Page 1 of 2 1 2
#144400 12/31/11 01:18 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Finally finished.

I'm The One

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like it quite a bit.

1. There is a hum. You hear it at the start. Whack that hum.
2. Vocals, push them harder.

the harmonies are cool.

The bit around 3:00 is very realistic. I'd try to get that sound more often in your mix. Could even be a shorter version.

BUT WAIT: You were the new guy we tried to calm down and suddenly you post great music and you have over 1000 posts and are an EX-purt. Great going.

So if you were messing with things and there was no pg-music around, when would you have gotten a song like that this far?

John Conley
Musica est vita
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
eddie, you may want to scribble this on the "oothoos" wall because i agree with john. the vox is buried in there somewhere. the backing tracks seem heavily squashed (compressed) so don't apply more compression there, just your vocal track. nice voice, by the way. if you agree that the vox needs to be out front more then just redo the vocal track and repost. the song is a smidgeon long but lady antebellum has several that are 5+ minutes and it hasn't hurt her even a little bit. it's not so long as to be fatiguing to the listener's ears.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Don: ...but lady antebellum has several that are 5+ minutes and it hasn't hurt her even a little bit. ....

Which ones are over 5 minutes? I just brought up most of their "top tracks" portfolio on Rhapsody and I only see one listed that is over 5 minutes . It is "Hello World" and I don't think it was a radio single. The "Hello World" song sounds pretty good! I had never heard it before -- it is sung by the male singer in the band.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
We're not ganging up here, Eddie. I like the song . . .very reminiscent of the Marshall Tucker Band, except you have no flute. You need some clarity in your voice - maybe try rolling off under 125. What I do is test my mixes using Windows Media Player and its graphic equalizer, making sure to roll-off rather than add on frequency clutter when I try to pick out problem areas.

You once said you did not have a country voice - sounds authentic Mason-Dixon line.

Liked the song and solos you've edited. Happy New Year - Ian

What a shock on your link page! I actually saw your picture again - what an improvement over that checkerboard door on the PG Forum.

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Geez Ian, I thought you'd recognize a snow storm on the Ottawa River. I wish I could still skate. Everyone should skate on the river/canal in Otter wah.

John Conley
Musica est vita
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
That QR code is still there only because no matter what I try, the function in my settings panel will not change it. I have tried to upload a real picture at least a dozen times and it appears to go through but the avatar never changes.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I had to make the picture smaller than the size it mentioned.

John Conley
Musica est vita
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
I took it down to as far as 10x10 and can not get rid of the old one. This has been an issue I have seen reported many time since I joined the forums. I even took my avatar off, logged out, logged back in, uploaded the new one, and the old one came back.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Weird or what.

I'll try. I think also there was sumpin about bmp / jpg / jpeg but I can't scratch my head too much I might lose hair (insert MORE there).

John Conley
Musica est vita
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Which ones are over 5 minutes? I just brought up most of their "top tracks" portfolio on Rhapsody and I only see one listed that is over 5 minutes . It is "Hello World" and I don't think it was a radio single. The "Hello World" song sounds pretty good! I had never heard it before -- it is sung by the male singer in the band.

Kevin

there was a thread on the subject of acceptable song length on this forum about a month back. i listen to lady antebellum a lot on pandora and had noticed several 5+ minute songs but i have already forgotten the titles or albums. my point was: a 4+ minute song need not be its death nell. look at ccr's "hoid it true da grapevine." iirc, the uncut version was over 11 minutes but that was in the days of vinyl and the all night djs would spin that then head for the oothoos so it got an inordinate amount of air play. nab cartridges ended that game then canned (tinned) digital discs drove the final nail in the coffin.

today, the ideal song length is a function of "cyber acoustics" (qv). in other words, when do the listener's ears begin to tire and want to move on. john may argue that beethoven's 5th symphony is 50 minutes long. however, it provides a constant change in acoustic stimuli.

young listeners seem content with trace-like music that is very repetitive. i don't think that's what you are trying to do with your music. so, the question remains: what is the ideal song length?

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
The right length? One famous Nashville writer whose name escapes me once said: Only a fool takes longer than 3 minutes to tell a story. No malevolent intent here, Eddie I think it flows nicely.

Don, I think the length is somewhere between "Hey I want to hear that again" and "Phew . . . it's over."
Ralph Murphy would say: whatever holds the listener between the Coke commercial and the McDonald's commercial in drive-time radio.
In other words - there's no set answer. Google Ralph Murphy and read his columns that you find - interesting reading . . . if you're creating for Nashville. Also Shortcuts to Hit Songwriting by Robin Fredericks.

Happy and Successful New Year, folks.

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It just came to me. Ian and John. 2 Deaf guys giving advice on a music mix. Ain't we smart.

Having songs a certain length varies in history.

Many gatherings had a time limit.

At a dance every tune had to be dancible, and if it was fast it couldn't be too long, the square dancers got dizzy going round so why where they square?

Anyways DJ's loved the long songs, it was same pay less talk.
And the commercials dictated length.

Taste. It has to sort of come close. Don't let it get too hairy, and make me want to hear it again and again...right?

John Conley
Musica est vita
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Thanks for the hearty chuckle my friend. Shhh! No-one else has to know.

D'ya think we oughta post a warning with our sound advice????

