Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
This is the first entry in a planned series showcasing RealTracks jazz artists. Here, the stars are Eric Marienthal (soprano sax), who solos, and the exceptional pianist Miles Black who comps with beautiful voicings and uncanny fills. I wonder if Forum members have reflected on what a remarkable feat of imagination the RealTracks concept is. In Jazz, players are always behind or ahead of the beat, routinely crossing measure lines. BIAB/RealBand handles it. Don't ask me how.

The tune performed here, "Lush Life," is a jazz heavyweight with lyrics and music written by Billy Strayhorn during the years 1933-1938. The song is notoriously difficult to sing. There are virtually no II/V7/I resolutions within its recondite changes. SINATRA gave up on it right in the studio. You can actually hear it happen: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7200812 The latter NPR sound clip is an absolute "must listen."

The definitive version is usually attributed to the peerless Johnny Hartman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILDqWHutba0. You MUST hear that! Johnny was so modest that he describes this version, performed with John Coltrane in 1964, as having come out "pretty good." I've changed some of the lyrics where (1) the original English usage is archaic; (2) the lyrics are incoherent and disputed (distant gay traces, K traces (?) - why would they need to be "washed away by too many through the day"? - become "pain traces" here); (3) the lyric evokes unpleasant imagery (for whatever reason, "a trough-ful of hearts" makes me picture a feeding station filled with bloody, beating human organs and is changed here to "my thought full of tears."

Aleck Rand vocal and guitar, RealTracks artists Miles Black (piano), Eric Marienthal (soprano sax), Neil Swainson (bass), Terry Clarke (drums).

Listen to LUSH LIFE here: https://soundcloud.com/aleckrand/lush-life
________________________________________________________________________________

I AM LICENSED BY ASCAP TO STREAM MY OWN VERSIONS OF ANY OF THE 8.5 MILLION SONGS MANAGED BY ASCAP. KINDLY DIRECT ALL INQUIRIES CONCERNING LICENSING AGREEMENTS AND OTHER COPYRIGHT ISSUES TO ASCAP AT http://www.ascap.com/

Last edited by aleck rand; 03/21/13 08:25 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Aleck,

it's not only difficult to sing but also to listen
to (not what we call an earworm).
Your interesting voice and guitar playing together
with the well chosen RealTracks make it something special
(in a positive way).

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Aleck,

Impressive

Also, it might pay to look up the copyright laws and double-check just for you own safety. When you say ...
Quote:

lyrics and music written by Billy Strayhorn more than 70 years (hence, out of range of copyright protection)

As far as I'm aware, Billy Strayhorn died in the late 60s which, inasmuch as I understand copyright laws, would still make his music in copyright given that copyright is measured from the death of the composer and not from when the song was written.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
That's a good point. Lush Life is still handled by ASCAP. The sheet music I have says that the copyright was renewed.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Aleck,

I listened to the NPR thing and then watch the Hartman video before listening to your version. You "did the song proud"! Really well done. But I did wonder about the copyright thing....

Really nice job, regardless.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Aleck !

It sure was not the easiest
tune to perform but you nailed it
flawlessly !:) Funny maybe, but
some chords or chord progressions
sung sounded exactly like Frank Zappa
whom I do admire to a great extent !:)

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Noel, Floyd and Guenter. I'm gratified by your positive comments and sympathetic to your questions about copyright law. I've modified my post in order to provide an answer right at the get-go. I still have not set up a personal profile and had intended to put the disclaimer there. I've got the University of Rhode Island webmaster working on my bio page as I write this. Not ready yet. The 70 year rule-of-thumb (i.e., if it's been written within the last 70 years, assume it's copyrighted, if not, not) is only a rough guide. It doesn't cover copyright renewals, legal agreements with the estates of deceased musicians, etc. However, my ASCAP license covers all of these.

Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Dani,

Flawlessly? Such a kind response. But, really, if you want to hear flawless, you must listen to the definitive version of this rarely performed song as done by Johnny Hartman, may his soul rest in peace. He has nothing to fear from me. Many people hearing this tune for the first time find it difficult to listen to, and actually don't like it regardless of who sings it. You know, there are two types of geniuses: The first you could call a "conventional" genius: this person is like you or me, except much, much stronger - but at least we can understand, possibly with a lot of work, where their ideas come from. Then there is the genius that we might call a "magician." His or her ideas seem to drop out of the sky without a return address. One sees the brilliance of their creations, but their insights have no past, nothing to go back to for clarification. Billy Strayhorn was such a genius. The harmonic logic of Lush Life cannot be anticipated in advance. It unfolds with surprise after surprise. Yes, Billy Strayhorn was a magician.

Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Sounds Great! Thanks Aleck

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Noel,

You're right: I blew it on the "70 year rule-of-thumb." Mose Allison does this hilarious song called "My Brain"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAwfnkO-PhA Start listening at 2:03 to the end, about a minute. It tells you all you need to know about Aleck's brain.

Thanks for the correction

With kind regards,

Aleck

User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Thank you Peter - Of course, you're the one I had in mind when I called the RealTracks concept a remarkable feat of imagination.

Aleck Rand

User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
You did a difficult tune much justice. Nice vocal play! Thanks for sharing!

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Yes my man...great tune and very tricky to "emote" but your rendition is admirable.

OK...so I can't find Torme doin' it, but I found this one that is a beautiful rendition of "Stardust"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s1YVwGCgik&list=RD022c-wmgN6xuk

Lush Life to Lady Be Good....it all swings...with Real Band and BIAB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzq8BqVnQJY&list=RD022c-wmgN6xuk

It's all just "Love For Sale" in one way or another...or, "Just One of those Jazz Things.....or maybe ever just a "Green Dolphine Street", ala George Shearing doing merely, just...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtPXJJE4hLM&list=RD022c-wmgN6xuk

Last edited by GDaddy; 03/21/13 08:49 PM.
User Showcase
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hey G,

What a warm and friendly response. It triggered a memory of an ancient LP album - I think it was on Prestige, with two cats on the cover, each with an arm over the others' shoulder like best pals. I can't remember who they were, but the name of the album was "My Main Man!" In today's world such a picture might carry serious orientation implications.

I followed up on your recommendations and as someone who has never been a big Mel Torme fan (my "main persons" are Arthur Prysock, Johnny Hartman and Carmen McRae) I must say that I was impressed by Mel's ability as an improviser. He sings convincing bop lines with impeccable intonation, breath control and articulation.

I once read a review on Pops' singing that went something like, "Louis sings great ideas, has perfect intonation and a crummy voice. You got a problem with that?" I got the third one down pat, and am currently working hard at the first two.

With kind regards,

Aleck

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
It’s all been said. You did a fantastic job on the vocal.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi Aleck,

it's not only difficult to sing but also to listen
to (not what we call an earworm).
Your interesting voice and guitar playing together
with the well chosen RealTracks make it something special
(in a positive way).

My thoughts exactly.

Very well done, very difficult song.

Later,

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
What they all said - nice job on what had to be a tedious (yet rewarding) production!

Regarding public domain tunes, rights, etc., I've posted here several of our arrangements of songs in the public domain. In the US it is an exceedingly complex issue. But the bottom line and the most strict interpretation of the law is that if the song was published (sheet music) prior to 1923 it is most assuredly PD. After that it is considered not PD unless the rights were not renewed....and to further complicate things if the song was simply recorded that is considered to constitute original proof of ownership. I always look up the song via the Harry Fox Agency's song search feature. There are also several websites that list songs that are in the PD -- but even they offer caveats. If the song is attributed to a specific artist but has been recorded multiple times as PD or Traditional I think it is safe to assume that the rights are not owned by anybody. Of course you can copyright your version of any song that protects your arrangement.

What I've discovered is that many of the 1920's - 1930'a blues and even country/folk songs that I love have strong roots in African-American spirituals and field songs. Somebody may have copyrighted the song 70 years ago or more but it is obvious that it was ripped off -- in many cases nearly word for word and in other situations a verse from here and there.

And, even if you own a digital or mechanical license to record/sell a song it is still a "cover song" and would not be allowed on this user forum -- as I interpret all of this.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,580
Posts734,678
Members38,499
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200