Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
My Old Friend on SoundCloud

My Old Friend on SoundCloud without RealDrums

Hi All

Well, Cheryl and I seem to be on a bit or a roll here so we’ll just keep going.

A good friend of mine asked if I would write her a song for her 50th birthday. She gave a speech at mine a couple of weeks ago and we have known each other for 25 years. We’ve done a lot of things together over the years. Everest base camp, skiing, rafting, canoeing, hiking, not to mention the odd hooli (commonly known as an “opskop” in South Africa). So I am going to be performing this song for her at her party which is on the 9th of August and am also going to be putting together a video with all my old photos for her.

Cheryl kindly composed the music and did the harmonies.

Tracks are
RealTracks in style: ~1136:Bass, Acoustic-Guitar, FolkSwing Sw 110
RealTracks in song: 1146:Fiddle, Background CountrySwing Sw 110 (Outside)
RealTracks in style: ~1142:Ukulele, Strumming FolkSwing Sw 110
RealTracks in style: ~1141:Guitar, Electric, Rhythm CountrySwingCleanPicked Sw 110
RealDrums in style: NashvilleBrushesHillbillySwing: a: Sidestick, Brushesb: Brushes, Stick
Loop:Percussion Loops\Loop132bpm Tambourine Quarters 4 bars
Loop:Percussion Loops\LoopNAbpm Tambourine Shake.wma
RT610:Mandolin, Rhythm Chop Sw 120

Lyrics are:

My old friend
I thought of you today
Down by the river
Thinking what to say

My Old friend
The years all melt away
As I sing this song before you
And the sun shines through today

Chorus
When we are together
So easy and free
I want to sing the colours
That sit inside of me
Built upon the layers
Of kindness and of trust
Together in the silence
You and Me

Verse 2
My old friend
You know where we've been
We multiply the pleasures
While dividing up the pain

My Old friend
As time around us spins
You hold my life together
Like a frame around the wind

Repeat chorus

Bridge
I want to give you more
Than just this melody
To thank you for our journey
And letting me be

Any suggestions for improvements are welcome as I only need to perform it on the 9th August and have not yet made the video.

(Edited to add a version with no realdrums as per Alyn's suggestion)

Last edited by JosieC; 07/31/14 09:08 AM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
JoiseC
That reminded me, at first listen of Peter, Paul and Mary but without Peter and Paul and with 2 Mary's!!

The uke fits perfectly for the song but I think that the RealDrums detract and the song would sound great, IMHO, with just the percussion loops or even no percussion.
Your voice is good , as always.

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Josie & Cheryl !:))

This was so sweet and nice
brought good memories back
from the past and tears
to my eyes !:))

I liked it very much and
as you know, I have a flair
for those harmony vocals !!:))
Splendid job !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: gibson
JoiseC
The uke fits perfectly for the song but I think that the RealDrums detract and the song would sound great, IMHO, with just the percussion loops or even no percussion.
Your voice is good , as always.

Alyn

Hi Alyn. Thanks for the suggestion. I have uploaded a version without the Realdrums. I quite like it...

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dani48
Hi, Josie & Cheryl !:))

This was so sweet and nice
brought good memories back
from the past and tears
to my eyes !:))

I liked it very much and
as you know, I have a flair
for those harmony vocals !!:))
Splendid job !

Cheers
Dani

Hi Dani. Thanks so much. It did have a Dani-esque touch to it.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another winner from JoiseC! You have set a new standard for yourself as I think that this is one of your best to date!

I listened to both versions and the one sans the drums is the best IMHO.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
Hi Josie, another beautiful, intimate song. You and Cheryl do make a great team. Vocals are stellar, as always and they set beautifully in the mix. I listened to both versions and personally preferred the song without drums. Good job and an enjoyable listen.

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Charlie and Mario
Thanks for giving both versions a listen! It certainly is interesting that the one with no drums is both your favourite. Cheryl is keeping an eye on this thread and sent me an email to say she likes the drums but that maybe she is just used to hearing them now.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
JosieC

That sounds wonderful with no drums (sorry Cheryl :>))
It may be me but I can hear her harmonies much clearer now.
Both versions show that it is still a beautiful song tho' cool

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie and Cheryl,

Cheryl needs a supporter: I like the drums version better.
Beautiful harmonies!
You are a perfect team.

Guenter

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
We multiply the pleasures
While dividing up the pain

Really nice writing!! Very pretty and pleasant song, and the harmonies worked perfectly!! I agree the Uke fits great. You two make a great duo. Great work! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
I like both. I can hear it without drums at the front and then have them coming in later to get it rolling. Also you have some nice pauses and maybe you could get the drums to pause with you creating a nice "ahhhh" moment. That's about 4 cents worth (2 x 2 cents of backseat driving/producing smile ).

It is a wonderful song and I always look forward to your tunes and collaborations.

Last edited by nobilis; 08/01/14 06:28 PM.
User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I like this kind of easy going music. The Uke is a cool thing. I will use that instrument on some upcoming song. I will throw in with others who prefer acoustic tunes minus drums. So nice that you have such a friend!

Learn more about my music at:
http://georgeireton.com/music-then-now
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful both ways, I like the one with the drums best.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne,

Very nice job on this. A nice song. Good mix.
I would vote for the drum version, but I would make it be more brushes - without the stick - a little more subtle...

Y'all make a great team.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Joanne,

Very nice job on this. A nice song. Good mix.
I would vote for the drum version, but I would make it be more brushes - without the stick - a little more subtle...

Y'all make a great team.

floyd

Your choice of instruments was very UKEnique. I first heard this wonderful collab on Josie's SJ performance earlier today and the Uke got my interest immediately. Isn't that the whole intent anyway? I dubbed you wonderful ladies as the "Everly Sisters" with the tight sibling harmonies even though you're not related. QED.

I'm anxious to hear your next collaboration. You wonderful ladies are "top shelf!"

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Wonderful! What a sweet song. Everything sounds perfect. I did not hear the version with drums but this version does not seem to be missing a thing.

If I may, I would suggest one thing for you to consider. In the chorus perhaps colors dance inside of you instead of sit? I think it suggests motion and dynamics.

Great song, you two are on a roll for sure!

Last edited by gruverider; 08/03/14 12:03 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joanne and Cheryl,
That's another fine collaboration, very nice vocals and harmonies, which are very well balanced. We like the ukulele and mandolin RT's.
We like the "no drums" version best.
Regards,
R & AM

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie and Cheryl,

Wonderful work! I thoroughly enjoyed listening. Which version is better? I don't know. I'd have to toss a coin!

Also, when I read Lawrence's comment about "colours dance", I thought, "Yep, that works for me, too".

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We're fine with the drums. Floyd's idea of brushes would be neat. This is really sweet heartfelt tribute and we much enjoyed it. And, hey, Everest Base Camp? That is very cool. We have a couple of friends who've done that.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,554
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199