#341428 03/23/16 03:29 AM
Off-Topic
D
DaClark Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
If I'm looking for a specific type of music or song, is there a way to search within a style in the showcase? Or do I do that in soundcloud somehow? I like current country music a lot. I see the showcase has country and folk. I do like that too but am looking for slightly different than that. Otherwise do I just click and listen to each to find them? Sorry if this question is in the wrong place. I didn't think I should ask it in the showcase.

Who's up for brats and beer?
DaClark #341443 03/23/16 05:03 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
There are some "'round-about" ways to accomplish this. I can suggest a few.

You can find a good deal of Country from BIAB users.
Most of that will be "old school" Country because, generally, that is who we are and where we came from.
You will find very little that fits the "modern country" mold, but, that depends on YOUR definition of "modern" - and you will need to decide for yourself if anyone fits that...

There is a link to the collected Showcase songs by Category here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/user-showcase/
(This is not the Showcase forum, but a gathering of songs from the Showcase).
It is fairly random. You can sample stuff a little more quickly there.
You can sort that by the column headers - so if you find an "artist" that is doing what you are looking for, you can find a number of their songs by sorting on that column.

(I think this is a better way) - Within the actual Showcase:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=50&page=1
you can click on the blue header "Poster" where it says "Subject/Poster" and the entire Showcase will be sorted by Poster (in the order of their posts by date).
Again, if you find someone you like, this will allow you to locate all of the songs that they have posted. (Once you are "finished" doing that, make sure to click the "Posted" header (far right column) to get it back to sorted by posted date.
If you need to jump many pages to get where you want to go, there is a "down-arrow" at the end of the pages (1 of 206...) - click that and you can enter any number then click the Go...

Most people have a favored place where they place all their songs, so once you discover that, it is generally easy to hear a bunch of BIAB examples in succession.

For example, (warning: "tootin' my own horn here"..) I've collected some of the songs I've posted into "CD's" on my site
http://floydjane.com/index.html
- click a CD, it will take you to list of songs that you can play - virtually ALL BIAB..
I have recently added a Soundcloud page, too (it will have some of the same songs, some different) -
https://soundcloud.com/floydjane (again, ALL BIAB songs)

I would recommend Tom Adams' (tommyad) site...
- a good variety - mostly BIAB - Tom adds his own guitar and, at times, his own pedal steel...
http://tommyadamsmusic.com/music

and Steve Young's Soundcloud site:
(Steve's use of BIAB is what convinced me to buy it - I thank him as often as I can!)
https://soundcloud.com/stephenwyoung

Janice and Bud's place:
(a VERY wide variety music examples - great use of BIAB)
https://soundcloud.com/mootsman

Herb's place - which will, again, be very old-school Country
- Herb also adds his own guitar in -
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=443134

That's a few examples in the Country area...

Off-Topic
D
DaClark Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Really helpful and detailed reply. Your songs caught me ear. Good stuff. I get the feeling you aren't new to this. I do like almost any country traditional or even bro. From reading a few threads I see there is a heavy lean to one side. A few friends and me have a basement band. We practice once or twice a week to play out every three months. Nothing serious to it just fun. We are doing some Zac Brown Cole Swindell Luke Bryan and the like. It gets the girls dancing and bring the boys that drink beer come for the girls. Thought about using this for some backing tracks and maybe try some originals. Thats a different ballgame though. Is anyone one here doing the chart type country?

DaClark #341458 03/23/16 06:16 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: DaClark
Is anyone one here doing the chart type country?

Essentially, "no". People here are not doing that sound. But NOT because it can't be done. Most people don't really aspire to that sound. And most don't understand how to create it. But it CAN be done. I have a production set up to get that sound - simply to see if I could get it - I haven't written a lyric to it, so it is just the "sound bed" (for the most part, it is not the sound I am after for my songs - there are elements of it in my latest post "Too Dangerous" once you hit the chorus - but it is not an attempt to recreate that sound).

