Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#279629 01/12/15 09:47 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Ok here goes. First ever (part) song posted here, so please be gentle!

Song to Mum

Note: This is a couple of excerpts from the song adding up to about 5 mins. The second excerpts starts at around 3 min 55 seconds. See details below for an explanation why the whole song isn’t here.

I had the tune ready pretty quickly but have been writing the lyrics for a couple of months. I decided to bring in BIAB to help with the backing track and speed that side of things up. I have written a few songs over the years but nothing major. In the last year I have been recording lots of covers in Sonar to get up to speed with using it. The question was - what to write for my first major song?

So I decided to write a song about and dedicated to my Mum who is 88 and still going strong. I captured many of my own memories and ideas and also from my three sisters and, of course, from Mum. I decided to write it in chronological order so the song progresses from her birth through to current times.

It starts with a small extract of Chopin (Nocturne No9) as this was a piece that she used to play on piano and practice ballet to. I took the first 15 bars of a MIDI file of this and transposed it up a semitone from Eb to E to match the rest of the song. I have not included it here in case of copyright problems (does anyone know if it would be ok?).

I haven’t posted the whole song here for a number of reasons:-
- It isn’t finished and is already 15 minutes long but will be close to 20 minutes when finished. I guess there are a lot of memories for someone who is 88!
- It is obviously quite a personal song and many of the memories won’t mean much to anyone other than me, my Mum and close family.
- Because of the above it might become boring to other listeners so an excerpt seemed more appropriate. I have posted the first 4 minutes and the break later on in the song.

It’s a rough mix as I am still deaf in my left ear after getting an infection at Christmas.

Here’s the info about the song:
****** Song Summary *************
Key=E , Tempo 68 bpm
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Style is =BAL85_F.STY (Ctry Bal., fpk guit. (85 RT))
BassCustom Synth is Hi-Q 034 01 Bass, Electric, 61 Classic SampleTank.tgs
PianoCustom Synth is Hi-Q 001 01 Piano, Acoustic, Grand SampleTank.tgs
StringsCustom Synth is Hi-Q 050 01 Strings, Ensemble, Movie SampleTank.tgs
Style MIDI Instruments are : Finger Electric Bass (34), Acoustic Piano (1), Slow Strings (50),
RealTracks in style: ~~364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven8^2-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat

****** Other tracks added in Sonar ***********
- Chopin Intro from MIDI file (not present in excerpt)
- Vocals – need some rework in places due to having a cold
- Electric Guitar solo (around 3m 40s)
- Electric Guitar backing (from 3m 24s)
- French Horns backing (from 3m 24s)
- Piccolo between verse and chorus
- SFX – Air raid noises, speech, bombing

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
receder #279657 01/12/15 11:07 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Really pretty music!! So well conceived and arranged. Very 70's vibe-that's my era. How did you do the vocal processing? I just love the feel. I would love to hear more. Beautiful music!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really pretty music!! So well conceived and arranged. Very 70's vibe-that's my era. How did you do the vocal processing? I just love the feel. I would love to hear more. Beautiful music!! Take care. Greg

Greg said it all. We enjoyed it.

And....yep, what's on the vocal?
It has a very airy feel that doesn't
always work. But for this song
We really like it.

Touching tribute!

J&B

User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson

Thanks Greg, your comments are much appreciated. I had the chord progression in my head for ages and thought there was a song in there somewhere but the 70's vibe happened by accident. I'm glad you like the vocal sound. I recorded them using my AKG D5 mic through the Boss BR-800 into Sonar on my PC. I used Melodyne to create the harmony and doubling and Sonitus reverb (I love the sound of this reverb). On the chorus I used the Sonitus delay to create the beat sync'd echo and give it some width. I also added a touch of ProChannel EQ, PC4K S Bus compressor to glue it all together.

Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

Greg said it all. We enjoyed it.

And....yep, what's on the vocal?
It has a very airy feel that doesn't
always work. But for this song
We really like it.

Touching tribute!

J&B

Thanks a lot Janice and Bud, it's great to receive positive comments from such highly respected song writers and singers on here. I did think I had gone over the top with the vocal sound but I wanted some warmth and lightness and it seemed to fit with the backing track. I'm hoping that Mum will like it too smile

Thanks folks for your positive feedback.

