Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello everyone,

=This is an edited version of my original post. I made changes on the lyrics after hearing some comments on lines in which I didn't use the right words. I also changed some lines because I thought I had to, especially at the end I changed the perspective a bit more. Because of this I had to sing the song all over, but I didn't change the melody or band. Maybe a bit less reverb... I want to thank the first four listeners for 'causing' this.=

I had an idea of making a (Rock)song from the perspective of (a) god who had created Earth.
So I did. It is a song with a nice rhythm and nice band. The lyrics deals with that perspective.
You can find it here: https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/lost

I hope you like it, but let me know what you think could have been better, or was very good ;-)
Hans

The instruments
Style: _SHOCK.STY (Shock Choppy Blues Rock Solist), tempo 98
1417:Bass
3360: Guitar, Elec. Blues Rock 70s
3181: Guitar, Ac Rock
3351: Guitar, Bariton Elec, Swampy Blues Gel 95
Drums: RockHardEven8^1-a:HiHat, b:RideLoop: House-Techno-Trance\Trance - hush_lead_a_137_d.wavLoop: Chillout\Chillout - autumn_82_flute_e_minor .wav
Keyboard: Elec. guitar sunburst (Native Instr.)

The lyrics:
Lost
(c) HWBerkhout, dec 2020

If you’d seen me, I was smiling
I made a world of my own
If you'd heard me, I was calling;
In my paradise you're not alone

In my heart I cared for you all
I loved humanity
But you can't obey so well, as I recall
That still isn't easy for me

Refrain
I thought Earth would be a stunning place
to cherish you all there
And harmony had filled your space
While peace was everywhere

Bridge

Now my heart skips some beats
since nothing went well
All I wanted got misinterpreted
by preachers of heavens and hell

Refrain
I thought Earth would be a stunning place
where no one ever feels lost
And harmony had filled your space
but instead, despair you caused

Refrain 2
I see anger and frustration
got worse over time
And I see wars and starvation
They were no goals of mine

Bridge2
Refrain 2.1
I see pain and disillusions
got worse over time
And I see grief and suppression
They were no goals of mine

Refrain 2.2
I believe you are to hurry
to save your souls
But I see greed and stupidity
And me out of control

So I think you got it
I've lost...
I've lost

Last edited by Birchwood; 12/06/20 02:46 AM. Reason: mistakes in lyrics

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
W
Expert
Expert
W
Nice song, but pretty depressive at least from the perspective of a God that wanted to do well, but somehow failed. Interesting and thought-provoking idea for a song...

Well done!
Will

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I enjoyed the song!

Lyrically, the line:

Not the goals that should

isn't that well formed, but if you want to rhyme to trump content (it often does), that's your artistic decision.

The ending is a bit abrupt, but I won't say I've got any better ideas for an ending. wink

Last edited by dcuny; 12/05/20 09:45 AM.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
G
Journeyman
Journeyman
G
Hallo Hans.
This is the best that I have heard from you. Your vocals have passion and the stereo spectrum of your mix is excellent . I love that panned pulsing grungy guitar . I would have liked to hear some harmonies on the choruses and a little less reverb on your vox which , imo , takes you too far back in the mix . But this track is stellar , vox , mix . lyrics and production. Enjoyable listen.
vriendelijke groeten
Gary.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
STRONG voice, a little too so in a few spots due to the reverb.
The line ending in should doesn't hold clear meaning - it suggests the nest line will explain/expand.

Potential replacements:
Well, given the phrase it sits in that's hard one.

Not the goals I understood.
The goals that withstood
Not my goals: not good

etc. there's limited scope for a rhyme that'll hold context.
VERY cool song and a nice band.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Will Josef
Nice song, but pretty depressive at least from the perspective of a God that wanted to do well, but somehow failed. Interesting and thought-provoking idea for a song...

Well done!
Will

Hi Will, long time hearing from you. It's good you're back!
And yes, you are right. pretty depresive, but when I was thinking about how I would look back on my creation and it was in this shape I could be proud of myself. Of course there are always nice things to point at, but the big picture isn't that nice. But that's my point of view. But still I enjoy life (if you might wonder...)!

Originally Posted By: dcuny
I enjoyed the song!
Lyrically, the line:
Not the goals that should
isn't that well formed, but if you want to rhyme to trump content (it often does), that's your artistic decision.
The ending is a bit abrupt, but I won't say I've got any better ideas for an ending. wink

Hi David, nice to see you back too and thanks for your comment. And you were not only right on that issue, but I knew it when writing it. I think it was Google telling me my line wasn't wrong and I was in need of a rhyme too. But I was too eager in solving my problems. I changed it and also some more lines and the plot as well! I think it is more coherent now, so thanks!

Originally Posted By: Gary Weder
Hallo Hans.
This is the best that I have heard from you. Your vocals have passion and the stereo spectrum of your mix is excellent . I love that panned pulsing grungy guitar . I would have liked to hear some harmonies on the choruses and a little less reverb on your vox which , imo , takes you too far back in the mix . But this track is stellar , vox , mix . lyrics and production. Enjoyable listen.
vriendelijke groeten
Gary.

Hi Gary, very nice of you greeting me in Dutch! and thanks for your comment on the song. I normally use more harmonies, but since nearly all my songs have more vocals in chorusses I thought to skip it this time. And there was only one 'god' involved. I could have used the angels of course, but I choose not to. I did less reverb in my remake and brought myself more upfront. I used two new plugins on the vocals (Fresh air and Trackspace) that might helped causing this issue you mentioned. They are still in, but less dominant now. Hope you will like it more (!)

