OK this is just an FYI video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFHBBN0CqXk

enjoy
Larry

EDIT

Related cud to chew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDjC5jklb3o

EDIT over

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 03/12/19 03:24 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I really wanted to upgrade my laptop to Win10 (in fact, I did for awhile). But HP couldn't be bothered to provide a compatible video driver for my machine (well they actually didn't provide it for Windows 8 and so by extension for Win10 also), and the fingerprint reader and HDMI port stop working (again, drivers). And a few other things didn't work right.
Even after spending a long time looking for alternate solutions and fixes, the best solution for getting on with being productive was reverting back to Win7.

The good news is that since at least I had done the initial Win10 upgrade, my machine is already in their registration database. So come 2020, I'll be able to either buy a new laptop or re-upgrade to Win10 and just live with the limitations for awhile.

But for now, I'll keep it at Win7 as it is rock solid.

I'm not anti-Win10 (my two desktops are Win10), just pragmatic. I gave Win10 the old college try (on my laptop), but Win7 sits more comfortably on it.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
I really wanted to upgrade my laptop to Win10 (in fact, I did for awhile). But HP couldn't be bothered to provide a compatible video driver for my machine. <snipped>

Bro, how old is that laptop?

I am at a level of nerd that I actually LOOK for reasons to buy new computers. Since Windows 10 came out I bought 2 new towers and a new laptop. It's only money, and I can't keep a cent when I'm dead.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
While some folks can just go out and buy new computers as it suits them, that is not my situation. And all it would have taken was for HP to literally spend 5 minutes on new drivers, but they didn't (and said they wouldn't), because they would rather sell a new computer. And this was not a cheap laptop to start with.

John

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
John

I'm still using a Dell Latitude laptop with Windows XP and another, slightly newer, with Win 7, my other laptops and my desktop are now all Win 10.

However, even my new home built Win 10 desktop has MULTIPLE Windows XP and Windows 7 VM's eating up space on my SSD.

All these older OS's are mainly due to customer support requirements but I still prefer Win 7 over Win 10.

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
While I've been (for the most part) happy with Win10, I prefer Win7 as well; it's one of the reasons why I use Stardock Start10 as a replacement Start menu on my Win10 machines.

John

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, if it's any consolation..... I'm still using XP Pro 32bit with SP3 on my DAW. The machine is totally 64 bit capable with quad cores and all that.... but.... if it ain't broke.... why fix it? Right?

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 03/13/19 09:48 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Larry: And while it's for nostalgia more than productivity, I've got VMWare Desktop (an older version) running on the same laptop so I can run MS-DOS 6.22, Windows for Workgropus 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows XP Pro, Windows Vista, Windows 8, and Ubuntu Linux. Those images are all on a 1TB eSATA drive connected to the laptop.

John

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Starting MS-DOS...

HIMEM is testing memory ...done

C:\>C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.exe /X
C:\>_

And we think windows 10 is a pain!!!...lollol

And yes, Windows 10 is a pain. It is just a different sort of pain.

I guess the precise number is not known but somewhere around 129 million people are still using Windows XP.

I really don't like Windows 10 but it is better than the other choices for me.

Cheers,

Billy

New location, new environment, new music coming soon

Seize the moo-ment
If you feel like you’ve herd all these cow puns before, you probably have deja-moo
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Well, if it's any consolation..... I'm still using XP Pro 32bit with SP3 on my Daw

I'm still using a laptop with Windows XP to run my Model Railroad out in the Garage. No sense throwing out a perfectly running computer on one hand, and no sense putting a bleeding edge piece of technology in the Garage to run trains over telephone wire. I keep the fire breather with the 2 graphic cards in my studio to edit videos.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting views on versions of Windows OS. I've always been a complete geek and try to learn the new Windows versions as soon as I can. That way I can always help friends and family when they adopt. My view is that each version has got better. Sure there are some things that change that can be difficult to grasp at first. Others will mention that they do not like the "intrusions" newer versions seem to have regarding your privacy. The more you work with the new OS, the easier it becomes to use it. It's all about adapting to change. If change is difficult for your personality, the upgrade will be difficult. smile

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: sslechta
I've always been a complete geek and try to learn the new Windows versions as soon as I can.