Rec

BIAB 2022 UltraPAK, CbB, Studio One 5 Pro, Fender USA Tele, Harley Benton Fusion & others.
receder #279684 01/12/15 02:06 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rec,

beautiful music. Great concept.
The guitar solo is awesome. Is that your's?
Very enjoyable listen.

Guenter

receder #279699 01/12/15 02:54 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wonderful tribute to your mother. The best thing is she is still here to enjoy the tribute. The vocal production is reminiscent of early works by Randy VanWarmer. The music production is superb.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
boehm #279704 01/12/15 03:10 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rec,

What an entrance! Beautiful!

A great flow to the music. The vocal processing is really nice. So is the vocal itself...
Terrific mix. I thought the drums were just a hair soft - a little too far back, so it might be a reverb that is setting them back (but just very slightly).

And Man! NICE guitar work!!!

I can't wait to hear the 20 minute version (how about some lyrics when you do?...)

floyd

receder #279709 01/12/15 03:21 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Receder,
This is music that I relate to...
Great vocals, and what a guitar solo! Nothing wrong with a concept of 20 minutes. If it's ok with copyright I'd love to hear the whole song.
By the way... loved Catweazle back in 1970!
Grtz
Fred

receder #279722 01/12/15 05:31 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Awesome tune. Here a little David Gilmour there. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
receder #279758 01/13/15 03:02 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great first post! I like the concept and it is a great tribute. Super guitar solo. Very well sung. I think the mix is good but as floyd said the drums could come up some. Also a lyric sheet would be nice. I really enjoyed this and look forward to more. Tom

tommyad #279763 01/13/15 03:33 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: boehm
Hi Rec,
beautiful music. Great concept.
The guitar solo is awesome. Is that your's?
Very enjoyable listen.
Guenter

Thanks very much Guenter. Yes it's my solo. I used my Peavey AT-200 in modeled humbucker mode through the BR-800 using the "smooth lead" patch and recorded directly into Sonar. I used this method - record a few "improvised jammed solos" and cherry pick the best bits which I then learn and then re-record that.

Originally Posted By: JimFogle
Wonderful tribute to your mother. The best thing is she is still here to enjoy the tribute. The vocal production is reminiscent of early works by Randy VanWarmer. The music production is superb.

Thanks for your kind words Jim. That's a very good point and it's what spurred me on to get the song finished soon. Very kind of you to compare my voice to Randy VanWarmer - if only! Always loved "Just when I needed you most" - but what a range he has!

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Rec,
What an entrance! Beautiful!

A great flow to the music. The vocal processing is really nice. So is the vocal itself...
Terrific mix. I thought the drums were just a hair soft - a little too far back, so it might be a reverb that is setting them back (but just very slightly).

And Man! NICE guitar work!!!

I can't wait to hear the 20 minute version (how about some lyrics when you do?...)
floyd

Floyd, very kind words of encouragement. Thank you. I agree about the drums and actually think you may be correct regarding the reverb. One of the downsides I found from using the drums RT from BIAB in Sonar is that you don't have anywhere near as much control over the sound as you would using, say, the Addictive Drums VSTi plugin with each percussion instrument on separate tracks. I will see if I can improve it with some tweaking.

Originally Posted By: FredM
Hi Receder,
This is music that I relate to...
Great vocals, and what a guitar solo! Nothing wrong with a concept of 20 minutes. If it's ok with copyright I'd love to hear the whole song.
By the way... loved Catweazle back in 1970!
Grtz
Fred

Lol Fred, glad you remember Catweazle. They don't make them like that any more. Thanks also for your kind comments. I haven't yet found out whether a MIDI piano extract of a classical piece played on a piano plugin (SampleTank 3) would infringe any copyright. No person is actually playing it but maybe Chopin's relatives have copyright over the notes being played?

Originally Posted By: Scottt709
Awesome tune. Here a little David Gilmour there. Well done

Thank you Scott. Funny you should mention Dave Gilmour. The last cover I recorded was Comfortably Numb and he is undoubtedly one of my heroes. The challenge would be to come up with a 2nd solo in my song to come anywhere close to the one in Comfortably Numb.

