Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is the second to last song that is going onto my collaboration album. The song was selected by my good friend Karen Wilmot who you some of you may have heard me refer to as “Cuzzie”.

Karen and I had a duo in about 98/99 called “Alice Band”. We did the pubs and private functions, dressed up in Abba wigs, drank tequila and generally had a ball. Karen left SA in 2000 and has not really come back and so a wonderful period of my life gave way to an equally wonderful period of becoming a wife and mother.

Anyway, this is long story! Cuzzie asked to sing Beautiful Scars for the album and tried with no success to record some vocals in her little beachfront flat in Oman. She then went to Bali to run some workshops and I asked her to try and find a studio there to lay down the tracks. She found a little studio in Bali and laid down this wonderful vocal for me.

The song is a deeply personal song about growing up in that dreadful bush war in Zimbabwe in the 1970’s and how all of us who lived through that time have end up with beautiful scars. The scars have made us what we are. We cannot regret what has happened. It just is. I wrote the song last year but battled to put a melody or chords to it so I asked a woman called Cheryl Teal, who I had met on the internet, to help. Cheryl wrote the music for this song.

I was not really happy with my first attempt at mixing this song and asked Herb to listen to the mix and see what he thought. He offered to do a mix, which he has done over the last few days. In the meantime I made a few tweaks to my mix.

So the long and the long of it is that there are two versions of this song and I am not going to say who mixed which version (although I am sure you will be able to guess!). We would love your input on which mix you prefer and why.

Have at it (as Floyd would say).

Beautiful Scars with Karen Wilmot MIX A

Beautiful Scars with Karen Wilmot MIX B

BEAUTIFUL SCARS WITH KAREN WILMOT FINAL MIX

Lyrics
Born in '64 'neath the shadow of a war
Fear was written on my page
Silent spaces silent prayer waiting for the news
the names of the unlucky few

Beautiful scars and Jagged imperfections
Hidden down in the pocket of a coat I don't wear
Beautiful scars and Careful redirection
Covered over in colours A sketch no longer there

My past with tales Retold stacked wooden Russian dolls
I know if I take a look pressed in a dust poetry book
Show up in print I am a frame I'm living in

Covered over in colours a sketch no longer there

Through the chaos and tears hands reach across the years
Never knowing whats in store
It's not finished yet there's nothing to regret
And there will be a thousand more

`

Last edited by JosieC; 05/29/15 07:08 AM.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
https://lyriclab.net
Play-along with songs you know and love, download SGU files
https://playiit.com/
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Nice song!! I like the 2nd mix better. The first has a little bit of a retro sound in its production (brighter with more verb) and is nice but the second one really captures the richness of the piano and the voice more. My two cent! Enjoyed it! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Mix A was "brighter" (more trebly) which was distracting to my ear.

I prefer Mix B for that reason.

I enjoyed the B3 organ at about 2:30. Nice touch.

I love your voices and tight harmonies. It was difficult to distinguish who was carrying the melody at times, a good thing.

All in all, an excellent rendering of a beautiful, well-written song.

Thanks for the story behind the song. That clarified things for this loyal fan.

Would have loved to hear your duo. Perhaps SJ will afford me that luxury soon.

You go, girls!

(For the record - In my generation (read old fart), "girl" was not a macho, sexist, derogatory term for your gender. You know me better than to think that. Often languages defy my inertia and meanings change while I remain steady, stagnant.)

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Don Gaynor
Mix A was "brighter" (more trebly) which was distracting to my ear.

I prefer Mix B for that reason.

I enjoyed the B3 organ at about 2:30. Nice touch.

I love your voices and tight harmonies. It was difficult to distinguish who was carrying the melody at times, a good thing.

All in all, an excellent rendering of a beautiful, well-written song.

Thanks for the story behind the song. That clarified things for this loyal fan.

Would have loved to hear your duo. Perhaps SJ will afford me that luxury soon.

I agree with my good friend Don. Mix also was a better all around mix to these old ears. I also liked that B3 organ sound.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Very nice song! Well written. I agree, I like Mix B better. Thanks for sharing this one.

Steve

Steve Young
Music
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of." - Robert Schumann
User Showcase
C
Veteran
Veteran
C
I always thought this was one of your best writes and really enjoyed the vocals Karen did for you. Both mixes were good and are very capable productions on their own. No need to pick a favorite.

Charlie

BIAB Ultra Pak+ 2024:RB 2024, Latest builds: Dell Optiplex 7040 Desktop; Windows-10-64 bit, Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz CPU and 16 GB Ram Memory.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, Karen did a great job on the vocal. And you and Cheryl did a great job on the song.

My take on the mixes - As they stand right now, I'd go with B. That said, with the right tweaking I think Mix A could be a super mix.

Josie

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Joanne,

As Charlie fogle I do not wish to choose between mixes as both have their merits, but I lean sightly to mix A.

But a beautiful song, wonderfully done,

I mentioned to you that during the production period for my rendition of Fancy Underwear that the closest person to a nephew that I had, had been tragically killed in a car crash. Well his family; grandparents and mother, escaped that war also but came to the UK.

Alyn

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
First of all... what a beautiful song! A good write - one that makes you "think" about what is being written - which is good in this case.

The vocal is super - and should be "the star" of whatever mix you choose.

