Page 1 of 2 1 2
#467585 04/16/18 05:25 PM
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
https://soundcloud.com/phil-leith/in-a-mountain-town-original

[Lyrics at the bottom]

The inspiration for this song came mainly from Estes Park, CO, the doorway to Rocky Mountain National Park. It's an eclectic little town. Quirky, like its sister towns on the front range. An easy place to fall in love with. After a few days hiking in the park, it's nice to go into town, hit a restaurant or microbrewery, and just people-watch while you maybe shop and grab an ice cream cone, and catch Brad Fitch (Cowboy Brad) down at Bond park playing for a crowd of people on blankets and lawn chairs. The autumn storm referred to here is the big flood of 2013. Not the first time that's happened and it won't be the last.

Fellow BIAB forum member Bob Buford heard an early version of the song (actually my third go at the song in 5 years) and encouraged me to get Band in a Box to help fill out my "studio" and gave me some pointers on mixing. So this is my first original that I'm "finished" with since I got BIAB. My 4th "go" at the song and I have to say ... I'm liking it a lot better now. I guess I never feel like I'm "done" with a song ... but ... great advice, Bob, glad I got it.

I use Reaper to mix and add FX. On this track, I actually like my own rhythm guitar style and "western" solo. All of the vocals are me. BIAB info:

_ELECROK 4/4 ev8 120 Uplifting Rock2

but just used these instruments:

Bass: 388:Bass, Electric Metal Ev 120 [Dow Tomlin]
Drums: ReaDrums=RockHardModernEv8^2-ClsdHt, OpHt [Wayne Killius]

I used reverb on pretty much everything to fatten it up, including on the BIAB tracks. Yes, I use some gentle ReaTune on my vocals. (I'm still getting used to the idea of me singing as a primary musical expression. I only sang to accompany my guitar before. It's a weird paradigm shift for me.) Also used Acon digital multiplier to thicken especially the background vocals, and threw Xcomp compressor over the master track (Mastering 3 band smile setting). And the Clap Machine from 99 Sounds as a midi clap track. I toned that down to mostly get lost in the mix, only sticking out in the quiet parts.

Over the next few months I'll be going through my short catalog of originals and using BIAB to a much greater extent on some, and lesser extent on others, to get my songs sounding halfway decent.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In a Mountain Town (Phil Leith, 2015)

I've been out where the air is bright and pretty
With my head in the clouds and my feet are gettin' gritty
Gonna head into town for an elk steak and cold mountain brew
A coffee house full of hippies and hikers
And a barbeque joint with a table full of bikers
And a cowgirl swingin' on through pulls her hat rim down
In her mountain town

In a mountain town...

There's a Tropicowboy singin' in the park
Playing songs to order until it gets dark
With kids acting out "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road"
He'll be pickin' with friends 'til the sun turns in
A daytime ranger, a nighttime musician
A hometown boy just helpin' make the world go round
In his mountain town

In a mountain town ...

Take a break from walkin' around
Just sit on a bench by the river splashin' down
And watch how life goes down in a mountain town
An afternoon shower is a mighty long way
From the autumn storm tried to wash her away
It's a peak and valley life of ups and downs
In a mountain town

In a mountain town ...

Last edited by Phil Leith; 04/17/18 07:28 AM.
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Originally Posted By: Phil Leith
Fellow BIAB forum member Bob Buford heard an early version of the song (actually my third go at the song in 5 years) and encouraged me to get Band in a Box to help fill out my "studio" and gave me some pointers on mixing. So this is my first original that I'm "finished" with since I got BIAB. My 4th "go" at the song and I have to say ... I'm liking it a lot better now. I guess I never feel like I'm "done" with a song ... but ... great advice, Bob, glad I got it.

I gave a listen....
Well done, easy listening song.
Vocals/harmonies sound even and well mixed.

I know the lead portion beginning at 1:45 is not a busy one but thought it could have been a DB or so louder but that's just a preferential comment and I'm just listening on laptop speakers.

So....keep up the good work and BIAB is a great tool, that's for sure.

Back to it....

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
You're gonna love BiaB and, BTW, we love Estes Park. We've spend a bit of time there during our summer trips to CO. Lovely and stunning during wildflower season.

So, thanks for the reminder!

"I'm liking it a lot better now. I guess I never feel like I'm "done" with a song ... "

For us they are never finished...simply abandoned at some point.

Thanks for the backstory on the song and how you put it together.

We enjoyed the tune. Have fun with your new toys!

J&B

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I struggle with that stuff. You're probably right about that. I am definitely learning. I mix on a nice pair of studio headphones and it stands out more there. But at work I have just my old standard Sony MDR V150's and I "hear" what you mean. And I may just DO that :-)

Thanks, chulaivet!

Last edited by Phil Leith; 04/17/18 03:38 AM.
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you, Janice & Bud.

I do love that place. It's my favorite park. And a "mere" 13 hours from my house!

:-D

Last edited by Phil Leith; 04/17/18 03:39 AM.
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hey Phil,

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your first song posting. This song gets better every time I listen to it. Love the lyrics, the production, vocals, harmonies, and the overall feel of the song. Looking forward to hearing a lot more from you. So glad you decided to give BIAB a try. There's nothing like it.

Best Wishes,
Bob cool

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I struggle with that stuff. You're probably right about that. I am definitely learning. I mix on a nice pair of studio headphones and it stands out more there. But at work I have just my old standard Sony MDR V150's and I "hear" what you mean. And I may just DO that :-) Thanks, chulaivet!

