Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#157987 04/26/12 08:27 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I found an 1987 400E Mercedes Benz that I am in the process of purchasing. I have never owned a Mercedes before and this will be the first. It has a 3.0 inline 6 cylinder in it with about 275 hp or so. Inside and outside are super clean and it runs like a top.

I've searched the net for that particular model and I am having a hard time finding information on it. I read on a MB forum that this year and make were hand made in Germany and they are built like a tank. Other then that, not much info has come across my screen.

Anyone have an older MB they would care to share about? Thanks.

DMV records show it recently passed smog test here, so that's good news.

Trax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
My mother had one about that vintage. I picked up some parts for it once at her dealer and was horrified at the price of the parts, compared to similar items for the Honda I was driving at the time.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

My mother had one about that vintage. I picked up some parts for it once at her dealer and was horrified at the price of the parts, compared to similar items for the Honda I was driving at the time.

My father in law once had a Mercedes, and experienced the same horror every time he had to buy parts. The guy selling the parts said "We assume that if you can afford a Mercedes, you can afford these prices"

Which is why I steer clear of restaurants that don't put prices on the menu. Their assumption is that if you have to ask how much it costs before you order it, then you probably can't afford to eat there.

CHEAPSKATE-O-METER
0____________/_100

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
CHEAPSKATE-O-METER

0_____________100_____/

I am Slovenian. We are so tight we squeak.

I came close to buying a knock off similar to a Mercedes Benz.

It was called a Mercury Bent......

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Would agree with the parts AND service sticker shock. Have had older models of Jaguars and Lexus. A couple of dealer examples: oil changes over $125, at Firestone $50 for 6 qt changes; liscense plate holder: $85 at Lexus, on-line same Lexus part $25. Your only hope: find a good non-dealer mechanic but even then if you need OEM parts...be prepared!

Win11, Intel i7 7700K 4.2Ghz, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB/RB 2024, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express, Yamaha Montage 7, DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive3 Extreme, Kontakt 6, SampleTank 4.3
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Sort of pointed out already - as soon as you have to fix even a small item on this vehicle, you will wish you bought something where parts and service are cheaper.

Resist the urge unless you are ready for this to be a 'project' car!

Built like a tank: yes. Ever see how much tank parts cost?

-Scott

Off-Topic
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
I knew a guy who's wife called him a cheapskate.
He liked to refer to himself as below, and so do I !!

Fiscally-Responsible-Meter:

0________________/_100

LLOYD S.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I am getting it cheap and it runs great. I do have a friend that owns an auto repair business, so that helps.

The 400E series is kind of rare here in the US, that is why I was asking.

Mercedes and German Engineering are usually the best when it comes to cars, no?

This will be my first Benz

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
BTW, my F250 Diesel oil change runs 100+ when it has to be done.

Trax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Trax I could not disagree more with these comments. I've bought 5 old MBZ's over the last 20 years now when a friend who knows all about them finally talked me into it because I was skeptical like the posters here. The first one was a 79 turbo D for $2,500 with about 150K on it and the latest one is a 2001 CLK430 that I picked up just before Xmas for 7 grand. This car is a black on black high option version with the nav system, Bose sound, even the air bladders in the seats. It sold new for 52 grand. Why so cheap you ask? Because it has 130K on it and the average person thinks it's done and it's going to be a money pit. Nothing could be further from the truth and that's what makes old Benz's a good buy. My other Benz is a 87 560 SEC with only 248K on it and a friend of a friend is picking it up from me next week for 4 grand. Do the math, I upgraded from an 87 to a 2001 with all the newer high tech stuff for a difference of 3 grand and 115 thousand less miles? What kind of a no brainer is that? That's what I've done since around 1992. The only reason I've bought 5 cars and not 3 is bacause one got totaled, I sold one to my nephew and I'm just now selling the SEC. No major repairs on any of them but sure I've replaced starters, alternaters, one radiator, hoses, all the regular maintence stuff but I'm telling you the parts are not more expensive than they are for any other car. Even the AC compressor on the older ones like this 87 you're talking about is the GM rotary type they put in Chevy's. They're like $150. No biggie.

Here's the deal. If you live away from a big metro area forget it. Some of the people in this thread are probably correct because of that. In a smaller town with one dealer and two indies who all know each other, you're going to get bent over for repairs. But here in LA Benz's are like Honda's. Everybody and their dog has one and there's shops all over the place plus there's tons of wrecking yards for parts for older ones.