Originally Posted By: tommyad
Great first post! I like the concept and it is a great tribute. Super guitar solo. Very well sung. I think the mix is good but as floyd said the drums could come up some. Also a lyric sheet would be nice. I really enjoyed this and look forward to more. Tom

Thank you Tommy, much appreciated. I will definitely look into the drums. I am still working on some of the lyrics and changing bits here and there all the time but will post them when finished.

receder #281645 01/23/15 05:10 PM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: receder

It starts with a small extract of Chopin (Nocturne No9) as this was a piece that she used to play on piano and practice ballet to. I took the first 15 bars of a MIDI file of this and transposed it up a semitone from Eb to E to match the rest of the song. I have not included it here in case of copyright problems (does anyone know if it would be ok?).

IMHO you shouldn't worry about copyrights. Chopin's works are in the public domain.
I liked everything in your song, waiting for the completed piece.

receder #281665 01/23/15 10:59 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rec,

Welcome to the forum.

Stunning! Such a beautiful piece of music. Considering you only bought BIAB/RB in December, you've done really, really well to come so far. As floyd said, "what a great entrance!"

This is a wonderful tribute to your mum.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
receder #281668 01/24/15 12:06 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rec,

That is a masterpiece.

The Churchill quote was inspired and then the solo, which was perfect for the break.
WOW what a way to introduce yourself musically.

I wrote a 3 minute song for my Mum, which she sadly never heard due to medical events, but this is a real tribute.

I would love to hear the full final version.

Alyn

gibson #281669 01/24/15 12:34 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: sfiks

IMHO you shouldn't worry about copyrights. Chopin's works are in the public domain.
I liked everything in your song, waiting for the completed piece.

Thanks sfiks, I am just about to upload the latest version including the Chopin intro.

Originally Posted By: Noel96
Hi Rec,

Welcome to the forum.

Stunning! This is such a beautiful piece of music. Considering you only bought BIAB/RB in December, you've done really, really well to come so far. As floyd said, "what a great entrance!"

This is such a wonderful tribute to your mum.

All the best,
Noel

Thanks Noel for your very kind words. It's the good folk here such as yourself that spurred me on to buy BIAB and I am so glad that I did. It's so inspiring as a song writing tool.

Originally Posted By: gibson
Rec,

That is a masterpiece.

The Churchill quote was inspired and then the solo, which was perfect for the break.
WOW what a way to introduce yourself musically.

I wrote a 3 minute song for my Mum, which she sadly never heard due to medical events, but this is a real tribute.

I would love to hear the full final version.

Alyn

Wow, thanks Alyn. That's a true compliment coming from such a gifted songwriter as yourself.
So sorry to hear about your tribute song which your Mum never got to hear.
I am just uploading a new version to Soundcloud although it is still unfinished at just over 13 minutes.

Rec

Last edited by receder; 01/24/15 09:02 AM.

receder #281671 01/24/15 12:52 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I cannot see any way to edit my first post (there is no Edit button available) so here is the link to the latest version of the song...

Song to Mum (Latest Lyrics)

I took Floyd and Tommy's suggestion of bringing the drums more forward in the mix (I had actually sent them to an effects bus with reverb by mistake so well spotted).

receder #281674 01/24/15 01:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
As others have said, love the feel of this - very cool 70s vibe. Great mix as well.

Bob

rsdean #281677 01/24/15 03:15 AM
User Showcase
receder Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: rsdean
As others have said, love the feel of this - very cool 70s vibe. Great mix as well.

Bob

Thanks Bob, much appreciated.

Rec

receder #281736 01/24/15 10:39 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I listened to the 13 min version. Super vibe going on! Definite Pink Floyd elements to my ear. I'm also a fan of the vocal you have affected; it works well with this song.

much enjoyed!

receder #281755 01/24/15 12:27 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Receder,

We are very impressed by your first contribution!
It has some very strong resemblances with the early Pink Floyd (the verse vocal sounds like Richard Wright, the Chorus sounds like David Gilmour).
We listened to the 13 minute version (which is kind of long by the way :)) and we loved the total arrangement, including parts of Churchill's speech. This song definitely represents the feel and sound of the 70's/80's era.

And about using Chopin.... you can use any work of classical composers completely royalty free. We've done it a couple of times. Bare in mind the following:
In America the artist has to be expired at least a hundred years, in Europe seventy years. The same goes for painters etc. (should you ever want to use pictures of paintings in your video's)

Keep up the good work!

Rob and Anne-Marie

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195