Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#642229 02/15/21 02:32 AM
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
My Nashville pal Mackie sent me a lyric called "Third rate romance".
I played with the lyric for a couple of days before I could come up with some sort of melody.

The only big part of the lyric I changed was the title (unusual for me) :-).
The lead guitar is meant to be a wistful reminder of that night.
Vic

https://soundcloud.com/vic-arnold/a-one-night-romance

A ONE NIGHT ROMANCE
© 2021 Mackie Humphries & Vic Arnold

I remember bright neon lights.
Still hear those blues playin' through the night
in Memphis where we met by chance,
she had me thinkin' a lifelong dance
She hooked me in with cat green eyes
then led me on with jaded lies
Had me believin’ by midnight
she had found her Mister right.
But ...
CH
All my friends knew she’d deceive
In mornin’ light she’d up and ... leave
but this cowboy's still ridin’ high
A one night romance needs no goodbye

BR
I weren't the first. Won't be the last
out of the shute a movin’ too fast

GUITAR SOLO

CH
Even my friends knew she’d deceive
In mornin’ light she’d up and leave
One more cowboy still ridin’ high

BR
I’m not the first won’t be the last
out of the shute a movin’ too fast

CH
Even my friends knew she’d deceive
In mornin’ light she’d up and leave
One more cowboy still ridin’ high

Bass = 3584
Acoustic Guitars = 3716, 3758
Drums = Nashville radiopop
Oohs = 3027
Electric Guitar = 3726

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice write, catchy chorus and good arrangement as well. laugh

A couple of nits to ignore. I know, it's bad form to suggest changes, especially when it wasn't requested.

"I weren't the first" has a nice consonance between weren't and first, but it sort of sticks out.

"Weren't the first. Ain't the last" doubles down on the colloquialism, but softens it a bit.

On "All my friends knew she’d deceive", you're a bit soft on the /V/ in deceive, so I mis-heard the line as All my friends knew she did see. Yeah, my kids complain that I'm deaf, but it's mostly that I'm not paying attention to them. wink

It sets up a storyline that seems to me as being needlessly complex:

• The singer is out for the evening with a group of all his friends listening to blues music in Memphis.
  • He meets a woman by chance, and they hit it off.
  • All his friends are so concerned about her that they warn him she'll leave him

And it raises all sort of logistic questions for me, like:

• Did the singer live in Memphis? If not, why are "all" his friends there?
  • How did his friends form an opinion about this woman so quickly? Were they listening in on the conversation? Why did they all feel they needed to give their opinions?
  • At what point did they all tell him she wasn't trustworthy? Did she have to go powder her nose or something?

I think something like "Though I wanted to believe" simplifies things a bit. wink

As I said, they're just nits. If I write this much, it means I like the song, not the other way around. So feel free to ignore the comments and just know you've gotten me engaged in the song!

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed the song! smile

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Vic,
I like the catchy chorus, especially the "out of the chute" line and the country-rock arrangement fits the song .
You deliver the story well, though listening on `phones I found the vocal almost too upfront if you get my drift- could be a mic placement thing or maybe the vocal needs to go back into the mix a little.

Robert

User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi David.
Food for thought.

"Weren't the first, Ain't the last". That sounds fine.
I had another listen to the "deceive" and it sounds alright to me but the V in "leave" I think could be boosted.

Your questions about the story I think you provided reasonable answers for them yourself and there are others
that could be used, such as:
the singer and his friends were in a touring band and the girl was known to one or two or even more of them so I will leave that to the listener's interpretation. Mackie would probably have a different answer.

I am pleased that you were interested enough to raise those questions and thank you for listening and taking the time to comment.

Vic

User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you Robert.
I do have a habit of placing my vocal way out front so you could be right there.
I have a friend who tells me that's how she likes it but I'll go back to it tomorrow and see if I can adjust a little.

Vic

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Vircan

Beautiful construction where the voice and the guitar are in perfect symbiosis. The arrangement is pleasant and the double voice on certain passages is well put. It's pleasant. I appreciated.

Kindly regard
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash

Kindly regards
Derochette
alias JaniJackFlash
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent song. Loved the intro. Super vocal and lyric. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Derochette.
Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Vic

User Showcase
Expert
Online Content
Expert
Your voice hit me first thing. Johnny Cash-like. The guitar solo reminds me of Brian May.

A top, top notch, hard-hitting production. Some say I'm easily pleased, but I tell you, I have nothing to criticise - so I have to be honest and call it as I see it. Top, top notch - bravo.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Vic
A fine slice of country rock with an infectious chorus. (Probably a good call to change the title, to avoid confusion with the Amazing Rhythm Aces song of the same name.) Matter of preference, but personally I like where your vocal sits in the mix.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thanks Musician17 for that very generous comment.
Johnny Cash will is fine by me. I was a fan of his since a kid when I saw him on TV in 1959.
I later got to meet him on a radio show.

Vic

User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you Scott.
Good to hear that.

Vic

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very strong opening with that acoustic and lead. And from there the lyrics, melody, vocals and harmony add to the strength. Excellent and dynamic arrangement. Very much enjoyed, Vic.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Leon.
I'm glad you said "Country Rock" for the genre. It's what I called it but I'm not very good at deciding genres.
Who invented genres anyway? :-)

Thanks for your comment.

Vic

Last edited by vicarn; 02/17/21 04:31 AM.
User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Marty.
Thanks for that.
I'm glad you liked the lead. It was mentioned on another forum that the lead didn't fit the genre. (whatever that may mean).

Vic

User Showcase
M
M
Vic
You did great with the lyrics and music!!!!!

I almost gave up trying to sign PG Music--I had purchased BIAB years ago and forgot my onfo--Had to use my 2nd location email: mackie22@comcast.net--This is my first time on this forum! There's a lot of activity on this one---A GOOD SHOWAND PERFORMANCE!

Mackie22

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice Vic. The word pleasant comes to mind.

No reason here to parse it all out.

We hear a nice laid back country rock ballad with an effective vocal, arrangement and write.

And the drums sound really good.

Enjoyed it!

J&B

User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Mackie. Glad you found your way back.
This is a good site for good feedback.

The lyrics were 99.9% yours so thank you for letting me loose on them.

Vic

User Showcase
vicarn Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you J&B. I hope it's "pleasant" in a good way.
I was a little confused by "parse" and had to look it up.
Imagine that, all my years on this planet and i hadn't come across that word before.
Now I'll be using it a lot. I may even write it into the next song. :-)

I appreciate your taking the time again to comment.
Thanks again.

Vic

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good song, I like your vocal and to my ears it's sitting just about where it should be in the mix.

Love the chorus!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,307
Posts731,355
Members38,411
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
DJ Jazzy Jimbob, PatSar63, danidatoad, resower, Nicholas -PG Music
38,410 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 213