Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I have released eight original songs/instrumentals which all include at least one BIAB Realtrack. They all have Realdrums and some also include bass, guitar and keyboard Realtracks. However, I provide all the vocals and usually perform a high percentage of the instrumentation myself.

I use LANDR to master and release my tracks, and they review each track and decide whether to approve it for YouTube/Facebook monetization or not. I do not yet actually qualify for monetization on YouTube as I haven't had enough video plays, but it appears that there could be a problem getting a YouTube music video monetized in future if it included BIAB Realtracks.

I recently sent LANDR an email querying why they had approved two of the eight tracks for monetization, but not the other six. There seemed to be an inconsistency as all included Realtracks.
I received a reply from them advising anything that falls into Youtube's "Not Sufficiently Distinct" category will be considered ineligible for monetization.
They suggested that it was because some of the keyboard tracks were from a DAW, which is why they would not have been approved (ie. the two that had been approved did not include piano REALTRACKS, although they did use some other REALTRACKS and both used REALDRUMS !).

Apparently, the video is likely to be considered as "not sufficiently distinct" if it includes:
Generic sounds (rain sounds, sound effects, etc.)
Samples or loops licensed by 3rd parties, i.e. GarageBand, Logic Pro, Ableton, Native Instruments, FL Studio etc.
Royalty free sample packs​
Karaoke instrumental versions of songs
Re-masters and sound-a-like songs
Leased instrumentals.

LANDR have agreed to override the decisions regarding monetization, but they warned that this would not guarantee monetization on YouTube if I was to upload a video that included these audio tracks).
For the reason mentioned previously, I don't qualify for YouTube monetization anyway, but I'm surprised and impressed that reviewers are able to detect BIAB REALTRACKS within a recording, and surprised that YouTube would regard an original piece of music as "not sufficiently distinct" just because it includes REALTRACKS).

As a multi-instrumentalist, it seems that I'd better re-record the piano parts myself if I want to use my music in a monetised YouTube video.

Last edited by Andyman; 07/05/19 03:22 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Is the reason specifically because it includes real tracks.... and if so, how would they know? Or is it because the song sounds similar to something else that a commercial release or to the other songs you are submitting for monetization.

I've had music used commercially and received royalty checks for it. The music used included or was 100% real tracks and this topic NEVER came up.

Real tracks are so good that the ones I have in some of my music has fooled professional musicians who play "that" instrument. I've had them ask who I hired to play certain parts so I really don't see how Landr can tell. I think there's something else going on.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:
They suggested that it was because some of the keyboard tracks were from a DAW, which is why they would not have been approved (ie. the two that had been approved did not include piano REALTRACKS, although they did use some other REALTRACKS and both used REALDRUMS !).

So exactly what type of keyboard sounds did the unapproved pieces use?
That's an important piece of information regarding their response that is missing.
If the rejected ones used piano RTs, did they all use the same one (same style/sound)?

Obviously other RTs and RDs went through just fine ..

Quote:
but I'm surprised and impressed that reviewers are able to detect BIAB REALTRACKS within a recording, and surprised that YouTube would regard an original piece of music as "not sufficiently distinct" just because it includes REALTRACKS

I doubt that's true because as you mentioned some approved ones also contained RTs and RDs. You may have jumped to a wrong conclusion there.

We are in process of making a CD. The drummer refused to play on one song, due to personal beliefs .. we used RDs instead. Even he himself admitted how well they worked. Like Herb mentioned; if musicians can't tell on their own instrument parts I highly doubt reviewers could tell unless some other tell tale clue exists, like copy/pasting same keyboard section repeatedly.

Last edited by rharv; 07/05/19 04:50 AM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well your guess is as good as mine, Guitarhacker.

When I asked for a specific reason why two of my tracks were approved for monetization and six were not, this is the exact reply I received from LANDR's Rescue Squad:

"To me, it sounds like the tracks that used a keyboard were being questioned as something that you may have used from a DAW, which is why some of your tracks were approved and others weren't.
I've gone ahead and overridden the decisions regarding monetization and have made your tracks eligible.
Keep in mind though, that this won't guarantee monetization on Youtube! They are the ones who will make the ultimate decision".

Make from that what you will.
If you want to check out the eight songs to see if you can identify what the reason could be, they are all streaming on Spotify.
The two that were approved were 'I Want You' and 'Light in The Dark'.

