Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks again for another great find Mike. I've got it bookmarked and will definitely watch it before its expiration date of 09/26/2019.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I found it very disappointing. FWIW I’ve been involved in bluegrass for decades and used to write/photograph for several bluegrass publications and played in several bands. PBS seemed to use very little footage during the last hour other than from PBS produced shows. They gave scant attention to some of the pioneers from throughout the years. Several times commentators contradicted the story in back to back appearances. Rarely were artists identified when on screen. The editing was abysmal.

Yeah, we did not like it. smile YMMV

J&B

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
J&B,

I haven't watched it yet but if all of your assertions are true, (and I don't have any reason to believe they aren't), then it's a deal breaker for me too.

The things that happened revolving around a handful of musicians in a small region of southern Appalachia set in motion something that will span decades of decades of musical history is undeniable.

It sounds like PBS missed an excellent opportunity to document something of great historical musical significance.

It wouldn't be the first time PBS has "screwed the pooch".

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, please don’t let us keep you from watching it. It just seemed thrown together to us. A lot of the footage was from the KET Bluegrass shows that had IMO really bad mixing. Bluegrass is so much more nuanced then most folks would ever realize and the subtleties of bands really working together was not often shown. The early years were covered OK but it mostly a rehash of what has been often written about. Bill Monroe, The Stanley Bros, Jim and Jessie, the Osborne Brothers got their due but it just didn’t seem cohesive. But I’ve read so much about Bluegrass and seen so many documentaries that I am likely biased. Neil Rosenberg was the highlight of the show for us. He was thoughtful, insightful and very well spoken.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
J&B,

I may still watch it, but if a documentary on bluegrass doesn't spend a healthy amount of time on people like JD Crowe, Tony Rice, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush, Mark O'Conner, Ricky Skaggs, Doc Watson, Vassar Clements, David Grisman, (I'm sure you get my drift), ... then it's not doing justice to the genre.

Anyone can pull names like Flatt & Scruggs, Bill Monroe or Ralph Stanley out of a cursory google search on bluegrass. Unless they not only include those people, but go a bit deeper they're not really informed enough to even be working on a project like this.

Just an old curmudgeon's opinion. wink

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
P
if my memory is correct JD Crowe, Jerry Douglas, Sam Bush, Mark O'Conner, Ricky Skaggs, are represented by appearance and themselves providing commentary
i was pleasantly surprised by the coverage of women in bluegrass

for a person like myself who has little familiarity with bluegrass it served as an introduction

i appreciate the comments of those more knowledgeable than i on bluegrass as they provide more folks to research

Last edited by pghboemike; 09/03/19 04:30 AM.

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Clarence White and Tony Rice were ignored. These guys along with Doc Watson essentially added solo flat picking to the bluegrass world and they influenced every following generation in a huge manner. Chubby Wise who played in Monroe’s early group introduced a bluesy jazzy swing to bluegrass fiddle and he was ignored. He was a game changer for country fiddle. Bill Keith who introduced chromatic (more melodic) style banjo to bluegrass in one of Monroe’s groups was ignored. All the bass players were ignored. I think a history doc should be some what linear - covering all the phases over the years. This doc focused on the founders and the current generation while offering much less coverage to the middle years that produced some of the genres best music. Having babbled all that I would not argue that it doesn’t provide a decent intro to folks new to the genre.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I though Ralph Stanley was a passing comment with no mention of his brother.

Other than that, it was pretty good.

...Deb

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Have to agree somewhat with Janice & Bud on this. Definitely some oversights. Certainly leaving out Keith for the banjo and Watson, White, Rice, etc. was a big one. The guitar does seem to get short changed in these type of documentaries (see Ken Burn's Jazz.

Plus one of my pet peeves; voice over narration while the instrumentalists are soloing??? I remember once watching a program about Jimi Hendrix. No talking while he is singing, and then the narration starts when he takes a solo!

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I just finished watching it and I did enjoy it a lot. There were lots of things they could have done better but I still highly recommend watching it.

The biggest area they neglected was the acoustic guitar and it's role. Bluegrass is responsible the acoustic guitar moving from simply being a support instrument to a fixture as a lead instrument. As a result, guitar pioneers like Clarence White got no mention at all and even Tony Rice is barely mentioned, and then only as a member of some bands.

Tony is easily responsible for more Martin D28's being sold than anyone on the planet, (pure speculation on my part. LOL).

Still a must see if you're interested in the genre or want to learn more.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,574
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199