Hi all,

I am first and foremost a guitar player, but over the years I wish I sang more. I've been working on it more lately - the first obstacle being to remember all the words in a song.

That said - though it SHOULD be the other way around, I find that I'm singing to fill the empty spots in my guitar playing when indeed the vocals could and should be the focal point of songs with words. This is clearly because my vocals are the weak point in my performances, the area most likely to have noticeable problems, and the fact that I'm not very proud of my voice...a lot to overcome.

I was wondering how many of you are not natural singers, but began singing to allow yourself to perform solo in a more interesting way, and if you ever bothered with singing lessons and found them helpful. Also - curious if you found any online lessons helpful and worth the money.

Another question - because I'm not a singer, I find that at lower volumes (speaking volume and slightly below), I can hit higher notes. I'm guessing this is my lack of training. Clearly a more trained, powerful voice would be preferable, but in the absence of that - are there any singers out there that find their singing through a microphone at lower volumes comes out better than they could do so at higher volumes ?

As always - thanks in advance for sharing.

Last edited by Joe V; 07/30/20 04:35 AM.