Off-Topic
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi rharv:

I entirely agree with you that LANDRs response to my request for precise information was quite vague and contradictory, and I've replied asking for more details.

The six songs that were rejected included the following styles and keyboard RT's:
BARGPFX.STY. 686:Organ,B3,Background Pop Ev120
PFPBTMW.STY.1701:Piano,RhythmCountryWaltz Sw110
ALLURE.STY. 904:Piano,Electric,RhythmSmoothCool Sw16 075
MANPMGA.STY.1839:Piano,Acoustic,RhythmPopModernGrooveA-B
FOLKROK.STY 1767:Piano,AcousticRhythmPop16 Ev16 085
The sixth contained no keyboard RT's at all.

Incidentally, one of the two approved songs also used a keyboard RT.
'I Want You' used BALBMS1.STY. 688:Organ,B3,Background Pop Ev 065
The other approved song contained no keyboard RT's.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Andyman

If you want to check out the eight songs to see if you can identify what the reason could be, they are all streaming on Spotify.
The two that were approved were 'I Want You' and 'Light in The Dark'.

I would recommend that you post at least two of them here. One that was approved and one that wasn't. Indicate which is which. Then it's easier to listen and give our thoughts. I don't like chasing all over the internet to try to find something.

Edit: I have had some of my music rejected by various individuals and organizations for various reasons. Mostly it had to do with the overall quality of the recording itself or in several of the rejections the comment was that the music sounded too fake and too midi or synthy.... and this was in reference to piano parts. They asked me to record the parts again with a "real piano" vs using something obviously midi/synth.

They don't have issues generally with quality sampled synths or midi unless you can listen and tell immediately that it's not real. A dead giveaway is the sound quality of the instrument just doesn't sound real as in using a cheap general midi piano voice.... or.... the velocity is all the same. In other words, there no touch sensitivity in the playing and no dynamics like a live player would incorporate into their playing. And obviously, everything is dead on the beat. Oh the humanity....!!!! or...lack thereof.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 07/05/19 07:29 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Sorry to hear about your difficulty getting some of your music accepted in the past, Guitarhacker. Personally I've not experienced that problem, but that is only because I make the decision whether to release my music for downloading or not.

Let me just clarify that in my case, there is no problem with the overall sound quality of my recordings. They have all been professionally mastered and released through LANDR to all the major online retailers. I earn the majority of my income from song downloads and have no plans to try and make money from streaming YouTube videos, so it hardly matters to me if my songs are approved for YouTube monetization or not.

The reason for this thread is to make BIAB users aware of a possible difficulty in getting a YouTube video monetized if they use audio that includes BIAB Realtracks.
LANDR approved two of my songs for YouTube monetization, and have now approved the other six after I questioned why they were rejected.
Even though it doesn't really matter to me, I was curious to know the reason why six were rejected, and I will update this thread if/when I receive a precise answer from them.
So far, I've only been told by a member of their Rescue team that it has something to do with keyboard sounds that I may have used from a DAW, but apart from the instruments that I have played myself, the only other sounds I used were the Realdrums and Realtracks from BIAB.

By all means, have a listen to the Realtrack keyboard instruments on any of the following tracks and see if you can identify why YouTube monetization was initially approved or rejected:

Approved: https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/i-want-you (Organ)
https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/light-in-the-dark (None)

Rejected: https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/shes-no-angel (Organ?)
https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/stay-till-the-end-of-my-dream (Piano?)
https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/landr-i-will-be-your-guide-high-balanced (Piano?)
https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/running-in-circles (Piano?)
https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/ill-never-let-you-go (Piano?)
https://soundcloud.com/andyshearer-1/andy-shearer-everything-you-are (None)

Last edited by Andyman; 07/05/19 11:52 AM.
Off-Topic
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I'VE JUST RECEIVED ANOTHER EMAIL REPLY FROM LANDR AS FOLLOWS:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Andy!

In the event where you're using a sample drum track, it would unfortunately fall under the "Not sufficiently distinct" category.

Sometimes it can be really difficult for us to tell when live drums are being used versus sampled drums. It's possible that some of your tracks were mistakenly approved, which would explain why you have some tracks that are approved and others that haven't been.

If you are using brass samples that are played through your guitar, this would also constitute as "Not sufficiently distinct."

Sorry if all of this is confusing!

