Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#528128 03/10/19 06:44 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Just something I put together this morning. The BIAB style is _HUSH.STY (Hush Pop Ballad Soloist).

To be honest, I'm really not that happy with this one ... it kinda starts off well and then maybe loses its way as it goes on? which is why I post it here - for feedback :-) , which would be most welcome! Thanks :-)

Her (on AudioMack)

musician17 #528149 03/10/19 08:43 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: musician17
it kinda starts off well and then maybe loses its way as it goes on? which is why I post it here - for feedback :-) , which would be most welcome! Thanks :-)

Her (on AudioMack)

OK....I gave a listen.
I don't know what you perceive the effort should sound like or your desired goal for the finished composition.
I rarely respond to these sorts of requests for various reasons but I'll chime in with all my subjectivity and be honest.

The tempo is very slow and suits being played in a dentist office as a sedative, so to speak.
If that's your intention, genre wise, then it works for that purpose.

If not....I'll take it further...
The progression sounds meandering and aimless and not captivating.
No motif for the listener to relate to....IE: verse/chorus/melodic motif/sense of dynamics.
It's uninteresting to me as is.
Music has to move me to be remotely appealing.

It takes time/focus to get it right...quick and dirty isn't a well thought out, well structured composition.
I'll stop there and hopefully my candor will be perceived as I intend it to be.
Just honest 'feedback'...we're all adults here with thick skin....right? smile

That's my take....hope that helps.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 03/10/19 09:01 AM.
musician17 #528151 03/10/19 09:23 AM
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
This is pretty darn good for making it this morning! Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Cheers,
Ember
musician17 #528155 03/10/19 09:29 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you both!!!

Chulaivet1966: I was watching Ricky Gervais' "After Life" this morning and there's a scene in it where he just smokes something and abandons himself to the universe, so to speak. That's the kinda feeling I was trying to get in this one ... a complete sort of abandonment. I agree with you ... it's not there yet, I need to look at it again with a fresh mind when I have some proper time! Your feedback is in line with my thoughts, too ... especially in the middle, I feel it loses its way. Thanks therefore for your thoughts and (and this is for everyone) never worry about giving me negative feedback - so long as it's genuinely honest feedback, this is how we all learn - from the negative as well as from the positive! :-)

Ember: thank you. I'll see what I can do by way of improvement to it when I have more time, but thanks for your kind encouragement!

musician17 #528171 03/10/19 11:30 AM
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
James,

This starts off pretty well to me. In its current form, I think it could serve as part of a soundtrack--it has a nice feel to it-- though I’m not sure there’s enough here yet for it to stand on its own as a song. But it has potential to, so keep working it. It’s a nice, laid back, sweet sound you have going on here.

All the best,

Deej

musician17 #528199 03/10/19 03:48 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
musician17,
Nice guitar playing!

Scrolling down, I had to read chulaivet1966 post. He is sharp observer, but I do not agree on "No motif" part with him. I find these type of tunes meditative and enjoyable. I think that drums you have on it are pulling you to less exiting places. It seems you are trying to breathe life into them in some parts of the tune, instead of them supporting you, or just lightly accenting rhythm. Take a listen at JJ Cale, he might play "softly" but his "backing" usually has strong support. I hope I am making sense here smile

Misha.

Rustyspoon# #528261 03/11/19 04:58 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
but I do not agree on "No motif" part with him. I find these type of tunes meditative and enjoyable.Misha.

Howdy Misha.....

I do not mean to belabor a point or take issue with your opinion.
But....to be clear this is what I mean by motif:

"In music, a motif (pronunciation) (help. · info) (also motive) is a short musical phrase, a salient recurring figure, musical fragment or succession of notes that has some special importance in or is characteristic of a composition: "The motive is the smallest structural unit possessing thematic identity".

I do not hear a clear motif in musician17's composition....yet.
If you do, based on the above definition you have far better ears that I do.
I'm sure he'll flesh it out further to his satisfaction or maybe he doesn't care about a motif at all....that's OK too.
He's got a good foundation idea....just needs a structural massage which is what I'm trying to help with.

Nothing I say here he (or anyone) has to agree or comply with....I just provided my honest assessment based on his thread request.
I'll gladly listen again if he revives this thread with an update on the composition.

A good day to all....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 03/11/19 05:35 AM.
musician17 #528269 03/11/19 05:33 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is very relaxing piece, nice instrumentation, really interesting chord progression, certain chords together with the solo guitar remind me of Roddy Frame.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

musician17 #528275 03/11/19 06:10 AM
User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
It sounds to me like it would make great backing tracks for a song...
I can hear melodic & lyrical opportunities throughout the piece...
Perhaps it would be worthwhile to let this one continue to bake & let new ideas come along...
As is... it actually sounds pleasant to my ears.

