Print Thread
Go To
#219008 10/24/13 06:57 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Still firmly stuck in the 80s with this one. A Prophet 5 bass line, DX7 piano, Phil Collins snare and brass which sounds like it came from Bronski Beat. (Alyn will remember them!) It's all Powertracks again, with Jessie joining me on the chorus.

The story has been told before, but I thought it might stand one more time.

A LIGHT ON THE ROAD
It was a day just like any other
When anyone could do as they pleased
But a trip down the road to Damascus
Somehow filled him with a sense of unease
There was no reason to get excited
It was a journey he'd done many times
But today somehow felt a bit different
There was something preying on his mind

See the light, brighter than the midday sun
See the light, lighting up the things you've done

After the light there was darkness
And blinded he fell to his knees
And a voice appeared as from nowhere
Saying "Why do you persecute me?
And some people said he sure had it coming
And some people even thought he would die
But three days into his darkness
The scales began to fall from his eyes

It's funny how things can happen
They can change in the blink of an eye
You can change a person from bad to good
In the space of a flash of light.

Many thanks to anyone who has the time to listen and comments are always welcome.

ROG.

ROG #219015 10/24/13 07:29 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG
That was very good.
I do like the break for persecute and the production/ theme/ song/ your voice/ Jessie's backing vox. She has the feel of Kim Wilde even tho' she is in the background.

Excellent, as usual.
You certainly show how good Power Tracks can be in the right hands.

1980's what a decade!! The birth of Synths YAY and the birth of my first home studio, The DX7 piano was an ubiquitous sound then and I still would love to have that keyboard (I have a DX21).

I remember the jokes about Bronski Beat, none of which I can repeat on this family website blush I liked their music tho' "Small Town Boy" was a revelation at the time and was one of the many songs which made me want synths and more synths!

Alyn

ROG #219033 10/24/13 04:28 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
The 80's.... I remember them better than the late 70's.... wink wink...

Cool tune and it's well done.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 10/24/13 04:28 PM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
ROG #219069 10/25/13 07:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
ROG,

Nice opening - the horns - the snare...

AND YES!!! the ROG vocal!!!! Get over it, buddy.. YOU can sing!

And a very cool song on top of that. A terrific write. Interesting throughout. LOVE the chorus - Jessie sounds great! Cool bridge - the lone e-piano was nice - I thought the last line (of the bridge) should have more of an instrument build going back in...

Excellent production and mix. I assume that trumpet is midi? If so, it is surprisingly well done - even though I "don't do midi" I know, that ain't easy...

Super.

floyd

ROG #219071 10/25/13 07:28 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rog,

The conversion of Saul of Tarsus in Acts chapter 9 is (in my mind, anyway) one of the most compelling accounts in the bible, for a variety of reasons. I was surprised (in a good way) to see your song about it here. You are an interesting person... if you do make it to the USA one of these days, I hope we get the chance to meet and talk. But, back to the music..

Your sound has been been compared to that of Phil Collins and Tom Petty before, but this is the first time my ears screamed "Todd Rundgren!" as I listened.

As stated many times before, I really like your approach to song-writing... add this song to my ever-growing list of "Rog Favorites"

ROG #219074 10/25/13 07:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rog !

I did like this tune really much
and especially those superb
harmonizing vocals you do
together with Jessie !:))
Just super !!:))

Cheers
Dani

ROG #219079 10/25/13 08:57 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Rog,

good song and arrangement.
You reproduced that 80s sound perfectly well.
Especially like the harmonies.

Guenter

ROG #219081 10/25/13 09:12 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A little Eagles a little Neil and a lot of Rog, Good Stuff!

later,

ROG #219160 10/26/13 07:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds great. Excellent harmonies and vocal. Loved the story in the lyrics.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
ROG #219180 10/26/13 01:49 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Rog,

Really, really nice! I think your vocals are really well done and fitting for this song. Good production, good write. All good!

Enjoyed.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
ROG #219209 10/26/13 07:38 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
great take on an old tale and the chorus lifts into the stratosphere!

Last edited by gruverider; 10/26/13 07:39 PM.
ROG #219225 10/26/13 10:03 PM
User Showcase
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I hear a little Henley influence in that one. the vocals are solid, touching on early Dylanishness. (i made that word up) great backing tracks. Very full soundscape. Love the bridge around 2:25 or so. It gave it a very nice change up.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
ROG #219275 10/27/13 05:04 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi rog well done buddy love the horns great mix and arrangement hey I missed voices in your head really great tune thanks eric

Last edited by F.M.M.; 10/27/13 05:05 PM.

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
ROG #219538 10/30/13 03:22 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for focus on the 80's. That was a near lost decade for me other than Bluegrass as that was about all I listened to and played. Now I'm getting to enjoy this stuff. This gives me a Tom Petty feeling and that, IMHO, is a very good thing. This a fine song all the way around and full of wonderful dynamics. Thanks for posting!

ROG #219643 11/01/13 02:23 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Many thanks to everyone for the comments.

Alyn - It was listening to Steve Winwood's Arc Of A Diver album that got me into synths in a big way. If you've not heard it, you should check it out.

Floyd - You're right, that trumpet is midi with a sound from Edirol Orchestral. Playing in the notes was the easy bit - the hard part is juggling the volume slider at the same time as the pitch bend and modulation wheels. It's listening to Steve Winwood that got me doing it - he's the master at it.

ROG.

ROG #219644 11/01/13 02:30 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat, Herb, Danny, Robh - I'm flattered by the comparisons. I'm a big fan of all those people.

Dani, Scott, Guenter, Steve - The vocals and harmonies are something we spend a lot of time on. Glad you liked them.

Herb, Gruverider, FMM - thanks for the nice comments guys.

Janice and Bud - I've just discovered that Jessie is a Bluegrass fan, so we're trying to do something which vaguely resembles that style. It might sound like bluegrass in the 80s though! Watch this space.

ROG.

ROG #219645 11/01/13 02:31 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hey ROG,

Firstly, I apologise for taking so long to get to this one. Boy am I glad I didn't miss it! It's brilliant!

I absolutely love the way you perform this. And Jessie's vocals are a perfect match in every way.

It's a huge pat on the back from me for all you done in putting this together. So much effort must have gone into getting this to sit so well together. The arrangement is AWESOME smile

You should be mighty proud of this one!
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
ROG #219646 11/01/13 02:36 AM
User Showcase
ROG Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Noel - Many thanks, my friend.

We certainly put a few hours in on this one and I can't overemphasize the value of Jessie's input. These girls are as good now as any of the session players I've ever worked with. I feel honoured to be working with them.

ROG.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,725
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197