Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#195574 02/22/13 06:00 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure I have yet to present this one in this forum. I skipped it, because I knew it needed more work and was not near ready for public consumption. I am still smoothing out the rough edges on it, but I am feeling adventurous enough to go ahead and give it some spotlight. Once again, all BIAB, save for the main rhythm guitar. Suggestions, always welcome. Might need some java for this, it's lengthy.

Visions

Can you see yourself, at where you want to be?
In that little world, you visit constantly?
You start wondering, just what's in your reach,
'Cos you really believe, you deserve to be free.

But they're only visions, of what you can be.
Yeah, they're only visions, a bunch of mixed-up dreams,
That I just can't put together, 'cos there's a missing piece,
But they're something to treasure. They're something to achieve.

I see myself on top, and I feel brand new.
I see the people laugh, and I see them cry too.
And I just have to smile, 'cos it makes me feel good,
To feel them want you, and to be understood.

So I'm watching all the people, and how they operate,
Treating them as ethereal, and purging any hate.
Improving my tolerance, loving my enemies,
And if I live through it, I'll get there someday,

I'll never stop believing, that I'm not ordinary,
And I've got to live that vision, before I fade away.

pariahdise #195575 02/23/13 05:48 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi RG,

Although this is not a genre that I'm very familiar with, I've got to hand it to you. This is a very heartfelt and sincere presentation on every level. The backing you've put together worked for me. It's inventive and well mixed. I'm curious, have you tried lifting the vocals a tad, say about 1 - 2 dB? They sounded a little back into the mix on my speakers. As I've already said, I'm not familiar with this genre and I know that some styles have vocals more as part of the background than foreground. If that's the case here, please ignore my comment. I'm only mentioning it in case it's useful

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
pariahdise #195576 02/23/13 05:55 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi rg i would raise the vocals as well good mix though thanks for sharing eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
F.M.M. #195577 02/24/13 03:39 AM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I know what you are saying, Noel. And I understand how if I am not overly fond of a given style of a submission here, that it sometimes can be tough for me to listen all the way through, or to comment. I listen to maybe 90% more songs posted here, than I decide to offer up an opinion on. So, although this song hasn't generated much feedback here, I am nonetheless very pleased with how this recording came out.

I will increase the volume of the vocals.

pariahdise #195578 02/24/13 06:07 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I would go the other way -- try lowering the level of the backing tracks first. Real nice energy rise in the chorus (with the extra vocals helping, too). Overall it's pretty good. At 6:42 it is way too long -- but I know that is super subjective. A song should be as long as it has to be. For me, just under 4 minutes is where my attention started to waver.

A song that I like a lot is Mrs. Potter Lullaby and it comes in at 7:45 so I am not morally opposed to longer tunes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdt58T366xw

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
Kemmrich #195579 02/24/13 07:06 AM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Damn. I just got through raising the vocals I will see if it helps or hurts later on. I've got three likes on Soundcloud and that is 3 more than just about every other song I have posted there. I agree it's a long song, but I also agree whole-heartedly that a song should be as long as need be.

pariahdise #195580 02/24/13 04:33 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds good. Nice job on this.

Bob

rsdean #195581 02/24/13 06:19 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you, Bob. Although I probably don't mention it often enough, much credit must be given to PG Music for my recordings, and especially in regard to this particular song. BIAB, has literally brought it to life.

pariahdise #195582 02/24/13 08:44 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Nice song RG. I have a couple of speakers set up, as well as different headphones. On some of them, your vocals were too far back to where I couldn't understand all the words. On other speakers/headphones, they sounded fine. So I guess that explains some of the comments. But I did enjoy the song.

Thanks for sharing it.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
Steve Young #195583 02/24/13 09:47 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks for listening, Steve. When Noel suggested I raise the volume by 1 or 2 db, I went with 2, then when Kemmrich commented I cut them back by 1. So I compromised I had no problem hearing the vocals clearly and loudly enough to start with, so the 1db will do for me.

pariahdise #195584 02/25/13 12:29 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry, just got around to this one and as I see most has already been said.

You did an overall good job with this song but with this said I too did not get all the words especially towards the ending. And also (for me anyway) any song over 3.5 minutes had really be a blockbuster or have me locked into the story line biting my nails. . . but I have been told I may have an attention span issue.

I have been listening to your songs on soundcloud since you joined the forum and I can see great advances from your first to where you are now.

Again IMHO, overall this was a very good effort.

Later,

Danny C. #195585 02/25/13 04:26 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I appreciate your time, Danny.

Well, I trial run my songs here and if they flop miserably, then I pull them down from public view and ask myself what I need to do better. Usually, it's my singing, which is lacking, next it is my production. I've also been known to private message someone here and seek their advice as well. So if my songs get better as I go, then this forum is the reason why. The only thing I can say that I have learned on my own as far as recording a song goes, is that I can't trust my own ears.

