Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Just read this on another forum. Apparently they will be gone December 14. I know a lot of folks here have gotten Biab files from a group there so if somebody needs something now's the time.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob, I just received an email from Yahoo directly on this the other day. To me it sounded like existing groups will still be active but they are going towards more of an email subscription basis. So the web pages may not be available any more. Although being email only would make it difficult to retrieve files from the web page... smile So I guess your comments on "get your files now" are valid.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I used to be a member of half a dozen Yahoo Groups, but always thought their use somewhat unwieldy. Don't think I've checked one in a decade. But good to know the current status.

I used to get a lot of BIAB content from Yahoo Groups, but then they started removing a lot of the files and it became more of a discussion group, especially for folks who never seemed to check the PGMusic forums and didn't understand all the new capabilities if the recent releases, so a lot of it became a complaint forum. Maybe it's changed in the past few years, but that's one of the reasons I left.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Good points John. It's probably been 10 years since I was active as well. Last I saw, spammers had been creating more posts than group members.

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Related BUT WAY WAY WAY OFF music topic (unless we want to talk about the application of logs to musical note frequencies)

Really sad for me since I'm ("was" now) on a very active SLIDE RULE group. Lots of mind numbing hypothetical math implementation problems for SR's, history, questions from noobs, questions and answers about obscure rules, etc. They helped me find my missing SR (well the same company and model anyway) that I lost on a bus in Taiwan in late 1970.

while there is a great Slide Rule Museum site there are no discussions there just lot's of pictures of beautiful SR's, manuals for download, upcoming SR competitions - yes there is an annual SR competition - LOL, history...

https://www.sliderulemuseum.com/

Visit the museum if interested in old stuff that involves actual intelligent thought processes and not mindless key punching with and lots of pics and some of those are part of my Dietzgen collection (I also have a large Pickett, Farber, K&E, Hemmi, Chinese made, and a few others but they aren't posted there)

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I am a member of the The Band-In-A-Box Independent Users Group mailing list. We've been informed that our Yahoo mailing list will continue to operate as it always has, but the on-line archive of files is going to disappear.

I volunteered to host the files from that group on my website. There are .sgu files - songs without melodies made in BiaB by the users. There are quite a few of them.

This mailing list is not very active at times, it goes in spurts. I guess in theory it's nice having a mailing list independent of PG Music, but PG is so open to both praise and criticism, that it really isn't needed for that reason. The user created song files are really the only reason it differs from this forum.

Insights and incites by Notes

Last edited by Notes Norton; 10/30/19 09:47 AM.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
cry Sniff ... (blows nose) ... frown Nobody's even mentioned the +++ Band-in-a-Box UserTracks +++ Yahoo group I started in 2014. (He pouts) tired

Funny but I'm still an active member of five groups and the owner / moderator of one and I haven't received any communication from Yahoo about this. I'm also surprised they don't have any pop-up notification when first accessing a group.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Jim, I didn't mention your group because I didn't know it existed.

If you need somewhere to host the files, contact me.

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,

I appreciate the offer but there's not that much to archive. Yahoo only provided 100 MB of storage space so just a few files are stored there.

I envisioned the group as a place where users would gather to discuss UserTracks, how to make them and how to effectively use them. The group grew to 95 members since 2014. Unfortunately there haven't been many conversations.

Per Yahoo:
Quote:
all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed after December 14. Anything you want to keep will need to be downloaded by that date.

+++ HERE +++ is a link to all the files.

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here is a link to a thread on the Music Player Forums about how guys are archiving files and problems etc. It may be useful to others here:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3013773/list-of-archived-yahoo-groups#Post3013773

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I honestly thought yahoo had already closed down most of their social-related services, except for Tumblr. Which, to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Tumblr lasted for much longer. When Yahoo purchased Tumblr a lot of people left because they didn't like the changes that were made. We shall see what happens! Hopefully those here who still used that part of Yahoo will find alternatives!

Cheers,
Ember
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I never got into Yahoo Groups for my own purposes, but I'm in one with a radio club.....

The word is they are NOT closing down. Just changing a few things.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here are some highlights from an e-mail I received:

Users will be able to join a Yahoo Group only through an invite from the Group Moderator or by submitting a request to join a Group, which requires approval by the Group Moderator.

Since we are moving Group communication from posting on message boards to email distribution, uploading and hosting of new content will also be disabled on the Yahoo Groups website.

Beginning December 14, 2019:

All Groups will be made private and any content that was previously uploaded via the website will be removed. We believe privacy is critical and made this decision to better align with our overall principles.

If you would like to keep any of the content you’ve posted or stored in the past within your Yahoo Group, please download it by December 14.

Yahoo Groups is not going away - We know that our users are deeply passionate about connecting around shared interests, and we are evolving Groups to better align with how you use it today.

New groups can still be formed - Users can continue to connect with others around their common bonds and interests. From animal rescues to sporting and activity groups, civic organizations to local PTAs, members of our Yahoo Groups will remain connected and able to share their activities and interests. All of the content that you have shared previously on the website, can continue to be shared via email.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,577
Posts734,581
Members38,497
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications, MAJORKEY
38,496 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193