Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#109067 03/22/11 06:53 AM
User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Lamented Sadness is a song I wrote so I could practice my wind controller.

This is my first wind controller song that I was able to play all the way through without any punch-in or punch-outs. It is also the first one that had very limited midi editing. I’m slowly learning this beast.

This started in BiaB with the Karma-New Age Smooth Jazz midi style and was morphed into this.

I hope you like it for what it is.

As always constructive criticism is welcomed.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
MarioD,

This is FIRST CLASS! Well done! Very well arranged. And very well produced. You are definitely coming along nicely on your wind controller!

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B
Hi MarioD i thought your song was beautiful,i love drifting sounds that stir up emotions and a sadness that creeps up on you and has you trying to control ones inner feelings ,in my opinion ,this beautiful tune is excellent ,my very best wishes Brian.

User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Steve and Brian, Thank you very much for listening and the extremely kind reviews.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I am listening to this sitting out in the sun, looking at a wonderful blue sky. PERFECT.All I need now is a view of the clear blue sea
Very relaxing.
Wish I had such good control over my wind

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You know I'm a staunch fan of yours Mario, and this was another excellent piece. Memorable, well executed. Nothing else to add; just playing it for the third time...

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
This is really beautiful. Very well done Mario. The only thing I would suggest is to bring the guitar up and center it more. I'm guessing that's you playing. There's room in this landscape you created here to make your guitar part more precious- more prominent, more center stage, and perhaps more effect such as maybe a ping pong delay to really open up the ears. At the moment, the arrangement is lush but the guitar part is a bit anemic sounding. The notes are fine- the part is fine. Give it a sailing life within the lush lanscape and it will be a very strong feature. Not blasting loud- I don't mean that. Just...give it special life, if you follow. Figures right, I pick up on the guitar and you killed yourself on the wind controller part! LOL! Yes, it sounds very nice too. But the importance of it to you may have taken up a lot of your ears at mix time. Don't forget the love to the supporting role- the guitar too.

Really nice movement!

Dan

User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanx for listening and the words of encouragement.

Gibson – this is the only “wind” instrument that I have midi control over

Skyline – that’s for the HUGH compliments.

Dan – Yep that is I on the geetar. Thanx for the suggestions and as time permits I will try them. You re right in that I did concentrate on the wind controller and just threw everything else together.

User Showcase
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Hi Mario,
Being a newby to the forum I stumbled across your song last night and was blown away.
Hauntingly beautiful...I've been dabbling in music production for a few years and when I
heard the song I couldn't resist downloading it and having a play.
About a year ago I found a free VST on the net called CLAS, an acronym for a complicated name programed by a scientist in the US. It is designed to be inserted in the stereo output bus on your DAW mixer. It's hard to describe what it does but basically it creates space between instruments and vocals to the point where it feels like you can walk around and see all the players...I hope that makes sense!.
I also added a tiny bit of reverb and bottom end EQ to bring out that beautiful bass.I must stress at this point that my playing around is not in any way a reflection on your musicality or production skills, they speak for themselves, however it is just one persons interpretation using the software that is available out there to enhance the music. I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended and I look forward to more inspirational music from your pen.
If you would like to hear the results contact me at paulyoung at dodo dot com dot au and I will Email the MP3 to you.

Best regards,

Paul.

User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

Hi Mario,
Being a newby to the forum I stumbled across your song last night and was blown away.
Hauntingly beautiful...I've been dabbling in music production for a few years and when I
heard the song I couldn't resist downloading it and having a play.
About a year ago I found a free VST on the net called CLAS, an acronym for a complicated name programed by a scientist in the US. It is designed to be inserted in the stereo output bus on your DAW mixer. It's hard to describe what it does but basically it creates space between instruments and vocals to the point where it feels like you can walk around and see all the players...I hope that makes sense!.
I also added a tiny bit of reverb and bottom end EQ to bring out that beautiful bass.I must stress at this point that my playing around is not in any way a reflection on your musicality or production skills, they speak for themselves, however it is just one persons interpretation using the software that is available out there to enhance the music. I hope you take this in the spirit it is intended and I look forward to more inspirational music from your pen.
If you would like to hear the results contact me at paulyoung at dodo dot com dot au and I will Email the MP3 to you.

