#103230 01/24/11 12:11 PM
User Showcase
Skyline Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
A straight-ahead ‘give me one last chance’ pop song:
"No Next Time".
I was trying for a big 'live in the studio' sound complete with brass section. I hope you like it.
Play loud for maximum ambience!

John

Last edited by Skyline; 01/25/11 05:51 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
John, that is one big full sound! Really great mix. I even detect an undertone of Earth, Wind & Fire - very nice. I really enjoyed it.

And I did play it loud as well for maximum enjoyment!

Bob

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hrm... Looks like the domain expired.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Skyline Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks David.
Something scary has happened overnight. My domain name is not due for renewal until November 2011 but has been hijacked by a Chinese outfit called 'Onlinenic' and given a renewal date of yesterday!! Googling tells me that this sort of hijacking - and then holding to ransom - is common! I'm now waiting on the line to my host/domain provider.

Choice of links (one above also amended):
A."No Next Time" - file only.
B."No Next Time" - page on my web site with lyrics and info.
Lyrics:

1. I said those hurtful things when I knew they weren’t true.
It’s happened many times: I keep on hurting you.
I’m rain that hides your sun.
‘Can’t believe what I have done.

2. I  search the empty streets, this time I’m so alone.
And how I really wish the night would bring you home.
I know I crossed that line,
But I swear I’ll change this time.

Chorus:
There’ll be no next time, this is the last time I make you cry.
There’ll be no next time, believe me, look in my eyes.
All I bring are words that burn, I should bite my tongue; the lesson’s learned.
This time there’ll be no next time.
I promise, there’ll be no next time.

3. I know I brought you pain,
But I won’t do that again.

Chorus:
There’ll be no next time, etc.

This time there’ll be no next time.
I promise, there’ll be no next time.

I used BIAB to make the bass and keyboard parts which were played through my Roland X6 synth. I programmed the drums using Addictive Drums. Vocals, vocal harmonies, guitar by yours truly. Mixed in Sonar 8.5 and I used TRacks3 to master the finished track.

John

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi John,

What a great arrangement and great mix! I can't begin to imagine how much thought and planning has gone into this production. Great vocals. I'm heading back for another listen now.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Chicago anyone?

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I couldn't get it to play on your web site, but I saw the upload above -- that worked. I don't know about the "Faces" reference on your website, but the Blood, Sweat and Tears / Chicago comparisons make sense. I can tell you put a lot work into this one. Not what I listen to much, but it is a good job all around.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
User Showcase
Skyline Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel: Many thanks, glad you enjoyed it. Yes, it was a long project actually, especially with getting the brass right (a mixture of samples and MIDI) but it's working on my projects that gives me most fun!
Robb: Yes, reminiscent of Chicago. Not quite the huge 'chug' of "25 or 6 to 4" but still punchy I hope! That was helped by using the vintage compressors in TRacks3.
Kevin: Today I at last sorted the problem out with my service provider so my main web domain name is mine again...their fault, no apology of course. The direct link to the song's page on my web is Here.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
John, I really like the way you did this song. Enjoyed listening to it.

Steve

Steve
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is my kind of music right here. This is a great mix and song. Which Piano RT did you use in this one? It fits like a glove in this song, wow. Ok, just saw it was a midi track, even more impressive !! Which style?

Great lyric, hook, melody, vocals and music. Fantastic production !!

Trax

Last edited by Muzic Trax; 01/29/11 10:12 AM.
User Showcase
Skyline Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks Trax, glad you enjoyed it!
For the piano I started with ZZBOSSA, believe it or not, and then tweaked a lot of the part myself in Sonar's piano roll view.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi John,

WOW - awesome arranging! All the little details keep it moving and interesting. I'm a big fan of your voice too. Great job.

User Showcase
Skyline Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Many thanks Josie! Glad you liked it.
I confess to having to do a few vocal re-takes in the second half, having given myself the challenge of a whole tone key change!

BTW, I've nearly finished my first ever C&W original - I'm going to be very keen on hearing your opinion of it.

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Great job John!
Very nice arrangement. Nice vocals.
The horns in the intro weren't very convincing, but in the song were really good.
Congratulations!

Mick

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Skyline:

Altogether a fine, professional recording, no complaints, the complexity is astonishing, as others have said.

Actually, the horns were my favorite part, and I would appreciate more detail on how you created them... I would like to use your song as a model for stuff I would like to do (some day), and any tips on how to create that "real" sound would be great.

I have always been a huge Chicago fan, and this track of your was just superb, all the way around. Now, if PG can make up some Terry Kath Realtracks.... Terry used to be a neighbor of mine in the San Fernando Valley, r.i.p. Terry.

Brad -- My FAWM
User Showcase
Skyline Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks for listening Brad, and for the kind comments. Good idea, some brass RealTracks!
Some details of the brass sounds on this track:
(1) I programmed two midi tracks note by note - the riffs weren't all that complex (like good brass parts) and there are repeats. The second track used harmony notes to the first.
(2) These two MIDI tracks were played through my Roland Fantom synth, one using a Brass Section patch and the other a Trumpet patch.
(3) I added three audio tracks, trumpet, trombone, sax and used individual note samples that came with a Computer Music magazine covcer disk. It was useful that the single note samples came in three flavours, soft, medium and hard blown. I used the softer sounds in the verses.
(4) I made sure that the notes in all the five tracks were slightly before or after the beat and not exactly in time with one another, in order to add a more 'human' imperfect feel.
(5) I used a room reverb on the brass tracks to add more realism.
(6) I panned the five tracks at different places off the left to give the impression of a section of players.

It all took quite a while but I enjoyed doing it!

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Won't play for me. Hit the play button, goes nowhere.

FYI

Dan

User Showcase
Skyline Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dan, I had problems with my domain/web host and the direct link didn't always work.
Instead click on 'Songs' in my signature below, select the Songs page and it's the first on the list. Thanks!

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Great tune! Perfect- top to bottom! I too like your vocal quality. Interesting arrangement and nicely mixed. Keep up the excellent work!

Dan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sorry I'm late to the party - well done! I agree with all the other posters - you've done a fantastic job here. I especially like the spacious sound in your mix - very clean, so all the little details come through. Cool!

'Cause I'm a twit, I can't help but suggest "I'll bite my tongue" that for "I should bite my tongue". (I should take my own advice!) Other than that, perfection!

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,624
Posts735,210
Members38,521
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Bpnsrinu, DanyLevy, Arnav Singh, vasilich, maxrob61
38,520 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185