Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
B
BFL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi all.
Iam new to this board and despite being a user of Band in a Box for some 2 years, and perhaps at 28 one of the youngest members of this forum, Iam somewhat new to alot of the stuff it can do. I just put in chords and away I go. Thats the fab thing about BIAB - despite me being a singer/songwriter, Iam not so good at playing instruments so BIAB really helps me to put the melodies in my head down.
I want to thank Peter Gannon for creating such an amazing product that really lets peoples creativity shine!

Right, using BIAB and the amazing realtracks (Praise and worship), I created these 2 songs - 'Hand in hand' and 'Please dont cry', both which I wrote about my amazing fiancee. I'll be sure to psot again on this forum.

Please check them out here.
Any critique is welcome!

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/bazleeming

Thank you
Baz.

"....And all the scars I have show that life has taken many turns."

Me.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
baz, they won't play! am i doing something wrong?

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
You've done well on your BIAB arrangements and the songs sound quite nice. Good luck on that upcoming marriage! I noticed a few "plosives" or clipping on Please Don't Cry (see 1:10, 2:14 and 2:57). I would also consider adding some extra instrumentation in the between singing parts -- either lead or background stuff (as in the sections from 0:58-1:07 and 1:44-2:03).

Keep up the good work!

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Baz

Thanks for sharing your tracks!

"Hand In Hand" first impressions:
- The song seems in a key that's too low for your voice, I wonder if a higher key would sound more natural and smoother?
- Some of the melody lines in the chorus don't seem to match with the chords I'm hearing.
- Your vocal isn't 'sitting' in the mix; the backing and your vocal sound entirely separate. Maybe it's because your vocal has no reverb? A trick you might try is to add a tiny bit of reverb to the whole mix, this can sometimes make things sound like they were recorded in the 'same place'.
- The start of the track is abrupt as if the first half second was chopped off?
- Nothing happens between 1:24 and 2:09? It sounds like there should be an instrumental solo in there.

"Please Don't Cry":
- The vocal doesn't sit in the mix - see above.
- There's a big audio glitch at 1:10.
- The dropout of the backing at 2:03 sounds like a glitch; it's as if you edited it instead of using a 'hold chord' or 'shot' in BIAB.
- You have a lot of explosive consonents, some very loud; you need a pop shield.
- The fadeout at 3:05 is far too abrupt and then seems to fade back in, then out?

You obviously put a lot into your music and get a lot out, which is what it's all about.
I hope the above is helpful on your journey!

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Baz,

You are off to a great start! Other than the very solid hints listed above I'd add that I would like to hear a little more stretch/edge in the vocals and maybe by choosing a higher key that would force you to stretch for some of those notes. What that should do is punctuate the melody a bit more by adding more expression to your phrasing.

You done good! Keep up the good work and of course keep posting your work here.

PS: Don't make that girl cry . . . I can tell from the song it rips you a new one.

Later,

User Showcase
B
BFL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you all for your fab comments and feedback. Listening back to the tracks, I can see what you all mean and Iam going to take a little time over the next few days to re-record the songs with your comments in mind. I appreciate you all taking the time to listen and critique and Ill be sure to post more songs as I make them : )

Baz.

Me.
User Showcase
B
BFL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Quote:

baz, they won't play! am i doing something wrong?

Did you get them to play Don?

Me.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
First of all, a Forum suggestion
I’m not sure if it is ‘official policy’ on this board, but it may make things easier to feature just one track on each thread.

That way, we all know that comments there refer to the same single piece.

That said Baz, my comments below refer to Please Don’t Cry.

This is an engaging lyric, expressed in the present and 1st person which makes it all seem very live and conversational.

Also you have understood the need for contrast, with the drum + voice section.

However, this is an unequal vocal performance. Some parts are good (had me thinking of Lloyd Cole) but too much of this is uncertain.

For example– against the drum only backdrop (02:07) you’re going up to the 2nd note of the scale in the first lines of the verse “We’re in the rain..”

But in other places you seem to be aiming for the maj 3rd.

Some of the phrasing also requires a bit more thought.

For example, you can avoid the rush in the second phrase of the line: “To beat the odds and stand the test of time”
by kicking in with the “and’ immediately after ‘odds’, allowing the next accent to fall naturally on ‘test’.

The line “then to see” I really can’t get where this is going harmonically. It doesn’t ‘fit’ and yet it’s not setting out some deliberate dissonance. Maybe its just me…

Unless you have an absolute killer chord sequence (say Shocking Blue’s Venus) its not usually enough in an interlude to simply run through the chords.

When the piano and slightly OD guitar + organ come in I am left thinking its not more instruments we need, but something more valuable (hooks, fills..) for them to do.

The vocals are really quite undisciplined for a while after the drum interlude. I get the impression that with a few more vocal takes and some judicious selection of the final version used you could make some significant improvements here Baz.

Finally in the ‘Please don’t cry’ lines at the end either the chords need to be amended or the melody does.

There is the potential for a good song here, the areas for you to concentrate on being:
- addition of hooks and fills
- correction of some lines of the melody
- greater accuracy in the vox

Hope this helps Baz.

Marc

User Showcase
B
BFL Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hi Marc.
Thank you for the critique. I totally agree with you suggesting only one song per post so I will adhere to that next time.

Iam very grateful for you listening and giving advice on how I can improve them. In the past, while I have used BIAB for song ideas etc, these were the first two songs Ive recorded vocals with. I was just excited to get them finished that I hadnt gone back and checked if they sounded "right" so I totally agree with each of the parts youve said I could improve on next time. Looking back each makes sense.

Quote:

For example– against the drum only backdrop (02:07) you’re going up to the 2nd note of the scale in the first lines of the verse “We’re in the rain..”

But in other places you seem to be aiming for the maj 3rd.

Sorry for not fully understanding but Iam not entirely sure what you mean in this particular instance.

Baz.

Me.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Baz, what a good start you have; you are a good songwriter.

I do agree with everything that has been said. Skyline did hit the nail on the head. You do need a pop-screen for your mic as they do help with the explosive consonants. A pop-screen is a must buy for all recording vocalists. All of John’s advice was right on the money.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Baz, what a good start you have; you are a good songwriter.

I do agree with everything that has been said. Skyline did hit the nail on the head. You do need a pop-screen for your mic as they do help with the explosive consonants. A pop-screen is a must buy for all recording vocalists. All of John’s advice was right on the money.

Hi Baz,

Welcome to our forum.

I agree with the guys above me. They were all very helpful when I started some years ago here. Just practise and keep posting your songs and eventually you will hear you're getting better every song. MarioD was also very right: I can hear the talent you have for songwriting!

CHeers,

Superbron

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
www.soundclick.com/superbron
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,531
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200