Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#303800 07/24/15 02:12 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A half-hearted attempt to write a half-decent song from a half-baked idea.
Took a while to figure out what to name it.

HALF

half the time we laughed together
the other half we cried
half the time i loved her
the other half i tried
halfway through this marriage
something went astray
it took a half-ton pickup
to haul her half away

i stare at half a bottle
half drunk, i'm halfway there
i've half a mind to tell you
i only half-way care
but half this heart is broken
so the other half is too
half the time it seems i'm telling
half-lies, the rest half-truths

it's driving me half crazy
i'm off by half a beat
if i was half the man i thought i was
i'd sweep her off her feet
given half a dozen reasons
on my behalf...her heart might dance
i'd tell her i still love her
if given half a chance

The BAND...
RealTracks in song: 1036:Bass, Electric, NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2231:Piano, Rhythm 80sPopBallad Ev 085
RealTracks in song: ~1676:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 065
RealTracks in song: ~364:Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 065
MIDI SuperTracks in song: 2058:Strings, Rhythm CelticAir Ev 085

Hope you enjoy it.
Comments encouraged.
Half at it.

floyd

floyd jane #303803 07/24/15 02:42 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Accolades? They would fall short. This is great stuff. I had to listen on the old Sennheisers, and this is absolutely gorgeous. Aural nirvana.

You hopeless old romantic, you. grin

Thanks.

Regards,

Bob

floyd jane #303827 07/24/15 06:11 AM
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I had halfway convinced myself to give my analysis of this song that in my opinion is one of the more successful commercial sounding productions of your recent forum submissions. But then I figured that more than half of the forum members would likely disagree with my thoughts on the subject. Couple that with the fact I am in total agreement with Bob's (90Db) remarks, (at least if Aural nirvana's meaning is a good thing. I did not take time to look up the meaning.)

It is a gorgeous song and pretty accurately describes my first marriage that was cut in half by divorce and remarriage and and at the end of it, when carbon dated, the half life of 17 years matches with the split between the good years and the not so good years. The one child we produced was half the family we planned.

This is an easy song for me to relate to emotionally. If I had given my analysis, you'd see that I'm on the fence, half on/ half off to whether the lyrics would be considered too cliched --- You have a 50-50 chance there but I'm too emotionally attached to the message to give a balanced assessment - This one is an absolute winner with me.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
floyd jane #303829 07/24/15 06:16 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd,

Wow! This song overflows with emotional sincerity. It seems to me that 'tears in the beer glass' songs are one of your writing strengths. Each one you've posted on the forum has been a real pleasure to listen to. This is no exception.

The lyrics of "Half" are very, very powerful and resonate with believability. When these words are coupled with your outstanding melody, accompaniment, arrangement and vocals, an incredible listen unfolds. My fingers are stumbling over what to type! It's not a situation that they usually find themselves in.

Perhaps I should drive you through my thoughts as I listened...

Firstly, that second chord of the intro really sets the tone for what is to follow. It's such an excellent choice of sonic mood-lighting. Secondly, the two-bar intro made me open my eyes and pay attention because I was anticipating a third bar of strings. Then, when you started singing with the strings backing, Neil Diamond flashed into my mind. The key, the strings, the lyrics, the backing, the vocal delivery, the phrasing all struck me as reminiscent of Diamond. For this reason, when "Half" was done, I went to Youtube and listened to Neil singing "Love On The Rocks", "Hello Again" and "You Don't Bring Flowers" just to confirm that I wasn't hearing things.

All the above being said, what impressed me most about "Half" is that it seems like you've used just about every possible permutation of how the prefix/suffix/word can be used but it never sounds humorous, trite nor overdone. Just wow! How did you do that??? I counted 23 occurrences of 'half'. That's unbelievable. In addition to this, all those perfect rhymes flow so very smoothly and so conversationally. Prosody shines at all times. Upside down and inside out, this is magnificent lyric writing.

Quite honestly, I'm in awe of what you've presented here. This is not an ordinary song by any stretch of the imagination. Everything about it cries out 'professional', 'commercial appeal', 'international hit'. Seriously!

I'm heading back for another listen.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
floyd jane #303834 07/24/15 07:04 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd,

I'm speechless.
Back to another listen.

Guenter

floyd jane #303837 07/24/15 07:39 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Floyd,

This is a beautiful song with beautiful lyrics and a cool chord progression, especially at the end.
I would have left out the strings in the beginning (for dynamics's sake), and have them entered at the beginning of the second verse or so.