I will have a new look at the vocal.

pariahdise #195586 02/25/13 04:56 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
RG,

As has been said... your productions are gettin' better all the time. The raw energy in both the instrumentation and the vocal is something few of us can achieve. It reminds of of early Stones. Certainly do not want to tell you "how to do your thing", but I think you could eliminate a lot of "pauses" that happen in this song, without it changing much at all, and make it flow better... and therefore keep your listener attached more easily.
Just my opinion, of course. Interseting lyrics, as always...
floyd

floyd jane #195587 02/25/13 05:23 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Hmm. Will consider your suggestions, floyd, as always

pariahdise #195588 02/25/13 07:14 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I had a couple listens to the song, and I think the other posters have identified both the strengths and weaknesses of the song.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'll suggest that the key to mixing is clarity: making sure that the important stuff isn't buried. Here's an approach that you might consider.

First, turn the faders on all the tracks down to zero.

Choose a section to start with - usually the loudest is the trickiest, so you might start with that.

Pick the most important track. When in doubt, choose the vocals. Turn the volume up until it's at a good point.

Now, pick the next most important track. Again, bring the fader on that track up until it's loud enough. Since it's not as important as the prior track, make sure that it's quieter than the prior track(s).

That's the key idea: as wonderful as a particular track is, it should support the tracks above it. If it's ever competing, you need to fix it.

Now, listen though the section with the track you've added, and look for places where you can cut the instrument. It may be a lovely fingerpicked guitar, but in terms of the mix, perhaps having it only play at the spaces between the lyrics might make sense. So everywhere else, remove it.

As you add things, don't turn any track up - turn other tracks down, or where there are two things fighting, figure out which is most important, and turn down (or off) the less important track.

Continue to the next track, always asking the question: does this instrument really need to be playing during this section? Where can it be dropped and not make a difference?

Each added track should be less prominent than the prior.

Less is always more.

There's obviously a lot more to mixing than that, but that single idea of making sure that more important tracks never get masked will get you a lot closer to a clear mix.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
dcuny #195589 02/25/13 07:22 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I will copy your suggestions and put them in my notes folder from this forum, which resides on my desktop.

Thanks, David, for the listen.

pariahdise #195590 02/26/13 11:24 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
David. I also appreciate your mixing tips and would be interested to know, generally, what order you would go in if, say, you had vocals, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, rhythm piano, bass and drums (in a very simple case)

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
JoanneCooper #195591 02/27/13 10:31 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It's a bit long BUT the emotion of the song and your "indie" sound drew me in. I listen to lots of different genres of music. I like that this is so uniquely you. Not perfect but doesn't necessarily have to be. Hot indie music today is intentionally not recorded perfectly going more for a genuine and sometimes quirky raw feel.

So while I agree that you are improving in your productions - the song - this one is a good universal one - has much to do with it as well. I would encourage you to press on improving your productions and songs but with an ear to keeping that cool natural indie edginess and feel you have.

Sundance #195592 02/28/13 06:28 AM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Yesiree, edgy is me, usually.. Till I zap me daily Zanex anyway Trust me when I say, that anything I record is 'unintentionally' not recorded perfectly. It's just that I am not going to let my lack of perfectness stop me from being heard. I try to do everything as best I can with what I equipment and ability I have, of course, then I accept my imperfections, by choosing to look at them more as distinctions.

Thanks, Josie

JoanneCooper #195593 02/28/13 09:38 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

David. I also appreciate your mixing tips and would be interested to know, generally, what order you would go in if, say, you had vocals, lead guitar, rhythm guitar, rhythm piano, bass and drums (in a very simple case)

I'm really not an expert at this, in any sense. I have read quite a bit (and played around with it), so I guess I can pretend to be one on the internet!

The suggestion that I gave came from one of the last books I'd read on mixing. A "pro" can wing it a lot more, but for a beginner, the author (sorry, I forget the book title) suggested this as a good approach that gives consistent results. I tried it myself, and was pleased with the results.

One thing I'm not sure I communicated well is that you mix in sections, so each section may get a different treatment. The author suggested was starting with the loudest section, because most of the sections of that type (verse, chorus) will be mixed similarly. To achieve contrast, you follow the general plan of the "loud" section, but remove tracks to make that section quieter. It's an easy way to get continuity and contrast.

As for the order you do the tracks, it really depends on the style, and what you're trying to achieve. I'd suggest that vocals should always be most important, because that's what most songs are about. The author (of the book that I still can't remember the title of) said there isn't any set order of instruments, because each song is different.

However... Most pros suggest using reference tracks - advice I need to start follow myself! Critical listening to other people's mixes will bring a lot more awareness to what you're doing.

But when in doubt, always trust your ears. That's the key to anything musical.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but if anyone else has good suggestions about what's worked for them, feel free to chime in!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,582
Posts734,689
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200