Best regards,

Paul.

Thanx Paul for the outstanding review.

I’d love to hear what you have done with this and I’m sure many others here would like that as well. Why not just upload it so we can all here it?
I have no problem with that.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mario, just beautiful. Really great job on this.

Bob

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Downloading Lamented Sadness (this is like called a double entendre)...really catches the "windmills of your mind"....it's a ten minute download on broadband here in Florida...
but I know it'll be worth the wait!!
I was playing one of your other gems that I had downloaded long ago, to try out the capabilities of that WAVEMAX SOUND EDITOR...that I gave people a heads up on...because it was a giveaway of the day offering, and I used it to "perform" some editing...to see how "neat" it could be to work with.

<snip> Please read rule 7: "No" advertising </snip>

Alright...your wave came out with "flying colors"...frequency analyzer, excellent range...I added a bit of phaser effect for a few of the ending measures...
and...
VOILA!!!
Another genius recording...I also use my lil yamaha B-1A on my Yamaha CS6X keyboard...

See you in Key West, someday....we'll set you up at the new Mario's Hilton Jazz Club!!

Last edited by Will - PG Music; 03/25/11 07:16 AM.
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Beautiful Song very methodical. Expertly put together. Thanks for sharing this fine work!

My Music Reverbnation
My Music Myspace
Read My Blog

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Hi Mario,
Here is a link to your song...hope you like it

Regards,

Paul

http://soundcloud.com/yo-5/lamented-sadness-2

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
That's a very cool sight
I just signed up and it's got a good forum going...
Who was that artist doing Matilda...you???? Excellent!!!

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
"About a year ago I found a free VST on the net called CLAS, an acronym for a complicated name programed by a scientist in the US. It is designed to be inserted in the stereo output bus on your DAW mixer. It's hard to describe what it does but basically it creates space between instruments and vocals to the point where it feels like you can walk around and see all the players"

I listened. Ok at first, but it did something weird to the positioning- pushing the lead instrument back. Sounded more like a room effect. That plug could possibly be more effective mixing into it, rather than applying it to a stereo mix after the fact. But more verb in general sounded good, although overall- the original sounded better compared, to me. But the original could use some specific ambiance treatment as well.

Dan

User Showcase
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Hi Dan,
You are are right on the money re CLAS. It is specifically designed to be used right from
the start of a project (post)and once every track is recorded it completely changes the way you
approach the final mix down. I've also noticed that when it is applied to the mix sent to the
performer's headphones, while doing a take, it seems to inspire their performance... I
know that is subjective, however it is just an observation. Regarding Mario's song, I didn't set
out to do a remaster, only to show the possibilities of a great song and I totally agree with your comments.
You may have noticed some songs on the web site where I posted Mario's song. CLAS was an integral part
of all of them and I am very happy with the results. I suspect that major studio's around the world
have known about CLAS for some time however, they have kept a lid on it for commercial reasons...again,just
an observation.

Regards,

Paul

User Showcase
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
Hi GDaddy,

No it isn't me singing, however, if I thought an operation would help me sing like her, I
would be fist in line!!. Her name is Norma Kelly (full blown Irish) and she has been singing
country around the traps here in Perth for some 25 years. She has won numerous awards from
the Australian music industry for her performances and is now semi retired. What we are doing
together musically is all about fun for both of us. She has always wanted to step outside
her musical comfort zone hence songs like Matilda and Misty etc. In all but one of the songs we have
done so far the vocal was done and dusted in one take. She never rehearses a song prior to recording
and simply trusts her instincts at the time in fact in years gone by she was know around the local
recording studio's as "One Take Norma" and they all loved her because she saved them so much time
and money. I'm looking forward to many years of musical fun with her in the future..sometimes the dice
falls in your favor.

Regards,

Paul

User Showcase
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
For me Pauls version took something away from the song maybe you are right saying it might work if it was mixed with the track.Marios sounded perfect to me and didnt need changing at all...and Im listening to it with one tweeter blown in one of my studio monitors Frankie

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
User Showcase
MarioD Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Many thanx for listening and the very generous comments.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
MIX-I-MUSIX 2.0, Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz
38,441 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195