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

floyd jane #303847 07/24/15 08:16 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Floyd.

What can I say, except exceptional. Beautifully crafted in all respects*.

This is definitely film music. I can see the closing credits rolling as I listen to it.

* Well maybe one thing... I would have faded the bass with the strings on that last chord instead of leaving it to run on. Maybe you did that for a reason which I've missed?

ROG.

floyd jane #303860 07/24/15 10:15 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
WOW, WOW, WOW!!! This is absolutely beautiful. There is a cleverness but it enhances instead of obscures the message. Vocal/arrangement/production are tight, clear, and wonderfully emotional. All I can say is .............WOW,WOW,WOW!!! Take care. Greg

90 dB #303869 07/24/15 11:18 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Accolades? They would fall short. This is great stuff. I had to listen on the old Sennheisers, and this is absolutely gorgeous. Aural nirvana.

You hopeless old romantic, you. grin

Thanks.

Regards,

Bob

Bob...that is the nicest thing you've ever said to me... I appreciate that! (I appreciate all the jabs, too). Aural nirvana! HA! I think you scared Charlie with that.... smile

floyd jane #303871 07/24/15 11:40 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Floyd. When I first read the lyrics I thought oh yeah half half half not very exciting but when i listened to the song it is beautiful. You bring it very much to life and I think the backing is superb. Another good one. Cheers.

floyd jane #303875 07/24/15 11:51 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
WOW, WOW and WOW!

I wish that I had half of your talent and that's no lie!

This is one outstanding song. You vocal was top notch as always but the lyrics really got to me!

Super song

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
floyd jane #303902 07/24/15 03:36 PM
User Showcase
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C
I love this one. Lyrics are rock solid and professional.
The arrangement is superb.

Beautiful...

floyd jane #303904 07/24/15 03:48 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wonderful vocal. With the melody, phrasing and arrangement, this song became a quite beautiful and engaging whole despite all those halves.

floyd jane #303916 07/24/15 06:36 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Fantastic song, really nice, well done. I wanted it lift at one point, like a different feel of a bridge or something, but that was only me playing along in my head thinking where I would go next.
It's solid, everyone is right. I don't like strings much in things but they give this depth like the movie theme comment indicated.
I also thought of Ronnie Dunn, not comparing or saying that you're doing his "style" I love the guys music and voice, he could power ballad the hell out of this. I hope you know that these are all compliments, please consider me as a writing partner on a project sometime, I would be honored. btw, what's your impression of the new Jason Isbell record, personally I wanted more full band 24 Frames type songs so it's taking awhile to sink in, Speed Trap Town caught my ear.

Kenny

Charlie Fogle #303944 07/25/15 01:16 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: c_fogle
I had halfway convinced myself to give my analysis of this song that in my opinion is one of the more successful commercial sounding productions of your recent forum submissions. But then I figured that more than half of the forum members would likely disagree with my thoughts on the subject. Couple that with the fact I am in total agreement with Bob's (90Db) remarks, (at least if Aural nirvana's meaning is a good thing. I did not take time to look up the meaning.)

It is a gorgeous song and pretty accurately describes my first marriage that was cut in half by divorce and remarriage and and at the end of it, when carbon dated, the half life of 17 years matches with the split between the good years and the not so good years. The one child we produced was half the family we planned.

This is an easy song for me to relate to emotionally. If I had given my analysis, you'd see that I'm on the fence, half on/ half off to whether the lyrics would be considered too cliched --- You have a 50-50 chance there but I'm too emotionally attached to the message to give a balanced assessment - This one is an absolute winner with me.

Charlie

Charlie - I thoroughly enjoyed your review! Thank you...

floyd jane #303954 07/25/15 02:28 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Has to be one of the best - if not 'the' best - of your vocal performances.

As for the song, it's one of those that makes me smile and shake my head in admiration.

Clever and poignant.

'...on my behalf....' Cha-ching!

Standing ovation:)

floyd jane #303977 07/25/15 04:36 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
floyd, I read the lyrics first. I usually don't do that, but like Richard , I said to myself this can't work. Well you've proven me wrong again ( and I hate that ). This is a spectacular tour de force of how songwriting and performance combine to make the sum greater than the parts. It has a New York feel and I am sure many Brill Building writers would have loved to have a piece of it. The mix, your vocal chops and arrangement skills are on fine display here. Another fine creation to add to your long list of artistic creations. Tom

floyd jane #303992 07/25/15 05:41 AM
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Outstanding work, floyd!