The piano is "a bit of a problem" in both mixes. In B it is too dark and "heavy" - though only slightly. In A it is a bit too bright (and slightly distracting from the vocal) - You did not list the tracks used, but... when featuring a piano (like this) the MIDI SuperTrack pianos are well worth a try as they allow more control over the piano sound (VST). The reverbs added on top of the piano RTs can sometimes give an odd, hollow sound. However... I liked the way mix A used just the piano for the whole first verse - that is very effective.

The reverb on the vocal is more intimate in B - though it could use just a little more. The vocal reverb in A lost a bit of the intimacy - but that might be because there are 2 versions to compare.

The volume of the vocal in B causes all the other instruments to sound too low - or too far back. (Adding a bit more reverb to it might help it sit in the mix better and, therefore, bring the instruments forward - but that is just a guess).

The addition of the drums in A was nice. The bass, however, overwhelmed the song/vocal and seemed the wrong style. It needs to be more subtle - which it seems to be in B. It seemed even more out of place in the following verse (in A).
The bass in the bridge (of A) did work.

The organ in B was nice. The pickup (of the organ) after the pause was "a bit less than smooth" - should be an easy fix. However, I preferred the acoustic and strings treatment in A - the pickup there could have been smoother, too - again, the bass is too agressive...but the drum re-intro is good. I did like the organ being prevalent in the last chorus of B.

Both mixes have some good ideas.

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Greg - Thank you for listening. We appreciate it.

Donald – your enthusiasm always has me smiling. Thank you! I don’t know how long it will be before Cuzzie and I will be able to perform again together. I miss it so much, but, on the bright side I may never have come across this wonderful software and this wonderful forum if I was still playing the pub circuit!

Hi Mario – Thank for listening and commenting. I think the B3 fits nicely.

Steve- thanks for listening. I am glad you enjoyed the song.

Charlie – Thanks! Sitting on the fence is also okay. grin

Josie – Thanks. I do miss Karen’s voice. She has a wonderful tone.

Alyn – I think you did mention that the first time I posted this song. It was a horrible war and the result has been scattered families. Many many people “escaped” to England, the States, Canada and Australia but still yearn for the old country.

Floyd – Thank you thank you for your very detailed review. Every single point is carefully noted and Herb and I are going back to the drawing board together produce one stellar mix that is the best of both and hopefully produce a winner for the CD.

LyricLab A.I assisted chords and lyric app. Export lyrics and import directly into Band-in-a-Box 2024.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Jo, with your mastery of BIAB/RB, consider making a backing track that includes Karen's vox then, on SJ, add your part live. A cyber duo!

I agree with Floyd, in retrospect, your lovely voice should be dominant in the mix.

Do it again after applying these valued suggestions.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Joanne,

I already praised the song the first time you
published it.
Your idea to " produce one stellar mix that is the best of both" is good. Please consider to use the harmony mix of B and the piano and drums of A.
I'm looking forward to the end result.

Guenter

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the comments.

Interestingly enough, I sent a long and detailed email to JC before I saw Floyd's post. We nailed practically all of the same points. Comments on the bass line for A was spot on. That was an "ok" track but I got lazy and didn't work on it or search deep enough to find a better one with a more likeable groove. That may have been fixed with the latest mp3 I sent to JC. It also addresses some of the other issues. None of the changes are really very drastic.... some more so than others but some are very subtle, such as bumping the vocal buss by a dB and reducing the verb by 10%...the lead vox is now a bit more "in your face and close up"...... but the changes are for the better I think.

We're working together, as Joanne mentioned to produce the best version we can, whether it ends up being mine or her's on the CD project doesn't matter, the important thing is that it's top quality all the way.

As we post up new versions....I'm letting JC handle that on this song.... keep the good and valuable advice and opinions coming.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, even though I'm fairly early to the
party it looks like all the bases have
been covered. As has been alluded to
it seems like a melding of the mixes
would yield what y'all are after. We
enjoyed the listen! This project has
been a blast watching it grow.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent write, excellent performance.

I listened to Mix A for a few bars, but found the piano too bright and switched over to Mix B.

As floyd mentioned, I thought the vocal was too forward in the mix, and I would have liked it softened with some reverb.

It might be worth thinking about the vocals from a dynamics perspective as well. The entire song feels like it's sung at the same volume. It makes sense to punch the chorus up to that level, but given the personal nature of the lyrics, you might consider holding back a bit on the verse, both in volume and intensity.

Just a thought.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Sundance
Well, Karen did a great job on the vocal. And you and Cheryl did a great job on the song.

My take on the mixes - As they stand right now, I'd go with B. That said, with the right tweaking I think Mix A could be a super mix.

Josie
+1. This is what I was thinking. Great vocals and the mix is somewhere between the two. It's going to be good. Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
We're still working behind the scenes... working on a blended version of BOTH mixes.... with tweeks to both, and all that other stuff....

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you so much to everybody who listened to both versions and provide input. And a very BIG thank you to Herb for putting up with 1000 emails back and forth and seemingly going in never ending circles. I think we ended up with a great mix that will hold a very proud place on the album.
(PS I have updated the original post with the link but here it is anyway.

Final Mix

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"By Jove, I think she's go' it, Mister 'iggens!"

Still a bit bright to my ears but I'll assume it's me. Too many years working in high ambient industrial noise.

Your lovely voice was certainly more "out front" and easily distinguishable, as it deserves to be.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well I skipped directly to the final mix.
Lovely song, retro sound!
Beautiful vocals too.

Rob

We are Rob Meulman and Anne-Marie Bovenkamp from The Netherlands.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1gsdNLE7_Gy8qavoOplQow/videos
http://rnam.net/

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,550
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199