Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello everyone,

We all become extremely creative nowadays. The virus does good things as well, thought I can think of less extreme ways to learn us how...

I made a new song, like a lot of us do. I hope you can find the time to listen to it. It's not an ordinary song. It's also not in Dutch. I was reading about all the stress that the measures around the virus caused to a lot of people and thought maybe I can help a bit in a way crazy
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/ripples-and-thoughts

I used a loop for a special effect somewhere around 2/3 of the song. I also used a Shakuhachi, a synth with the sound of a flute or recorder for the dreamy first part. Then a second drumkit for the rest of the song.
And I tried to make a special effect with 8 voices towards the end. because I post the song I think I did it right, but tell me if I don't. And be as honest as I know the most of you!

Nice day,
Hans

The songbuild:
Style is _AIRDUO.STY, Tempo 95.

RealTracks 1: 2937:Bas, Fretless
Realtracks 2: 2325: Bas el.
RealTracks 1 :2870:Piano, Ac
Realtracks 2: 1276 Piano ac.
RealTracks: 1814:Gitaar, Ac, Fingerpicking
RealTracks: 2328:Shakuhachi, Synth
Loop: World\Bollywood - party_80_basses_staccato_e_flat_minor.wav
RealTracks: 2687:Gitaar, El., solo
RealDrums 1: NashvilleBrushesEasyBluegrass: a: Sidestick, Brushes b: Brushes, Stick
Realdrums 2: PopModernGroove

The RT's numbered 2 were used in the second part, instead of the numbers 1.

The lyrics:

Ripples and thoughts
(c)HwBerkhout, 190420

Silently, you lay your head down
And close your eyes
Ripples in the water
They form your cradle in disguise

Ripples in the water, so intensely
But let yourself drift along
Feel the waves, float on them
You are so strong

chorus
Oh hear the wind blows
And see the clouds chase
Watch the birds fly
Hear the rustling of the trees
Don't wonder why

Ripples in the water
I can see your pain they symbolise
Ripples in the water, so intensely
You can't ease them, so don't try
Let yourself drift along
You are so strong

chorus
Hear the wind blows
And see the clouds chase
Watch the birds fly
Hear the rustling of the leaves
Don't wonder why

solo

So hear the wind blows,
See the clouds chase
Yes watch the birds fly
Can the ripples of your mind freeze?

chorus
Oh hear the wind blows
See the clouds chase
Hear the rustling of the trees,
Watch the birds fly
Hear the rain falls
See the bending of the reed

Harmony - chorus
So hear the wind blows
See the clouds chase
And watch the birds fly
Hear the rain falls
See the bending of the reed

So hear the wind blows
See the clouds chase
Hear the words fly
The ripples in the water are your thoughts
So hear the wind...

Last edited by Birchwood; 05/01/20 10:53 AM.

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hans,
Very well written song! Interesting acoustic -> electric transformation Staccato works very nice. Liked it! Vocals sound and seated well in the mix (!). The one only thing in reply to your: "be as honest" is Shakuhachi. It is beautiful instrument and you used it tastefully, but actual "tone" is a bit dull compared to everything else. Perhaps some EQ and reverb will help or maybe swap synth. I like ethnic wind synths, and I know shakuhachi is one of the most tricky ones. Good one Hans.
Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

WOW! This is OUTSTANDING!

This opening is so inviting. The guitar and flute are are a nice combination.
The piano comes in perfectly.
Your vocal is excellent. The soft, breathiness suits you! It sits in the mix just right.
The additions of the drums is nice.
The use of the staccato strings is such a nice change.
The solo guitar works really well.

The extra vocals panned either side adds nicely to the build.
The main vocal at that point is slightly "too crisp" (but not by much).

A really nice lyric. And a beautiful melody. Terrific write.

This is truly enjoyable music.

Well done!

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow, there's so much in there, Hans. I really like how you developed this song --great dynamics. Very graphic lyrics, and your voices are exceptional. The guitar, the staccato strings, the change in instruments. Very very creative. and I agree with Misha about the Shakuhachi needing something, but its statement is well played.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Beautiful melody and you are singing so softly which is very nice for a change.
Simple arrangement with creative breaks of instruments. What a unique atmosphere those selected instruments create. It is easy to notice and enjoy all those nice details.
Shakuhachi and the loop work very well, giving nice eastern vibe. Drums and the solo guitar add energy but not too much to disrupt the mood.
I have read that that it is easy to fall asleep by thinking about sounds of nature, I have tried by imagining the sound of water, so this song is kind of similar mantra, gets me into a dreaming state.

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well, wow. Meditative, reflective and softly sung. Superb job. I was glued to it from the first second to the last. I didn't see any problems with the Shakuhachi, personally - enjoyed the nuances it gave to the song. Really beautiful lyrics. Well done.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Hans,

Man! You have outdone yourself with this one!

I agree with everything floyd says above.

Great build! And this has to be your best vocal yet. I think you are using less vocal effects than you normally do? Sounds great, lots of passion, great tone.

My new favorite from you, really good!!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is one of my favorite songs of yours Hans. So gentle and delicate. Beautiful vocal and lyric. The piano and acoustic were such a nice touch to the song. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
Such an adventurous arrangement! The build is very good, from folk ballad comfort to quite intense with a rock feel.
I enjoyed the message and the melody - it has a lovely flow and your vocal is your best to date imo (you are capturing the power in your voice with less effects I think here and it sounds great).
Excellent work!