Most enjoyable.

Encore!

Thanks for the music,
Dan

Noel96 #304064 07/25/15 11:44 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Noel96
floyd,

Wow! This song overflows with emotional sincerity. It seems to me that 'tears in the beer glass' songs are one of your writing strengths. Each one you've posted on the forum has been a real pleasure to listen to. This is no exception.

The lyrics of "Half" are very, very powerful and resonate with believability. When these words are coupled with your outstanding melody, accompaniment, arrangement and vocals, an incredible listen unfolds. My fingers are stumbling over what to type! It's not a situation that they usually find themselves in.

Perhaps I should drive you through my thoughts as I listened...

Firstly, that second chord of the intro really sets the tone for what is to follow. It's such an excellent choice of sonic mood-lighting. Secondly, the two-bar intro made me open my eyes and pay attention because I was anticipating a third bar of strings. Then, when you started singing with the strings backing, Neil Diamond flashed into my mind. The key, the strings, the lyrics, the backing, the vocal delivery, the phrasing all struck me as reminiscent of Diamond. For this reason, when "Half" was done, I went to Youtube and listened to Neil singing "Love On The Rocks", "Hello Again" and "You Don't Bring Flowers" just to confirm that I wasn't hearing things.

All the above being said, what impressed me most about "Half" is that it seems like you've used just about every possible permutation of how the prefix/suffix/word can be used but it never sounds humorous, trite nor overdone. Just wow! How did you do that??? I counted 23 occurrences of 'half'. That's unbelievable. In addition to this, all those perfect rhymes flow so very smoothly and so conversationally. Prosody shines at all times. Upside down and inside out, this is magnificent lyric writing.

Quite honestly, I'm in awe of what you've presented here. This is not an ordinary song by any stretch of the imagination. Everything about it cries out 'professional', 'commercial appeal', 'international hit'. Seriously!

I'm heading back for another listen.

All the best,
Noel

Noel - I had a feeling that you might enjoy "the write" on this one. Using a word over in subsequent lines can be a great writing device - I do it often... I wanted to see how far I could take it... Thank you for another delightful review! Now I have to go have a listen to some Neil Diamond (I was actually going for an "older" feel than that - Johnny Mathis doing "I've Grown Accustom To Her Face"... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7izY6dUmTo )

floyd jane #304081 07/25/15 02:38 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi floyd,

I've just had a listen to Johnny Mathis singing "Accustomed To Her Face". It's excellent!

This might sound strange but even though I'm a huge Mathis fan, I've never once bothered to hear him sing this song. If I knew how to kick myself effectively, I would because I'm definitely the loser with that decision! After listening to the Mathis version, I've actually discovered that I like the song!

I'd better explain...

When I was somewhere around 20 years old, I had a non-singing role in a local amateur production of "My Fair Lady" and the person who was Higgins discovered new (and I think he thought "exciting") ways to interpret this song. The memory of that interpretation has stayed with me for a few decades and coloured my appreciation of the music and the lyrics. The consequence is that whenever I stumbled across it on Youtube, etc., I never bothered clicking on it.

Thank you for enlightening me! I can definitely hear the Mathis/Faith influence in "Half".

Also, after I read Tom's comment above about the Brill Building, it occurred to me that Diamond came to popularity via the Brill Building. That could partly explain why I hear the Diamond influence.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Using a word over in subsequent lines can be a great writing device - I do it often... I wanted to see how far I could take it...

This is the first time that I have read or heard this songwriting tip. After reading it, it was like a hallway full of doors opened into new and unexplored rooms. I can't believe that, after all your lyrics that I've worked my way through, I didn't pick this up. Thank you for today's lesson. I appreciate this little device and have added it to my lyric-writing toolbox.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. I've just listened again. It's probably about the dozenth time. The more I listen, the more I'm convinced that one of this song's arrangement strengths is the lack of drums. Without them, my brain finds it a challenge to isolate the exact tempo: I hear some sections in a slow 4/4 and other sections at twice the speed. For example, when I first heard the song, I heard a 2-bar intro but now I hear a 4-bar intro sometimes and a 2-bar intro sometimes. I suspect that this tempo-variation effect is a great mood enhancer.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195