Jim
†=☮&♥
musician17 #528360 03/11/19 09:41 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks all.

Deej56: Thank you, you are kind. I think I need to sit on this track a little more, so to speak, but yes, I agree that it may have some potential, so I'll come back to it! Thanks :-)

Rustyspoon: yes, I noticed the problem with the drums, I think you are spot on here. I have literally next to no time nowadays, but - when I do get a chance to sit down with this track, I will see what can be done - but yes, absolutely. Some real sharp ears on this forum! :-)

Chulaivet1966: genuine thanks for the feedback, no problem whatsoever with it from me. We all hear different things - which is why it's great to have other people's feedback - they WILL hear things I may not immediately hear myself, that's just how it works; so thanks!!!

jannesan: I am not familiar with the work of Roddy Frame. I will listen - thanks! :-)

Jim: thanks for the kind words; yes, as I've said above also, letting it rest for a while and sift in my mind and then come back to it sounds like a good idea, I absolutely agree!

Thanks EVERYONE - this is a fantastic forum to work on music with everyone in such a constructive manner!!! :-)

musician17 #528362 03/11/19 09:48 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good start. Keep that bit and rethink.
I fear the rhythm section, drums in particular, are making this seem pedestrian.
The drums push with the hi hat 8ths and the bass seems triggered by the sparse snare.
In the meantime the Dire Straits/Knofler style guitar hasn't anything in it's world to play off.
The steel guitar is just filling in spaces.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
musician17 #528414 03/12/19 06:54 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: musician17
Thanks all. Chulaivet1966: genuine thanks for the feedback, no problem whatsoever with it from me. We all hear different things - which is why it's great to have other people's feedback - they WILL hear things I may not immediately hear myself, that's just how it works; so thanks!!!

IMO....in this context.
Too break in down to the lowest common denominator, the goal is too not only make a better as it evolves but to actually have it stand out among other songs of the same genre.
A true creative challenge.

Song writing is a craft that one develops over time which requires discipline, focus and is a very personal endeavor.
It's very risky too jump in a thread like this for obvious reasons.
I rarely do because why would I think anyone would respect my creative comments or employ my suggestions on their work in progress?.
I'm not (and never will be) famous and my song writing may suck in the opinions of most anyway.

I'm very pleased you accept my comments as I intended them.
Your can do this!....stick with this WIP...work through the creative labor pains and make it happen to your satisfaction.
Whether you consider all the helpful comments offered.....or not. smile

Are you intending on writing lyrics for this?
If so, have you selected a specific subject matter relating to "Her"?
Maybe spell out the chord progression for those of us with inquiring minds. smile

Back to it....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 03/12/19 08:15 AM.
musician17 #528424 03/12/19 07:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is a delightful recording. It's the kind of music I play on one of my hospital radio programmes here in Scotland a full hour of gentle easy listening music & song, and this fits the criteria perfectly.
Enjoyed my listen a lot

Last edited by furry; 03/12/19 07:29 AM.
musician17 #528443 03/12/19 08:24 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Hey,

Cool and pleasing sound.

To have a 4 minute instrumental stand the test of time, pun intended, for most people, it would need to have some tempo changes and different sections with different chords in them I think, plus maybe some live soloing that had a defined melodic line with changes in that too.

But the sound is definitely relaxing and soothing for sure.

musician17 #528510 03/12/19 09:10 PM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks all - food for thought!!! Thanks for all the feedback ... now to wait for the weekend, when I may be free to implement it :-) Cheers.

musician17 #528715 03/14/19 05:38 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very nice relaxing tune. Guitar was excellent.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
musician17 #528755 03/14/19 09:33 AM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Mostly, it sounds very sweet to me!! I think there are a few places where the musical direction could be clearer but I love the general vibe here! Take care. Greg

musician17 #528759 03/14/19 09:51 AM
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Scott and Greg! Just wanted to make it clear that the guitar is a RealTrack - I believe it's Brent Mason playing on it? i.e. nothing to do with me in the slightest :-) it truly is excellent playing! The whole thing was done entirely in BIAB, with no other input from me than the chords themselves - which is how I did it so fast, in one morning. To go to the next step, it needs a proper revision from me, to see what I like and what I want to change, if anything, of course. In some places, the guitar is playing a little differently than the chords I actually wrote underneath, so I don't know how to fix that just yet ... but, as I said, I'll try to deal with it all at the weekend at the earliest. Thanks so much for everyone's feedback - I didn't think that so many people would be so genuinely kind as to comment!!! THANKS ALL!!!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199