Originally Posted By: rayc
STRONG voice, a little too so in a few spots due to the reverb.
The line ending in should doesn't hold clear meaning - it suggests the nest line will explain/expand.
Potential replacements:
Well, given the phrase it sits in that's hard one.

Not the goals I understood.
The goals that withstood
Not my goals: not good

etc. there's limited scope for a rhyme that'll hold context.
VERY cool song and a nice band.

Hi Ray, thanks for listening and advising on severall issues. And of course i listen to your comments, so I changed the lyrics to get more logic between the things this god noticed and compared with his goals. and because I faced it too that it is difficult to get a proper rhyme on 'good' I changed it, but not with what you proposed. Sorry for that, but I appreciated your effort very much!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

First of all I really like the concept of this song, great idea!

And yes, if there is an entity up there looking down it must be shaking its head at the mess we have made of everything.

I didn't hear the original mix, but the vocal sounds great to me.

Track sounds great too.

One of your best I think, I enjoyed it.

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
A cool rock song Hans!! Great feel to the music, and your vocal is one of your best! Love the sound of the band......parts just fit together really well! Nicely done!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Dave and Greg,

Thanks for your nice comments on the song and that Dave considered it to be 'one of my best'. but inspite of this I changed it again...
This morning I listened to it again and I missed something in it. Then I new what it was; it was too gentle.
For a god this might not be a problem, but I missed some kind of conviction in the vocals, or call it 'aggressiveness'.
So that's what I did this morning, including something in the lyrics as well.

I'm not sure this behaviour of changing my songs all the time are becomming a habbit of me, but it happens more than I thought it would.
But for this song it will be my last intervention. And I promise I will not come with another song this year!

So happy new year and let's hope we can leave Covid (and some other things) behind us and that we all come with nice musical creations,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans, this has a great rock sound to it. Your vocal is spot on. Nice keyboard touches. I liked the chord progression and the interesting write. Nicely done,Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

Well done! A very cool BIG sound.

And interesting idea and a good write. Excellent godly vocals smile

Mix sound good - well balanced. Nice Rocker!

One of your best!

Cool song.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Wow what a cool mixs Hans. Very cool separation love the chunking guitars. Super vocal and lyric. Very creative melody and backtrack. Well done Hans. This is a favorite for sure...

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Hans ...

This is your perfect niche! Strong, bold and in-your-face. Your vocal is excellent and the backing tracks are spot on. Loved everything about it. Really nice!!!

Best to you take care and be safe ...

Alan

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like this! Love the harder instrumentation for the chorus to match tone of the lyric. Good vocal performance.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Personally, I like a song that makes you think about something that you hadn't considered. I'm not sure what was all changed but I do like what I just heard. Well done musically, performance and thought provoking.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"I had an idea of making a (Rock)song from the perspective of (a) god who had created Earth." Whoa, what an idea, and you developed it so well, Hans. Love the angry feel (if that makes any sense). Your voice is quite captivating. This was God's perspective after assessing his creation. Perhaps he will learn patience and realize that actually things are a lot better now then ever in human history ---well, that's how statistical humans assess it. Of course, that would mean good for humans and not God's creation. Enough of that... Your creation here is superb and cannot be disputed by anyone's assessment.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hello Birchwood,

Hello Birchwood,
Very philosophical composition. Why have created a hell when everyone wants love, the happiness of others but the rules are such that to survive, we must transgress our ideal daily. I appreciated your lyrics but also the melody and the arrangement which harmonizes well with your lyrics. Well done.

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Amen bro'!

Always been surprised he/she doesn't just squash us like an unwanted ant hill smile

Our thoughts are simple Hans ... this is an excellent rock song.

The creative lyric, your strong vocal, the effective arrangement and the cool tracks all work together so well. Love the drums and percussion.

And it all sounds outstanding on our monitors!

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Quite a bold statement made with a big sound.

Vocals really get strong at times.

I like the song structure a lot, makes it interesting as it move along.

moto

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Hans, this has a great rock sound to it. Your vocal is spot on. Nice keyboard touches. I liked the chord progression and the interesting write. Nicely done,Tom

Hi Tom, Thanks for your comment. I altered this song two more times after your post. I wasn't so fond of my vocals and the lyrics could do better to! I think it's better now, although you already liked it. Bad habbit of me...

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,
Well done! A very cool BIG sound.
And interesting idea and a good write. Excellent godly vocals smile
Mix sound good - well balanced. Nice Rocker!
One of your best!
Cool song.

fj

Hi Floyd, no critics on this song? While I thought it had to be. Therefore I altered it two more times. I'm joking a bit. Thanks for your very nice compliments. I showed my sons what you wrote about my 'godly' vocals. Unfortunate they were not impressed by this huge compliment. Nasty guys...

Originally Posted By: Scott C
Wow what a cool mixs Hans. Very cool separation love the chunking guitars. Super vocal and lyric. Very creative melody and backtrack. Well done Hans. This is a favorite for sure...

Ray, what a nice compliment from a high Spirit! I hope it will not only be your favorite, but also from some more listeners. I had better times on that. But I'm very happy with the compliments I receive of course.

Originally Posted By: Al-David
Hello Hans ...
This is your perfect niche! Strong, bold and in-your-face. Your vocal is excellent and the backing tracks are spot on. Loved everything about it. Really nice!!!
Best to you take care and be safe ...

Alan

Hello Alan, what nice words you wrote to me! I am not sure this is my niche (because I never wanted to be boxed), but you made me think of it and I'm still doing that. All you wrote after 'the niche' is what I want to be or do. Writing and singing about issues that matter or make us think. So maybe that is my answer on the first line; it is my niche after all...

I hope you all have a very interesting new years eve and we meet again with new songs in 2021,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,389
Posts732,446
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195