When you work in IT and have to support it, you have no choice.

Quote:
Others will mention that they do not like the "intrusions" newer versions seem to have regarding your privacy. The more you work with the new OS, the easier it becomes to use it. It's all about adapting to change. If change is difficult for your personality, the upgrade will be difficult. smile

And some of these people buy a house based on where they will park their horse and buggy.....

I remember when Windows 95 came out in, uh, I guess it was 95. LOL!! I was one of those idiots standing in line waiting for the store to open at midnight to buy it on the first day. I then spent 40 hours straight over a weekend with a manual on my lap listening to it beep saying "invalid command". Cursing at it like a sailor. Until I realized "Oh yeah. I did that wrong."

Some people refuse to continue learning new things. But that is just part of the microwave world we live in.

My favorite t-shirts. And yes, I own both of them.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nice Eddie...… I own this T-shirt and wear it to my friends/relatives when I fix their PC:

Attached Files (Click to download or enlarge) (Only available when you are logged in)
Untitled.jpg (62.68 KB, 68 downloads)

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Steve, fortunately the few friends I have are also nerds and can fix their own problems. Which is good, since they caused them.... I once charged a past girlfriend for fixing her kid's computer. She was shocked, but she paid me. Hey, 2 hours of my time is 2 hours of my time. I don't care if there are "benefits" involved or not.

I also fired her from the band we started, so.... I didn't see much of her after that.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
All of this is fun but John has a legitimate issue and I'm one of the biggest proponents of using Win 10. You shouldn't have to buy another expensive laptop because HP refuses to update the stupid drivers. That's one reason why I usually build my own desktops but I've not yet seen a DIY laptop kit...

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Larry: The frustration and discontent so well expressed in the video are, sadly, nearly universal among PC users required to plunk down their hard-earned
cash for editions for which they don't see the need, although few of us express the feelings quite like the actor in the video. The video talks about options, but, really, most of us feel there isn't much we can do about Silicon Valley's business plans. We console ourselves with the miracle of the PC and shrug it off and, if anything, after trying the MAC option. Linux, of course, still the elusive Holy Grail.
I received the news about WIN 7 last year and went ahead and bought a reconditioned laptop with WIN 10. After going through and disabling most of the touch features, it runs about like a regular computer. I'll keep the WIN 7 machine as an offline box -- a lot of years, tweaks, and money later, I could never bring the WIN 10 machine up to the standards of the old WIN 7.
I doubt I am the only one who has chosen to go this route -- a so-so internet machine and a serious offline computer.

Last edited by edshaw; 03/15/19 01:21 PM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Win7 x64 user here, hated Win10 the few months I used it for the studio. For the net I am Linux 99.9% of the time.....

i5 3.20GHz, 32gb RAM, 1tb SSD OS, 12tb HDD, 4gb gForce vid card, 32" monitor, Audient id44, Win10 x64, BiaB/RB 2023, Reaper 6,IK Multimedia Total Studio 3.5 MAX, Waves 10
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: jcspro40
Win7 x64 user here, hated Win10 the few months I used it for the studio. For the net I am Linux 99.9% of the time.....

That was the fork in the road when I bought the reconditioned WIN 10 machine : Linux or 10 for the internet ? Down the road, we will be seeing Linux/Inrupt/Solid. It has reached that point.
Incidentally, I've noticed an increase in registry activity noted by CC Cleaner upon logging off. Not a lot, but just a few issues to be deleted, usually connected to Edge and Explorer, neither of which I use. Never used to happen with 7.

Last edited by edshaw; 03/16/19 04:58 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,573
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199