User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast

Living in The Music City
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
don't hold back, Mike... tell us what you REALLY think!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Recording is great and the use of BIAB is good too, but really, it's too soon for this song. (And besides, he might have been totally mentally ill. Will he burn in Hell for being sick? Don't take it personally, just saying.)

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
yeah...my wife cautioned me about posting the song. Again, not intended to offend, and I know wounds are still very wide open on this, so I should've just not put it out there.

Points well taken...

Living in The Music City
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Mike, first, thanks for listen and comments on my latest song.

I wasn't advocating for you to remove your song. It was well done. And, besides, freedom of speech dictates that you have the right to voice your opinion. But I understand your removing it too. I sounded great.

My music can be heard at: The Cracks
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Also remember that not everybody believes there is a heaven and hell....

And from the political side, nobody mentally ill can plan a military operation like he planned. Remmber, he had his apartment booby trapped, as in "I plan to get killed during this and won't return so I need to destroy the evidence."

But this is a music forum. I'll save that for CNN....

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
I don't appreciate this post. There are plenty of other places you can express your opinions and feelings on this subject. Song or no song, this is out of line.

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I don't appreciate this post. There are plenty of other places you can express your opinions and feelings on this subject. Song or no song, this is out of line.

Bob

it's a slippery slope when we start telling people they aren't allowed to say things we don't like.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

It is the nature of songs to express the opinion of the song writer. It is the nature of opinions not to have universal acceptance.

The forum is for the posting of original songs, and this is an original song.

None of us has the perfect point of view by which all other points of view are to be judged. The standard reply when people want to censor TV programming is "If you don't like it, don't watch it"

In a free society opinions may be expressed openly, even unpopular ones. When that ceases to be true, it is no longer a free society.

my 2 cents. YOMV

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Quote:

Bob

it's a slippery slope when we start telling people they aren't allowed to say things we don't like.

Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.

It is the nature of songs to express the opinion of the song writer. It is the nature of opinions not to have universal acceptance.

The forum is for the posting of original songs, and this is an original song.

None of us has the perfect point of view by which all other points of view are to be judged. The standard reply when people want to censor TV programming is "If you don't like it, don't watch it"

In a free society opinions may be expressed openly, even unpopular ones. When that ceases to be true, it is no longer a free society.

my 2 cents. YOMV

I don't dispute his right to express his opinions, or his right to freedom of speech. I just don't think this is the place to do it. Besides that, it's insensitive and provocative at this point in time and at the very least, in poor taste.

Bob

Bob

User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Guys,

I see both sides of the argument. While I might lean towards freedom of speech, I realize that I'm not hosting this site, and if the song has offended anyone, then I will respect their wishes. As such. I have removed the song link.

Doesn't much matter to me weather someone believes in Heaven or Hell, believes in the death penalty or not, or whether they believe the perp was or was not insane....this was an expression of how some "might" feel in the wake of such a horrible event. Expression of the "feeling" is what I aspire to achieve, not political/social commentary or attempts to force others to believe as I believe. To be honest, personally, I'm not even certain I'm in favor of the death penalty...

Anyways, again my sincerest apologies to anyone who feels the material was inappropriate. I do understand why you would feel that way. I certainly never intended to create any controversy here, and hope the spirit of musical expression will continue without negative distraction ...

Living in The Music City
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Interesting that the offended party has a quote from an adult film star as his signature file....

Had this gone down in another state and not been close to home, would you still be offended?

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

Interesting that the offended party has a quote from an adult film star as his signature file....

Had this gone down in another state and not been close to home, would you still be offended?

Jamie Gillis was initially a mainstream actor and this quote applies to practically any human endeavor. As such it is used as literary irony. Interesting that you're only aware of his later work. A fan perhaps?

Insensitiveness is in poor taste no matter the zip code. And thanks for making my point about the provocative nature of the post.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Eddie,

That comes off as a personal attack like you are baiting Bob to pick a fight. His choice of a quote in his signature file has nothing to do with this song discussion.