You're welcome....

Well....we all are always "learning"
I never mix on headphones but we all develop our own processes and there's many ways of achieving the results we are looking for during our (sometimes) vertical learning curves. smile

Keep truckin' along.....

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 04/17/18 03:45 AM.
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I have read that (never mix on headphones). Sadly, in my house, I don't have much choice. I didn't name my studio "The Little Corner Studio" for nothing :-) (It's literally a corner in our bedroom behind a rattan screen).

What I've done in the past is get it pretty good, then go out to my ... car. And fine tune it there. Seemed like if it sounded good in the car, it sounded good anywhere.

Only we just replaced that car last week. I'll try it in the "new" car. But it has a pretty good sound system, and that might not be a good thing. It has to sound decent on crappy laptop amp/speakers as well.

I played with this one on the living room stereo, too.

I'm a little tempted to buy some cheaper speakers for our TV and steal my polk bookshelf speakers back for studio monitors. But then ... I'll need an amp, and ... auuuugggghhhHH!!!

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
I have read that (never mix on headphones).

Personally, I would never tell anyone that as an absolute even though I don't and if I were asked I would not recommend mixing on phones.
But...that's just me.

The thing that becomes important is learning/knowing how your speakers translate to other systems in hearing every instrument you want to be heard or predominant.
In other words.....knowing your monitors regardless of perceived quality....which comes with time along with critical listening.
Mixing is quite subjective from my perspective

Don't mean to hijack.....back to topic.

Last edited by chulaivet1966; 04/17/18 04:06 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi, Phil...

Welcome to the Showcase!

This is a really nice song. Catchy, ear-pleasing...
(Having the lyrics to follow along would be nice)

Your vocals and harmonies are really nice. Your acoustic sounds good, too.

(Since you seem open to mixing observations...)
The balance of the vocals to the acoustic is quite good.
As noted previously, the lead could be louder.
I would also suggest the you bring the drums and bass up... a good amount, in fact (I have preached "louder drums" for a long time here).

Really enjoyed this. Replayed it several times as I typed this...

floyd

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Oh...one other thing...

There's nothing wrong with mixing in headphones. A good pair - or one that you "know" well - will get you really close. Don't let anyone tell you it is "wrong" somehow.

It is good to have a pair of studio monitors to finish with, but not an absolute necessity. Keep an eye out for a sale at the major online music retailers for an inexpensive pair of power monitors - no need for an amp (Stupid Deal will have them once in a while). For anyone who will be doing mixing on an on-going basis, it's a good idea... (saves all those trips to the car).

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Really well done, Phil! I loved the groove here - it instantly got my toe tapping along. The uplifting nature of the tune really helped keep my attention. The vocal performance is spot on, too. I can't help but imagine how good this would sound in a live setting.

Great work - thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
There, I upped the volume on the guitar solo a bit. Good catch. You know, you listen to these things SO many times while you're mixing sometimes it all becomes sound soup. :-D

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Phil,

I really enjoyed this.

It had a real R.E.M. feel to it. Don't know if that sounds like an odd reference but it sounds like something from their early "great" years.

Very well done!

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Good point. I just went back and re-edited and threw the lyrics at the end of the post.

Also, I have (in the last half hour) upped the volume on the guitar solo and a little on the drums.

I, too, like the drums and bass a bit more prominent. I had set them here because Bob coached me, and I agree, to make sure the lead vocal stands out above the mix and it was getting lost when I upped them much more.

Before this my mixes were all pretty much mono. That's going to change now. This one's stereo, and that helps a lot.

By the way, I really loved your "Mistakes". I'm a pretty big Jimmy Buffett fan - that one would be right up his alley.

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thank you!

I liked early REM ... back in the early 80's, I was much more into 1960's and early 1970's music, and when REM hit the scene their sound reminded me a lot of The Byrds -- that bright jangly sound. I've always liked that.

I have an eclectic set of influences... Gordon Lightfoot, John Denver, Beatles, Byrds ... Beach Boys ... Eagles .... R. Carlos Nakai :-) and probably a bunch I don't even think about. Oh, and of course, Jimmy Buffett.

Last edited by Phil Leith; 04/17/18 07:38 AM.
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
I seriously appreciate the advice.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
First I've heard from you Phil and I really like it! I like that the fact that you used your own acoustic guitar tracks in this! BIAB is so easy to blend our own tracks with! I like the driving feel of this (kind of sounds like Jimmy Buffet went to the Rockies). Anyway, great tune and I look forward to more from you! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Thanks, Torrey. I really enjoyed listening to some of your tracks on soundcloud.

The cool thing here is ... I worked the chords out in BIAB at the same tempo as my already existing Reaper project with all of my tracks in it, exported the two tracks I wanted from BIAB... then muted my midi drum and faked bass track out in my reaper project, dropped these in and started re-mixing. Fit like old furniture joints. I will probably do something similar with several of my tracks. And several of them will be almost all BIAB backing tracks.

Working on one of those now.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Phil, I really like the country rock feel of this. I can picture myself back in Estes Park. It's been too many years. Great vocals and I like the write. As far as the mix, I'm not getting any bass and the kick sounds like it's got a high end click on top of it. I mix entirely in headphones and tried to go to monitors but I ended up back in the phones. (Audio Technica MTH-50x) Worth every penny. I know you're gonna have some good ones showing up here in the future. Enjoyed the listen, Tom

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,481
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195