#592990 04/19/20 10:31 AM
User Showcase
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Say Goodbye

I've spent more on virtual instruments than I care to admit since lockdown...but I suppose I can't spend money on much else at the minute I suppose it's probably the best time to do it! I also bought a new, much better, microphone but understandably it's going to be quite a while until it arrives so I've used an Amazon Basics one to record the vocals. This song came about as one of the virtual instruments had a great violin sound so I put together a nice violin bit and then built the BIAB RealTracks around it.

I experimented a bit when arranging and mixing this. I'd definitely like a bit of feedback on mixing as I still struggle a little with it. People on here have been very helpful as I didn't have a clue about anything to do with mixing when I posted my first few songs.

Style is _BOWE110.STY. Acoustic Guitar w/ Even Bow Bass
All RealTracks. Quintet. Tempo=110 (85-140)
Instruments: Ac.Bass, Ac.Guitar, Ac.Guitar, Ac.Guitar, Drums
RD: NashvilleEven8^3-a:Sidestick, HiHat , b:Snare, HiHat Open :Brian Fullen
RT2488: Bass, Acoustic, Bowed Held Ev 110 , Craig Nelson
RT405: Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Ev 120 , Jason Roller
RT1677: Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking CountryBrent Ev 120 , Brent Mason
RT522: Guitar, Acoustic, Fingerpicking Ev 120 , Jason Roller

I also added a midi piano supertrack - PopRootsyJohn. As well as putting together the violin midi and a little piano track as accompaniment for the supertrack.

Lyrics

To say that I
Didn't expect this To happen
Would be the understatement
Of the year

Sometimes things just
Happen so quickly
That you don't see them coming
Till they're here

I'm thinking of all the things
That could have been different
Even though I couldn't change
a thing

What can I do
I know that I gotta accept it
Even if I'm breaking down inside
You might be gone but deep down
My love will never die
And I know I gotta say goodbye

Maybe I'm still
Stuck in denial
And I think you're gonna
Walk back through the door

Maybe the signs were there
And I didn't want to see them
But that only hurts
Even more

I'm thinking of all the times
that we had together
Wishing that I could live
them over again

What can I do
My love will never die

I'm thinking of all the times
that we had together
Wishing that I could live
them over again

What can I do
My love will never die

What can I do
My love will never die

What can I do
My love will never die

What can I do
My love will never die

Last edited by RichardB1985; 04/21/20 02:29 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
My only problem with the mix is that I think the vocal is way too much up front. Turn that down and I you will have a winner.
Note that this is just my opinion and others may or may not agree.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The strings need softening: that'd be some gentle reverb and roll off some top end in your EQ.
The band sound fine and the arrangement is solid.
You lyrics are good.
You're out of tune enough to be singing a different song and sound like you've a cold which doesn't help.
When you recover - retrack.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Richard,
I hear a good melody and like the strings/acoustic guitar opening.
Being on the cusp of out of tune can sound good on a rock song ( think Joy Division), but,though RayC is a little harsh in his comments above,I tend to agree: to do the song justice a vocal redo is a good idea.
Let`s hear this again with the new microphone!

Robert

User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Richard,

A lot of good feedback above, but just wanted to chime in that I really like the melody and approach of the tune . . . it conveys a real sense of what you were shooting for . . . and the musical bed is strong, though the mix could be, as others mentioned above, a bit more balanced. Keep working this . . . there’s a really good tune here.

Best regards,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Richard,
I definitely see the progress in your skills. Interesting tune and I think a good candidate to experiment with some mixing / singing techniques. I agree with Mario that vocals are a bit upfront.
What I also noticed, you doubled up your voice in places... I do not have musical training, so I will try to explain in simple terms. You sing this low and when you have two low voices in same field it sounds a little mooshi. I would try singing second voice octave higher or swinging second voice slightly. To me, it is all about experimenting and practice smile Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. It's not always easy to get honest feedback so I'm really glad to get both positive and constructive feedback here. Thank you!

I was struggling with hay fever when I recorded it and I also rushed the recording which I think contributed to the pitch issues. I also managed to switch off autotune as my DAW was struggling when I was messing about with the settings on master bus plugins and I forgot to switch it back on when I saved the mixdown. It doesn't save the vocals so I'll be rerecording it. I also messed about with the backing vocals following Misha's advice by pitching them up and they do sound better (although obviously very artificial as I've just pitched them up using autotune).

I will definitely re-record this when I get a chance.

Last edited by RichardB1985; 04/20/20 02:20 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Richard,

I fear I should take your title literally, because the link to your song wasn't working. It said 'oops, something is wrong'
Maybe you are working on another version, because of the reactions I see here?

Lots of success,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
R
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
R
Hi Birchwood, Bandlab seems to do this sometimes, the link was working for me but for some reason it doesn't show up - not sure why. I have replaced it with a slightly updated version now but it still needs to be rerecorded.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,182
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185