Ultimately though, Youtube are the ones who decide which tracks will be eligible or not! You can read specifically about it at https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2018/01/additional-changes-to-youtube-partner.html

I hope this helps answer some of your questions,

Craig
LANDR Rescue Squad

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO THERE YOU HAVE IT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH. LANDR ARE NOW SAYING THAT TWO OF MY SONGS WERE APPROVED FOR YOUTUBE MONETIZATION IN ERROR, AND THAT VIDEOS WHICH INCLUDE MUSIC IDENTIFIED AS CONTAINING BIAB REALTRACKS, IS AKIN TO USING SAMPLED INSTRUMENTS, AND UNFORTUNATELY FALLS UNDER THE "INSUFFICIENTLY DISTINCT" CATEGORY.
SORRY TO BE THE BRINGER OF BAD NEWS FOLKS, BUT I SUPPOSE THAT AT LEAST IT'S USEFUL TO BE AWARE OF THIS WHEN CREATING YOUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS.

Last edited by Andyman; 07/05/19 01:01 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I still don’t get it. There are millions of songs, many charting, that use loops, etc. We have a song preferred artist contract with Crucial Music that was gained via an all BiaB production. We had to sign a mile long contract and non disclosure agreement and at no time were we asked the source of the tracks. Additionally we have 20+ BiaB songs licensed to Mood Media with no questions asked. Not trying to toot our horn...just perplexed.

Bud

Off-Topic
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I don't really get it either Bud, but I guess the only way to find out if YouTube will monetize an uploaded video that includes music containing Realtracks, is for someone to test it out.
From what Craig has said, it would appear that you'll only be successful if YouTube fail to detect that the music contains Realtracks, or any of other things that he mentioned (as LANDR did when they approved two of my song releases for YouTube monetization).

I've previously released three audio CD's on Amazon that included BIAB Realtracks, loops, samples and sound effects. I've also had lots of my music played on BBC radio and internet radio stations without any problem regarding the music content. There's nothing stopping me from selling music downloads either, so it's no hardship having to live without YouTube monetization.

It's unlikely that I'll ever achieve 4,000 hours of watchtime and 1,000 subscribers within a 12 month period anyway, which is required to become eligible for YouTube monetization.

Last edited by Andyman; 07/05/19 04:07 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Very strange! I would be interested in learning what technology LANDR is using to determine that your tracks are not 100% live.

I'll bet if you had released your music using CDBaby you would not have had that problem. I've released a few using CDBaby including two just recently (late 2017 and early 2019) and have never had that problem with them or feedback after the fact saying that our music was rejected by Youtube.

Off-Topic
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Is your music included in YouTube videos that are currently monetized though, Dave ?
And do those videos contain music that uses BIAB Realtracks ?

That is the subject of this thread.
It's got nothing to do with releasing your music for sale on CDBaby, and I wouldn't foresee any problems in doing that.
In fact, I've previously released three audio CD's via Songcast for sale on Amazon without experiencing any problem.
I currently get all of my music mastered and released through LANDR for streaming and download on Spotify, Deezer, GooglePlay, AppleMusic, etc, and I've not had anything rejected for any reason. Neither do I have any problem selling my music for download on Bandcamp.

Just to clarify once again.
All that LANDR are saying, is that they review each release to decide whether to approve it for YouTube monetization. As Craig clarified in his email, it is YouTube themselves who ultimately decide whether to approve or reject videos for monetization on their platform, and you wouldn't even qualify for monetization unless your YouTube channel achieves 4,000 hours of watchtime and 1,000 subscribers within a 12 month period, but if BIAB Realtracks are detected in the music, the video is unlikely to be approved for monetization because it would be deemed as 'not sufficiently distinct".
I have no idea what technology YouTube use to detect BIAB Realtracks, but LANDR managed to detect that I had used them in six of my last eight releases.

I would be interested (and pleased) to hear if anyone has recently managed to get a YouTube video approved for monetization which contains BIAB Realtracks, or maybe a member of staff for PG Music may like to comment ?

Last edited by Andyman; 07/06/19 03:58 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Andy,

Yes, I understand the subject of the thread.

All of my music is a combination of live instruments and realtracks.

In addition to the money I have made from downloads and streams, I have also received money from CDBaby for "SYNC LICENSING ROYALTIES" which AFAIK is from music I have done being used on a youtube video that has received enough plays to qualify. $6.34 to be exact, I just checked my account over there wink

EDIT: Ok, just found a description of Sync Licensing Royalties over on CDBaby:

"Sync Licensing Royalties refers to the use of music in movies, television shows, advertisements, video games, presentations, YouTube videos"

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 07/06/19 04:16 AM. Reason: more info
Off-Topic
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Well that is good to hear, Dave.