Example, last year I needed a window regulator for the driver's side door for my SEC. New from the dealer is about 6 hundred bucks and a used rebuilt one is half that. On the Benzworld forum I met a guy in Glendale, maybe 20 miles from me who's hobby is old S class cars and he had a good regulator he pulled from a wrecking yard for 50 bucks. That's what you do if you can. That and find a decent indy mechanic.

I'm not going to rattle on and on about older Benz's here. PM me if you want, I know quite a bit about them. Oh, and here are the two big forums, you'll see me posting there in the CLK sections.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

http://mbworld.org/forums/index.php

One more thing, MBZ didn't come out with a 400E until 1992 in the US market. This car may have been a grey market import because 87 was right at the end for people doing that. If it passed smog it's legal now so probably no problem but ask around those forums. Just like here, there's a lot of good people in both forums who know a ton about these cars and it seems like a good 20% of them are from SoCal.

Ok, yet another thing. Get familiar with the chassis model numbers, all the Benz pro's and wannabe's use it. My CLK is a W208, my SEC is a W126 and your proposed E class is a W124. Buy that car and don't worry, I'll get you up to speed. There's a huge family of Benz fanatics out there including for the old ones.

Bob

Last edited by jazzmammal; 04/27/12 05:39 PM.

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Bob

The emblem says 400E on the trunk and the vin/dmv says it was built in 1987? It has an inline 6 cylinder engine. When I ran the vin through a Russian site for the "data," it says it is a 300E model? Like I said, this will be my first MB. I am getting it next to nothing through a lien sale from a family owned tow company here in So Cal.

I am 60 miles east of LA and will be picking it up on the 1st in Riverside.

I don't know if the original owner swapped the trunk emblem on it, but it says 400E?

The body doesn't have any dings, supermarket rash etc . . It is a greenish/silver color, 4 door sedan with leather interior. Wood paneling throughout the dash and the carpets didn't have any holes. It needs a good cleaning/detail in and out.

The tires and wheels on it are worth more then I am getting it for alone. Motor is quiet as a mouse and I drove it around the tow lot to make sure the tranny worked correctly.

DMV registration/title/plates paperwork was just over $200 to put in my name. It is NOT a salvage title, strictly lien sale.

Thanks for the links. I will check them out and see what I can come up with on the 400E thing. According to the data from the vin, this car was #9 from the factory in Germany in 1987.

I appreciate the info you have given me on it. I look forward to driving it soon.

Oh yeah, the odometer says 188k on it.

Trax

Last edited by Muzic Trax; 04/27/12 08:27 PM.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Trax, I was an engineer for Bosch for 8 years - Bosch is one of a few German companies who do a whole bunch of the actual engineering for the big 3 German manufacturers. I say this because I cringe at your statement about superior German engineering. Check out who actually makes VW's minivan. Bob's point about parts costs related to availability is well taken.

Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Trax,

This will probably interest you..

http://www.tradebit.com/filesharing.php/search/0/mercedes+300e+repair

Good luck and have fun with you new "Toy".

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
If it's a 6cyl then it's a 300E. Who knows why that 400 emblem is on it, the other one may have been ripped off and the guy had a 400 one laying around or he was a poser. A 400 is a V8, is a newer model and cost more. A lot of people still do that today like putting an AMG emblem on my CLK because an AMG costs like 25 grand more or guys putting the 427 badge and stinger hood on a Corvette back in the day that actually had the 350.

It sounds like you should be fine for what you're paying for it. A quick story about a 300E. Around 1998 or so I was a new car auto broker. I brokered a new Jag to a guy out in Calabassas who had about the same year 300E as yours, it looked good but it wasn't running. It had about 250K on it. I asked my mechanic if he was interested and he wound up buying it for $700 and he told me it was probably bad valves and it needed a head but he was taking a some risk, maybe the whole engine was shot. He called me up a few days later to come over to the shop, he wanted to show me something. He had the head off and yes, it needed valves. He had me run my finger up and down inside of one of the cylinders and I could feel tiny ridges. He said those were the machine marks from the factory and at 250 thousand miles they haven't even worn off yet. He also said in 25 years he's never gone into the block of any Benz, only the heads. He said the only time he's heard of someone rebuilding a Benz engine was when someone let it overheat and cooked it to death or something. He got the head rebuilt for $1,300 and put it back on the car and it ran perfect including the trans. He let me drive it and it was sweet. His wife drove it for about 5 years and he never did anything else significant to it just routine stuff like maybe a starter and brakes.