Used to be in the 60s that I know of that any song over 3 min got additional royalties from radio play - which the stations hated to pay.

Are you still at the lake, John? See any brass monkeys running around screaming???

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Very nice song! Way to start out the new year! Thanks for sharing!

My Music

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nope: Back in balmy London where it's 41 on the foreign heat scale. My grandson who's not yet 3 messed with my indoor outdoor electronic gizmo and now it's in F. I have to ask him back to fix it, I can't figure it out. Seems I'm dumber than a 2 year old.

Hey Ian an high Jack! for sure eh:

Association of Adult Musicians with Hearing Loss

Check that out.

John Conley
Musica est vita
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Apologies Eddie.

Ian

Hey, your visage has returned - good to see you again!

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Finally finished. ...

When you say you are "finished", does that mean that you don't want suggestions/comments? As always, when you get opinions on songs, they will be all over the map -- you have to pick and choose what makes sense for your needs. Here are might thoughts on this tune.

I know I can come across as too negative, but I really hope it is considered more "clinical". I know your stated goal is to get a "cut", so I approach a critique on your stuff from that perspective -- where everything has to be pretty much perfect. But like I tell everyone -- I am not hit writer or super songwriter. So use my advice at your own risk.

1.) You do a mighty fine job blending instruments together. Nothing is too dominating and the lead parts are well placed.

2.) It can't be "finished" with the click start still in there -- ha, ha!

3.) How many tracks are in there -- and what is your panning? Everything seems sort of centered to me. Go here, http://www.billboard.com/charts/country-songs#/charts/country-songs -- these are the top country songs on the billboard charts. Listen to as many as you can (some you can't play here). Notice how far apart some of the instruments are, so they easily stand out. Of course, there is probably some serious EQ sculpting going on also, so the instruments don't collide with each other in the sonic spectrum.

4.) Remove all the effects from your lead vocal -- it sounds like you are in a tin can and it pushes the vocal too far to the back. If you want effects, copy your lead vocal, pan it a bit, add effects to that, offset it ~20-30 ms and turn the volume way down on that track. This will add depth and effects without being "too" much". Again listen to where the lead vox sits on those country hits. That's what folks expect/like to hear.

5.) Shoot the drummer (ha, ha). What happened at 0:59, 1:35-1:36 and every stop in the music? The drummers clunks one a little out of time every time (lot to be said for consistency -- and a lot of it is bad)

6.) Are those auto-harmonies starting at 4:08? -- remove them, they just don't fit in that I can tell. Your "real" harmonies sound good -- keep doing that.

7.) Yup, try and shave another minute off us this one.

8.) OK, my main issue with this tune is that there seems to be way, way too many words -- do you ever take a breath??? The lyrics aren't here, so I can't point out some examples -- but it is almost all the way through. You probably should consider going through and cutting out 1/3 of the words (which will help with the length).

Just a few ideas, Use as you see fit.

Kevin

P.S. Just don't look at my songs to see if I follow these rules -- it's easier to tell someone else to do these things than to actually do them yourself!

Last edited by Kemmrich; 01/01/12 12:34 PM.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Used to be in the 60s that I know of that any song over 3 min got additional royalties from radio play - which the stations hated to pay.

ian, i think that you may have nailed it! it's all governed (prime ministered) by the almighty looney!

another thing that takes the song's length out of the "composer's" hands is the internal mathematics of the overall process. a 32-bar tune at 85 bpm and 3 choruses is about 4 minutes in length and that's more-or-less written in stone. not much we can do about that.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Quote:

When you say you are "finished", does that mean that you don't want suggestions/comments?

Only a fool closes his mind and ears to suggestion and constructive criticism.

Quote:

It can't be "finished" with the click start still in there

Finished as in "All the parts together in a semi intelligable collective"

Quote:

How many tracks are in there -- and what is your panning? Everything seems sort of centered to me.

8, and everything is indeed dead center.

Quote:

Remove all the effects from your lead vocal -- it sounds like you are in a tin can and it pushes the vocal too far to the back.

This track in this take suffers from "equalizus over effectsus" disease. I tried to EQ the vocals using a plug in effect. This was before I have my MOTU working and can now mix outside the software like I want to. Unfortunately there is no "remove all the bad attempts to EQ" button on Real Band that I am aware of. I plan to someday sing it again dry and direct into the interface.

Quote:

Shoot the drummer (ha, ha). What happened at 0:59, 1:35-1:36 and every stop in the music?

Those pick ups ARE a little late. My fingers on the drum machine keys ain't what they used to be.

Quote:

Are those auto-harmonies starting at 4:08?

They are indeed vocoder.

Quote:

Your "real" harmonies sound good -- keep doing that.

Those were also vocoder.

Quote:

My main issue with this tune is that there seems to be way, way too many words

I will respond to this section by recalling a scene from Amadeus where Mozart was told that there seemed to be "too many notes" in one of his pieces. He presented the score to "his majesty" and asked "Which ones would you like me to take out?"

The story of the song is what it is, and I can't take words out of a story.

By the shores of Gitche Gumee
By the shining Big-Sea-Water
Stood the wigwam of Nokomis
Daughter of the Moon, Nokomis.

Should we shorten that to "Down by the big lake was a tent with a broad in it"?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,558
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200