understand the legal implications for doing that however there appears to be some latitude when it comes to using any stuff off the internet for personal use only meaning that i will not sell it or profit from a sale from someone's intellectual property.

It seems to me that if they started suing everyone and shutting down web sites that could be the end of the world wide web.

Although, who knows, the copyright cops may be at my door soon after reading this post.

Mac Audiophile 2020 2019 2018 2017 USB plus previous years versions

macOS Mojave - 10.14.6 @ Aug 16, 2019

iMac i3 3.6 GHz 8GB RAM 4K with Retina display

some examples @ sound cloud done with Mac Band and DAW's : https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
raymb1 #457013 02/11/18 09:59 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Just keep in mind that there are music professionals making their living composing and publishing music. If that were your job, you might feel differently about sites like these.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
jazzmammal #457038 02/11/18 11:19 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Nobody's suing anybody Mario. No doubt most of this stuff is illegal to post but the worst that happens is the owner of the website gets a cease and desist letter threatening a suit if they don't take down the material.

But from the pov of a company like PGM, it's a different story. That's why the forum rules say you can't post links to copywritten material. The exception is if you post a YouTube link. Apparently being on YT provides some kind of legal cover.

Bob

This is exactly what I was trying to say. I was doing music for a 50's site and she got a cease and desist order threatening a lawsuit. You said it much better than I did. Thanx for straightening this out.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Matt Finley #457039 02/11/18 11:21 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Just keep in mind that there are music professionals making their living composing and publishing music. If that were your job, you might feel differently about sites like these.

Matt I agree 100%.

w #457050 02/11/18 11:51 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Your integrity, or lack thereof, is defined by what you do when no one is watching: just because it's been up for a long time - doesn't make it right, legal, or ethical.

Larry

raymb1 #457053 02/11/18 11:58 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In BIAB you have that thing called the chord Wizard I have never had a need to use. If you use that, and then print out the chord chart, I wonder how close to toes on that line PG is for selling software that allows chord charts to be printed from copyrighted music?

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
raymb1 #457064 02/11/18 12:36 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Depends on the genre, in my experience.

To get deeper, I would have to go back into your other thread, about how much music theory do you need.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
eddie1261 #457076 02/11/18 01:41 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I wonder how close to toes on that line PG is for selling software that allows chord charts to be printed from copyrighted music?

Since Chord Progressions aren’t something you can Copyright, the answer is not close at all. If you published a book of Chord Charts and named specific songs, you might be infringing on the title, but I’ve seen people get around that by using a different name that hinted at the song that the chord chart was for. For example, “Strolling in a Snowy Wonderland”, hints at a title.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
KeithS #457078 02/11/18 02:18 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: KeithS
Originally Posted By: eddie1261
I wonder how close to toes on that line PG is for selling software that allows chord charts to be printed from copyrighted music?

Since Chord Progressions aren’t something you can Copyright, the answer is not close at all. If you published a book of Chord Charts and named specific songs, you might be infringing on the title, but I’ve seen people get around that by using a different name that hinted at the song that the chord chart was for. For example, “Strolling in a Snowy Wonderland”, hints at a title.

Now that does include an extra dimension into the whole copyright thing.

In other words share the chords but don't mention the song that they are for.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile
raymb1 #457084 02/11/18 02:51 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Many of the demo songs shipped with BIAB are in fact chord progressions of popular songs with no melody and a different name. They also have no harmony and especially no 'hook' in terms of an identifiable rhythm pattern or hit.

I remember at one point, someone was going to go through the demos and identify the real names of many of them. I don't recall that ever happened.

Matt Finley #457097 02/11/18 04:40 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Many of the demo songs shipped with BIAB are in fact chord progressions of popular songs with no melody and a different name. They also have no harmony and especially no 'hook' in terms of an identifiable rhythm pattern or hit.

I remember at one point, someone was going to go through the demos and identify the real names of many of them. I don't recall that ever happened.

Hey Matt,

Maybe whoever that was could save a lot of time by hiring the Shazam music interface to listen and identify the songs. smile

Short aside, how many people remember the television game show "Name That Tune"? Did you know The Tokens, of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" fame, were the studio band for the game show?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
raymb1 #457104 02/11/18 05:42 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I tried Shazam on BIAB when it first came out, and it wasn’t successful. Without melody or hooks, I can’t imagine it would work now.

Name that tune was fun.

Matt Finley #457114 02/11/18 10:16 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
How does this work for tunes (covers or similar) one does in BIAB and uses in public as backing. I often worry about the legality of this. However, rarely gave it a thought when playing with live musos.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
raymb1 #457137 02/12/18 02:57 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The laws are likely to differ by country.

In the USA, if performers do cover songs, the venue is responsible for obtaining the proper licensing from performance rights organizations (BMI, ASCAP, SESAC).

raymb1 #457187 02/12/18 11:38 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Every time the subject of copyright comes up it requires clarification. If you have questions about it just Google "music copyright". There are specific musicians websites that explains this in detail. Short version:

By far the NUMBER ONE THING: It doesn't matter if you're doing this for profit or not. Money has nothing to do with it. YOU CANNOT publish any musical work you do not own without permission of the rights holder. Publishing includes posting on the internet to a forum like this one. Posting includes inserting a link that goes somewhere else that has the actual music. A musical work is lyrics and melodies. Chords are ok.

Song titles. They cannot be copywritten, there are many songs with the same title. BUT it appears associating a song title with the chords crosses the line which is why PG doesn't give us the song titles to the chords of certain demo songs. I haven't specifically read that anywhere so PG is probably just being cautious.

I'm not an attorney, I don't play one on TV and I like beer with TJ's Peach Salsa and chips so what I just wrote could be total BS. If you're concerned about it, research it yourself.

Have a nice day.

EDIT: This website has apparently been up for years. Great. Think of the driving 90 miles an hour on the freeway example. You can drive 90 miles an hour all over Los Angeles for years and never get a ticket. Spend one day on the freeways around here and you'll see this goes on all the time. Does that make it legal? If a majority of people are willingly breaking the law does that mean it's a protest so the law should be changed? Maybe. Can you still get busted? Of course. YMMV.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 02/12/18 12:08 PM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Matt Finley #457195 02/12/18 01:05 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Yes it did (7, 8, 9 years ago?) and I participated with 4 or 5 but other folks were faster than I was and Mac got most of them. When it was done we had over 100 identified demo songs or close to it. At that time I think they were all jazz. One that comes to mind is the Herbie midi style. It's based on the Canteloupe Island piano lick. That reminds me it's not just demo songs it's styles too. Since then there have been many demos/styles in other genre's. I'll bet there's lots of familiar songs hiding under different names there too.

Time for another go?

Bob

jazzmammal #457212 02/12/18 03:31 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal

Song titles. They cannot be copywritten, there are many songs with the same title. BUT it appears associating a song title with the chords crosses the line which is why PG doesn't give us the song titles to the chords of certain demo songs. I haven't specifically read that anywhere so PG is probably just being cautious.

Bob

The are lots of examples out there besides PG Music of companies using alternative names to somewhat obscure the real,source material for chord progressions and playing style. I think the first place I saw this was on an arranger keyboard that my brother used to own. I remember sitting at the keyboard one afternoon trying to name the songs and getting a good laugh at the gyrations that they would go through to name the song without actually naming it.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,594
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193