Robert

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

Lovely piece of music.
I agree with floyd's thoughtful comments.
On of the best pieces I've heard from you.

Peter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
How cool!
Love the way this builds and shifts the mood.

I think the choice of instruments is brilliant.
The layered vocals sounds good.

I would agree with a previous comment though, It might be a good idea to take a little edge off the lead vocal.

Thanks

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Misha, Floyd, Marty, Janne and Dave,

Thanks for your praising comments. It was beyond my expectations to receive such nice words from all of you.
That's why I introduced it as 'something different'. I feared the meditative aspects in the song were 'too heavy' for a lot of you. But it turned out I was wrong on that. So thanks for that feeling too!

I want to create this sphere and 'play' with different instruments and the vocals. I also wanted to create a repeating chorus where -in the apotheosis- more and more voices get included. But I didn't went further than 8 voices. I thought more would mess up the mix, at least with my skills.

I had 3 d-essers included and the EQ a bit downwards in the high ends in the mix and the masteringproces to get rid of the sibilance some of you mentioned. But the problem was persistent. I mixed and mastered it again some time later, I also included a high cut and a down shelf as well, though now I had to take care about the result of it all. That stayed allright, but some sibilance remained as well.

The sound of the shakuhachi, as Misha mentioned, was intended. I needed this simple sound and the acoustic guitar as a contrast for the rest of the instruments. So sorry, misha, I will not change that ;-(

Have a very nice day!
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Really, really pretty song Hans!! So peaceful and dreamy.....you're right....everyone needs an escape these days, and this was a very pleasant one!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
WOW Hans this is fantastic! Loved the guitar flute combo. Your vocal was perfect, the lyrics outstanding, and the mix was perfect.

IMHO this is your best to date.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
This is one of my favorite songs of yours Hans. So gentle and delicate. Beautiful vocal and lyric. The piano and acoustic were such a nice touch to the song. Well done

Wow Scott, you gave me mixed feelings with your answer. Feeling proud and feeling puzzled, because of my other songs.
But I go for the first feeling now. Thanks Scott!

Originally Posted By: Robertkc
Hans,
Such an adventurous arrangement! The build is very good, from folk ballad comfort to quite intense with a rock feel.
I enjoyed the message and the melody - it has a lovely flow and your vocal is your best to date imo (you are capturing the power in your voice with less effects I think here and it sounds great).
Excellent work!
Robert

Hi Robbert, you gave me the same mixed feelings as Scott did. But I like the compliments more! The effects I used for the vocals are roughly the same as in my other songs. Sometimes I had too much reverb and/or delay in them. In early songs I used Nectar effects as well, but now mostly An EQ and Compressor from Native Instruments (NI) and a reverb from softube (Tsar) and that's it. Well... sometimes 'Raum', also from NI.

Originally Posted By: PeterF
Hans,
Lovely piece of music.
I agree with floyd's thoughtful comments.
On of the best pieces I've heard from you.
Peter

Hello Peter, you did the same with my feelings as the gentlemen above. But you know what surprised me the most? I thought this song would be too slow to do anything on the Forum. I liked it of course, but when reading your compliments I was really surprised! Thanks for that.
Don't be amazed if I come with a Dutch song again because of this 'cultureshock'. ;-)

Originally Posted By: CaptainMoto
How cool!
Love the way this builds and shifts the mood.
I think the choice of instruments is brilliant.
The layered vocals sounds good.
I would agree with a previous comment though, It might be a good idea to take a little edge off the lead vocal.
Thanks

Hi Captain, Those are nice words you used to describe this song. And what you said about the edginess of the vocals is true. I changed some of the settings, added 3 (!) D-ess plugins, but it stayed. Then I altered something in the Mastering. To me it improved. I hope for you as well.

Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Really, really pretty song Hans!! So peaceful and dreamy.....you're right....everyone needs an escape these days, and this was a very pleasant one!! Take care. Greg

Hey Greg, thanks a lot for your reply. I had some doubts about the composition. I thought it would be too difficult to enjoy all what happens in it, but I was clearly mistaken. Thanks for that!

Originally Posted By: MarioD
WOW Hans this is fantastic! Loved the guitar flute combo. Your vocal was perfect, the lyrics outstanding, and the mix was perfect.
IMHO this is your best to date.

Hi there Mario, you too gave me that mixed feelings about your compliment. Still prefer the compliments more. The way you putted them nearly made me blush. But they also gave me a broad smile on my face for a day or two.

So thank you all for your effort to reply and to do that with those very nice words,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
D
Expert
Expert
D
Hans,

Very pretty tune . . . nice use of the shakuhachi synth, just the right touch. And I like those chord changes in that last line leading to the chorus. Might think about changing the title of the song to just “Ripples” or “Ripples in the Water”—just a thought. Love what you do on the last third of the song from a production standpoint—artfully changes the mood of the song, transforming it in a really positive way. Terrific tune!

All my best,

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans, we are late to the party and all of the wonderful
accolades have already been offered. Suffice it to say
that we agree with ALL of them.

This a lovely production in write and performance and
the arrangement is outstanding...particularly the
layering of the vocals.

Ethereal, dreamy and cinematic....

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C

Wow Scott, you gave me mixed feelings with your answer. Feeling proud and feeling puzzled, because of my other songs.
But I go for the first feeling now. Thanks Scott!

Please go with the feeling proud. I love all your songs. I felt this one was very special.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199