The fact that you have earned money from plays of a recent YouTube video, gives me hope that the inclusion of Realtracks doesn't automatically result in a video being rejected for monetization due to the music being 'insufficiently distinct'.

I don't believe that it's quite as straightforward and clear cut as Craig from LANDR explained in his email response to my query.
It seems to me that rejecting a track for monetization doesn't just depend on detecting Realtracks, sampled instruments, etc, but it is more likely if their inclusion makes the music sound "insufficiently distinct".
Also, the fact that Craig admitted that two of my tracks were approved in error, would indicate that the decision is a subjective one and therefore depends on the opinion of the individual reviewing the music.

Having said that, and regardless of whether I ever want to try and earn money from YouTube videos or not, I definitely want my music to sound as distinct as possible, so I'm going to make a concerted effort to rely less on Realtracks and I'm going to aim to perform as much of the instrumentation as possible myself in future (as I used to do up until two years ago).

I'll still continue to use BIAB as a songwriting tool though.

Last edited by Andyman; 07/06/19 05:30 AM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Andy
I would work on getting your own YouTube channel monetized. It is not difficult and you will reap the benefits for years to come.

Regards
Joanne

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
Off-Topic
C
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
C
<<< regardless of whether I ever want to try and earn money from YouTube videos or not, I definitely want my music to sound as distinct as possible, so I'm going to make a concerted effort to rely less on Realtracks >>>

Hi Andy. You certainly don't have to ditch the RealTracks to get a more unique and distinct sound with your songwriting and using BIAB as your 'recording studio'. The key is to focus on your actual strengths and not stretch yourself too far into areas you may not be as competent in. If you browse through the Forums you'll see the majority of 'songs' normally get lost in discussions of DAW's, mixing, effects, VST's, and other production techniques. Unless one is equally versed in the working knowledge of a DAW, mixing, applying effects and mastering as folks such as Graham Cochran, Joe Gilder, Warren Huart, Dave Pensado your productions are not going to - well, you know how your productions will stack up against these guys. You can get there but you will spend lots of time and money and all the while, your songs and songwriting suffer.

Using RT's is not the issue anymore, it's how they're created and used. There are thousands of RT's and hours of recorded audio that have overcome how several years ago it was so easy to identify RT riffs and phrases in a song. I'm pretty much a minority of one on this subject and honestly most times when a forum poster is having an issue, my easy solution is either completely ignored and a response of success or failure is never posted or a reply is posted that they prefer to find a more complex and difficult technique in their DAW. That's ok. I'm not attempting to change your or anybody's mind or sway you or anybody's away from your workflow. I'm just telling you a different way you may want to consider.

In my opinion BIAB can be broken into two distinctly different programs with each benefiting approaching different aspects of music production. BIAB is extremely effective in either area of music production. The two areas are music accompaniment and the other is creating custom audio tracks for studio recording productions. Both can effectively work together for songwriters writing and producing their own original pieces.

Using BIAB Styles, RT's and MIDI, is a great tool to flesh out ideas, find the groove for your song and overcome writer's block. MIDI files is your friend in this situation. Here's why. There are about 7,000 total BIAB Styles. There are literally hundreds of thousands of MIDI Styles. More importantly, roughly 5,000 of the BIAB Styles are RealStyles and 2,500 or so are MIDI. RealStyles are combinations of Real instruments (recorded audio files) that PG Music staff have reviewed, tested and found they work well together. There is no particular groove built into a Style, meaning that any instrument, in any style will gather audio snippets from a set amount of recorded audio. Whereas with MIDI, everything is editable and in most cases, contains the groove and elements of a specific Song or genre. You will find that a Jazz electric guitar RT solo may work exceedingly well in a country song because it is recorded audio that is never changing and may be suitable for many different genres than just the genre PG Music identifies it to. If you're writing a song in the 'Style' of the Bee Gees, starting off with a Bee Gee song MIDI file goes a long way to getting you started on the right path. Then using the BIAB StylePicker over your song's chord progression allows you to quickly and efficiently audition dozens of Styles and hundreds of RT instruments in minutes.