The 6 cyl 300E is probably the single best powertrain Mercedes has ever built. 188K is nothing, if you have to do the head in 5 years, so what? That car is one of the best selling Benz's ever, parts are easily available and plenty of people can work on it even out where you're at. Since you don't know any of the history on it, spend a few hundred right now and change all the fluids including the trans and filter, oil, coolant and brake fluid. Put it up on a rack and inspect everything, pull on the suspension members, check for loose ball joints, the exahust system and oil leaks. Catching something early and fixing it now will save you a ton later if you decide you're going to keep it.

The thing about an old Benz is they're worth fixing and keeping because it's still a classy solid ride. Honda's and Toyota's are also good, reliable cars but they don't have anywhere near the style and class of an equally old Benz. Anybody want to put a grand into a 87 Camry or Civic? Not likely, you'll just scrap it.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
If the car hasn't beeb running regularly, I don't recommend immediately changing all the fluids. Far better to drive the car ever day for a week or two before doing that, to allow the oils to re-absorb nasties that breakdown when just sitting. This is also good for the seals, as well.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'll buy that and run some Techron for the injectors too. Of course in my praise for old Benz's don't think I'm saying everything will be just peachy. I'm not your usual car buyer, I was in the business for over 20 years I know how to appraise a car. It's still a 25 year old car, stuff can blow up in your face including the one I just bought, no guarantees but if the car has been well kept they last a long time with normal maintenance. I've certainly had a good experience with all of mine and they've all been high milers. My SEC had 153K when I bought it and it's got 248 now, I paid 7 grand for it, selling it for 4 grand now after about 6-7 years, what can I say they're great cars and worth it. Over that time I've done a couple of starters, a couple of fuel pumps, a radiator and water pump, the AC compressor, all the belts and hoses, fixed the power seat once, the power window, a trans relay, a fuel relay, and other things I can't remember now but it's all normal stuff for any old car not just a Benz. I paid 200 and something for a rebuilt alternator, same as for a Honda. I know I could have rebuilt it myself, done it before but I get lazy sometimes. The key is keep them up. You can't notice it's running rough or the trans isn't shifting right and just keep running it that way for year. Fix it.

Bob

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Update: Picked up the car today and it runs great so far Straight as an arrow down the highway and is very quiet with the windows rolled up. Right rear passenger window does not roll down though. Faceplate from the radio is also missing.

Checked all of the fluids before leaving the yard and they were full. It was 70 degrees here today and couldn't tell if the AC worked or not? I have to figure out the climate control and buttons on the dash first.

I was unable to open the sunroof on it. Don't know if it's the button or the operator malfunction, lol.

So far so good. Might need my mechanic to go through the electrics/switches/fuse box in it to see what's up with them. Wipers, lights, and signals all work though.

It needs a good cleaning inside and out, but the carpet/seats don't have any holes etc . .

I am pleased with the purchase and relieved it runs well. I will be keeping an eye on the guages in the next few days as well. Stay tuned . . .

Trax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I want a pick up with a bench seat, AM radio and a spare in the bed with a oil and dust coated truck jack, an old pair of leather gloves, both left handed, some rusty chain, a gun rack, and 4 tires from different makers. A ripped and worn map of Alberta and a blue garter on the rear view. The crack in the wide driver side mirror won't bother me, and the smoke at the back is nothing a nice quart of 50w won't fix. I'm sorry about the cigar ash, I'll dump it someday when the sun is too bright in the west and I pull over to watch the combines in the summer heat, sun streaming gold through the evening rays while they are taking off the wheat. We won't ever need A/C. Keep your pod, pad, phone and pit(iful) bull dog. I got the sun and a border collie ridin shotgun. Gravel roads, minor keys, and fishin with the grandson.

Maybe you, your ball and chain, and Janis can ride on into the sunset if your prayers are answered, I just need to check under some mattress and find me a pickup.

Rock on.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My uncle had an old Dodge truck, mid 60's (yellow) and it was a 3 speed. I had a golden lab that loved to ride shotgun when I was learning how to drive on the old dirt roads here. His name was Magnum. I found him on the side of the road, couldn't have been more then 2-3 weeks old, on my way to my girlfriends house when the sun was about to set. Best dog I ever had. I forget how many years I had him, but he lived to a nice old age.

You couldn't rough-house with me or he would get ya. My friends and I played football on that old dirt road. I got tackled one time and he let my friend Randy have a pinch on his derrier. Must have thought I was in trouble, lol

You can't hardly find those old trucks running around here anymore. Smog stuff let the state outlaw most of them or buy them back because they were "gas guzzlers," something like that. I miss that old truck and my dog.

Trax

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199