I like both you guys and I'd hate to see this spiral into something it shouldn't between you two. Why not just let it go.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Bob

Josie, this is the original post, containing the words "I don't appreciate this post."

I don't appreciate any post containing a quote from someone in "that" industry.

Is his "I don't appreciate" worth more than mine?

I am out of this one and will block that user so I don't see his posts.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I don't dispute his right to express his opinions, or his right to freedom of speech. I just don't think this is the place to do it. Besides that, it's insensitive and provocative at this point in time and at the very least, in poor taste.

Bob

1) censorship always begins with a rational explanation of why certain things cannot be said (but that still doesn't justify censorship)

2) Comparing true liberty to a semblance of liberty that restricts words and behavior to certain "allowable" places is like comparing an untethered dog to one that is tied to a tree. The ability to move about in a restricted space is not my idea of liberty

And once that definition of liberty becomes law, the leash tends to get shorter and shorter until it becomes a noose.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
BTW, I respect your right to protest as much as I respect Mike's right to say the things that you protest.

Whether or not we agree with what another man says, we should defend to the death his right to say it.

Healthy protest leads to dialog. Dialog leads people to rethink. Mike willingly rethought his position and removed the song as a result of your protest. We didn't need a rule or law to get consensus. In my mind, there is a big difference between open disagreement and censorship.

In open dialog, both opinions are allowed. In censorship, only the opinion of the party with the biggest gun is allowed.

I recently read a book on oppression in North Korea, based on interviews with people who had fled to the South. It's a very eye-opening book... I can't imagine anyone reading it then advocating opinion control

The name of the book is NOTHING TO ENVY
http://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Envy-Ordinary-Lives-North/dp/0385523904

It's reminiscent of Orwell's 1984, only real life and current. Just because it happens to other people doesn't make it fiction.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Here’s a different take on it. I didn’t listen to the song. It was already deleted. I wouldn’t have listened to the song if it was still up.

Trying to silence people for their views is NEVER a good idea. If my neighbor was a member of the KKK, I really don’t want to have to sneak over and peek in his basement window to find out. I’d rather he/she display it proudly on their front porch.

Then I’d know who I was dealing with. It wouldn’t mean their ideas had merit. It would simply mean everyone else would know this persons views.

Maybe if the piece of human debris who shot the people in CO had felt free to talk about his screwed up ideas, then maybe someone could have stopped him before he acted.

Forget heaven or hell. Use a little common sense and don’t try to police thought and the expression of it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
very well said, Bob!
I agree!

which prompts me to add:

You have a way of putting a complex thought into very succinct sound bytes. That is highly desirable in lyric-writing. I hope you are using this talent musically.

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I am not sure how you support "free speech" and anti-censorship by trying to silence Hawgly from expressing his opinion (ha, ha).

By the way, first amendment rights don't really apply here on this privately owned message board.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

I am not sure how you support "free speech" and anti-censorship by trying to silence Hawgly from expressing his opinion (ha, ha).

but I DIDN'T forbidhis opinion. In the spirit of free dialogue, I merely offered an opposing point of view

Quote:

By the way, first amendment rights don't really apply here on this privately owned message board.

1st amendment rights aren't the point of this discussion. Did I say anything about 1st amendment rights? No, I didnm't. Your objection is a classic example of turning the discussion into a different question altogether in order to mmuddy the logic.

My point is repeatedly over and over in all of these discussions that when you start repressing what people can say and where they can say it, it doesn't change extreme attitudes, it only sends them underground looking for another way to vent. In my opinion, those who push for the silence of another point of view believe that point of view has more credibility than their own, and so they want to limit what others can hear to include only what the stifler likes to hear. It is a form of thought control and that is not a good thing.

Please read the book I mentioned then come back with your thoughts.

By the way, I understand that you are not a lone in your thinking, and that all points of view should have a means of expression. I'm glad you speak up. Dialog is good. Repression, not so much.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,570
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200