Caaron ("HearToLearn") has done a lot more in that direction than anyone else here has - but he hasn't been around for a number of weeks - and he does not post in the Showcase (but if he pops up, he might be willing to post a snippet of something he is working on to demonstrate "the sound").

In order to do it, you need a good "producer's ear" to understand all that goes into the "modern Country sound". It's not hard, it's just "different". And you need all of BIAB (the UltraPlusPak) because it take elements from many different styles (most of which are NOT the standard "Country" stuff) - it a mix-and-match-hodge-podge. You need some imagination. It's P&W drums and Rock guitars with heavily delayed pedal steel and underlying banjo. And maybe a metal or funk bass. It doesn't hurt to throw in a RAP percussion loop...

(If I find time later - and if you are interested - I can post a snippet of the "sound bed" that I have - to demonstrate...)

DaClark #341471 03/23/16 07:09 AM
Off-Topic
D
DaClark Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
Had the showcase player going for a while this morning and there some good stuff to be had there for sure. Also listened to your song dangerous song and feel that could be on the radio. You grab on of the chart toppers right now and have them sing that and it would be game over. That's what we want to do right there. Not looking for fortune or fame just to be good where we are. A song like that would turn heads. are you using band in a box for that? I hear a bit what it can do and am surprised. I'm guessing it takes some playing around to get things just right but it's there. that would be great if you post your snippet. if it's a music bed how do you put words to it?

DaClark #341486 03/23/16 08:17 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For the most part, everything I do is 100% Band-In-A-Box. The tracks are exported out of BIAB so that they can be remixed in a DAW (RealBand can serve that purpose. I happen to use Presonus Studio One). In the case of "Too Dangerous" I used a piano track that was generated by EZKeys - because I happened to be "playing around with it" - but I could have just as easily found a BIAB piano RealTrack to fill that spot. The song also included guitar leads done by my buddy Tom Adams (but 90% of my songs use lead work from BIAB).

So, here is a snippet of BIAB tracks put together to achieve that "sound-wash" that you typically hear in current Country radio songs (it's a long way from finished - there will likely be more "layering" later). Keep in mind, there are no vocals and the vocals in today's songs are a BIG part of why they sound as they do... there is a cadence to the lyric writing that defines that "new sound". Country radio songs from 10 years ago were an entirely different kind of lyric write (and I, for one, hope that it will return to that. The "old style" has moved over to Americana for now...).

http://floydjane.com/Songs/Mixtest.htm

(if you use the opening lead figure to "sing" once that lead stops, you should be able to "feel" what the lyric would do - current country is very repetitive)

DaClark #341505 03/23/16 10:41 AM
Off-Topic
D
DaClark Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I see what you mean. That has the right sound for sure. It seems like it has a melody even without it. Should be cool to see what you do with it. I get what you are saying about repetitive. More pop than story driven. You would think it makes for an easy write but not the case many times at least for me. I like both kinds of the story and more pop country for different reasons. When do you think your song will be done. I would like to hear it. Are you going to post it here?

DaClark #341584 03/24/16 04:31 AM
Off-Topic
D
DaClark Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
D
I played a couple of your songs for my band and they think you are a good writer. Do you write for more local bands ever? or can you give tips on how to write like that? we don't want to put a ton of time into it because this is just a fun thing but like to have good sounding songs to. it just seems like there is more to it than just a few chords, guitar, bass, and the singing. if you listen, there is more than I would have guessed going on in these songs. I grew up on traditional country and like that. This new stuff is cool in its own way though. I thought it was trash at first but catchy. Now I get it's clever in a different kind of way. That's where were hoping band in a box can fill in some holes for us. It's a rude awakening when you realize its hard to pull off the crap you've been ripping on. You can dumb it down but its usually cause you cant do it all. I guess asking how long it takes to write like that is asking how long it takes to learn an instrument. It just seems like it should be simple. We kept saying theres nothing to these words but to write them is hard. A lot of people have help though. I think thats what we need to.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,622
Posts735,188
Members38,520
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61, TonyInManchester
38,519 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185