Print Thread
Go To
#539060 06/01/19 08:55 AM
Off-Topic
Jim Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
What do you do if you have a gig in a swamp...
And you've dragged your wife & kids along with you for a picnic while you play?...
You've lathered everyone up with Deet Mosquito repellent when you arrived...
But 4 hours later you forgot to re-apply that Deet Mosquito repellent...
And suddenly all have been attacked by hungry mosquitoes...
What do you do to quickly stop the itch?

Solution:
Dab that same Deet Mosquito repellent on the bite...
Within 15 minutes the itch will be gone...

Caution:
Do not wipe it off...
You can scratch the itch but do not wipe it off.

So the next you play a swamp gig give this tip a try...
But make sure it is a Deet Mosquito repellent

Jim
†=☮&♥
Jim #539139 06/02/19 03:01 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am a 'mosquito magnet', if there is one mosquito in a full convention hall, she will find me. I guess I'm that sweet wink

I use Deet only when others fail. There is a product called "Bug Mace" that works well. I spray it on my clothes and it keeps them away. They don't like the smell (I think it masks the human odor). I've also used "Life Stings" which is a spray made from catnip, mint and a few other herbs. In a light mosquito environment it works well, has a pleasant smell, and washes off easily.

If all else fails I'll use the Deet. It does work better than the others, but only slightly better.

I did some hiking in a salt water swamp in the Everglades National Park. Deet didn't work, there were swarms of them. I have a net suit that I put on over my clothes and that was the only solution. I think no chemical keeps the salt water swam mosquitoes from their appointed rounds. And if you kill one, a dozen come to the funeral.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Jim #539268 06/03/19 04:25 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Better living through chemistry. Here in NC, and especially in the salt marshes, we have some vicious bugs. DEET... the 40% to 100% variety.

Fortunately, the new farm homestead, is relatively free from skeeters and gnats. At least, up around the house. My old place in Sims, you could not step outside in warm weather any time of the day or night with out getting swarmed by both. We used to joke about petitioning the town to hold the annual Sims Gnat Festival they were that prevalent. It wasn't that we were friendly towards the neighbors, even thought they though that we were waving at them all the time..... we were shooing the gnats away.
Several times we went camping in the woods near a lake in another part of the state. All weekend long, outside with swim trunks on. Not a single bite. Home for 30 minutes and had 4 skeeters bite me on one leg. Anyway... the new farm is a very pleasant place. I can set on the back deck in the evening, and even at the fireplace at the woods edge and not have to douse myself in Deet to enjoy the fire and the evening. Along the streams.... well that's another issue totally. Mostly good during the day but a bit problematic in the evening. But, we don't often go to the streams at that time of the evening anyway. Our house sets on a hill so that might factor into the lack of skeeters up here.

Back to music and skeeters. So, many years ago.... we had a gig at a club at the beach. The area was a tourist area with a large area around it with salt marshes. The club was large and didn't have air conditioning so in the middle of the summer, it was hot inside. To solve or alleviate that problem.... they had these big ventilation fans up along the peak of the roof.... they would turn these things on and let them blow the cooler night air into the club....along with hundreds of those salt marsh skeeters. When those things bit you, it was downright painful. And they would itch like the dickens afterwards. Most skeeters can bite with almost no notification of the bite.... but not those things. That was one interesting night. No one got out without getting bitten. We didn't think to bring bug spray..... not in a club.

Oh heck..... lets add some more to this post. Just a few miles down the road from that club a few years later.... at the NC Aquarium.... my wife and I decided to do the nature walk to the overlook and just enjoy the walk and scenery in the middle of the day. Wrong....!!!! We forgot about the appetite and determination of those salt marsh skeeters. We ended up running.... well, more like jogging, back out of that swamp walk. They didn't follow us into the open parking lot.... thankfully. We passed several people walking in who looked at us with quizzical faces..... I thought.... yeah, you might think we're crazy for running on such a hot day..... but you'll find out why very shortly.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 06/03/19 04:38 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Jim #539277 06/03/19 05:24 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
For what it's worth, the latest Consumer Reports issue just rated the CVS knockoff brand (Total Home Woodland Scent Insect Repellent) equivalent to OFF! Deep Woods Insect Repellent at a lower price. They were both top rated for both mosquitoes and ticks.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Jim #539333 06/03/19 10:17 AM
Off-Topic
Jim Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Perhaps the post was misunderstood...

What do you do to quickly stop the itch?

Solution:
Dab that same Deet Mosquito repellent on the bite...
Within 15 minutes the itch will be gone...

Jim
†=☮&♥
Jim #539335 06/03/19 10:22 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Nope, I think we got it; it's just that sometimes these threads take odd turns.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: jford
Nope, I think we got it; it's just that sometimes these threads take odd turns.

John, I was itching to say that wink

Last edited by MarioD; 06/03/19 12:43 PM.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Jim #539359 06/03/19 02:12 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've never tried this but I've heard that if you press something about 120 degrees on the bite.... yeah it's hot... but the heat destroys the enzymes in the mosquito saliva that causes the allergic reaction and thereby stops the itch. If nothing else... the pain from the burn gets your mind off the itch.

There's also some stuff sold in drug stores that does the same thing without the heat.... but I've never tried that either.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Jim #539440 06/04/19 02:48 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I use aloe vera, fresh from the plant in my yard. It's good for burns too.

I've heard honey, oatmeal, tea bags, and the old stand-by, calamine lotion. Since I have aloe plants in my yard, it's easy for me to break a leaf and squish some gel on the bite.

But I'm more for the ounce of prevention.

I planted both Citronella grass and Lemongrass clumps near the entrances to my house. They don't work in February because they are still dormant. The first wave of skeeters come in February around here. By march the grass wakes up.

Before I planted the grass, any evening would have hundreds of those tiny vampires on the screens of my back porch. After the grass, perhaps 2 or 3.

Did you know that the mosquito is the most dangerous animal on Earth? They kill more people per year than any other animal, including other people.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Jim #539554 06/04/19 02:01 PM
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I haven't seen mosquitoes in a really long time, but I suppose a swamp gig would be buzzing with them!

Cheers,
Ember
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195