Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OIL ON THE WATER

A song I wrote about the BP oil spill from the Deepwater horizion oil rig and the events surrounding it.

Guitar is live most other tracks are BB/RB.

Enjoy

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Nice work Herb!! I'm guessing that's the "Dire" guitar patch. Very cool feel-a little Neil Young in there! Keep it up. Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Like this Herb. A working man/industrial type song with a dark atmosphere. Cheers.

Last edited by RichMac; 04/20/14 02:48 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Really like that guitar picking Herb, was that you or Dire?

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for listening. I had to listen carefully to this on my mp3 player to answer the questions accurately.

Drums and bass as well as dobro are from BB/RB

The acoustic guitar is me strumming in the background. I also play the electric guitar with the lead parts. So yeah, all the guitars in this is me playing them. Mark K from Dire Straits was a picker who had a major influence on my playing style. Notice my forum name? I try.

Perhaps I should consider making some of those there things called "User Tracks" with my lead picking...... in this style...???? Actually that's been something I've had on the back burner for some time..... it's more of a matter of getting the time to sit down and do it.

Glad you liked it.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/21/14 05:09 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Herb,

great guitar playing.
Nice production.

Guenter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert

Nicely sung and very well played. Yes you're wearing your DS influence on your sleeve but I see no harm in that. If there's one of your various crafts that would need developing then in my view it would be that of lyricist.

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nice production, the bottom end is filled out quite nicely:)

DA...

Hp Z Workstation - Akai MPK 49 - Intimate Headphone Listening http://soundcloud.com/digital-angel
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent song. The oil spill was an eye opener for everyone. Can't forget these catastrophe's and allow complacency to set in. Excellent sing and playing....

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb, Good story song on an important subject. Very good vocal and the mix is spot on. Nice picking also. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I didn't know what aspect of that event was worse.... the initial disaster and spill, or the politics played regarding the bungled cleanup attempt.

It was the frustration of seeing the politicians use that disaster for their own political agendas rather than placing politics aside, working as public servants, and getting the situation under control and cleaned up as quickly as possible, that resulted in the concept to write this song.

People on the streets simply wanted it stopped and cleaned up while the pols were playing games and letting the oil flow unchecked for weeks.

So I did what I could and wrote a song about it.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Herb,

Sounds good. Well mixed. I think you would have been better off without the Mark Knopfler imitation - it is such a distinctive style you can't hear it without thinking "he's doing Mark Knopfler.." the doubled solo and the guitar fills after that are not derivative - so they aren't distracting from your message - so I think they work better for the song.

There is a real Neil Young quality to the lyric - stuff pulled from several different directions and those kind of shotgun accusations without real explanations so the listener has to fill things in or make up their own story - worked for Neil... a lot of interesting images along the way..

A good flow to the sound (although that last chord cuts kind of abruptly)

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Floyd, thanks.

I didn't really set out to imitate MK. It may have turned out that way but that wasn't part of the plan. I was simply trying to create a part on the guitar that would fit and be a bit haunting in it's feel. Hence, the reverse bends in a few places.

I read an interview with MK in GP mag. A comment he made really stuck with me. Something to the effect that it's not so much what you play, although that is important, but what you don't play, that really sets your playing apart and imparts feel into the music. That has stuck with me and I try to be tasty with the licks as opposed to packing as many notes into a given limited time as is possible....although I do admire the pickers who can shred the fretboard.

I was into the twin leads thing when I recorded this.... still love a sweet twin, but have backed off a bit.

Yeah... I was just trying to tell the story as I saw it from my POV.

Thanks for the listen.

BTW: Be watching, I'm writing a new one now, lots of cool things in it (licks on tele and taylor) and some production things that you don't hear very often in this forum.... I tried a few new things and they are working pretty nicely..... Still actually in the writing stages, but I have a mock up of the song done... but I'm not releasing anything until the writing is done and it's properly recorded. It could be epic..... or not. We'll see.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 04/23/14 05:11 AM.

www.herbhartley.com

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like that MK quote. My favorite bluegrass rhythm player once told me "it took me 2 years to learn all the runs and 20 years to learn when not to do them."

It was sad watching the spill fiasco play out in the news. I finally gave up on the talking heads and started reading local papers on the net -- real folks' stories of how they were affected, etc. That really brought it home. And, I suppose the environmental damage will take decades to play out.

I enjoyed the song and agree with floyd re the Neal Young vibe. Great mix too!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Herb,
Great song! Thanks for writing it and performing it so well.
This hits pretty close to home for me because where I work. Let's just say the story your telling is right on the money.

SD

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
That one hits close to home here too. I was working on a levee project just below New Orleans when this happened. (As fate would have it, that community, Braithwaite, was completely flooded by Hurricane Isaac in 2012.)

Later on in 2010 I was involved in surveying some marsh and coastal areas, oyster beds, etc. Also started to pen a song, but never got far.

I enjoyed this all around. Another heavy topic you tackled.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Herb !:))

This was really nice !
Everything seemed to
function so smooth on
this track !:)) Just great !:))
I liked your vocals best !:))

Cheers
Dani

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,548
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199