Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Here's a song co-written by an old friend of mine (and musical mentor) and myself, It's a tribute to his older sister who died in a car accident.
It's all bluegrass RT's except for the harmony guitar fills & vocals which are me. I set it all up in BIAB and then transfered the tracks to Reaper where I added my guitar & vocals and did my mixing.

I hope you enjoy. All comments are welcome.

Greg

http://www.mymusicstream.com/gregachord/song-8407900653438.html

Words & Music: Lenard & Achord ©2012

Becky Was An Outlaw
Tempo: 88
Key: D & E

Becky was an outlaw Charlie was too
They fell in love like lovers do
They held on tight till life was through
Becky was an outlaw but Charlie was too

Well they’d both done time but that’s in the past
They had the kind of love most never have
But the parole man says it’s a crime
Your goin back to jail for a lover’s night

(Chorus)

They had big dreams of livin free
But the future plan could never be
Down a lonesome road one fateful night
They missed the curve Becky lost her life

Now Charlie cries ‘cause baby’s gone
Just a broken man tryin’ to carry on
But his heart is tied to a memory
Of a love they shared that’s history

(Chorus)

User Showcase
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Good job! Loved the story line of the song; really kept me wanting to hear the song until the end. Nice voice work from the person(s) doing the vocals. Also liked the chord progression and especially the key change.

Keep it up!

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the kind words.
I think it's a good story line too. The key change idea comes from my friend, he does that a lot in his songs.
I'm doing all the vocals at this point, but I want to get my co-writer over to do a vocal track as well... Then maybe I'll do a little alternating verse thing like Waylon & Willie.

Thanks again,

Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds good Greg. The story is a little vague to me but enjoyed it nonetheless. Great vox and guitar work - love the production.

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks Josie I appreciate it.
As far as the story being a little vague... I guess that just allows you to use "your" imagination.

Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Greg,

You and your friend have written a really catchy song with this one. From beginning to end you carried me along on a wave of outstanding production. You've really shown what is possible with BIAB. I thoroughly enjoyed journey.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Noel,

Thank you so much for the listen & your kind comments.

I appreciate it.

Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hey Greg, I really enjoyed this! (in fact, so far I have enjoyed all of your songs)

comments:

1) is it a coincidence, or by plan, that Becky and Charlie start with the same letters as Bonnie and Clyde? If by plan, the association works for me! If by accident, then lucky turn of chance! It is surprising how small, almost imperceptible seeds of reference planted in a song can lead the listener to associate the good feelings they have for the subliminally referenced item and project it onto your song.

2) you must have cut and pasted to get recurring riffs that come across as cohesive signature riffs

3) your voice is very marketable, somewhat like Kenny Rogers'. It has a distinctive quality to it and that's good.

4) I take it you played the guitar, since you are a guitar player. Sounded good to me!

overall the production sounded very commercially viable to me. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to turn on the radio and hear it. Keep up the good work!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Agree whole heartdly with all above.
Keep it up.

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
@Greg...I never noticed this before in your other songs, but you sound a lot like John Hartford. Same vocal quality, and perfect for this song. Nice job all around. Particularly like the twin guitars at the end. What were you playing there?

Bob

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Pat,

Thank you for your very kind feedback.

It was just a coincidence, the Becky & Charlie / Bonnie & Clyde thing... Didn't even cross my mind till you brought it up.

The song is a true story. They'd both had trouble with the law in the past and Becky was driving the night they missed a curve and she was killed. As the song say's, Charlie survived... but I don't know that he's ever really gotten over it.

I lucked out with the backing tracks and didn't do any cut/paste, I just generated the tracks several times till I got the one's I liked best and then used volume envelopes (in Reaper) to take a particular one out or bring it up where I thought best.

Thanks for the vocal compliment & yes I did play all the fill guitar parts.

Rob,

Hey thanks!

Bob,

Hey thanks for the Hartford comparison, it may have something to do with the keys I'm singing in
(D & E) which aren't keys I normally sing in!
I always liked that song of his that had the line: "I wanna see you get that golden globe award... for both of your sunbeams".

I played my "Custom Shop" Tele Custom Deluxe (used the "Twisted Tele" bridge PU) and did three harmony's on the bendy end lick... the one panned to the left... I'm bending a wound string and accentuating the 7th note.
I thought it was pretty cool so that part might be a little louder than the other two.

Thanks again guys,

Greg

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Greg,

Good job on this song. Sad story, that made a good song! Enjoyed it.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Greg super song, outstanding mix, lyrics and vocal. I really liked your guitar work also.

Two thumbs up.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Nice job throughout I really liked the song and performance, just don't get this line, "Your goin back to jail for a lover’s night",

Lucky so far today that is all I did not get.

Later,

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Love your Guitar pickin and Singin Greg!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Nice job throughout I really liked the song and performance, just don't get this line, "Your goin back to jail for a lover’s night",

yeah, in the context of jail, that line makes me uncomfortable (in a KY jelly kind of way)

User Showcase
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Steve, Mario & Tommy,

Thank you very much guys!

Danny,

That line has seemed a little sketchy to me as well... My buddy already had that verse written when I got involved.
I've been thinking "for another night" might be better.

Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,561
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200