You can write your song, enter the chord chart, set the tempo, key signature and structure your intro, verses, chorus's, bridge and outro, choose a Style, generate your song and be done with it. But what you've completed at this point is an accompaniment backing track. For a studio recording production, this should be your starting point.

This phase of your songwriting is where DAW's, mixing, effects, VST's adding EQ, Compression, bussing and such begins. It's where the fun really starts but in reality, it's also where most songs start to fall by the wayside and where the artist begins work in an area of weakness, inexperience and ineptness. If you were to think of unlimited tracks, unlimited MIDI instruments, unlimited VST's, unlimited plug ins for what they really are until you are well versed in the knowledge and applications of them, you'll realize they are unlimited rabbit trails for you to lose your way ... Expect to spend hours, if not days in this phase of your production.

What I do, what I recommend and what nearly no one does is to use BIAB as an multi track emulated recorder or use a stand alone multi track recorder or better, combining the two.

You can learn to operate a multi track competently in less than a day. It will do every basic operation required to record, edit, apply effects, mix and produce a high quality recording. Many commercial releases have been successfully produced with these devices and are still being produced today. A famous example is Bruce Springsteen's Nebraska album was done completely with a Tascam Portastudio that even the cheapest model today exceeds the specs of the unit he used to record on. Importantly, the tracks you record can be easily exported to a computer for more work using a DAW or sent to another studio for mixing or mastering. If you have an expensive, high quality pre amp or the equivalent in a quality audio interface, you can use those pre amps to record into even the cheapest multi track and achieve stunning results. I've had a Presonus Eureka single output channel strip that originally cost nearly $1,000 to record into a Tascam 2488 neo Mark II, Zoom R16 and later a Tascam DP-24. At the time, the Eureka pre amp matched the best pre amp for all the Presonus Studio Live mixers. Thousands of commercial studios were installing and using Studio Live mixers during that period. Today, you can buy a Presonus Studio Channel for $329 and a Tascam DP006 for $129 and for less than $500 match the recording track quality of a DAW and interface costing thousands more plus no latency, crashes, or an expensive computer is necessary. Actually, the pre amp of the DP-006 is good enough to use without an additional pre amp if you have a quality microphone.

What I'm saying is that 60 hours spent learning a DAW will improve your DAW skills and 60 hours spent songwriting will equally improve your songwriting skills. People judge if they like your song solely by what they hear. They never know how your song was recorded and mixed. What mic you used or the gear you used is irrelevant. It's also irrelevant whether you recorded live tracks or created custom tracks from BIAB RT's.

There are three situations you should consider BIAB to create your tracks.

1. If you can't play an instrument you want to include in your song.

2. If you can play an instrument you want to include in your song but a BIAB session player can give you a better performance.

3. If you can play an instrument expertly you want to include in your song but it's inconvenient to do so, even if you plan to overdub it at a later time.

Band-in-a-Box has a lot of features to take advantage of letting professionally designed presets handle a lot of the workload. Each track can have up to 10 instrument changes so a single song can contain up to 70 instruments. This can be separate instruments or a fewer number instruments but placed in multiple places throughout the song.

Band-in-a-Box can also use its single audio track to record multiple times by converting the audio tracks to Performance Tracks giving the capability to move them to other BIAB mixer tracks and freeing up the Audio Track for another recording. The multi track feature of bouncing tracks provides nearly an unlimited amount of tracks without having to move your project to a DAW. These two features combine to allow 70 or more instruments onto dozens of tracks. Band-in-a-Box will also automatically do crossfades between the instruments changing out. Using Band-in-a-Box Bar Settings allows for Style Changes, RT and MIDI instrument changes, Volume automation, panning, tempo and key changes.

In a song about a year ago, I did a complete project in this manner just using BIAB tracks and taking advantage of the multi riff feature in RealBand. Multi riff creates 7 individual and different variations of a selected area of a BIAB generated RealTrack. On this song, I broke the soloist guitar into 18 sections. Doing it this way, provided me with 126 (18 X 7) separate punch-ins for fills and solo work. As far as I'm aware, such a track can only be duplicated in another DAW using a live session player.

Here is a link to my song: "SAY I DO "

There are many options that allow one to focus on songwriting and creating a completely unique and statistically astronomically unduplicable tracks for a song without the cost, learning curve, equipment and additional software to arrange, perform and produce a commercially viable audio.

Last edited by Charlie Fogle; 07/08/19 08:49 AM.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Andy, I just listened to all of your links, nice stuff man.

