Print Thread
Go To
#225501 12/03/13 09:50 PM
Off-Topic
DennisD Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Like a lot of musicians I have pages of sheet music. What I would like to do is copy them so I can load them into my computer. I thought of scanning but that process is too slow when one considers you have the time spent arranging the sheet on the glass or reducing the scan size so the finished product fits an 8 1/2" by 11" sheet of paper and then waiting for the mechanical process of the scanner. I thought it might be easier to photograph them. What I would like to do is build some kind of rack such that the area where the document would lie, would have some kind of frame that defines the area to be photographed, and then have the sides of the rack at some defined focal length so that the camera would sit in a frame above the document. I envision just sliding the document into the document holder and snapping a picture. My concerns are that I want the document picture to be taken as a full size 8 1/2" by 11". Do I just adjust the "legs" of the rack so the viewfiner is filled, or is there some other magic math I need? Any comments will be appreciated. DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Dennis,

If the ratio of the dimensions of your camera lens is not close to the ratio of 8.5:11, you will have empty space somewhere in the image.

Maybe you should experiment a little first, if you haven't done so already, and see what works best.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
After all that... wouldn't it be much simpler to just scan it?

I had considered that when I was playing in the church orchestra especially for the Christmas musical/stage show/production extravaganza, that we did every year.

We literally had a 3 ring binder and orchestra music being what it is with the DC al coda's and the other various road signs in the music. There was a need to place tabs on the sheet music pages so that I could flip back a few pages to grab the repeat, then a few bars later, jump ahead to the ending.... that, was a real pain. Some of the tunes were easy enough to learn and commit to memory but others were not so easily committed to rote memory. Especially the ones with tons of chords and changes and modulations.....etc...

I started to do a cheat sheet of just the chords but due to the length of the entire production, that idea was quickly abandoned. The bass player and myself tried it in the rehearsal and found it to be less than desirable. The problem was, when the director stopped and then restarted... he would call out starting at measure 58.... and we were like "huh?"..... We knew that the production would not stop and start in the middle but we had to get through all the rehearsals too. For that year, we simply ended up using the 3 ring binders and I copied the needed pages and bars of the repeats and put together my own custom binder..... with the music in sequence and "peeks ahead" at the surprises coming in the first bars of the next page that I needed to be aware of.

For the following year, and for other similar church musical events, I thought it would be easier to simply scan the pages and use a laptop. This idea occurred to me as we were in the middle of the actual public performances. With a quick tap of a key we could page to the next page, and repeats could be inserted as the next page rather than going back and forth.... just keep it rolling forward.

I never got to try it out since the MM director and myself had a pretty significant "disagreement" during the "Spring Musical Extravaganza" and a parting of ways. Basically, I quit. Long story that I'm sure you don't want to know.

So I never got to the point of actually scanning it all in and building a document to use in those events. I do think it would have worked well. Some time later I saw that many other musicians are using such things...... technology is good. Use it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
iPhone users: CamScanner Free. Works a treat. There might be an android version also. I've been using CamScanner Free for all of my document scanning needs for about 2 years. Have used it on music as well. Has intelligent keystone correction and save to .pdf, etc. Yes, I've used it on sheet music also.

-Scott

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Dennis,

Another approach would be to set your music on a music stand, set your camera on a tripod then zoom in on your page. This of course assumes that your camera can zoom, if not then set the camera at the proper distance from the music so the camera only sees the music.

Shoot.

Then batch resize with this free picture batch resizer:
http://www.picresize.com/batch.php

I can not vouch for the resizer but it should work according to the web site.

I hope this helps.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I used to do this for a living.

Professional photographers do something like what you describe using a setup like this:

http://www.amazon.com/ProMaster-2174-Promaster-Copy-Stand/dp/B001VDNP3O

It is pretty easy to build something like this at home. A little experimentation will show you what the challenges are. Notice that the device does not have a fixed frame. Every paper printout has its own details of margins, sizes etc. Every shot has to be adjusted to fit the frame of your camera. The lighting has to be controlled so that you get the same shade of white from various qualities of papers. It can be quite demanding.

After you have fooled around with this for a while, you may conclude that scanning is actually pretty quick.

Last edited by flatfoot; 12/05/13 07:31 AM.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Be advised that sheet music copyrights also apply to digital or any other copy means as well.

While most think that such is okay because it is for their own private use, which is true as long as use remains private, it actually is a violation to take the copy out to certain venues, readily seen, such as nightclubs, bars, stages and even churches.

So take care. Don't include the copyright statements that may be along the bottom of the sheets...

--Mac

Off-Topic
DennisD Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for taking the time to review my post. Can’t believe a week has gone by. All the replies were useful to me in that they either gave me another direction and/or confirmed my thought process was relatively valid. Noel thanks for info that it is the ratio dimensions of the camera lens to the document which results in a better finished photo GH, the music I am scanning is mostly stuff out of books like “Top Hits of The Sixties” (ad nauseum). All I want the song for is to maybe review the melody or lyrics. I won’t be digitizing orchestra or big band charts because in my experience we edit them for shows. Also all I have is the guitar or banjo part not the complete score so it is of limited use. RS thanks for the lead on CamScanner, I youtubed it and looks to be ideal. I will be giving it a try. Mario and flatfoot, your examples are what I want to make out of “wood” so that I would have a fixed focal length, lighting and a defined photo area.
Mac thanks for the reminder on copyright. Normally this information is intended for “work” in the home. If I take it outside, I usually just take the part of the arrangement I need the reminder on. Currently I have loaded about 250 songs into a $59 tablet to see if I could forgo my binders. So far other than the screen being too small, the experiment has worked such that I now feel comfortable about buying a Surface Pro 2 or equivalent and loading most music data into that. Hence the reason for a faster easier way to get my sheet music and lyrics digitized.Thanks again, DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
>>>... I want to make out of “wood” so that I would have a fixed focal length, lighting and a defined photo area...>>>>

You can certainly make a perfectly effetive copystand out of wood, but my point was just the opposite. A little experimentation will reveal that you WILL NOT arrive at a working standard of fixed focal length, framing and lighting requirements. Try it and you will see that every shooting situation is different. A lot different.

Flatfoot sez: Call me when 'Talent-in-a-Box' is ready to ship! -- [8{>

Got some tunes on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/flatfoot50
My BiaB lesson site:
http://jdwolfe0.wixsite.com/learnbiab
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Old Photograohic Darkroom Enlargers are now out of vogue due to digital photography.

An Enlarger can easily be turned into a photographic copy stand for a modern digital camera by simply removing the actual Enlarger bulb housing, film holder and bellows/lens assembly and mounting a 1/4-20 camera mount plate as found on tripods to the Enlarger mount.

Adjustable focal length copy stand in one shot.

Old Enlargers can be found sometimes at Thrift Shops, Garage Sales, ebay, etc. and the good news here is that you only want the stand itself, meaning that you can find a good bargain in one where the enlarger actual parts can be missing, damaged, etc. and use that to barter down the price, you only want the working base, pole and scissors.

--Mac

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
The app I mentioned above is in my hand right now and weighs nothing. It simply works. It's best use for me is documenting white board brainstorm sessions. Rendered electronic whiteboards nearly useless.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199