Here's my take on this and it ONLY concerns what Craig is telling you. Your tracks are very generic, There's no variations, no fills, no little licks, no differentiation between a verse and a chorus. Charlie is right on. You need to cut/paste parts from a whole bunch of different tracks and use the multiriff function. I'm a B3 player and pianist so I focused on those in your songs. A real B3 player would never play like that. Your track has the organ playing the exact same two chords using the same voicing all the way through. Nobody but a total amateur does that. That's why Craig said it sounds like a sampled loop or it's from a DAW. Same thing, when someone says it sounds like a DAW he means it was done in your bedroom using loops and samples.

If you were to hire a good player there would be some creativity going on, some variation, that's why an artist who's in a real studio hires somebody. It's not to just play the same boring chords for five minutes you hire somebody to put their personal soul into it and that's what Craig is looking for and apparently Youtube too. Maybe this is a brand new thing, I don't know. And since Biab is very well known, who knows how many songs have been posted on YT using these same RT's? I can see a smart AI being able to spot them, a lot have been around for years now.

Same with the piano parts. No licks, no different rhythms. Unfortunately, that's the weakness of the RT's especially on this kind of mellow material. The way around that is to use several different RT's and then cut/paste them to get the variation and licks. Frankly I'm surprised you got the one approved because it has the same problem to my ears. I like your overall song quality and your singing but the backing tracks are too bland and that's why you're getting flagged imho.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for the advice Joanne, but I have no idea how to attract 4,000 hours of watchtime and 1,000 subscribers within a 12 month period, which is now the minimum requirement to qualify for YouTube monetization.
Besides, my skills in making a video amounts to combining a series of photos with a music track. I don't even own a HD camcorder. Haha.

Off-Topic
Andyman Offline OP
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks for your helpful information Bob (and Charlie).
I must admit that my skills in using BIAB Realtracks is pretty basic.
I don't use Realband and don't want to spend time learning how to master it, as I'm quite happy and at home using my Zoom R16 for recording, and Audacity for mixing, arranging and editing.
In past decades I used the combination of a 4-track Tascam Portastudio and Steinberg's Pro 24 sequencer running on an Atari ST micro-computer for recording, mixing and editing, and I managed to get pretty good results with that. My first EP was recorded using that equipment and it's success helped to pay towards my studio upgrade.

To be perfectly honest, I only started using BIAB a couple of years ago and it was initially just as a songwriting tool, and has proven to be a very useful one too.
As a musician (multi-instrumentalist) with many musical instruments and over 40 years experience of writing, performing and recording in my own studio, I think that it would be more preferable, and a lot easier for me to go back to providing all of the instrumentation myself, than it would having to learn how to make Realtracks sound more natural and non-detectable in my music, although I do have the utmost respect for those who are skilful in working with and manipulating sampled sounds for use in their music.

From listening to the showcase here, I know that BIAB Realtracks are extremely useful for many songwriters in making their music, and particularly for those who only play a single instrument (or none at all), but as you say, there is no substitute for good musicianship.

I've never had any of my music marked 'ineligible for monetization' before, and it only occurred due to the fact that I used LANDR to release those eight songs which used basic Realtracks accompaniment, so in my particular case the easiest solution to the problem would undoubtedly be to perform all the backing instrumentation myself if I ever feel the need to use my music in a YouTube video that I want to monetize, even if it means stripping the song back to just a handful of 'live' instruments. I must admit that I'm tempted to over-produce my tracks and add unnecessary Realtracks when using BIAB to compose songs and instrumentals.

The main thing is that my music (Realtracks included) has been getting lots of song plays on Spotify, Reverbnation, Soundcloud, etc, and my latest instrumental track 'Running in Circles' was played on BBC Radio (BBC Introducing) on Saturday and it's available on catchup for 30 days, so I should get lots more hits and paid downloads on my social media accounts from that.

https://andyshearer.wixsite.com/music
https://www.reverbnation.com/andyshearer
https://www.reverbnation.com/andyshearerinstrumentals

Last edited by Andyman; 07/11/19 01:56 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
One of my mantra's has been "If it ain't broke don't fix it". Your method has been working for years so keep on keeping on.

My only further comment is I find it fun to dive in and figure out how this stuff works and all the things that can be done with these tracks. One common trick is to only use one or two RT's and keep the rest live and you don't have to use one for the whole song either, but hey, you're doing fine as it is.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,509
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195